Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
School absences - bit of a weird one 10:41 - Oct 18 with 5136 viewsitfcjoe

My youngest tested positive for Covid last week and due to the current rules my eldest wasn't allowed to go to school for 3 days and then had to have a PCR test before he returns.

So he could go back to school today, but my wife doesn't work Monday or Tuesday so we thought it made more sense to keep him off until Wednesday to ensure he doesn't have a positive test as well (so far so good)

But the school phoned this morning, and said that because I had taken him to football on Saturday (which I didn't) that because he wasn't isolating that this was now an unauthorised absence.

It turns out that someone from the school has checked my Instagram page, and saw that I'd taken him down to Portman Road on Saturday morning to get a new shirt and we had a wander around the ground.

He doesn't legally need to isolate, as I don't, and we are testing every morning so I have no guilt on this - just seems very off from the school to be checking my social media, and then putting a black mark against his name when all we are doing is trying to take the sensible route because of how our childcare arrangements are and allows him to have an extra 2 days to ensure not infected.

He's only in reception, is it normal for schools to be like this?!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

School absences - bit of a weird one on 16:34 - Oct 18 with 527 viewsitfcjoe

School absences - bit of a weird one on 15:55 - Oct 18 by Butterbing

I get it. Schools are frustrating as hell. You will get things like this where you have to do something you don’t necessarily agree with or take the (in this case pointless) consequences. Unfortunately, in my experience you get used to the way schools work (very different to nurseries) over time and learn ways round it.

I found it quite difficult at first as before school started we just had to do what we thought best without considering anybody else. However, they start school and you have to justify your decisions to others.

Thankfully they are not fining you (which would be way out of line but I have heard of it). The unauthorised absence won’t mean much so probably best just to forget it exists and move on.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 15:56]

I think it is more that we feel as though made decisions more in other interests than our own and still getting flak for it - the easiest thing would have been to do a PCR yesterday when both about, and send him back in when results came this morning.

And the sort of snidey looking at social media posts and the way it was then communicated

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

School absences - bit of a weird one on 16:44 - Oct 18 with 499 viewsMullet

I’m not defending the school, because I think using social media this way is wrong but it’s commonplace now.

I’d suggest someone you’ve upset has done this and they have no choice but to follow that up, as schools are under so much pressure on so many things. It’s really scummy behaviour by that person and the school won’t be telling you who it was.

The problem would be if you could suggest the picture was an old one but I doubt you can now. As much as students, unfortunately parents don’t seem to think their use of social media matters when it comes to school, but that’s no longer the case

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

School absences - bit of a weird one on 19:36 - Oct 18 with 405 viewsfactual_blue

School absences - bit of a weird one on 16:44 - Oct 18 by Mullet

I’m not defending the school, because I think using social media this way is wrong but it’s commonplace now.

I’d suggest someone you’ve upset has done this and they have no choice but to follow that up, as schools are under so much pressure on so many things. It’s really scummy behaviour by that person and the school won’t be telling you who it was.

The problem would be if you could suggest the picture was an old one but I doubt you can now. As much as students, unfortunately parents don’t seem to think their use of social media matters when it comes to school, but that’s no longer the case

Not using Instamatic, Twit-tok etc would seem to be the best advice.

Why on earth do people think the world and its wife is interested in their mundane activities?

(Rhetorical question btw)

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

School absences - bit of a weird one on 21:59 - Oct 18 with 352 viewsblaggers

I don't think they are entitled to do that. The three day rule is only at a local council level and not a legal requirement. If they have asked you to keep your child away from school then that's at their discretion.

Poll: What happens next?

School absences - bit of a weird one on 11:01 - Oct 19 with 259 viewsJammyDodgerrr

School absences - bit of a weird one on 19:36 - Oct 18 by factual_blue

Not using Instamatic, Twit-tok etc would seem to be the best advice.

Why on earth do people think the world and its wife is interested in their mundane activities?

(Rhetorical question btw)

For the same reason you post on this forum?

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024