Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Cook Interview 13:10 - Jan 5 with 6085 viewsMartus

Completely agree with his comments.

First off I should say I was and still am a Paul Cook fan. But, when Michael O'Leary had his first interview with the club - he said Paul Cook was their choice and they were kept in the loop when the managers were being interviewed. So he was the new ownership's team and Michael O'Leary's man too.

The big difference seems to be Mark Ashton - which is funny as he kept talking about giving the team time at the start of the season - and to have 19 new signings creating a completely new starting 11 - time was essential. I could see things starting to gel in October and admittedly they also fell apart after shortly after. But to give a manager the resources and backing to create a whole new squad under his image - and then to offload him with less than half a season gone - seems ludicrous. As PC said - if he was told he needed to be near or in the playoffs at least by November - then the job wasn't right for him. That overhaul needed time to pay off.

It sounds like the team Mark Ashton employed to work with the team didn't match the ethos of Paul Cook - and that is a great shame. Because whilst I am happy there is a constant team that will be there to continue their job and create stability - Mark Ashton can move on just as quickly as previously seen and take that team with him to a new club. So that also doesn't sit right with me - Paul Cook was the manager and should be able to run how that team works with his squad.

I feel for him - and I think it shows how much the job of manager/coach has changed in recent years. I hope he gets a job again soon and does well. And i hope PC was wrong an McKenna can make this squad gel in time for a playoff push.

"Bobby conquered Europe!!! And we won the FA cuuuuup!"

Says he should have been given more time... on 14:54 - Jan 5 with 743 viewsjayessess

Says he should have been given more time... on 14:47 - Jan 5 by MaySixth

Ashton for sure wasn't exactly truthful with us

I think it's more that people mis-interpreted some fairly standard football-speak.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Paul Cook Interview on 14:54 - Jan 5 with 746 viewsxrayspecs

Cook is an old school manager, Ashton is putting in place a structure better suited to modern day first team coaches.
Says he should have been given more time... on 15:00 - Jan 5 with 728 viewsjayessess

Says he should have been given more time... on 14:52 - Jan 5 by Martus

Yeah i agree - we didn't have a run of games where we even play consistently. But when it worked - we looked great e.g. Wycombe and Portsmouth. I agree with you that is not enough and we all wanted more from the team and expected more.

But my main point is - why allow a manager to completely demolish and rebuild a squad - only to sack him? Where is the thought process in that? Utterly pointless. That is a Paul Cook squad that they allowed him to build. Why allow him to do that only to sack him months later - that's the bit that confuses me the most.

If you back him in the transfer window to build a new squad - let him finish the job and give him season to try and get the squad he built to do what he planned it to.

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."
I doubt that we intended to dispense with Paul Hurst after 13 matches, but sometimes things get so off track that you have to.

Says he should have been given more time... on 15:13 - Jan 5 with 699 viewsMartus

Says he should have been given more time... on 14:54 - Jan 5 by jayessess

I think it's more that people mis-interpreted some fairly standard football-speak.

"Give us time" that was what we said at the start of the season.

He didn't give Paul Cook time - so he went against his word.

Paul Cook Interview on 15:14 - Jan 5 with 696 viewsMartus

Paul Cook Interview on 14:54 - Jan 5 by xrayspecs

Cook is an old school manager, Ashton is putting in place a structure better suited to modern day first team coaches.

Then why appoint Paul Cook? Why give him the power to demolish and rebuild a squad?

Paul Cook Interview on 15:24 - Jan 5 with 678 viewstractorboy1978

Paul Cook Interview on 15:14 - Jan 5 by Martus

Then why appoint Paul Cook? Why give him the power to demolish and rebuild a squad?

They didn't, Evans did.

I think the reality is they saw PC as a gun for hire and their best chance of a quick promotion given his impressive CV/history of winning promotions and getting teams competing at this level. So they kept him in place.

