Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lions team for Saturday 10:44 - Jul 21 with 1633 viewsKeno

Hogg;
A Watson,
Daly,
Henshaw,
Van Der Merwe;
Biggar,
Price;
W Jones,
Cowan-Dickie,
Furlong,
Itoje,
AW Jones (capt),
Lawes,
Curry,
Conan.

Not too many arguments there, tho I was impressed with Marcus Smith and would have liked to see him on bench instead of Farrell

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Lions team for Saturday on 10:47 - Jul 21 with 1211 viewshype313

Can't believe the return of AWJ, if he is back fully fit then that is a massive boost.

Van Der Merwe could be our danger man, been very impressed with him.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Lions team for Saturday on 10:48 - Jul 21 with 1206 viewsmunstermanagement

Farrell off the bench us good if you want to close a game down or chip away with penalties, but if you're really chasing it, Smith has the potential to open up play and change a game in heartbeat.
Lions team for Saturday on 10:49 - Jul 21 with 1197 viewsKeno

Lions team for Saturday on 10:47 - Jul 21 by hype313

Can't believe the return of AWJ, if he is back fully fit then that is a massive boost.

Van Der Merwe could be our danger man, been very impressed with him.

Im assuming he is fit otherwise why take the risk

Harsh on Beirne and Beard but a fit AWJ cant be argued against
[Post edited 21 Jul 2021 10:50]

Lions team for Saturday on 10:51 - Jul 21 with 1189 viewsKeno

Lions team for Saturday on 10:48 - Jul 21 by munstermanagement

Farrell off the bench us good if you want to close a game down or chip away with penalties, but if you're really chasing it, Smith has the potential to open up play and change a game in heartbeat.

Farrell is as likely to concede a penalty and to my mind has become rather one dimensional at times

He's no ROG!!

Lions team for Saturday on 10:56 - Jul 21 with 1166 viewsyorkshireblue

Lions team for Saturday on 10:48 - Jul 21 by munstermanagement

Farrell adds flexibility - Him and Daly cover the entire backline from 10 outwards. Plus, Smith has had a handful of training sessions (after a long and remarkable season) and that's it. Whilst I wouldn't put him past getting a spot on the test team by test three - it is too early for him as Gatland said after the game on Saturday. I actually feel Faz over Smith is a more positive selection - he has better game management and it's a sign that we feel we will be ahead (or close to) and want a 'finisher' as Eddie would say to close the game out... rather than saying we could be behind so we need someone to chase the game for us (and as the Prem semi final showed - boy can Smith do that)

This team (with the exception of Williams instead of Henderson) is the one that was 'leaked' yesterday to The Times. Someone has some explaining to do....
Lions team for Saturday on 10:58 - Jul 21 with 1162 viewsyorkshireblue

Lions team for Saturday on 10:51 - Jul 21 by Keno

Farrell is as likely to concede a penalty and to my mind has become rather one dimensional at times

He's no ROG!!

This ROG?

Lions team for Saturday on 10:58 - Jul 21 with 1162 viewschicoazul

Very surprised at; Daly ahead of Akee, Hogg ahead of Williams, AWJ full stop, Conan ahead of Faletau.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Lions team for Saturday on 11:07 - Jul 21 with 1131 viewsMookamoo

Lions team for Saturday on 10:58 - Jul 21 by chicoazul

Very surprised at; Daly ahead of Akee, Hogg ahead of Williams, AWJ full stop, Conan ahead of Faletau.

Think I would have had Williams ahead of Hogg too. Van Der Merwe could be the token Scot.
[Post edited 21 Jul 2021 11:08]
Login to get fewer ads

Lions team for Saturday on 11:32 - Jul 21 with 1095 viewschicoazul

Lions team for Saturday on 11:07 - Jul 21 by Mookamoo

Think I would have had Williams ahead of Hogg too. Van Der Merwe could be the token Scot.
[Post edited 21 Jul 2021 11:08]

Oh yeah I’m surprised Curry is in there too ahead of Henderson. But Gat said it’s the toughest selection he has ever had to make with the Lions so fair enough.
My main worry is our midfield looks a bit dare I say lightweight; Henshaw Biggar and Daly.
Edit; Watson not Henderson my mistake.
[Post edited 21 Jul 2021 11:58]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Lions team for Saturday on 11:38 - Jul 21 with 1073 viewssolemio

I know that Mako Vunipola is not the world's best scrummager but he has the ball handling skills of a top 3/4. I suppose Gatling had to play it safe and ensure that the scrum is as solid as possible.

