Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? 18:32 - Sep 7 with 4740 viewsPippin1970

After today's NI increases going to divide a lot of people. I work 50 hrs a week plus work 2 nights a week. If I didn't would struggle financially. I'm sure others in same boat
[Post edited 7 Sep 2021 18:33]
Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 21:39 - Sep 7 with 2041 viewsSwansea_Blue

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 18:38 - Sep 7 by HARRY10

You are all working class

stop working and you will soon see which class you are

the one that is dependent upon working for a wage

You’re missing all the people who work but don’t need to. I don’t know how many there are, but it could be a decent number.

They include:
- people who could survive off investments or savings, but want to/feel they have to keep saving for the future
- the semi-retirees who’ve taken early pensions but gone back early ‘so they don’t get boted’
- those in working couples who could survive off one income, but choose not to (for any number of reasons)

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 22:22 - Sep 7 with 2000 viewsBlueandTruesince82

I look down on him, but up to him

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 22:37 - Sep 7 with 1993 viewsghostofescobar

I’m just class.

GhostOfEscobar

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 23:11 - Sep 7 with 1972 viewsIllinoisblue

Lower North. Nothing else matters.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 23:35 - Sep 7 with 1959 viewsscotdoc

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 23:11 - Sep 7 by Illinoisblue

Lower North. Nothing else matters.

Never sure on this one .
Child from a council scheme with a wonderful mother who pushed me.
Grafted at school.
Went to Glasgow university,been a doc for 34 years.
Never been so depressed dealing with the entitled children of today.
Third generation never worked and demand everything.
Aggressive to my staff on a daily basis.
Rude, demanding,patronising.
One simple example today
Child age 7, chronic constipation,mother demanding referral for investigation
Child will only eat MacDonalds, never seen a feckin veg/fruit in it's life.
Consultation finished with "feck off"when dietary changes advised as a more appropriate strategy
Child has also recently had what is termed as a "dental clearance"
I'll let you work out that one
.Doomed.,....
Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 03:26 - Sep 8 with 1898 viewswkj

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 21:03 - Sep 7 by bazza

I watched a programme on tv the other day, where people don’t even know how to keep their houses clean… I don’t think society has lead us to believe we can’t fend for ourselves ..it’s a fact..

For some people, but not for the masses. Living off grid isn't exactly easy, but it is quite doable

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 04:01 - Sep 8 with 1897 viewsIllinoisblue

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 23:35 - Sep 7 by scotdoc

Never sure on this one .
Child from a council scheme with a wonderful mother who pushed me.
Grafted at school.
Went to Glasgow university,been a doc for 34 years.
Never been so depressed dealing with the entitled children of today.
Third generation never worked and demand everything.
Aggressive to my staff on a daily basis.
Rude, demanding,patronising.
One simple example today
Child age 7, chronic constipation,mother demanding referral for investigation
Child will only eat MacDonalds, never seen a feckin veg/fruit in it's life.
Consultation finished with "feck off"when dietary changes advised as a more appropriate strategy
Child has also recently had what is termed as a "dental clearance"
I'll let you work out that one
.Doomed.,....

I can only imagine how depressing that is. Generational ignorance upon generational ignorance.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 08:05 - Sep 8 with 1820 viewssolomon

For all the efforts to create a classless society all we seem to have done is reinvent it. The gaps between the richest and poorest in society has never been greater. You don’t have to look far to see those who are quietly struggling along just to make ends meet. I get the feeling that some members of the current government probably feel the country reached its zenith in the early 19th century.
Login to get fewer ads

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 08:26 - Sep 8 with 1801 viewschicoazul

I do consider myself middle class, working as I do with my brain Labour not physical Labour.
However I think we need a better definition of rich. The vast majority of people in the UK share more or less the same sociological problems like getting to see a Dr, affording a decent home, affording a family, missing the train and having to wait half an hour for the next one etc. If you peel out London the UK is a surprisingly egalitarian place in terms of earnings. A head teacher or a dentist or a businessman who owns 2 CNC shops may be thought to be rich; but when you have traders at GS earning £4m a year to say nothing of the inherited wealth of the bourgeoisie and aristocracy in this country then rich becomes a different term.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 08:37 - Sep 8 with 1779 viewsMeadowlark

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 20:09 - Sep 7 by bazza

Work shy lazy class

Working class

Grotesquely rich non tax paying class..

If labour targeted the working class, they would win a majority at the next election.

