Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
'78 Cup Final Odds 12:42 - Nov 9 with 1501 viewstrulyblue

We all obviously know the outcome and that we were underdogs but does anybody actually recall what the match odds were?

Poll: Player of the season so far?

'78 Cup Final Odds on 13:05 - Nov 9 with 1442 viewsXYZ

Good enough for the team to pile on.

Illegal now, of course.
'78 Cup Final Odds on 13:07 - Nov 9 with 1439 viewsTJS

I very much doubt Ipswich would have been more than 5/2 or 3/1
'78 Cup Final Odds on 13:16 - Nov 9 with 1417 viewsRadlett_blue

'78 Cup Final Odds on 13:07 - Nov 9 by TJS

I very much doubt Ipswich would have been more than 5/2 or 3/1

Ha ha, some dumb university mates of mine lumped on Arsenal at odds-on! The odds over the 90 minutes for Town to win would have appeared quite generous because most ignore the draw, which statistically happens quite often, so most bookies prefer punters to bet that way.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

'78 Cup Final Odds on 13:44 - Nov 9 with 1325 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Town were 5-2 to win.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

'78 Cup Final Odds on 13:51 - Nov 9 with 1318 viewsPJH

'78 Cup Final Odds on 13:44 - Nov 9 by The_Last_Baron

Town were 5-2 to win.

Yes and in his 'Time On The Grass' book, Bobby Robson says he put £20 on at those odds which he says were ridiculous in a two horse race.
'78 Cup Final Odds on 13:54 - Nov 9 with 1299 viewsThe_Last_Baron

'78 Cup Final Odds on 13:51 - Nov 9 by PJH

Yes and in his 'Time On The Grass' book, Bobby Robson says he put £20 on at those odds which he says were ridiculous in a two horse race.

It was a 50/50 game in reality. Matches that season between the sides had been 1-0 for the home side and Town were a much better side than their league form. Player for player we were probably better than Arsenal in 1978.

'78 Cup Final Odds on 14:00 - Nov 9 with 1271 viewsFixed_It

'78 Cup Final Odds on 13:54 - Nov 9 by The_Last_Baron

It was a 50/50 game in reality. Matches that season between the sides had been 1-0 for the home side and Town were a much better side than their league form. Player for player we were probably better than Arsenal in 1978.

Well I personally thought the result was never in doubt. And, of course, I was right!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

'78 Cup Final Odds on 14:00 - Nov 9 with 1272 viewsChurchman

No, because I’m not a gambler, but I do know that Ipswich were not given much chance by the neutrals. Arsenal had a strong team with one of the best keepers in the country, two good full backs, a powerful forward line and Liam Brady in midfield.

We, by comparison, had finished a disappointing season primarily due to injury to key players. But fit and settled, we were better than Arsenal as league position and results before and after showed.

I really fancied us to win and would have put money on it had that been my thing - and if I’d had any! I never dreamed it’d be as one sided as it was. 3 or 4 nil wouldn’t have been harsh on Arsenal.
Login to get fewer ads

'78 Cup Final Odds on 14:05 - Nov 9 with 1251 viewsThe_Last_Baron

'78 Cup Final Odds on 14:00 - Nov 9 by Churchman

No, because I’m not a gambler, but I do know that Ipswich were not given much chance by the neutrals. Arsenal had a strong team with one of the best keepers in the country, two good full backs, a powerful forward line and Liam Brady in midfield.

We, by comparison, had finished a disappointing season primarily due to injury to key players. But fit and settled, we were better than Arsenal as league position and results before and after showed.

I really fancied us to win and would have put money on it had that been my thing - and if I’d had any! I never dreamed it’d be as one sided as it was. 3 or 4 nil wouldn’t have been harsh on Arsenal.

It was a 3-0 game in terms of the way the play went. I still think the first Wark shot (the closer one) which hit the post was a bad miss. 90% of the time he'd have buried that.

'78 Cup Final Odds on 14:19 - Nov 9 with 1210 viewsChurchman

'78 Cup Final Odds on 14:05 - Nov 9 by The_Last_Baron

It was a 3-0 game in terms of the way the play went. I still think the first Wark shot (the closer one) which hit the post was a bad miss. 90% of the time he'd have buried that.