Pity though.
Lions team for Saturday on 11:44 - Jul 21 with 1063 viewsDarth_Koont

Adams and Harris injured, I’m guessing as not even on the bench.

The only really, really contentious one for me is Lawes ahead of Beirne. But bringing on Beirne, Sinckler and Hamish Watson (Sutherland and Owens are pretty active too) for the last 30 may work even better.

Pronouns: He/Him

Lions team for Saturday on 11:46 - Jul 21 with 1043 viewsDarth_Koont

Lions team for Saturday on 11:32 - Jul 21 by chicoazul

Oh yeah I’m surprised Curry is in there too ahead of Henderson. But Gat said it’s the toughest selection he has ever had to make with the Lions so fair enough.
My main worry is our midfield looks a bit dare I say lightweight; Henshaw Biggar and Daly.
Edit; Watson not Henderson my mistake.
[Post edited 21 Jul 2021 11:58]

Gmpf. You don’t know much about rugby, do you?

Lions team for Saturday on 11:55 - Jul 21 with 1012 viewschicoazul

Lions team for Saturday on 11:46 - Jul 21 by Darth_Koont

Gmpf. You don’t know much about rugby, do you?

Here he is.
Lawes is in because he staples people better than anyone and we need a third jumper in the line out.

Lions team for Saturday on 12:00 - Jul 21 with 986 viewsDarth_Koont

Lions team for Saturday on 11:55 - Jul 21 by chicoazul

Here he is.
Lawes is in because he staples people better than anyone and we need a third jumper in the line out.

Yes, dear. That’s why I said Beirne as he’s a third jumper too.

Tell me why Henderson should be playing instead of ... checks notes ... Curry!!?

And there’s nothing lightweight about Biggar and Henshaw. Daly, you’d have a point but he’s been great with the ball so far so there’s a trade-off. But the midfield is absolutely fine “weight-wise”.

Lions team for Saturday on 12:02 - Jul 21 with 972 viewschicoazul

Lions team for Saturday on 12:00 - Jul 21 by Darth_Koont

Yes, dear. That’s why I said Beirne as he’s a third jumper too.

Tell me why Henderson should be playing instead of ... checks notes ... Curry!!?

And there’s nothing lightweight about Biggar and Henshaw. Daly, you’d have a point but he’s been great with the ball so far so there’s a trade-off. But the midfield is absolutely fine “weight-wise”.

Lawes is better than Britney. I said Henderson but meant Watson, please forgive me, I know you don’t like me but I’m doing my best!!11!

Edit Britney?? Beirne.
[Post edited 21 Jul 2021 12:03]

Lions team for Saturday on 12:07 - Jul 21 with 955 viewsDarth_Koont

Lions team for Saturday on 12:02 - Jul 21 by chicoazul

Lawes is better than Britney. I said Henderson but meant Watson, please forgive me, I know you don’t like me but I’m doing my best!!11!

Edit Britney?? Beirne.
[Post edited 21 Jul 2021 12:03]

Your “best”!?

Losers always whine about their “best”.

Lions team for Saturday on 12:09 - Jul 21 with 948 viewscatch74

Lions team for Saturday on 10:56 - Jul 21 by yorkshireblue

Farrell adds flexibility - Him and Daly cover the entire backline from 10 outwards. Plus, Smith has had a handful of training sessions (after a long and remarkable season) and that's it. Whilst I wouldn't put him past getting a spot on the test team by test three - it is too early for him as Gatland said after the game on Saturday. I actually feel Faz over Smith is a more positive selection - he has better game management and it's a sign that we feel we will be ahead (or close to) and want a 'finisher' as Eddie would say to close the game out... rather than saying we could be behind so we need someone to chase the game for us (and as the Prem semi final showed - boy can Smith do that)

This team (with the exception of Williams instead of Henderson) is the one that was 'leaked' yesterday to The Times. Someone has some explaining to do....