Aren't the "Grotesquely rich non tax paying class" also "Work shy lazy class?"
Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 09:02 - Sep 8 with 1762 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

One of the issues with society today is we are all too quick to see the fault in others.
Whatever the 'ills' in society it is always someone else to blame.
Perhaps we all need to show more humility, more understanding, more tolerance and certainly more thoughtfulness of those different to ourselves.
How can I be a better person in and for society, rather than this continual criticism of those around us.
Self praise is certainly no recommendation.
Those who seek a classless society are often those who help to create it in the first place.
As for the NI rise it seems that it is ok as long as someone else is paying it!
Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 09:26 - Sep 8 with 1745 viewsEwan_Oozami

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 21:02 - Sep 7 by mutters

Or he has no concept of long term planning or how you can through working hard and saving can free yourself from being a wage slave.

So what are you while you're working hard then?

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 09:50 - Sep 8 with 1724 viewsBlueBadger

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 08:05 - Sep 8 by solomon

For all the efforts to create a classless society all we seem to have done is reinvent it. The gaps between the richest and poorest in society has never been greater. You don’t have to look far to see those who are quietly struggling along just to make ends meet. I get the feeling that some members of the current government probably feel the country reached its zenith in the early 19th century.

Jacob Rees-Mogg, for one probably thinks that THAT was far to namby-pamby and liberal.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 10:16 - Sep 8 with 1686 viewsPinewoodblue

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 09:02 - Sep 8 by Timefliesbyintheblue

One of the issues with society today is we are all too quick to see the fault in others.
Whatever the 'ills' in society it is always someone else to blame.
Perhaps we all need to show more humility, more understanding, more tolerance and certainly more thoughtfulness of those different to ourselves.
How can I be a better person in and for society, rather than this continual criticism of those around us.
Self praise is certainly no recommendation.
Those who seek a classless society are often those who help to create it in the first place.
As for the NI rise it seems that it is ok as long as someone else is paying it!

Been collecting state pension for ten years so not paying national insurance would have preferred to have seen 1.5% increase in income tax.

The whole tax system needs a radical review. Do away with NI payments and increase income tax to compensate. While you are at it overhaul the tax bands and have far more of them. Increase tax allowances for pensioners so that state pension is tax free.

The current problems with funding NHS existed when Tony Blair was PM neither major party has had the courage to tackle it. Think a significan majority would support a tax increase.

On the question of. Class we really do have an under class, those who slip under the radar and get ignored by the rest of us.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 10:27 - Sep 8 with 1668 viewsTJS

Sadly I think all working people are going to have to start paying more for health and social care going forward.
I don't think it is realistic or deliverable for just the richest 10% to fund this as unfair as it seems.
Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 10:44 - Sep 8 with 1644 viewsEwan_Oozami

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 10:27 - Sep 8 by TJS

Sadly I think all working people are going to have to start paying more for health and social care going forward.
I don't think it is realistic or deliverable for just the richest 10% to fund this as unfair as it seems.

Johnson was asked by Laura Keunssberg about the nearly all of the impact of the NI rise falling on those with lower incomes and he replied,"But everyone will benefit"

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 10:44 - Sep 8 with 1643 viewsitfcjoe

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 10:27 - Sep 8 by TJS

It seems inheritance tax is a fairly obvious thing to go after this money, bearing in mind the social care plan is there to protect assets that people have so that they can be passed on.

Income tax would be a better solution than National Insurance as NI just a regressive tax and targets the wrong people. Lower higher rate band from £50k, increase rates by a percentage point at higher ends.

Raising taxes feels a necessity to me, and this need to try and keep them low is a race to the bottom - but it has to target the right people (and I include myself in that category who can and should be asked to pay more)

When my parents get older, and sadly leave this earth, myself and my sister will have a very good amount of inheritance - if they go into care this inheritance will be protected by the poorest having to raise their NI contributions, plus small businesses having a bigger burden etc - seems wrong

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 11:01 - Sep 8 with 1623 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 10:44 - Sep 8 by Ewan_Oozami

Johnson was asked by Laura Keunssberg about the nearly all of the impact of the NI rise falling on those with lower incomes and he replied,"But everyone will benefit"

Someone on under £9500 will pay nothing, someone on £20000 will pay extra £130 annually, on £50000 extra £505 annually and on £100000 an extra £1130 annually.
So to say that nearly all the impact of the rise falls on those with lower incomes is not true. Unless of course you consider £50000 a lower income.

Also, remember we knew this was coming and yet no opposition party came up with an alternative or engaged with the government to suggest other ways.

As someone who is retired and far from wealthy, I am now in my 55th year of paying income tax - if there is a criticism of yesterdays announcement I think us retirees who do not work could have been asked to make a contribution.
Those with pensions over say the tax threshold of £12570, could I feel have their winter fuel allowance stopped from 2022.
Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 11:38 - Sep 8 with 1591 viewsitfcjoe

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 11:01 - Sep 8 by Timefliesbyintheblue

Someone on under £9500 will pay nothing, someone on £20000 will pay extra £130 annually, on £50000 extra £505 annually and on £100000 an extra £1130 annually.
So to say that nearly all the impact of the rise falls on those with lower incomes is not true. Unless of course you consider £50000 a lower income.

