Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Continuing racism on social media 23:20 - May 27 with 1239 viewsRyorry

How on earth is this still being allowed to go unchecked? Surely needs to be raised in Parliament, new legislation & enforcement now urgently required?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Continuing racism on social media on 23:35 - May 27 with 1205 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

I remember Starmer talking about this is one of his hustings. He said that when he was DPP he spoke to the media companies and their answer was, unless it’s terrorism they weren’t getting involved.

The simple answer is make sure everyone who registers has idea, but that makes no sense from a business standpoint, so these companies won’t do it.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Continuing racism on social media on 10:33 - May 28 with 997 viewsRyorry

Continuing racism on social media on 23:35 - May 27 by TRUE_BLUE123

I remember Starmer talking about this is one of his hustings. He said that when he was DPP he spoke to the media companies and their answer was, unless it’s terrorism they weren’t getting involved.

The simple answer is make sure everyone who registers has idea, but that makes no sense from a business standpoint, so these companies won’t do it.

Interesting answer from Starmer that (I wasn't aware, thanks). So they *could* do it, and would if it were terrorism - but can't be bovverred, as it's "only" racism.

I think imposing crippling fines would ensure they did "get involved". Guess it's too much to expect that this particular Govt. will lift a finger to do anything though

Continuing racism on social media on 10:41 - May 28 with 989 viewsmikeybloo88

All I'd say is don't go on social media if you not want to be exposed to some of the dregs in society...at least until it is better regulated. I can only assume celebrities do it as their egos or PR companies demand that their words and actions are too important to deny from their followers. This in no way condones the racist or other abuse which abounds...I don't understand how people get off on it.
Continuing racism on social media on 10:48 - May 28 with 980 viewsDanTheMan

Continuing racism on social media on 10:41 - May 28 by mikeybloo88

All I'd say is don't go on social media if you not want to be exposed to some of the dregs in society...at least until it is better regulated. I can only assume celebrities do it as their egos or PR companies demand that their words and actions are too important to deny from their followers. This in no way condones the racist or other abuse which abounds...I don't understand how people get off on it.

Isn't that just blaming the victim though? I do understand what you're saying but I feel he should be able to use social media without getting abused, even if we both know it will happen.

On the topic though, the problem is essentially just manpower.

If you don't automate the removal, it relies on people reporting each bad comment and then someone looking through each reported comment and making a judgment call. Given they've got around ~200million active users, that is quite the task, without even going into the ways it's open to abuse such as mass reporting.

If you do automate it (which is the way it's usually done on the whole) then you end up with things being removed that shouldn't have been which inevitably then becomes a "X company is stifling my free speech!".

I'm not saying they shouldn't solve it, just that it is a difficult problem to solve and do it well.

EDIT: https://blog.twitter.com/en_gb/topics/company/2020/no-room-for-racist-behaviour-

Here is Twitters take on it. As you can see they've moved towards an automated system.
[Post edited 28 May 2021 10:50]

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Continuing racism on social media on 10:49 - May 28 with 978 viewsRyorry

Continuing racism on social media on 10:41 - May 28 by mikeybloo88

It's not about me avoiding it though - I'm on Twitter & do avoid such dregs - it's the fact that Rashford & others continue having to experience it.

Just personally swerving the problem is not the answer.

Continuing racism on social media on 10:50 - May 28 with 970 viewsRyorry

Continuing racism on social media on 10:48 - May 28 by DanTheMan

Isn't that just blaming the victim though? I do understand what you're saying but I feel he should be able to use social media without getting abused, even if we both know it will happen.

On the topic though, the problem is essentially just manpower.

If you don't automate the removal, it relies on people reporting each bad comment and then someone looking through each reported comment and making a judgment call. Given they've got around ~200million active users, that is quite the task, without even going into the ways it's open to abuse such as mass reporting.

If you do automate it (which is the way it's usually done on the whole) then you end up with things being removed that shouldn't have been which inevitably then becomes a "X company is stifling my free speech!".

