Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... 21:10 - Jun 6 with 8896 viewsReuser_is_God

...that have resurfaced this week.

That’s utterly ridiculous isn’t it?

Surely people can see that he’s changed in that time? He was 18 ffs.

Also, who even has the time on their hands to dig this stuff out?
[Post edited 6 Jun 2021 21:26]

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 18:15 - Jun 7 with 1347 viewsstonojnr

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 13:53 - Jun 7 by DanTheMan

I can see why this needs to go all the way to the Prime Minister... I'm sure he does not have better things to be talking about.

Im sure he does, but its because the press literally asked the question in the lobby briefing and expected a reply, not because they are remotely interested in what the PM thinks of this, but whether it shows with a reshuffle promised in the autumn, if the culture secretary loses support of the PM, he might be looking for a seat on the back benches,or if the PM supports him, maybe theres a promotion.

so the press asked I suspect simply does the PM back the Culture secretarys tweet,and the PMs spokesperson gave the answer, thats all there is to that.

regardless the ECB are right to have done what they did and hold this investigation and make him unavailable for selection as thats their normal disciplinary process regardless of whether you are an England international or just a county cricketer, had this come to light months ago the exact same process should have been followed though likely not carried out without this much attention.

The real issue is the ECB didnt explain that properly,or in the days during the game, when they should have made clear this was going to happen and the apology, whilst welcome, wasnt going to change that. Even though the cricketing media should have known it and not decided to drop it late as some big shock news after the close of play, and so it all feels a bit like he gets penalised twice for something that felt like it had kind of been dealt with, but wasnt really satisfactory if theyd just left it as they did.

so a disciplinary panel will convene at some point, which he will attend and theyll fine him for breaches of the ECB code of conduct for players, possibily on a 12month probation, made to attend training/rehabilitation which might be to take part in outreach programmes and banned for so many test games as an England cricketer, which may well be backdated to include his suspension now.

but I cant see him playing for England again this summer, which rules him out of the Ashes squad at the very least, unless they get into really dire straits with fitness/injuries of other players, which they are meant to be rotating to prevent.

Im not sure what his future England prospects are either. remember Joe Root was senior enough a player to be stand in captain at Yorkshire in 2014, so would be very familar with the stuff Gillespie has alluded to around Robinsons sacking, and Root now has a bigger say since the shake up of selectors in England selection, and I thought notably hasnt provided any hint of support for him, beyond just getting him through that game, throughout, as neither did any of the England backroom staff on media duties.
Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 18:29 - Jun 7 with 1320 viewsFenland_Blue

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 22:03 - Jun 6 by vapour_trail

That’s that then is it? Case closed. I think the ecb are probably well advised to do some due diligence

I find it pretty ironic that Robinson is being punished for decade old tweets, but are happily employing an overseas hundred coach, who was previously found guilty and banned for 5 matches for racially abusing Sri Lanka players.

Not the fact another hundred coach was banned for taking drugs and previously being caught taking payments from Indian bookmakers.

But are completely ignoring the current racial investigation at Yorkshire.

Up and mainly down, following Town since 88

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 18:31 - Jun 7 with 1319 viewsbluelagos

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 18:29 - Jun 7 by Fenland_Blue

I find it pretty ironic that Robinson is being punished for decade old tweets, but are happily employing an overseas hundred coach, who was previously found guilty and banned for 5 matches for racially abusing Sri Lanka players.

Not the fact another hundred coach was banned for taking drugs and previously being caught taking payments from Indian bookmakers.

But are completely ignoring the current racial investigation at Yorkshire.

?hundred coach

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 18:46 - Jun 7 with 1306 viewsEwan_Oozami

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 18:31 - Jun 7 by bluelagos

?hundred coach

https://www.thehundred.com/

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 19:00 - Jun 7 with 1286 viewsRadlett_blue

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 15:26 - Jun 7 by MaySixth

I assume Craig Overton's 2014 suspension has been mentioned on here?

The vast majority know nothing about it yet he could play this week as a replacement for a racist.

