Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sky high inflation rates 14:53 - Jan 17 with 2450 viewsDubtractor

Why hasn't more been made of this by our media?

Current inflation levels are the highest in 10 years, soaring by the month, and will be costing UK residents a serious sum. Yet there doesn't seem to be much noise about it?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Sky high inflation rates on 22:32 - Jan 17 with 571 viewsitfcjoe

I think the hope is that when supply lines sort themselves out that things will get back to much lower rates - if they don't in a year or so then we are totally screwed.

Plenty already feeling the pinch - food and petrol hitting people in pockets very hard as it is -rising energy bills will push lots over the edge
[Post edited 17 Jan 2022 22:32]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Sky high inflation rates on 22:54 - Jan 17 with 525 viewsXYZ

Sky high inflation rates on 22:26 - Jan 17 by rgp1

Fair point and I wouldn't argue it. So are we saying just keep on printing? As many of the so called 'experts' say it will bite us on the rear.

There's others better qualifies than me to comment on that, but what's done is done and the government quoting £2.2 trillion debt is a scare story. IMO it's to justify further austerity to hit on the poor for ideological reasons.

I understand there are rippling economic effects of QE that favour the wealthy, at least the way it has been operated to date - it pushes up "asset values" (land/ property/ shares, etc).

One thing we can be certain of though is that there is a "magic money tree" and no need for further austerity.

Austerity is, and always has been, a choice.
Sky high inflation rates on 22:58 - Jan 17 with 519 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Sky high inflation rates on 22:54 - Jan 17 by XYZ

There's others better qualifies than me to comment on that, but what's done is done and the government quoting £2.2 trillion debt is a scare story. IMO it's to justify further austerity to hit on the poor for ideological reasons.

I understand there are rippling economic effects of QE that favour the wealthy, at least the way it has been operated to date - it pushes up "asset values" (land/ property/ shares, etc).

One thing we can be certain of though is that there is a "magic money tree" and no need for further austerity.

Austerity is, and always has been, a choice.

QE to infinity.
The Emperor has no clothes.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/jan/17/china-warns-west-against-rapid-
[Post edited 17 Jan 2022 22:58]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Sky high inflation rates on 23:01 - Jan 17 with 511 viewsXYZ

Sky high inflation rates on 22:58 - Jan 17 by BanksterDebtSlave

QE to infinity.
The Emperor has no clothes.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/jan/17/china-warns-west-against-rapid-
[Post edited 17 Jan 2022 22:58]

You're a Thatcherite?

What's your point?
Sky high inflation rates on 09:21 - Jan 18 with 433 viewsJ2BLUE

Sky high inflation rates on 21:33 - Jan 17 by Darth_Koont

It’s a good point. Very little coverage overall.

I’m not a macro-economics person by any stretch although I can grasp things like the UK’s consistently low productivity and guess where that’s heading. But yes, even with my limited understanding, the global rise in inflation and how acute it is in the UK is a bigger worry than a lot of our front page stuff.

Seems to be a pure hit on people’s pockets not even offset by a rise in profits and share value for those lucky enough to benefit.

I did find a very strange line on the BBC explaining it. After talking about a jar of jam that goes up by 5p on the pound they say: “It applies to services too, like having your nails done or getting your car cleaned.” By that logic you could almost beat inflation just by avoiding the luxury of not getting your nails done or your car cleaned. But that really detracts from the real effect which is what happens to the poorest people in an even more squeezed economy.

Think you're reading a bit too much into that last bit. It's a fair point that services are equally effected even if they chose some odds ones.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Sky high inflation rates on 09:37 - Jan 18 with 415 viewsLord_Lucan

Sky high inflation rates on 22:32 - Jan 17 by itfcjoe

I think the hope is that when supply lines sort themselves out that things will get back to much lower rates - if they don't in a year or so then we are totally screwed.

Plenty already feeling the pinch - food and petrol hitting people in pockets very hard as it is -rising energy bills will push lots over the edge
[Post edited 17 Jan 2022 22:32]

You will know more than most about price hikes because building trade was one of the first trades hit.

I've been banging on about freight rises for over a year and it largely fell on deaf ears. With freight prices still around the $18,000 per container (normal is $2,500) and wages and energy going up and up then there is no short term answer, I'm surprised it has taken so long to hit the media.

I don't think it's going to even out anytime soon, freight won't budge this year and energy costs and wages will continue to rise.

If mortgage rates go up then we could all be in a bit of a pickle.

When all said and done though, mortgage rates, consumer goods and food had never been so low in price.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Sky high inflation rates on 09:48 - Jan 18 with 404 viewsCotty

Sky high inflation rates on 09:37 - Jan 18 by Lord_Lucan

You will know more than most about price hikes because building trade was one of the first trades hit.

I've been banging on about freight rises for over a year and it largely fell on deaf ears. With freight prices still around the $18,000 per container (normal is $2,500) and wages and energy going up and up then there is no short term answer, I'm surprised it has taken so long to hit the media.

I don't think it's going to even out anytime soon, freight won't budge this year and energy costs and wages will continue to rise.

If mortgage rates go up then we could all be in a bit of a pickle.

When all said and done though, mortgage rates, consumer goods and food had never been so low in price.

Mortgage interest rates were low, but property costs at eye-watering highs. A small % of a huge sum is a lot of money. House next to us recently sold for more than double what was paid for it 6-7 years ago. Insane.
Sky high inflation rates on 09:54 - Jan 18 with 380 viewsLord_Lucan

Sky high inflation rates on 09:48 - Jan 18 by Cotty

Mortgage interest rates were low, but property costs at eye-watering highs. A small % of a huge sum is a lot of money. House next to us recently sold for more than double what was paid for it 6-7 years ago. Insane.

Property costs are crazy I agree, daughter Lucan just bought a new house and prices were going for 10% more than asking price - but low interest rates help to fuel this, it's a vicious circle and it's ok if you are on the ladder but I feel very bad for people who aren't and can't get on it.

The problem now though is if rates went up to a historic norm then shed loads of people would lose their house.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024