I'm not saying they shouldn't solve it, just that it is a difficult problem to solve and do it well.

EDIT: https://blog.twitter.com/en_gb/topics/company/2020/no-room-for-racist-behaviour-

Here is Twitters take on it. As you can see they've moved towards an automated system.
[Post edited 28 May 2021 10:50]

They make huge profits & there are currently large numbers of people looking for jobs!

Continuing racism on social media on 10:54 - May 28 with 962 viewsDanTheMan

Continuing racism on social media on 10:50 - May 28 by Ryorry

They make huge profits & there are currently large numbers of people looking for jobs!

I think even with the huge profits, they would struggle to catch it all.

The issue also becomes it's not just racism they would have to deal with, it would be things like child abuse. A lot of people in these roles burn out very fast and unsurprisingly not a lot of people want to do it.

Facebook got sued over it.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/12/21255870/facebook-content-moderator-settlemen

Continuing racism on social media on 10:58 - May 28 with 954 viewshype313

Continuing racism on social media on 10:50 - May 28 by Ryorry

Current rates say 5 million tweets sent a day, that's 6000 per second, even with huge unemployment, that's going some to try and filter through that.

Agree with you though, something needs to be done.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Login to get fewer ads

Continuing racism on social media on 11:00 - May 28 with 950 viewsRyorry

Continuing racism on social media on 10:54 - May 28 by DanTheMan

The issue also becomes it's not just racism they would have to deal with, it would be things like child abuse. A lot of people in these roles burn out very fast and unsurprisingly not a lot of people want to do it.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/12/21255870/facebook-content-moderator-settlemen

Thanks for the link, can of course understand people developing PTSD after continually having to view such horrendous material, but I do think moderating racism & racist language, rotten though it may be, wouldn't incur the same kind of trauma? I'm no expert tho.

Continuing racism on social media on 11:00 - May 28 with 949 viewsClapham_Junction

Continuing racism on social media on 23:35 - May 27 by TRUE_BLUE123

I don't think it is the full answer. Even if there was ID, it won't stop the racism - I regularly see racist comments being made on Facebook by people who aren't attempting to hide their identity. Potentially a bigger issue is that there is no consequences for them.

Arguably an even bigger issue is that these people feel emboldened into publicly airing their views by a governing party and former American president that have actively cultivated and embraced these people as voters for the past few years.
Continuing racism on social media on 11:04 - May 28 with 933 viewsSwansea_Blue

Continuing racism on social media on 10:54 - May 28 by DanTheMan

If it's not practical for them to self regulate, maybe it's time for a rethink about how social media operates? Obviously social media can be useful and occasionally it can be valuable (think of things like real time exchanging information in emergency situations). I wonder how the scales balance though in terms of positives versus negatives. There seem an awful lot of negatives from racism to bullying leading to suicides, dodgy campaigning, etc. Are the costs worth it? Maybe we need a step back and to consider the wider role of the internet in society, much as the documentary The Social Dilemma was advocating for?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Continuing racism on social media on 11:04 - May 28 with 933 viewsRyorry

Continuing racism on social media on 10:58 - May 28 by hype313

Current rates say 5 million tweets sent a day, that's 6000 per second, even with huge unemployment, that's going some to try and filter through that.

Can see the problem, but other Twitter users are actually quite good at flagging up when racism & other abuse is going on - it needs more moderators to respond more quickly to what they're being alerted to.

Continuing racism on social media on 11:17 - May 28 with 909 viewsSwansea_Blue

Continuing racism on social media on 11:04 - May 28 by Ryorry

Can see the problem, but other Twitter users are actually quite good at flagging up when racism & other abuse is going on - it needs more moderators to respond more quickly to what they're being alerted to.

Something certainly need to change. I don't tend to look at it anymore as it's a time suck, and I've already got one of them in this place! But when I looked at it more often Ian Wright always used to post the examples of the DMs he'd receive. It was vile toxic stuff, and very regular. Nobody should have to face that.

