Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Unusual stat? 20:53 - Aug 15 with 1370 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Can’t be many keepers who go 2 games without making a save. None of the goals have been down to him and surely the opposition 100% shots on target to goal ratio ends on Tuesday.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Unusual stat? on 21:09 - Aug 15 with 1299 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Usually it is a sign the defence is so tight they have prevented the opposition having shots.

When a keeper has conceded 4 goals from only 4 shots on target, that would usually put question marks against the keeper. That said, as you say, I don't think Hladky can take the blame for the goals at all.

It is an interesting stat.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Unusual stat? on 22:04 - Aug 15 with 1229 viewsHighgateBlue

What do people think of Hladky so far? I suppose it's hard to be bowled over when he hasn't made a save. But it's hard to see him as an obvious upgrade, for my money.
Unusual stat? on 09:33 - Aug 16 with 973 viewsGarv

Unusual stat? on 22:04 - Aug 15 by HighgateBlue

What do people think of Hladky so far? I suppose it's hard to be bowled over when he hasn't made a save. But it's hard to see him as an obvious upgrade, for my money.

Early days obviously but on first viewing against Morecambe I was wondering why so many were so confident he was a massive upgrade on Holy. He's fairly small for a keeper and was noticeably hesitant coming off his line for a few balls over the top, meaning the defender had to concede a cheap throw in. As you say though, he's not been tested yet.

I can still see Holy getting a few games. Form will come and go.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Unusual stat? on 09:37 - Aug 16 with 949 viewsDubtractor

Unusual stat? on 09:33 - Aug 16 by Garv

Early days obviously but on first viewing against Morecambe I was wondering why so many were so confident he was a massive upgrade on Holy. He's fairly small for a keeper and was noticeably hesitant coming off his line for a few balls over the top, meaning the defender had to concede a cheap throw in. As you say though, he's not been tested yet.

I can still see Holy getting a few games. Form will come and go.

I'm reluctant to say too much critical for fear of being labelled negative, but based on the Millwall friendly and the Morecambe game, I'm underwhelmed so far.

That said, he comes with a good record and highly rated, so perhaps it is just about settling in.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Unusual stat? on 09:41 - Aug 16 with 921 viewsJakeITFC

Unusual stat? on 21:09 - Aug 15 by Nthsuffolkblue

Usually it is a sign the defence is so tight they have prevented the opposition having shots.

When a keeper has conceded 4 goals from only 4 shots on target, that would usually put question marks against the keeper. That said, as you say, I don't think Hladky can take the blame for the goals at all.

Thought he could have done better for the Morecambe first last week, and was directly at fault for a Millwall goal in the friendly. Definitely not a perfect start from that perspective, but he looks confident and his distribution is a huge upgrade.
Unusual stat? on 10:14 - Aug 16 with 848 viewsTomTheWriter

Unusual stat? on 09:37 - Aug 16 by Dubtractor

I'm reluctant to say too much critical for fear of being labelled negative, but based on the Millwall friendly and the Morecambe game, I'm underwhelmed so far.

That said, he comes with a good record and highly rated, so perhaps it is just about settling in.

But you flip that over, and based on the Crystal Palace friendly he looks better than Bart ever did. Every pass was crisp, every long ball was straight to our striker, he held every shot from outside the box, caught every cross that came in the box. Stopped 4 point blank range shots expertly, and was only beaten by a penalty. If Holy was in goal that day, we would have shipped 6-7 goals he was that impressive. Not seen a goalkeeper performance like that in 5-6 years.

There was one shot in the second half from about 12 yards out, that went through Toto and was heading for the corner, and he somehow reacted quickly enough to palm it over having seen the ball for almost a second. Top class keeper, who last season faced 6-7 shots on target per game, and usually conceded none.