ECB in a tricky position.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2021 15:27]

Indeed, as the governing body of a racially mixed sport, the ECB can't ignore the issue. However, hopefully the suspension for some ill advised tweets when a teenager will be short & Robinson can undergo some sort of education programme. He'll deservedly be in hot water if any repetition now that he's a senior player.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 19:42 - Jun 7 with 1263 viewsRyorry

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 19:00 - Jun 7 by Radlett_blue

Indeed, as the governing body of a racially mixed sport, the ECB can't ignore the issue. However, hopefully the suspension for some ill advised tweets when a teenager will be short & Robinson can undergo some sort of education programme. He'll deservedly be in hot water if any repetition now that he's a senior player.

I think one of the problems May6th was referring to when he mentioned Craig Overton is the inconsistency of the ECB. Overton, then age 20, came out with an overtly racist comment to Ashar Zaidi ("go back to your own f**king country’) during a county match - and has never apologised for it ...

The Guardian article I linked earlier commented - "the ECB’s independent disciplinary panel controversially decided on a level one punishment for abusive language — rather than a level three for abuse related to “race or national origin”. Overton incurred an automatic two-match ban because of two previous minor offences on his record".

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 20:14 - Jun 7 with 1229 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I have just listened to Michael Carberry on this one. It is noteworthy I am white middle class and have never experienced racism from anyone. It seems reasonable that a punishment has been enforced.

I hope Ollie Robinson truly has changed and I hope this is a lesson to anyone that their actions will potentially have future consequences and that, if they have a past and change, they need to take more action to put it right than Robinson has done.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 20:19 - Jun 7 with 1221 viewspointofblue

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 19:42 - Jun 7 by Ryorry

I think one of the problems May6th was referring to when he mentioned Craig Overton is the inconsistency of the ECB. Overton, then age 20, came out with an overtly racist comment to Ashar Zaidi ("go back to your own f**king country’) during a county match - and has never apologised for it ...

The Guardian article I linked earlier commented - "the ECB’s independent disciplinary panel controversially decided on a level one punishment for abusive language — rather than a level three for abuse related to “race or national origin”. Overton incurred an automatic two-match ban because of two previous minor offences on his record".

The irony being one of the players being lined up to replace Robinson is Craig Overton.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Login to get fewer ads

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 21:07 - Jun 7 with 1187 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 20:14 - Jun 7 by Nthsuffolkblue

I have just listened to Michael Carberry on this one. It is noteworthy I am white middle class and have never experienced racism from anyone. It seems reasonable that a punishment has been enforced.

I hope Ollie Robinson truly has changed and I hope this is a lesson to anyone that their actions will potentially have future consequences and that, if they have a past and change, they need to take more action to put it right than Robinson has done.

Just listened to more of the Carberry interview.

Clearly calling Johnson and his Government out for their support of racism.

Not that many of the electorate will care.

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 21:24 - Jun 7 with 1162 viewsRyorry

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 20:19 - Jun 7 by pointofblue

The irony being one of the players being lined up to replace Robinson is Craig Overton.

I know. As May6th pointed out in his post that I replied to.

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 22:10 - Jun 7 with 1127 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 21:07 - Jun 7 by Nthsuffolkblue

Just listened to more of the Carberry interview.

Clearly calling Johnson and his Government out for their support of racism.

Not that many of the electorate will care.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/cricket/12327201/carbery-no-respect

Worth a listen.

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 22:54 - Jun 7 with 1090 viewspointofblue

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 21:24 - Jun 7 by Ryorry

I know. As May6th pointed out in his post that I replied to.

Ah sorry, missed the original post!

