Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A good tournament 08:20 - Jul 12 with 703 viewssolomon

It’s progress, of that there can be no doubt, there are no easy games but I can’t help but feel this tournament was very kind to us. Hopefully this young, diverse and socially aware group of players can do great things. Very proud of them all.
A good tournament on 09:11 - Jul 12 with 655 viewsdavblue

We need to be braver and bolder if we are going to win a tournament.

I know people will point to us losing on penalties with our current style of play but in the long term if you are serious about winning these things we have to be more attacking in our play.

Thought Mancini out coached Southgate from the 25 minute and we resembled a Mick McCarthy team from that moment on. I was a little surprised about how little of the ball we had from that moment.

Progress yes, but still some way from being good enough to win it. We have to find that deep lying playmaker, who can play on the half turn, that would transform this team.

I do wonder if we could use Foden there with the attacking players we have.
A good tournament on 09:15 - Jul 12 with 651 viewshomer_123

A good tournament on 09:11 - Jul 12 by davblue

I know people will point to us losing on penalties with our current style of play but in the long term if you are serious about winning these things we have to be more attacking in our play.

Thought Mancini out coached Southgate from the 25 minute and we resembled a Mick McCarthy team from that moment on. I was a little surprised about how little of the ball we had from that moment.

Progress yes, but still some way from being good enough to win it. We have to find that deep lying playmaker, who can play on the half turn, that would transform this team.

I talked yesterday about us not being brave enough - conceding too much possession to a very good Italian side.

Yes, we are progressing and this young side can get better and better but we will not have a better chance to win both the Euros and the WC I don't believe.

For all the talk of progress and this squad being in it for the long term, that is all very correct and as it should be. But winners take their chances.

Let's not forget that Italy didn't qualify for the World Cup and now they have won the Euros - so whilst I agree we should look more long term and that this team, if they continue in this trajectory should have opportunities again, football doesn't always work that way.

We've missed two golden opportunities - there is no shying away from that. Here's hoping we can go again and go one step further in the WC.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

A good tournament on 09:31 - Jul 12 with 619 viewsWeWereZombies

I think Foden's main strengths show up on the wings and to be consistently good against all forms of opposition England need a rock solid creative presence in the middle of the park. Bielsa is, apparently, converting Kalvin Phillips to a defensive midfielder from the box to box player he was but at just twenty five there is time for Phillips to develop his game further and maybe he could play a different role for England than the one he plays for Leeds. I'm not saying the team should be built around him but he could remain a very significant piece of the jigsaw that is a winning team.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

A good tournament on 09:32 - Jul 12 with 612 viewsdavblue

A good tournament on 09:15 - Jul 12 by homer_123

I talked yesterday about us not being brave enough - conceding too much possession to a very good Italian side.

Yes, we are progressing and this young side can get better and better but we will not have a better chance to win both the Euros and the WC I don't believe.

For all the talk of progress and this squad being in it for the long term, that is all very correct and as it should be. But winners take their chances.

Let's not forget that Italy didn't qualify for the World Cup and now they have won the Euros - so whilst I agree we should look more long term and that this team, if they continue in this trajectory should have opportunities again, football doesn't always work that way.

We've missed two golden opportunities - there is no shying away from that. Here's hoping we can go again and go one step further in the WC.

We won't win it playing that style we did in this Euro's.

Germany will be better, Brazil although not vintage will be tough as will Argentina, that's to name 3 teams at least.
A good tournament on 09:33 - Jul 12 with 609 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

We lost on pens.

That does not reflect being 'someway off'.

Nonsense.

Let's give Southgate and the lads some credit.

Great tournament.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

A good tournament on 09:33 - Jul 12 with 612 viewsKropotkin123

We were ranked 3rd in Europe coming into the tournament and played the 6th, 7th, 8th and 10th ranked teams. We didn't concede until the semi-final and non of the two goals we conceded were from open play. We were very well organised defensively and show some great play in the tournament. We swept aside Ukraine, when other teams like France bottled their "easier" games.

Tournaments seem kind when you do well and progress. If Maguire* hadn't lost his man at the corner, then we'd be here celebrating a tournament win. Team did us proud, and we shouldn't cheapen their efforts.

So many tournaments in the past we turn up looking like a group of individuals. The past two tournaments we look like an actual team, which is a large part of why we have done better.

*I think, haven't watched the replay this morning
[Post edited 12 Jul 2021 9:48]

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

A good tournament on 09:34 - Jul 12 with 604 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Croatia, Czech Republic, Germany, Denmark. They are no mugs.

Do u expect us to play Spain, France, Germany and Italy on the way?

