Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ryan Lowe 09:41 - Dec 6 with 1866 viewsBlueBlood90

I'm surprised I haven't seen more people wanting him for the job on here especially with Phil naming him and Manning as the early contenders.

A young manager who won the league with Bury when they were a basket case and then took Plymouth from mid table of League Two to the top end of League One.

Poll: Do you think we have a stronger squad this season or last season?

Ryan Lowe on 09:43 - Dec 6 with 1825 viewsitfcsuth

I like him, but not convinced he will jump in to PC grave.
Ryan Lowe on 09:55 - Dec 6 with 1754 viewsSaigonTractor

I'd love him but I can't see him leaving Plymouth right now
Ryan Lowe on 09:56 - Dec 6 with 1755 viewsclive_baker

Yeah he's got a great CV so far to be fair to him and despite current league position it would feel like a natural progression from Plymouth to Ipswich. I really don't think he would be able to turn it down if offered, so he would be the one I would defintely be going after if I were Ashton. Plymouth play nice football too, attacking, high energy.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Ryan Lowe on 10:03 - Dec 6 with 1691 viewsjayessess

For me, we definitely have to take every manager currently sat above us in the league seriously, especially those at clubs with substantially less resources. Ryan Lowe, Liam Manning, Karl Robinson, Gareth Ainsworth, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Michael Duff all absolutely ate Paul Cook's lunch this season.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Ryan Lowe on 10:06 - Dec 6 with 1660 viewsBseaBlue

Ryan Lowe on 10:03 - Dec 6 by jayessess

For me, we definitely have to take every manager currently sat above us in the league seriously, especially those at clubs with substantially less resources. Ryan Lowe, Liam Manning, Karl Robinson, Gareth Ainsworth, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Michael Duff all absolutely ate Paul Cook's lunch this season.

Out of the named potentials, Lowe is the stand-out for me. He has had success and his stock seems to be on the rise.

Ainsworth will be written off because of his style of play but personally, I would have him here in a heartbeat if it meant taking us up.
Ryan Lowe on 10:08 - Dec 6 with 1642 viewsDavoIPB

Yeah but we were just as good as Plymouth and should have beaten them under Paul Cook.
Ryan Lowe on 10:12 - Dec 6 with 1616 viewsjayessess

Ryan Lowe on 10:08 - Dec 6 by DavoIPB

Yeah but we were just as good as Plymouth and should have beaten them under Paul Cook.

New Manager Checklist
The ability to beat superior opposition ✓
[Post edited 6 Dec 2021 10:12]

Ryan Lowe on 10:14 - Dec 6 with 1591 viewsBeckets

Ryan Lowe on 09:56 - Dec 6 by clive_baker

Yeah he's got a great CV so far to be fair to him and despite current league position it would feel like a natural progression from Plymouth to Ipswich. I really don't think he would be able to turn it down if offered, so he would be the one I would defintely be going after if I were Ashton. Plymouth play nice football too, attacking, high energy.

He plays 352 which might suit our squad as well.
Login to get fewer ads

Ryan Lowe on 10:16 - Dec 6 with 1553 viewsStokieBlue

I suggested him many weeks ago - seems a natural fit and the squad we have should be able to play his 352.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Ryan Lowe on 10:23 - Dec 6 with 1489 viewsBseaBlue

Ryan Lowe on 10:16 - Dec 6 by StokieBlue

I suggested him many weeks ago - seems a natural fit and the squad we have should be able to play his 352.

SB

Is it a 3-5-2 with wing backs or more of a 3-4-4 that he plays?
Ryan Lowe on 10:26 - Dec 6 with 1462 viewsjayessess

Ryan Lowe on 10:23 - Dec 6 by BseaBlue

Is it a 3-5-2 with wing backs or more of a 3-4-4 that he plays?

I think both work quite well for us.

3-5-2 finds a natural home for Fraser or Harper
3-4-3 accommodates any combo of our various number 10s, wide forwards or two strikers.

Ryan Lowe on 10:29 - Dec 6 with 1434 viewsBseaBlue

Ryan Lowe on 10:26 - Dec 6 by jayessess

I think both work quite well for us.

3-5-2 finds a natural home for Fraser or Harper
3-4-3 accommodates any combo of our various number 10s, wide forwards or two strikers.

That was my thought with the 3-4-3. It can provide plenty of options for our endless attacking midfield options.

My worry with the 3-5-2 was whether his system relies on attacking full backs which has been an issues for us this season.
Ryan Lowe on 10:32 - Dec 6 with 1421 viewsjayessess

Ryan Lowe on 10:29 - Dec 6 by BseaBlue

That was my thought with the 3-4-3. It can provide plenty of options for our endless attacking midfield options.

My worry with the 3-5-2 was whether his system relies on attacking full backs which has been an issues for us this season.

Think you'd have far fewer problems with KVY and Penney with Donacien and Burgess behind them at RCB and LCB.

Ryan Lowe on 11:12 - Dec 6 with 1320 viewsBlueBlood90

Ryan Lowe on 10:14 - Dec 6 by Beckets

He plays 352 which might suit our squad as well.

That's the one thing that's amazed me the most about Cook. Why was he so insistent on playing the same formation no matter what? It was narrow minded to say the least and made it very easy for teams to prepare playing against us.

