Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What is baffling to me is we have nobody with any defensive nous on the staff 08:42 - Oct 18 with 993 viewstractorboy1978

People have moaned about a lack of experience on the staff but the above is a far bigger issue for me. It's pretty clear that Richardson was absolutely vital for Cook in this respect.

I know the worry with McGreal is that he wants another manager's job and it wouldn't be long term, but would far rather him on the staff on a short term/ad-hoc basis until he is fixed up with another manager's job than not.
What is baffling to me is we have nobody with any defensive nous on the staff on 08:47 - Oct 18 with 958 views3_5_2

Never fear, we have the scouse kit man on board

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

What is baffling to me is we have nobody with any defensive nous on the staff on 08:50 - Oct 18 with 941 viewstractorboy1978

What is baffling to me is we have nobody with any defensive nous on the staff on 08:47 - Oct 18 by 3_5_2

From all I hear, he and Jeffers are really good coaches actually.
What is baffling to me is we have nobody with any defensive nous on the staff on 08:52 - Oct 18 with 933 views3_5_2

What is baffling to me is we have nobody with any defensive nous on the staff on 08:50 - Oct 18 by tractorboy1978

just not defensively

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

What is baffling to me is we have nobody with any defensive nous on the staff on 09:02 - Oct 18 with 920 viewsPinewoodblue

Listening to Kieron Dyer at half time in the Newc v Spurs game it is pretty clear you are wrong.

It is worth remembering however that our one and only plan is to score more than our opponents.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

What is baffling to me is we have nobody with any defensive nous on the staff on 09:06 - Oct 18 with 908 viewstractorboy1978

What is baffling to me is we have nobody with any defensive nous on the staff on 09:02 - Oct 18 by Pinewoodblue

Listening to Kieron Dyer at half time in the Newc v Spurs game it is pretty clear you are wrong.

It is worth remembering however that our one and only plan is to score more than our opponents.

It really hasn't been for Cook wherever else he has been though. His (and Richardson's) sides have always been built around a solid defensive base. His Wigan side only conceded 29 the year they won the league. We've conceded 21 already.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 9:06]
What is baffling to me is we have nobody with any defensive nous on the staff on 09:15 - Oct 18 with 872 viewsBasuco

A lot of our defensive frailty looks to me starts at the very back, Hladky, the defenders have no confidence in him, this was again very apparent at Cambridge. Until Cook realises Holy is a much better keeper, or Walton regains fitness we will continue to ship large numbers of cheap goals. Hladky needs replacing very quickly and if Holy or Walton are not the answer then we urgently need to sign a new keeper. Get that back three of keeper and both CB's working as a solid unit is the number one priority because at the moment they are all over the place.
What is baffling to me is we have nobody with any defensive nous on the staff on 09:25 - Oct 18 with 833 viewschicoazul

What is baffling to me is we have nobody with any defensive nous on the staff on 08:47 - Oct 18 by 3_5_2

Hey be fair he’s not just a Kitman, he’s a baker too.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

What is baffling to me is we have nobody with any defensive nous on the staff on 09:32 - Oct 18 with 813 viewsitfcjoe

Wigan under Cook in 2017/18 when they won the title - 46 games, 29 conceded

Ipswich under Cook 2021/22 - 12 games, 21 conceded

Wigan under Richardson 2021/22 - 11 games, 7 conceded

That's very telling, with regards to ' shutting up shop'

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

What is baffling to me is we have nobody with any defensive nous on the staff on 09:37 - Oct 18 with 766 viewstractorboy1978

What is baffling to me is we have nobody with any defensive nous on the staff on 09:32 - Oct 18 by itfcjoe

Quite. And 'shutting up shop' is exactly it. We've thrown away so many points from winning positions.
What is baffling to me is we have nobody with any defensive nous on the staff on 09:50 - Oct 18 with 707 viewsMetal_Hacker

What is baffling to me is we have nobody with any defensive nous on the staff on 09:32 - Oct 18 by itfcjoe

The long and short of it for me is one of 3 things :

1) PC is very naive in terms of HOW to shut up shop

2) PC is arrogant and doesn't think we SHOULD shut up shop

3) PC can't think outside the box with regards to playing a different formation in order to shut up shop

Quite clearly IMHO the subs made on Saturday were the wrong ones

I truly believe if we'd have put on both Nsiala and Harper with 10 mins to go we'd have been sat with 2 extra points

Replacing like for like with Celina and Edwards coming on just stinks of ignorance to me

Gobsmacked to be honest - regardless of the "outscoring them" philosophy he seems to have ,there comes a point when a dirty win becomes natural and then becomes a good habit

I didn't see it but by all accounts pretty much like Chelsea on Saturday - set up correctly with the right personnel , that's half the battle. Brentford were banging away at them but what Chelsea have now is a good mixture and TT can also change things mid-game

Poll: If it were one or the other

What is baffling to me is we have nobody with any defensive nous on the staff on 10:02 - Oct 18 with 673 viewsitfcjoe

What is baffling to me is we have nobody with any defensive nous on the staff on 09:37 - Oct 18 by tractorboy1978

Quite. And 'shutting up shop' is exactly it. We've thrown away so many points from winning positions.