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

A good tournament on 09:36 - Jul 12 with 597 viewsdavblue

A good tournament on 09:31 - Jul 12 by WeWereZombies

I think Foden's main strengths show up on the wings and to be consistently good against all forms of opposition England need a rock solid creative presence in the middle of the park. Bielsa is, apparently, converting Kalvin Phillips to a defensive midfielder from the box to box player he was but at just twenty five there is time for Phillips to develop his game further and maybe he could play a different role for England than the one he plays for Leeds. I'm not saying the team should be built around him but he could remain a very significant piece of the jigsaw that is a winning team.

Foden is a 10 for me.

Mount looks a shoe in under Southgate there, Sancho needs to be in the team as well going forward.

Foden will have the ability to play there. For all of Phillips qualities, he's not a ping it around dictate the tempo type of midfielder, he's been very good as the ball winner but you have Rice there as well.
Login to get fewer ads

A good tournament on 09:40 - Jul 12 with 581 viewsdavblue

A good tournament on 09:33 - Jul 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

We lost on pens.

That does not reflect being 'someway off'.

Nonsense.

Let's give Southgate and the lads some credit.

Great tournament.

i saw us get totally outplayed by Italy for 65 minutes it was like watching a Mick McCarthy team against better opposition.

They have done well, im not disputing that but to win a tournament you need to be braver and bolder in the way you play hanging on for 65 minutes won win you these tournaments.
A good tournament on 09:43 - Jul 12 with 570 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

A good tournament on 09:40 - Jul 12 by davblue

i saw us get totally outplayed by Italy for 65 minutes it was like watching a Mick McCarthy team against better opposition.

They have done well, im not disputing that but to win a tournament you need to be braver and bolder in the way you play hanging on for 65 minutes won win you these tournaments.

Losing by one penalty kick is not "someway off" by any definition.

Well done to Southgate and the boys, literally went beyond everybody's expectations.

A good tournament on 09:45 - Jul 12 with 563 viewsKropotkin123

A good tournament on 09:36 - Jul 12 by davblue

Foden is a 10 for me.

Mount looks a shoe in under Southgate there, Sancho needs to be in the team as well going forward.

Foden will have the ability to play there. For all of Phillips qualities, he's not a ping it around dictate the tempo type of midfielder, he's been very good as the ball winner but you have Rice there as well.

I think going forward you could put someone more attacking alongside Philips than Rice. Philips had a cracking tournament. Most tackles won in the tournament, 15th in ball recovery (3rd out of DMs). Only Jorginho and Hojbjerg could be considered on his level this tournament as DMs.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

A good tournament on 10:20 - Jul 12 with 525 viewssolomon

A good tournament on 09:34 - Jul 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

Croatia, Czech Republic, Germany, Denmark. They are no mugs.

Do u expect us to play Spain, France, Germany and Italy on the way?

We had a good tournament and a good route to the final, just saying the World Cup will be a far harder test, I’m more confident of a good 2022 than I was before this tournament. That said we must not rest on our laurels and believe we just have to turn up, you’re only as good as your last game. We’ve made a good start just need to keep improving now.
A good tournament on 10:29 - Jul 12 with 507 viewschicoazul

England have got to improve in centre midfield. They need a player and ideally a couple who can take the ball on the half turn look up and move it forward. Rice and Phillips are a redoubtable pair but don’t offer that. Foden is hopefully the answer. I’d say other than that they look very strong and will have more success over the next 3 or 4 tournaments with these players.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

A good tournament on 10:29 - Jul 12 with 504 viewsmikeybloo88

A good tournament on 09:45 - Jul 12 by Kropotkin123

I think going forward you could put someone more attacking alongside Philips than Rice. Philips had a cracking tournament. Most tackles won in the tournament, 15th in ball recovery (3rd out of DMs). Only Jorginho and Hojbjerg could be considered on his level this tournament as DMs.

I thought Rice had a great game last night, even beating players and making breaks...but he seems to run out of ideas and is a bit one paced. I think Phillips and Bellingham together might ultimately be better...
A good tournament on 10:30 - Jul 12 with 501 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

A good tournament on 10:20 - Jul 12 by solomon

We had a good tournament and a good route to the final, just saying the World Cup will be a far harder test, I’m more confident of a good 2022 than I was before this tournament. That said we must not rest on our laurels and believe we just have to turn up, you’re only as good as your last game. We’ve made a good start just need to keep improving now.

Southgate and the players won't rest on their laurels that's for sure.

Many finalists and winners of major tournaments have so called easy routes, that's just the nature of football.

We've got to the semi final and final of our last two tournaments, so we should be equipped for a good 2022.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024