Our recruitment in the summer was a mish-mash of PC players (Walton, Morsy, Evans, Chaplin) and those identified by Ashton (Harper, Edwards, Edmundson, Celina, Burns) and probably some that fall in between. It's notable though that the foot was clearly put down on the potential Jacobs deal - you'd assume by Ashton once Edwards became available.
Says he should have been given more time... on 15:25 - Jan 5 with 667 viewsjayessess

Says he should have been given more time... on 15:13 - Jan 5 by Martus

"Give us time" means absolute nothing in this context. It certainly doesn't mean "the manager will remain in post come what may".

Says he should have been given more time... on 15:28 - Jan 5 with 662 viewstrncbluearmy

Says he should have been given more time... on 15:13 - Jan 5 by Martus

Cookie had plenty of time, any sign of progress and he would still be in charge, there was none so he was sacked, right decision.
By default Town have ended up with a much better coach working within a far superior modern set up.

ITFC have finally caught up.
Login to get fewer ads

Paul Cook Interview on 15:31 - Jan 5 with 657 viewsMartus

Paul Cook Interview on 15:24 - Jan 5 by tractorboy1978

They didn't, Evans did.

I think the reality is they saw PC as a gun for hire and their best chance of a quick promotion given his impressive CV/history of winning promotions and getting teams competing at this level. So they kept him in place.

Our recruitment in the summer was a mish-mash of PC players (Walton, Morsy, Evans, Chaplin) and those identified by Ashton (Harper, Edwards, Edmundson, Celina, Burns) and probably some that fall in between. It's notable though that the foot was clearly put down on the potential Jacobs deal - you'd assume by Ashton once Edwards became available.

In his first interview Michael O'leary said they were involved in the interviews and Paul Cook was their choice too. He was told that. Otherwise why would Paul Cook accept that role? He was their man.

And if he wasn't their man, as you say, why give him the money to be demolition man?

Says he should have been given more time... on 15:33 - Jan 5 with 653 viewsMartus

Says he should have been given more time... on 15:25 - Jan 5 by jayessess

"Give us time" means absolute nothing in this context. It certainly doesn't mean "the manager will remain in post come what may".

I mean - in the context that everyone was underwhelmed at the start of the season. He backed PC then - he kept talking about the long term - doesn't have to happen in year one ....

Says he should have been given more time... on 15:41 - Jan 5 with 635 viewsMartus

Says he should have been given more time... on 15:28 - Jan 5 by trncbluearmy

Cookie had plenty of time, any sign of progress and he would still be in charge, there was none so he was sacked, right decision.
By default Town have ended up with a much better coach working within a far superior modern set up.

ITFC have finally caught up.

I will back McKenna and think its an exciting appointment.

But to say he is a much better coach than Cook? I don't think you can say that. Cook will get another League One job and I'm convinced he will make a success out of it.

And what has changed with the set up - all McKenna has done has bought in his own assistant, goalkeeper coach and someone for analysis?

Says he should have been given more time... on 15:44 - Jan 5 with 628 viewsjayessess

Says he should have been given more time... on 15:33 - Jan 5 by Martus

I mean - in the context that everyone was underwhelmed at the start of the season. He backed PC then - he kept talking about the long term - doesn't have to happen in year one ....

This is standard in football, you back the manager until you don't.

None of the statements that were made about the ramifications of failing this year mentioned Paul Cook at all. They were all generally about the club being prepared if we didn't get promoted. At no point did anyone say "Paul Cook's job is safe even if we don't get promoted this year", not even close.

Paul Cook Interview on 15:45 - Jan 5 with 622 viewstractorboy1978

Paul Cook Interview on 15:31 - Jan 5 by Martus

In his first interview Michael O'leary said they were involved in the interviews and Paul Cook was their choice too. He was told that. Otherwise why would Paul Cook accept that role? He was their man.

And if he wasn't their man, as you say, why give him the money to be demolition man?

O'Leary didn't say they were involved in the interviews. Evans hadn't even decided to sell at the point Cook was appointed. I think Phil has said on here several times, they really wanted Appleton. And Cook said himself he had no idea there was a takeover going to happen, he thought he was coming in to work for Evans.