A 352 or 343 makes perfect sense to me with the players we have. Could be a chance for Pigott to rediscover his form and Fraser could play in his favoured number 8.

Ryan Lowe on 11:39 - Dec 6 with 1267 viewswkj

I would like it if he was hired on, but how viable is the train of thought. Yes, we might have more long term potential than Plymouth - but if Lowe was to leave them for us at this time he would have a bit of a loyalty blip on his Cv.

Also, right now he's performing over above expectations at Plymouth, if he came here, he would instantly be under pressure to perform. That might not be an appealing prospect for Lowe.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Ryan Lowe on 11:44 - Dec 6 with 1249 viewsgtsb1966

Ryan Lowe on 11:39 - Dec 6 by wkj

I would like it if he was hired on, but how viable is the train of thought. Yes, we might have more long term potential than Plymouth - but if Lowe was to leave them for us at this time he would have a bit of a loyalty blip on his Cv.

Also, right now he's performing over above expectations at Plymouth, if he came here, he would instantly be under pressure to perform. That might not be an appealing prospect for Lowe.

Money talks.
Ryan Lowe on 11:47 - Dec 6 with 1236 viewswkj

Ryan Lowe on 11:44 - Dec 6 by gtsb1966

Money talks.

Yes it does, which is why one high-risk decision for the short term may not be more appealing than sticking with a long term that is poised for long-term success. If he got promoted with Plymouth and had a decent Championship season - money would be vastly improved, as would his future management prospects.

Crybaby

Ryan Lowe on 11:48 - Dec 6 with 1221 viewsgtsb1966

Ryan Lowe on 11:47 - Dec 6 by wkj

Yes it does, which is why one high-risk decision for the short term may not be more appealing than sticking with a long term that is poised for long-term success. If he got promoted with Plymouth and had a decent Championship season - money would be vastly improved, as would his future management prospects.

Either way it would be a gamble for him I suppose.
Ryan Lowe on 11:53 - Dec 6 with 1190 viewswkj

Ryan Lowe on 11:48 - Dec 6 by gtsb1966

Either way it would be a gamble for him I suppose.

It would be. Do not underestimate the fact that Job happiness is as important as money. He's loved at Plymouth and probably has a lot of respect up there. Are those chips necessarily worth putting down on a horse that I expected to be successful (massively improve) within about 20 games?

I am not convinced.

Crybaby

Ryan Lowe on 12:20 - Dec 6 with 1143 viewsjayessess

Ryan Lowe on 11:53 - Dec 6 by wkj

It would be. Do not underestimate the fact that Job happiness is as important as money. He's loved at Plymouth and probably has a lot of respect up there. Are those chips necessarily worth putting down on a horse that I expected to be successful (massively improve) within about 20 games?

I am not convinced.

Like every EFL manager he'll be ambitious and confident in himself. No way Ryan Lowe would be sitting there doubting his ability to get us higher up the league than 11th. No way he's thinking that Plymouth is as far as he wants to go in football.

The calculation is just going to be what's better for his career in the medium term.

Ryan Lowe on 12:39 - Dec 6 with 1101 viewsBlueBlood90

Ryan Lowe on 12:20 - Dec 6 by jayessess

Like every EFL manager he'll be ambitious and confident in himself. No way Ryan Lowe would be sitting there doubting his ability to get us higher up the league than 11th. No way he's thinking that Plymouth is as far as he wants to go in football.

The calculation is just going to be what's better for his career in the medium term.

That's also how I see it.

I wouldn't disrespect Plymouth by making out we are some sort of a Liverpool or Man Utd but I certainly think we are a big club for this division where he would already inherit a good squad of players, earn himself a lot more money than he's probably ever earned in his career previously and he'd have more money to spend on his team than if he stayed at Plymouth. It also sounds like more money would be invested if we were ever promoted so I'm not sure if Plymouth can match our medium/long term ambitions and if he failed here I'm sure he'd be able to get another job like Plymouth in a flash.

Ryan Lowe on 12:45 - Dec 6 with 1081 viewsjayessess

Ryan Lowe on 12:39 - Dec 6 by BlueBlood90

That's also how I see it.

I wouldn't disrespect Plymouth by making out we are some sort of a Liverpool or Man Utd but I certainly think we are a big club for this division where he would already inherit a good squad of players, earn himself a lot more money than he's probably ever earned in his career previously and he'd have more money to spend on his team than if he stayed at Plymouth. It also sounds like more money would be invested if we were ever promoted so I'm not sure if Plymouth can match our medium/long term ambitions and if he failed here I'm sure he'd be able to get another job like Plymouth in a flash.

For sure the ceiling with Ipswich is higher than Plymouth. The counter-argument is if he keeps succeeding at Plymouth it is probably a matter of time before he gets a better offer than us.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2021 12:50]

Ryan Lowe on 14:24 - Dec 6 with 974 viewsBlueBlood90

Ryan Lowe on 12:45 - Dec 6 by jayessess

For sure the ceiling with Ipswich is higher than Plymouth. The counter-argument is if he keeps succeeding at Plymouth it is probably a matter of time before he gets a better offer than us.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2021 12:50]

Yep, that's also a very good point.

I personally have a bad feeling it will be Lee Johnson after Ashton's comments about managers being in contact with him who are already in a job.

He's under huge pressure at the moment and they appear to be old chums from their Bristol City days.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024