Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? 13:00 - Oct 15 with 3857 viewsPhilTWTD

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies?

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 16:02 - Oct 15 with 762 viewsmartinwellbourne

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 13:00 - Oct 15 by PhilTWTD

I'm a definite no, incidentally.

It depends where you come from I suppose,if you're from west suffolk or are a cambridgeshire town fan the U's have a little more significance when we play them,but as we play them only rarely they dont get much thought.
Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 16:20 - Oct 15 with 734 viewsBluefish

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 13:00 - Oct 15 by PhilTWTD

I'm a definite no, incidentally.

Which of the following are derbies?

London Derbies

Arsenal v Chelsea
Tottenham v West ham
Chelsea v West ham
Etc etc

North East

Boro vs Newcastle or Sunderland?

North west

Blackburn v Preston?

Merseyside

Everton v Liverpool?

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 16:48 - Oct 15 with 717 viewsleitrimblue

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 14:15 - Oct 15 by BlueBlueBluex2

The ones where Norwich means very little. I live in Cambridge so Cambridge to me is a lot more relevant than another team that I have very little thought about.

Have a think about it, I never went to school where there were Norwich fans. I don't work anywhere with Norwich fans. I really don't get the hype but hey if you guys like it, fill your boots.

I'd be similar, grew up in Haverhill, barely met a Norwich fan outside of Town v Norwich games
Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 16:51 - Oct 15 with 714 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 14:53 - Oct 15 by BlueBlueBluex2

A Derby is only pertinent to the individual, you are not obliged to work yourself up into a furore alongside others if you don't feel it.

Norwich means nothing to me other than somewhere to have a nice day out. Nothing more, nothing less.

No, football supporting is a tribal thing, and against your rivals it's heightened further. It's most definitely not "only pertinent to the individual."

You sound like you've never been to a football match, let alone a derby.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 17:00 - Oct 15 with 698 viewsHullblue

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 15:59 - Oct 15 by BlueBlueBluex2

So that reads - possibly - that you dislike Norwich because everyone around you does.

I wouldn’t say that either, tbh. Most of my friends ‘support’ big prem teams and I don’t think they give a sh!t about Norwich.

I guess I do dislike them because of animosity that’s existed between the clubs for decades, and because I’m supposed to as a town fan, so I can see your point.

But why does that feeling exist in the first place? Because they’re the second biggest club in East Anglia by miles. There’s no history between us and Cambridge because they’re never usually near our level, whereas Norwich always were.

Like I say though, each to their own.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 17:24 - Oct 15 with 664 viewsWickets

WBA V Birmingham on Sky tonight !
Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 17:26 - Oct 15 with 665 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 16:51 - Oct 15 by The_Flashing_Smile

No, football supporting is a tribal thing, and against your rivals it's heightened further. It's most definitely not "only pertinent to the individual."

Define ‘rivals’ - every other team is a rival to me. They all want to beat and humiliate us regardless of where they are geographically, so Norwich is no different to any other team.

Cambridge is local, so the stakes are higher for me as an individual, and therefore it’s a bigger game.

Guess we will have to disagree.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2021 17:27]
Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 18:04 - Oct 15 with 643 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 17:26 - Oct 15 by BlueBlueBluex2

Define ‘rivals’ - every other team is a rival to me. They all want to beat and humiliate us regardless of where they are geographically, so Norwich is no different to any other team.

Cambridge is local, so the stakes are higher for me as an individual, and therefore it’s a bigger game.

Guess we will have to disagree.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2021 17:27]

"Norwich is no different to any other team"?!?!?!?!?!

You gotta be trolling me, man!!

So to you, Barnsley, for example, are as much of a rival as Norwich?!

WTF am I reading?

Login to get fewer ads

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 07:58 - Oct 16 with 555 viewsWakh

Absolutely not.

A Derby is a game between two local rivals. Emphasis on the term Rival. Not all that local and not much rivalry.

As much a derby match as Pluto is a planet.
Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 08:23 - Oct 16 with 537 viewsBluefish

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 07:58 - Oct 16 by Wakh

Absolutely not.

A Derby is a game between two local rivals. Emphasis on the term Rival. Not all that local and not much rivalry.

As much a derby match as Pluto is a planet.

So the Merseyside derby doesn't exist then?

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 09:03 - Oct 16 with 507 viewsBluroo

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 16:51 - Oct 15 by The_Flashing_Smile

You sound like you’ve never been outside Ipswich.
Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 09:11 - Oct 16 with 502 viewsArnieM

I’d say it IS currently a derby match .