We hit the woodwork three times, Jennings made a miraculous save off Burley and other stops besides. Ok, call it a 3-0 game, but it was a beating by any standards. It’s a lifetime ago, but I remember what it was like in the stadium that day as if it was yesterday.
'78 Cup Final Odds on 14:24 - Nov 9 with 1198 viewsKeno

'78 Cup Final Odds on 14:19 - Nov 9 by Churchman

We hit the woodwork three times, Jennings made a miraculous save off Burley and other stops besides. Ok, call it a 3-0 game, but it was a beating by any standards. It’s a lifetime ago, but I remember what it was like in the stadium that day as if it was yesterday.

Highlights anyone

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

'78 Cup Final Odds on 14:46 - Nov 9 with 1133 viewsRadlett_blue

'78 Cup Final Odds on 13:51 - Nov 9 by PJH

I bet those odds were over 90 minutes, so it was effectively a 3 horse race. As long as out injured players, notably Hunter & Beattie, were fit, I was confident we could win, although the reality was Arsenal were a decent side, who had finished 5th in the league so it should have been a 50-50 call. Robson's genius was to play 19 year old David Geddis wide on the right, with a brief to harass Sammy Nelson, Arsenal's attacking left back, through whom many of their attacks started.

'78 Cup Final Odds on 15:45 - Nov 9 with 1073 viewsGlasgowBlue

I was always amazed that we were considered underdogs. Although we were about to have our worst finish under SBR, we had been a regular top 5 side who had beaten the likes Barcelona and Real Madrid.

The previous season we had finished 3rd, 9 points ahead of 8th placed Arsenal. Which is a fair gap considering there was only 2 points for a win.

The previous season we had finished 6th, with Arsenal in 17th.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

'78 Cup Final Odds on 15:56 - Nov 9 with 1020 viewsJ2BLUE

'78 Cup Final Odds on 13:16 - Nov 9 by Radlett_blue

Ha ha, some dumb university mates of mine lumped on Arsenal at odds-on! The odds over the 90 minutes for Town to win would have appeared quite generous because most ignore the draw, which statistically happens quite often, so most bookies prefer punters to bet that way.

Most ignore the draw?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

'78 Cup Final Odds on 15:57 - Nov 9 with 1014 viewsRadlett_blue

'78 Cup Final Odds on 15:45 - Nov 9 by GlasgowBlue

I was always amazed that we were considered underdogs. Although we were about to have our worst finish under SBR, we had been a regular top 5 side who had beaten the likes Barcelona and Real Madrid.

The previous season we had finished 3rd, 9 points ahead of 8th placed Arsenal. Which is a fair gap considering there was only 2 points for a win.

Yes, some of the old "big City club bias". Despite Town's great consistency under Robson (we had umpteen injuries in 1977-78) we were never seen as a "big" club.

'78 Cup Final Odds on 16:05 - Nov 9 with 996 viewsblueislander

'78 Cup Final Odds on 15:45 - Nov 9 by GlasgowBlue

One of the key factors was the way we nullified Alan Hudson forcing him to go deeper and deeper, and couldn’t create anything.
'78 Cup Final Odds on 16:10 - Nov 9 with 986 viewsRadlett_blue

'78 Cup Final Odds on 15:56 - Nov 9 by J2BLUE

Most ignore the draw?

Maybe not so much these days, but in the old pre-internet days of football betting, the draw was usually over-priced because most punters preferred to take a positive view, one way or the other.

'78 Cup Final Odds on 16:16 - Nov 9 with 966 viewsJ2BLUE

'78 Cup Final Odds on 16:10 - Nov 9 by Radlett_blue

Maybe not so much these days, but in the old pre-internet days of football betting, the draw was usually over-priced because most punters preferred to take a positive view, one way or the other.

Oh I see! That makes sense.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

'78 Cup Final Odds on 20:44 - Nov 9 with 754 viewsGeomorph

'78 Cup Final Odds on 16:16 - Nov 9 by J2BLUE

Oh I see! That makes sense.

SBR did a good job on the bookies making sure we got spanked at villa the week before too 😊
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024