Continuing racism on social media on 11:18 - May 28 with 908 viewsSwansea_Blue

Continuing racism on social media on 11:04 - May 28 by Ryorry

Something certainly need to change. I don't tend to look at it anymore as it's a time suck, and I've already got one of them in this place! But when I looked at it more often Ian Wright always used to post the examples of the DMs he'd receive. It was vile toxic stuff, and very regular. Nobody should have to face that.

just to add, I don't think a weekend blackout is anywhere near enough of a statement either. If anything it only shows how wedded (addicted?) people are to these sites. Now, a month's blackout may be a different matter and make the companies sit up and take notice.

Continuing racism on social media on 11:29 - May 28 with 886 viewsDanTheMan

Continuing racism on social media on 11:00 - May 28 by Ryorry

Thanks for the link, can of course understand people developing PTSD after continually having to view such horrendous material, but I do think moderating racism & racist language, rotten though it may be, wouldn't incur the same kind of trauma? I'm no expert tho.

You could certainly have a team that just focusses on all the other stuff.

It's hard for me to say whether it's feasible to have a dedicated team to be able to handle every abuse report without knowing how many they get. I think if it was as simple as just hiring a team to deal with it, they would have done it by now given pressure from Governments and campaigners. This goes for other social media sites as well.

Of course when it comes to private messages, it relies on the person receiving the abuse to report it to. So they still unfortunately have to read it and then report it, which is usually followed by a ban. But that won't stop someone really, they can just make a new account and continue on. The whole system is just a bit broken.
[Post edited 28 May 2021 11:30]

Continuing racism on social media on 12:26 - May 28 with 841 viewsCaptainAhab

The problem seems to be as well as the difficulty (or lack of desire) to enforce against it, how much of the population seem to excuse it as an occupational hazard for footballers.
Eg, on the Times website this morning a commentator wrote:

"The easiest thing to do is stop using social media. Surely being a football player alone should be enough to feed their own narcissistic tendencies. Also, stop coming out in public about it, as you are just feeding the message senders ego's.
I also think the bombardment of anti-racism messages and (the now pointless) "taking the knee" gesture is antagonising a lot of people and fuelling the behaviour. Tone the message volume down a bit and stop sounding so preachy."

So essentially he, and many others, think it's black footballers fault for being on social media, complaining about it, and making a stand against it.
I called him on his victim blaming, but no doubt if I get a reply I'll be accused of being too woke.

This sort of acceptance and blame is a big part of the problem and it's sickening to see.
Continuing racism on social media on 13:21 - May 28 with 787 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Perhaps they should go down the route of having to prove who you are to sign up?

I left FB it's just a cess pit of bots, fake or anon accounts.
Continuing racism on social media on 15:23 - May 28 with 734 viewssolomon

We only hear about the abuse high profile players get, I’m sure this affects many others not so well known but of course has exactly the same effect on the victims, it’s a truly shocking state of affairs and one that’s needs immediate action, I’m saddened but not surprised, just look at the pathetic punishments uefa have handed out to countries and teams that have openly abused black players on the pitch from the terraces.
Continuing racism on social media on 16:24 - May 28 with 692 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Continuing racism on social media on 11:00 - May 28 by Clapham_Junction

I don't think it is the full answer. Even if there was ID, it won't stop the racism - I regularly see racist comments being made on Facebook by people who aren't attempting to hide their identity. Potentially a bigger issue is that there is no consequences for them.

Arguably an even bigger issue is that these people feel emboldened into publicly airing their views by a governing party and former American president that have actively cultivated and embraced these people as voters for the past few years.

But in terms of punishment, as there is no incentive for many to stop as they are practically anonymous and they dont care. If we can track everyone down, at least there could be consequences.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Continuing racism on social media on 21:17 - May 28 with 635 viewsm14_blue

Continuing racism on social media on 10:58 - May 28 by hype313

Hate to be that guy but that maths don’t seem right to me....

Either way, it’s a lot.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024