I suppose I may as well say something controversial - I wonder if Carberry’s stance, below, unintentionally increases the divide? Whilst I understand where he’s coming from in saying there’s no way back for Robinson and that people don’t change it creates a “no way back” narrative that re-education and talking does. That on turns feed and helps those who do not want to try society’s ills and problems; if those who make comments such as Robinson are isolated from society and not allowed a chance to redeem themselves and, hopefully, learn a better way then they’ll just become easy prey for those who kike spreading hate and division. I hasten to add that some are irredeemable but then isolation causes no harm, as they would embrace those messages no matter what. Is Robinson one of those? I guess that’s what the investigation will hope to find out.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/cricket/england-cricket-told-weed-out-24267912

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 23:10 - Jun 7 with 1083 viewspointofblue

ECB looks into historical ‘offensive’ social media post from second England player: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/57393217

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 09:47 - Jun 8 with 1000 viewsRadlett_blue

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 23:10 - Jun 7 by pointofblue

ECB looks into historical ‘offensive’ social media post from second England player: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/57393217

This may be Dom Bess, who recently de-activated his Twitter account & allegedly put out a tweet poking fun at the Indian national anthem when he was 15.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 12:10 - Jun 8 with 972 viewsRyorry

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 22:54 - Jun 7 by pointofblue

Ah sorry, missed the original post!

I suppose I may as well say something controversial - I wonder if Carberry’s stance, below, unintentionally increases the divide? Whilst I understand where he’s coming from in saying there’s no way back for Robinson and that people don’t change it creates a “no way back” narrative that re-education and talking does. That on turns feed and helps those who do not want to try society’s ills and problems; if those who make comments such as Robinson are isolated from society and not allowed a chance to redeem themselves and, hopefully, learn a better way then they’ll just become easy prey for those who kike spreading hate and division. I hasten to add that some are irredeemable but then isolation causes no harm, as they would embrace those messages no matter what. Is Robinson one of those? I guess that’s what the investigation will hope to find out.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/cricket/england-cricket-told-weed-out-24267912

No problem, done that myself a few times, it's easy to do!

Not sure I fully understand the rest of your post, but if I've got the gist right, I think it's only the 'lock em up and throw away the key' brigade who'd find it "controversial" - most intelligent people would consider it better to have previous offenders inside the tent pi$$ing out, than outside the tent pi$$sing in, if only from a pragmatic point of view!

On a more serious level, it's arguable that those not allowed second chances and treated as pariahs permanently, can go go on to become resentful, alienated & vengeful & more likely to commit other, more serious crimes in future (which I think is what you were saying?).

JoeITFC has pointed out how Robinson has turned his behaviour around & is now a role model at his county; as I said in my first post in the thread, I think it's a pity that the ECB (so far) hasn't actually thought to use that in a positive way to educate others.

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 19:14 - Jun 8 with 903 viewspointofblue

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 12:10 - Jun 8 by Ryorry

No problem, done that myself a few times, it's easy to do!

Not sure I fully understand the rest of your post, but if I've got the gist right, I think it's only the 'lock em up and throw away the key' brigade who'd find it "controversial" - most intelligent people would consider it better to have previous offenders inside the tent pi$$ing out, than outside the tent pi$$sing in, if only from a pragmatic point of view!

On a more serious level, it's arguable that those not allowed second chances and treated as pariahs permanently, can go go on to become resentful, alienated & vengeful & more likely to commit other, more serious crimes in future (which I think is what you were saying?).

JoeITFC has pointed out how Robinson has turned his behaviour around & is now a role model at his county; as I said in my first post in the thread, I think it's a pity that the ECB (so far) hasn't actually thought to use that in a positive way to educate others.

Yes, that's exactly it, you just phrased it better than me.

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 19:29 - Jun 8 with 892 viewsSteve_M

As ever, George Dobell is worth reading on the subject:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/ollie-robinson-controversy-amnesty-may-offer-

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 00:48 - Jun 9 with 817 viewsRyorry

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 19:14 - Jun 8 by pointofblue

Yes, that's exactly it, you just phrased it better than me.

Too kind :)

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 02:10 - Jun 9 with 806 viewsXYZ

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 19:29 - Jun 8 by Steve_M

As ever, George Dobell is worth reading on the subject:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/ollie-robinson-controversy-amnesty-may-offer-

Not a huge fan of his, but that's a very good article.
Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 08:44 - Jun 9 with 742 viewspointofblue

Don’t think this has been posted already but Anderson, Buttler and Morgan are under the spotlight now:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/57407788

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024