I think we all thought we needed a pretty drastic change in personnel in the summer didn't we? Perhaps not quite so drastic but it was always going to be a big turnover. We signed a lot of good players and players like Morsy, Evans, Walton (if he signs perm in the end) and Chaplin would not have come here but for Cook, and continue to be big assets for us going forwards. It's not like he signed a load of old duffers he'd managed before (and as I said before, they obviously didn't allow the deal for an injury prone Jacobs).
[Post edited 5 Jan 2022 15:46]
Says he should have been given more time... on 15:48 - Jan 5 with 613 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Says he should have been given more time... on 14:52 - Jan 5 by Martus

Yeah i agree - we didn't have a run of games where we even play consistently. But when it worked - we looked great e.g. Wycombe and Portsmouth. I agree with you that is not enough and we all wanted more from the team and expected more.

But my main point is - why allow a manager to completely demolish and rebuild a squad - only to sack him? Where is the thought process in that? Utterly pointless. That is a Paul Cook squad that they allowed him to build. Why allow him to do that only to sack him months later - that's the bit that confuses me the most.

If you back him in the transfer window to build a new squad - let him finish the job and give him season to try and get the squad he built to do what he planned it to.

2 matches out of 44??

Really??

He was sacked because his reign was appalling and showed no signs of improvement.

There was little chance of improvement, as we had no coaches with any experience of coaching senior professional football.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Says he should have been given more time... on 15:50 - Jan 5 with 611 viewstrncbluearmy

Says he should have been given more time... on 15:41 - Jan 5 by Martus

I will back McKenna and think its an exciting appointment.

But to say he is a much better coach than Cook? I don't think you can say that. Cook will get another League One job and I'm convinced he will make a success out of it.

And what has changed with the set up - all McKenna has done has bought in his own assistant, goalkeeper coach and someone for analysis?

Think we saw enough in the Wycombe game to see the difference in coaching expertise and the full out at manure confirms his pedigree

Agreed Cook will rise again but he needs to rethink his coaching staff
Sure he would still be here if Richardson had joined him and we would not be having this conversation,
but perhaps ITFC have fallen on their feet with Kieran McKenna.
Paul Cook Interview on 15:51 - Jan 5 with 610 viewsjayessess

Paul Cook Interview on 15:45 - Jan 5 by tractorboy1978

O'Leary didn't say they were involved in the interviews. Evans hadn't even decided to sell at the point Cook was appointed. I think Phil has said on here several times, they really wanted Appleton. And Cook said himself he had no idea there was a takeover going to happen, he thought he was coming in to work for Evans.

I think we all thought we needed a pretty drastic change in personnel in the summer didn't we? Perhaps not quite so drastic but it was always going to be a big turnover. We signed a lot of good players and players like Morsy, Evans, Walton (if he signs perm in the end) and Chaplin would not have come here but for Cook, and continue to be big assets for us going forwards. It's not like he signed a load of old duffers he'd managed before (and as I said before, they obviously didn't allow the deal for an injury prone Jacobs).

IMO by the Summer we were in an invidious situation, with a manager who didn't fit the structure we wanted in place at the club. We couldn't sack him because by the time the CEO was in place Cook had already talked his way into a very loyal following amongst supporters. He was never going to resign because he had a big money contract.

So everyone decided to cross their fingers and give it a chance.

Paul Cook Interview on 15:54 - Jan 5 with 588 viewsKropotkin123

I would have given him a little more time. But I do think he is either deluded in regards to what he had delivered or just trying to spruce up his CV for his next job. Assuming it is the latter.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Says he should have been given more time... on 15:58 - Jan 5 with 578 viewsMartus

Says he should have been given more time... on 15:44 - Jan 5 by jayessess

This is standard in football, you back the manager until you don't.

None of the statements that were made about the ramifications of failing this year mentioned Paul Cook at all. They were all generally about the club being prepared if we didn't get promoted. At no point did anyone say "Paul Cook's job is safe even if we don't get promoted this year", not even close.

So with that being said - why give Paul Cook the massive task of building a new team?