Also, remember we knew this was coming and yet no opposition party came up with an alternative or engaged with the government to suggest other ways.

As someone who is retired and far from wealthy, I am now in my 55th year of paying income tax - if there is a criticism of yesterdays announcement I think us retirees who do not work could have been asked to make a contribution.
Those with pensions over say the tax threshold of £12570, could I feel have their winter fuel allowance stopped from 2022.

A Govt with an 80 seat majority doesn't engage with others, in fact this Government didn't even engage with their own cabinet or MPs - it was presented as a fait accompli

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 11:57 - Sep 8 with 1569 viewsJ2BLUE

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 11:01 - Sep 8 by Timefliesbyintheblue

I have to agree. It's not a massive rise for the individual IMO. I think it's more the principle of protecting the assets of the elderly which I can understand upsetting the younger generations.

It's small businesses that I feel sorry for.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 11:58 - Sep 8 with 1566 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 11:38 - Sep 8 by itfcjoe

A Govt with an 80 seat majority doesn't engage with others, in fact this Government didn't even engage with their own cabinet or MPs - it was presented as a fait accompli

I do get your point, but at least Starmer would have been able to say that he had tried to communicate the Labour parties ideas on the subject.
If you have no credible opposition what chance will there be of this majority being reduced, let alone wiped out.
I am still not aware what Labour would do to solve the issue 24 hours later!
Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 12:00 - Sep 8 with 1559 viewsPinewoodblue

retired and far from wealthy Interesting way of putting it. I’ve been paying income tax a little longer than you, and would also classify myself as far from wealthy but I’m adding this comment sitting on the pool deck of a cruise ship with a rusty nail in front of me. Being wealthy means different things to each of us. For most it means someone with more money than they have.

Yes we should be contributing oldens who keep reminding the rest of us they paid NI for x years really are selfish but we are all selfish, in one way or another, if we are honest.

Amazing that this problem was already there before Tiny Blair became PM and 20+ years later nothing has really been done about it.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 13:22 - Sep 8 with 1507 viewsitfcjoe

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 11:58 - Sep 8 by Timefliesbyintheblue

I do get your point, but at least Starmer would have been able to say that he had tried to communicate the Labour parties ideas on the subject.
If you have no credible opposition what chance will there be of this majority being reduced, let alone wiped out.

And if he'd have done that people will accuse him of politicking and just opposing everything

I agree Labour need to clarify what they would be willing to do a bit more clearly but he hinted at it yesterday, presume in PMQs it was fleshed out further

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 13:32 - Sep 8 with 1491 viewsmutters

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 11:58 - Sep 8 by Timefliesbyintheblue

One of the members of the Labour shadow cabinet was on Radio 4 the other morning discussing this (can not remember her name). The presenter asked her 4 times directly as to what Labours policy would be and each time the response was "we will lay it out before the next general election...." which is years away. The presenter was getting blunter and blunter each time he asked but she just would or more likely couldn't give a response. It was just waffle... "well what we would to is to ensure a fair society.... etc" - great but what are your proposed policies?

Sadly they need to form some alternatives if they don't like what they see and start sharing with the public else they are not going to even make a dent in the Conservatives majority

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 14:20 - Sep 8 with 1462 viewsJ2BLUE

Are you lower class, middle class or just rich? on 13:32 - Sep 8 by mutters

One of the members of the Labour shadow cabinet was on Radio 4 the other morning discussing this (can not remember her name). The presenter asked her 4 times directly as to what Labours policy would be and each time the response was "we will lay it out before the next general election...." which is years away. The presenter was getting blunter and blunter each time he asked but she just would or more likely couldn't give a response. It was just waffle... "well what we would to is to ensure a fair society.... etc" - great but what are your proposed policies?

Sadly they need to form some alternatives if they don't like what they see and start sharing with the public else they are not going to even make a dent in the Conservatives majority

I don't know why presenters don't just repeat the question until they walk off the set.

Why questions are allowed to go unanswered I will never know. It's no better in parliament. BJ was told the stats on expected food bank usage if Universal Credit is lowered back to pre-pandemic levels and he just brushed it aside. People are voting for a government who threw freelancers and the newly self employed under the bus during the pandemic and are about to ensure some people cannot afford basic food.

People. Are. Voting. For. This.

Oh and yes Facters, Brexit. Whatever.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024