With the subs selected - 6-2 think there was no choice but Farrell and his flexibility.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Lions team for Saturday on 12:15 - Jul 21 with 921 viewschicoazul

Lions team for Saturday on 12:07 - Jul 21 by Darth_Koont

Your “best”!?

Losers always whine about their “best”.

Quoting your fellow absentee Nat there.

Lions team for Saturday on 12:23 - Jul 21 with 900 viewsDarth_Koont

Lions team for Saturday on 12:15 - Jul 21 by chicoazul

Quoting your fellow absentee Nat there.

Thanks! I had no idea.

Lions team for Saturday on 12:28 - Jul 21 with 887 viewsITFC_RDM

Some very surprising picks for me. Lawes over Beirne, Conan over Faletau. not for me.

Ali Price again isn't for me. I'd have gone with the other 2 over him. Knew Daly would start at 13, but not sure he should. Purely just a wide kicking option. How Josh Adams isn't in the team is beyond me... but there we go.

Gatland is a tactical genius though, and I can see his reasoning behind the selections.
Lions team for Saturday on 12:47 - Jul 21 with 841 viewsITFCed

AWJ is so overrated, Itoje will have to play 2 roles tomorrow. Backs look good to me, Adams may feel hard done by! Happy with the 9-10 combo too.

Poll: Who was the player of the tournament in your opinion?

Lions team for Saturday on 12:51 - Jul 21 with 831 viewsDarth_Koont

Lions team for Saturday on 12:28 - Jul 21 by ITFC_RDM

Some very surprising picks for me. Lawes over Beirne, Conan over Faletau. not for me.

Ali Price again isn't for me. I'd have gone with the other 2 over him. Knew Daly would start at 13, but not sure he should. Purely just a wide kicking option. How Josh Adams isn't in the team is beyond me... but there we go.

Gatland is a tactical genius though, and I can see his reasoning behind the selections.

I would agree Murray overall is better than Price. But think Price might fit a little better with Gatland’s game plan and tempo – little faster around the breakdown and quicker to get those forward/back combos going.

Murray and indeed Farrell look like closers who can slow things down and protect a lead/inch ahead in a tight game.

But the great thing about this series is it seems to be a mystery how it’s going to play out. There really isn’t the same first-choice XV of previous tours. And wouldn’t surprise me if it gets mixed about a bit over the next two Tests to keep the Springboks guessing.

Lions team for Saturday on 13:11 - Jul 21 with 798 viewsyorkshireblue

Lions team for Saturday on 11:44 - Jul 21 by Darth_Koont

Adams and Harris injured, I’m guessing as not even on the bench.

The only really, really contentious one for me is Lawes ahead of Beirne. But bringing on Beirne, Sinckler and Hamish Watson (Sutherland and Owens are pretty active too) for the last 30 may work even better.

Gatland said everyone except Russell was available for selection.
Lions team for Saturday on 13:20 - Jul 21 with 784 viewsDarth_Koont

Lions team for Saturday on 13:11 - Jul 21 by yorkshireblue

Gatland said everyone except Russell was available for selection.

Fair enough.

Still, based on the 6Nations and the tour so far, Adams and Beirne are the ones that look a little hard done by here. I’d like to think they’ll at least get starts before the series is over.

Lions team for Saturday on 13:56 - Jul 21 with 741 viewsITFC_RDM

Lions team for Saturday on 13:20 - Jul 21 by Darth_Koont

Fair enough.

Still, based on the 6Nations and the tour so far, Adams and Beirne are the ones that look a little hard done by here. I’d like to think they’ll at least get starts before the series is over.

And Faletau, who for me was the player of the 6 nations. done nothing wrong in the warm ups he's played in either. I think Conan is a fine rugby player, but he's not in Faletau's league.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024