Paul Cook Interview on 16:04 - Jan 5 with 565 viewsMartus

Paul Cook Interview on 15:45 - Jan 5 by tractorboy1978

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/ipswich-town-takeover-report-7793832

Michael O'Leary on meeting Paul Cook for the first time: "But as soon as he discovered he was also number one on our list when we were thinking about finding a new manager when we did buy this club he relaxed and he was very positive."

So yes they were.

Says he should have been given more time... on 16:05 - Jan 5 with 554 viewsjayessess

Says he should have been given more time... on 15:58 - Jan 5 by Martus

So with that being said - why give Paul Cook the massive task of building a new team?

The short answer is that we didn't. We recognised, as a club, that we needed to rebuild the playing squad and did so, as a club. The first team manager was part of that process, but it wasn't the Paul Cook show and they weren't players bought just for Paul Cook.

The massive rebuild is a task for Ipswich Town as an organisation. First team managers in the EFL last, on average, about a year. You can't base that whole process around the idea that the person in that one role is definitely going to be a success.

Paul Cook Interview on 16:08 - Jan 5 with 553 viewsPhilTWTD

Paul Cook Interview on 16:04 - Jan 5 by Martus

Michael O'Leary on meeting Paul Cook for the first time: "But as soon as he discovered he was also number one on our list when we were thinking about finding a new manager when we did buy this club he relaxed and he was very positive."

So yes they were.

They definitely weren't! That doesn't say that they were involved in the discussions around his appointment. They were informed by Marcus he was going to appoint PC rather than having any involvement in the process.
Says he should have been given more time... on 16:09 - Jan 5 with 550 viewsRadlett_blue

Says he should have been given more time... on 16:05 - Jan 5 by jayessess

The short answer is that we didn't. We recognised, as a club, that we needed to rebuild the playing squad and did so, as a club. The first team manager was part of that process, but it wasn't the Paul Cook show and they weren't players bought just for Paul Cook.

The massive rebuild is a task for Ipswich Town as an organisation. First team managers in the EFL last, on average, about a year. You can't base that whole process around the idea that the person in that one role is definitely going to be a success.

Fair enough - changing the manager, the coaching staff, the squad & the style of football every year is a recipe for disaster. Cook didn't appear to have worked well with some of the new club staff, who presumably are to remain here as a constant even if McKenna also proves to be a failure. A football club needs a certain amount of continuity if it is to perform well; let's hope Ashton & the team he has recruited are the right people.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Says he should have been given more time... on 16:10 - Jan 5 with 543 viewsMartus

Says he should have been given more time... on 15:48 - Jan 5 by Marshalls_Mullet

2 matches out of 44??

Really??

He was sacked because his reign was appalling and showed no signs of improvement.

There was little chance of improvement, as we had no coaches with any experience of coaching senior professional football.

Yes there is no denying that - we had not hit the ground running. But as much as you don't like me saying - i think we needed time to work the squad out. We had injuries and couldn't constantly get a settled team.

I didn't agree with Cook on everything he did e.g. taking out Chaplin when he was on fire. But I stand by the fact we needed to give him time to work it out. We appointed him - we needed to back him.

Says he should have been given more time... on 16:14 - Jan 5 with 530 viewsArnieM

Says he should have been given more time... on 14:47 - Jan 5 by MaySixth

Ashton for sure wasn't exactly truthful with us

And if Ashton recruits members of staff but doesn’t even discuss it with his manager ( when these new staff will have an input to the squad), surely that undermines the manager ?

Or is this how modern infrastructures work in football now?

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Paul Cook Interview on 16:14 - Jan 5 with 533 viewstractorboy1978

Paul Cook Interview on 16:04 - Jan 5 by Martus

So yes they were.

Doesn't say they were involved in the interview process. Cook has very publicly said he had no idea about the takeover, so they didn't speak to him before he was appointed. And he was appointed before Evans had even agreed to sell!

They walked into an experienced manager with a track record of promotion from this division - they were never going to sack him but equally doesn't mean he was their first choice by any means at all.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024