Long before narwich we’re ever in the same division as Town ( we were always old division 1 and they were at best division 2) , Towns considered “ Derby” game was always West Ham Utd. Then over time as narwich started to become a division 1 side , they took over this mantra.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 09:36 - Oct 16 with 488 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 09:03 - Oct 16 by Bluroo

You sound like you’ve never been outside Ipswich.

Haha, what? I live in London. I've never lived anywhere north of Chelmsford. What's that got to do with knowing who your rivals are?

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 09:38 - Oct 16 with 485 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 08:23 - Oct 16 by Bluefish

So the Merseyside derby doesn't exist then?

eh?

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 09:39 - Oct 16 with 484 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 09:11 - Oct 16 by ArnieM

Long before narwich we’re ever in the same division as Town ( we were always old division 1 and they were at best division 2) , Towns considered “ Derby” game was always West Ham Utd. Then over time as narwich started to become a division 1 side , they took over this mantra.

How does that make Cambridge a derby then?

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 09:40 - Oct 16 with 483 viewsBluefish

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 09:38 - Oct 16 by The_Flashing_Smile

eh?

They are not Liverpools biggest rivals but we all call it the Merseyside derby in the same way we refer to London derbies or North west derbies even when they aren't playing their historical rivals. This is no different it is an EA derby albeit not THE EA derby

Don't be ridiculous on 09:44 - Oct 16 with 481 viewsDyland

nft ffs

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 09:58 - Oct 16 with 468 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 09:11 - Oct 16 by ArnieM

I don't think you'd find 1% of West Ham fans that consider ITFC a "derby". There were 4 or 5 years, starting with the infamous 1975 FA Cup semi, in which there was a sense of rivalry, mostly from us and exacerbated by the fact that Noj were a joke at that time, so WHU were the geographically closest team that were good enough to be a rival.

Poll: would you rather

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 10:02 - Oct 16 with 453 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 09:40 - Oct 16 by Bluefish

They are not Liverpools biggest rivals but we all call it the Merseyside derby in the same way we refer to London derbies or North west derbies even when they aren't playing their historical rivals. This is no different it is an EA derby albeit not THE EA derby

The Merseyside derby is a bit of an outlier, but they're still rivals even if it's more of a friendly rivalry than some.

No-one has ever referred to Ipswich-Cambridge as a derby, there is no historical rivalry, and it's not especially close either (you might as well say we have a derby with several of the north London clubs in that case).

The only criteria anyone seems to be calling this a derby by is that they're in the same TV region!

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 10:28 - Oct 16 with 438 viewsLichfieldBlue

It's a local game but not a derby. Historically for Town there is only one derby and that's Norwich. When a win against them gives us bragging rights for the rest of the season. No disrespect to Colchester, Cambridge , Peterborough or at a push Southend they are just local games! I was born in the Brentford area and the only derbies for the Bees are QPR and Fulham the rest of the London teams are just local games. I
Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 10:42 - Oct 16 with 431 viewsPhilTWTD

Glad to be on the right side of history on this one. Wrote my Gazette column on the subject.

https://t.co/STlYEmvxmA?amp=1
Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 10:45 - Oct 16 with 429 viewsPhilTWTD

Of course they're their historical rivals.
Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 10:47 - Oct 16 with 428 viewsDyland

Everton are Liverpool's historical rivals you sausage. And it is a derby, of course.

The Man U thing was really just a way for Liverpool fans to wind up Evertonians :)

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 10:56 - Oct 16 with 423 viewsDyland

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 15:39 - Oct 15 by Hullblue

No gripes with your unusual take on our derbies, but I do think your reasoning is interesting.

I grew up in Ipswich and I don’t think I met a Norwich fan until I moved up North for uni! It’s not like lots of derbies where loads of the fans live and work alongside each other and get under each other’s skin. Because there’s a relatively big distance between the two you rarely meet them - that does contribute to the animosity in a weird way though because you build up this picture of them in your head as six-fingered sister botherers. Then you finally meet one, and you realise you were right.

arf :)

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 11:04 - Oct 16 with 421 viewsDyland

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 15:59 - Oct 15 by BlueBlueBluex2

So that reads - possibly - that you dislike Norwich because everyone around you does.

That's kinda how it works though.

Football rivalries are determined by history, and the tribe, not by personal preference. It's what makes football unique, and such a rich part of the social tapestry beyond the game itself, the skills and tactics and business side, in England anyway.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024