15 points from winning positions - even if you'd picked up half of them and we had 7-8 more points we'd be in 6th.

And nothing is changing, we can't just say "when he sorts the defence out" because there are no signs he knows how to.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

What is baffling to me is we have nobody with any defensive nous on the staff on 10:05 - Oct 18 with 645 viewstractorboy1978

What is baffling to me is we have nobody with any defensive nous on the staff on 10:02 - Oct 18 by itfcjoe

15 points from winning positions - even if you'd picked up half of them and we had 7-8 more points we'd be in 6th.

And nothing is changing, we can't just say "when he sorts the defence out" because there are no signs he knows how to.

A defence that is going to be tested even more against the better sides. And on the flip side, an attack that will be facing tighter defences.
What is baffling to me is we have nobody with any defensive nous on the staff on 10:06 - Oct 18 with 635 viewsDMDC

What is baffling to me is we have nobody with any defensive nous on the staff on 08:50 - Oct 18 by tractorboy1978

Not sure what they are doing then, because apart from about 20 mins in a game we look an utter shambles most the time.
What is baffling to me is we have nobody with any defensive nous on the staff on 10:11 - Oct 18 with 586 viewstractorboy1978

What is baffling to me is we have nobody with any defensive nous on the staff on 10:06 - Oct 18 by DMDC

Not sure what they are doing then, because apart from about 20 mins in a game we look an utter shambles most the time.

Well we've scored the most goals in the league. Where our issues lay is 'there for all to see' as PC would say. It's so glaringly obvious.
What is baffling to me is we have nobody with any defensive nous on the staff on 10:15 - Oct 18 with 554 viewsDMDC

What is baffling to me is we have nobody with any defensive nous on the staff on 10:11 - Oct 18 by tractorboy1978

Well we've scored the most goals in the league. Where our issues lay is 'there for all to see' as PC would say. It's so glaringly obvious.

If its so obvious, why does it keep happening ? and why isnt he doing anything about it ?
What is baffling to me is we have nobody with any defensive nous on the staff on 10:25 - Oct 18 with 523 viewsazuremerlangus

What is baffling to me is we have nobody with any defensive nous on the staff on 09:50 - Oct 18 by Metal_Hacker

The long and short of it for me is one of 3 things :

1) PC is very naive in terms of HOW to shut up shop

2) PC is arrogant and doesn't think we SHOULD shut up shop

3) PC can't think outside the box with regards to playing a different formation in order to shut up shop

Quite clearly IMHO the subs made on Saturday were the wrong ones

I truly believe if we'd have put on both Nsiala and Harper with 10 mins to go we'd have been sat with 2 extra points

Replacing like for like with Celina and Edwards coming on just stinks of ignorance to me

Gobsmacked to be honest - regardless of the "outscoring them" philosophy he seems to have ,there comes a point when a dirty win becomes natural and then becomes a good habit

I didn't see it but by all accounts pretty much like Chelsea on Saturday - set up correctly with the right personnel , that's half the battle. Brentford were banging away at them but what Chelsea have now is a good mixture and TT can also change things mid-game

Conversely had he done what you suggest and still conceded a goal then others would have said we should have put them to the sword with a third goal via attacking subs. Trouble is those attacking subs didn’t bring extra firepower when they came on - which is worrying in itself.

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

What is baffling to me is we have nobody with any defensive nous on the staff on 10:34 - Oct 18 with 501 viewsMetal_Hacker

What is baffling to me is we have nobody with any defensive nous on the staff on 10:25 - Oct 18 by azuremerlangus

Conversely had he done what you suggest and still conceded a goal then others would have said we should have put them to the sword with a third goal via attacking subs. Trouble is those attacking subs didn’t bring extra firepower when they came on - which is worrying in itself.

Quite right but the game was only going one way at that point so surely it would've been more pertinent to change things up defensively as opposed to offensively ?

Poll: If it were one or the other

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024