Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Still not cute enough are we? 22:02 - Dec 29 with 3836 viewsCheltenham_Blue

And I'm not talking about on the pitch. The crowd and the ball boys/girls seem all to desperate to get the ball into play too quickly, particularly in the Cobbold lower.

Don't just throw the ball to the opposition player, just pop it over the wall and let them walk for it. I watched one town fan throw the ball straight to a Wycombe player when it was clear they were trying to take a quick throw. We've got to play our part in the game too.

Late on in the match the ball went out for a goal kick and one ball girl was slowly walking to get the ball when another jogged across and threw it back to Hladky.

At other teams, especially in the higher leagues, the ball boys and girls are coached, we need that here too. We need to be cuter in all areas during a game, if we are going to get out of this god forsaken league.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Still not cute enough are we? on 11:41 - Dec 30 with 728 viewsRadlett_blue

Still not cute enough are we? on 11:08 - Dec 30 by GlasgowBlue

I'm reminded of a game in the early 90's when Blackburn were in the old second division and they were beating Liverpool (I think) in a cup game. The ball boy threw the ball to a Liverpool player in injury time and Liverpool went onto score an equaliser.

The ball boy got slaughtered by Jimmy Hill so the club went out of their way to back the poor kid.

If the ball boys' function is to try to manage the game in the home team's favour, they should be abolished.
I remember the Swansea ball boy diving on the ball in a League Cup semi final against Chelsea & Hazard tried to kick the ball out from under his body to get on this the game & was (correctly) sent off. Still awful behaviour. Yes. it's professional sport, but if winning is the ONLY thing that matters, it loses much of its appeal.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Still not cute enough are we? on 11:41 - Dec 30 with 728 viewsitfcjoe

Still not cute enough are we? on 08:37 - Dec 30 by textbackup

back in the PO seasons of old, and the prem, the ball boys were a core of 10/12 lads, all of who knew football inside out.
one lad kicked it back to the keeper on an occassion and sheepshanks had him in his office for a telling off.

i dont what to see dipsy airheaded kids that would rather be on their phones as our ballboy/girls.... the same kids week in week out, to understand and learn

I once emailed Jim Magilton about ball boys and ball girls because they were so rubbish - losing 1-0 in 90th minute and Wrighty having to run and fetch the ball etc whilst they just sat there and waited.

Got a long e-mail back from Jim Magilton and Terry Baxter basically saying it is something that Jim has now picked up on and will be working with them about it as wasn't good enough

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Still not cute enough are we? on 11:48 - Dec 30 with 714 viewstextbackup

Still not cute enough are we? on 11:41 - Dec 30 by itfcjoe

I once emailed Jim Magilton about ball boys and ball girls because they were so rubbish - losing 1-0 in 90th minute and Wrighty having to run and fetch the ball etc whilst they just sat there and waited.

Got a long e-mail back from Jim Magilton and Terry Baxter basically saying it is something that Jim has now picked up on and will be working with them about it as wasn't good enough

i know people say "we've bigger problems than X, or Y"

but i really do believe that every single tiny advantage you can gain plays a part in the overall bigger picture.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Still not cute enough are we? on 12:03 - Dec 30 with 688 viewsitfcjoe

Still not cute enough are we? on 11:48 - Dec 30 by textbackup

i know people say "we've bigger problems than X, or Y"

but i really do believe that every single tiny advantage you can gain plays a part in the overall bigger picture.

Without a doubt, everything matters - some things matter more than others obviously, but anything you can do to help the football club is a good thing.

These teams like Rotherham and Wycombe get so much more out of 20% of the budget we have, if we could get as much out of our budget as they do out of theirs we'd be right up there in the league above let alone this one.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Still not cute enough are we? on 12:59 - Dec 30 with 628 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Still not cute enough are we? on 11:41 - Dec 30 by Radlett_blue

If the ball boys' function is to try to manage the game in the home team's favour, they should be abolished.
I remember the Swansea ball boy diving on the ball in a League Cup semi final against Chelsea & Hazard tried to kick the ball out from under his body to get on this the game & was (correctly) sent off. Still awful behaviour. Yes. it's professional sport, but if winning is the ONLY thing that matters, it loses much of its appeal.

If people aren’t in sport to win.

They shouldn’t be in sport.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Still not cute enough are we? on 13:43 - Dec 30 with 590 viewslazyblue

Still not cute enough are we? on 10:12 - Dec 30 by BluedanW

They are better than they were about 10 years ago. Around the Roy Keane era I believe. Even when we were losing the ball boys used to just sit there and watch as our goalkeeper was having to chase the ball down.

You can’t have been to many games then as it’s been happening all season.
Still not cute enough are we? on 14:06 - Dec 30 with 589 viewsBluespeed225

The answer is adult ball people, ones who've been going for years, wind the opposition up, help our lads, manage the ball off pitch.
Still not cute enough are we? on 14:20 - Dec 30 with 577 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Still not cute enough are we? on 10:56 - Dec 30 by Cheltenham_Blue

It's not about 'time' it's all about disrupting the flow of one side or the other when it works in our favour.

You can have all the time in the world, but if the opposition keep disrupting your rhythm, you will find it far harder to get a foothold in the game.

And currently, we aren't very good at it.

Plus, they do not add time on for the ball out of play or for timewasting that is from anyone other than a player. If they did, the match would be twice as long as it is. The ball is out of play for a significant chunk of any match.

We need our ball boys (or girls) and fans to be more aware of at which stage of a game we want the ball back quickly and when we want to slow it down and disrupt things. Mind, not all of our players have always understood it very well either!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

Still not cute enough are we? on 15:21 - Dec 30 with 538 viewsLeaky

Still not cute enough are we? on 11:40 - Dec 30 by BseaBlue

He really isn't though. A team like Wycombe rely on disrupting the flow of the game and controlling the tempo it is played at. Being able to implement some game management of our own is key to grinding out results like yesterday.

Yes, like the way they changed ends before kick off, had us playing towards the SBR first half. or was kierons new tactic?
Still not cute enough are we? on 15:27 - Dec 30 with 535 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Still not cute enough are we? on 14:20 - Dec 30 by Nthsuffolkblue

Plus, they do not add time on for the ball out of play or for timewasting that is from anyone other than a player. If they did, the match would be twice as long as it is. The ball is out of play for a significant chunk of any match.

We need our ball boys (or girls) and fans to be more aware of at which stage of a game we want the ball back quickly and when we want to slow it down and disrupt things. Mind, not all of our players have always understood it very well either!

Ref made a point of signalling that he had stopped the watch when the North stand kept the ball.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024