Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? 18:32 - Sep 7 with 4739 viewsPippin1970

After today's NI increases going to divide a lot of people. I work 50 hrs a week plus work 2 nights a week. If I didn't would struggle financially. I'm sure others in same boat
[Post edited 7 Sep 2021 18:33]
Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 15:10 - Sep 8 with 446 viewssolomon

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 13:32 - Sep 8 by mutters

One of the members of the Labour shadow cabinet was on Radio 4 the other morning discussing this (can not remember her name). The presenter asked her 4 times directly as to what Labours policy would be and each time the response was "we will lay it out before the next general election...." which is years away. The presenter was getting blunter and blunter each time he asked but she just would or more likely couldn't give a response. It was just waffle... "well what we would to is to ensure a fair society.... etc" - great but what are your proposed policies?

Sadly they need to form some alternatives if they don't like what they see and start sharing with the public else they are not going to even make a dent in the Conservatives majority

It won’t be labour who make a dent in that majority, the conservatives will do that themselves by way of the electorate. The full impact of Brexit and the loss of rights in the workplace will see to that, whenever you give the tories enough rope they always, eventually, end up hanging themselves.
Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 15:13 - Sep 8 with 446 viewsKievthegreat

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 12:00 - Sep 8 by Pinewoodblue

retired and far from wealthy Interesting way of putting it. I’ve been paying income tax a little longer than you, and would also classify myself as far from wealthy but I’m adding this comment sitting on the pool deck of a cruise ship with a rusty nail in front of me. Being wealthy means different things to each of us. For most it means someone with more money than they have.

Yes we should be contributing oldens who keep reminding the rest of us they paid NI for x years really are selfish but we are all selfish, in one way or another, if we are honest.

Amazing that this problem was already there before Tiny Blair became PM and 20+ years later nothing has really been done about it.

Reminds me of when Corbyn talked about tax rises that only affected the top 10-20% (I think the cut off was approx £85k?) And someone on question time or some political show in the election run up getting really angry at the thought they were in the top 10% as they earned around the cutoff but they didn't feel rich. Reality is that guy isn't rich, even if he is in the top 10%, he is far closer to someone on an average income than someone in the next rung up the ladder.

Also the issue with people saying "my NI pays for your old farts pension" isn't really a selfishness things per se (although in sure it could be), but that we buy into the concept that we pay in to get out when we retire. However that's just a fairytale for us to rationalise it, and it's one that is looking nightmarish because an aging population is leaning (in terms of government spending) on a proportionally smaller working age group to put up the bulk of funding.

Anyway, get off TWTD, get a mojito and get back to the pool you daft old fart! I'm not paying my NI so you can waste your cruise!
Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 17:11 - Sep 8 with 388 viewsandytown

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 10:44 - Sep 8 by itfcjoe

It seems inheritance tax is a fairly obvious thing to go after this money, bearing in mind the social care plan is there to protect assets that people have so that they can be passed on.

Income tax would be a better solution than National Insurance as NI just a regressive tax and targets the wrong people. Lower higher rate band from £50k, increase rates by a percentage point at higher ends.

Raising taxes feels a necessity to me, and this need to try and keep them low is a race to the bottom - but it has to target the right people (and I include myself in that category who can and should be asked to pay more)

When my parents get older, and sadly leave this earth, myself and my sister will have a very good amount of inheritance - if they go into care this inheritance will be protected by the poorest having to raise their NI contributions, plus small businesses having a bigger burden etc - seems wrong

Have you considered the accommodation costs? They are on top of any care costs and there is no cap on them as far as I am aware.
Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 18:10 - Sep 8 with 359 viewsmutters

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 14:20 - Sep 8 by J2BLUE

I don't know why presenters don't just repeat the question until they walk off the set.

Why questions are allowed to go unanswered I will never know. It's no better in parliament. BJ was told the stats on expected food bank usage if Universal Credit is lowered back to pre-pandemic levels and he just brushed it aside. People are voting for a government who threw freelancers and the newly self employed under the bus during the pandemic and are about to ensure some people cannot afford basic food.

People. Are. Voting. For. This.

Oh and yes Facters, Brexit. Whatever.

I completely agree and this is where the media have to take some blame.

If they keep on pushing and refuse to move on till the question is answered then the politicians won't agree to be interviewed by them. If every reporter held the same line and did not give soft interviews then there would be real change, but sadly they won't.

Don't get me started on Parliament. ....

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024