Blog: Where to Exploit and How to Avoid Being Exploited - Brentford

Unusual stat? on 10:26 - Aug 16 with 800 viewsSteve_M

Unusual stat? on 10:14 - Aug 16 by TomTheWriter

But you flip that over, and based on the Crystal Palace friendly he looks better than Bart ever did. Every pass was crisp, every long ball was straight to our striker, he held every shot from outside the box, caught every cross that came in the box. Stopped 4 point blank range shots expertly, and was only beaten by a penalty. If Holy was in goal that day, we would have shipped 6-7 goals he was that impressive. Not seen a goalkeeper performance like that in 5-6 years.

There was one shot in the second half from about 12 yards out, that went through Toto and was heading for the corner, and he somehow reacted quickly enough to palm it over having seen the ball for almost a second. Top class keeper, who last season faced 6-7 shots on target per game, and usually conceded none.

Despite one early mistake with a ball kicked into touch (wasn't a good ball back mind) I thought his kicking on Saturday with both feet was very good, there was a quick throw out too at one stage which lead to a decent break.

Not much chance with the goals conceded int e two league games, although i think Jake is right re: Morecombe's first. A lesser mistake than some of those in front of him but would have expected a bit more.

Your comments on Palace re nice to see, hopefully it won;t be a case of him being better when active all game as he might not have too much to do at times if we get going properly.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Unusual stat? on 10:30 - Aug 16 with 771 viewsCaptMickMills

Unusual stat? on 21:09 - Aug 15 by Nthsuffolkblue

Actually think Holy might have saved a couple of the goals as he is not bad at coming out and blocking due to his size. His supposes weakness of being flatfooted and nit diving and Hladky's supposed strength at shot stopping has not been relevant.

No I am not writing off Hladky but just saying as the first 2 games panned out Holy may have done better with the goals.
Login to get fewer ads

Unusual stat? on 10:30 - Aug 16 with 772 viewsSomethingBlue

Think he deserved more credit than he got for the ball that Norwood flicked on for Bonne's goal vs Morecambe too. Great leap from Norwood but the long pass from Hladky was well weighted and deliberate at an absolute pressure point in the game and gave him the chance to do it.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Unusual stat? on 10:32 - Aug 16 with 759 viewsDubtractor

I'm glad to hear that, didn't see that game so wasn't aware.

And as per other posts his kicking is a big improvement.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Unusual stat? on 10:35 - Aug 16 with 740 viewsHighgateBlue

His record is certainly impressive. I didn't see the Palace game, so thanks for the detail on that. Obviously early days, and I just hope that we can sort of defence to such an extent that he doesn't need to dig us out of holes every week.
Unusual stat? on 11:00 - Aug 16 with 673 viewsTomTheWriter

Unusual stat? on 10:35 - Aug 16 by HighgateBlue

His record is certainly impressive. I didn't see the Palace game, so thanks for the detail on that. Obviously early days, and I just hope that we can sort of defence to such an extent that he doesn't need to dig us out of holes every week.

I'll reply here but this is a general post to all who replied to mine.

Steve_M -> his kicking has always been a good part of his game. Of all the keepers in League 1 this season, he has the 3rd most accurate short passes and 6th most accurate long passes. Always good with his feet. Probably could have done better with the first goal, but he probably expected one of Woolf, Evans or Penney to have put a bit of effort in the block the run.

SomethingBlue -> yep was an excellently waited pass, aimed directly at the one player on the pitch who you wanted on the end of the long ball. had to get the direction perfect, and he did.

Dubtractor -> Palace was the first game I saw of Hladky, and it was the first time in a few years I didn't feel tense or anxious when the ball was put into the box, or someone had a pop shot. weird feeling.

HighgateBlue -> Hladky looks like one of those keeper that thrives of being tested. Palace's first shot on target in the game I think was within the first 10 minutes, and it was a long shot that was an easy save, but he felt the ball in his gloves, and that gives keeper's confidence. Hard to be a bystander one second, and then suddenly your centre back gives the ball away and within seconds you're in a 1-on-1

Blog: Where to Exploit and How to Avoid Being Exploited - Brentford

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024