Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cameron Burgess and his poor first 6 months 09:15 - Jan 23 with 2109 viewsDubtractor

I was thinking yesterday, as I watched Accrington's CB's launch the ball high in the air for the umpteenth time, that it isn't surprising that Burgess has struggled to settle into a team that wants to pass from the back. If that is how he was playing there then I struggle to see how anyone thought he was a good fit for what we are trying to do.

I've not seen a team so determined to just make everything a scrap for a while. It wasn't just long balls, but they were literally pumping it up in the air regardless of where it landed, to get a 50/50 scrap for it.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Cameron Burgess and his poor first 6 months on 09:33 - Jan 23 with 1968 viewsMetal_Hacker

Your re spot on. Everything was pumped up in the air making it a 50/50 scenario

Perhaps they made that more so with ourselves due to be a smaller team and a footballing team (perhaps also being know for not putting up much of a fight when the going gets tough)

Really ugly football and at times was like watching Sunday morning stuff

Top marks for the lads and McK because we stuck by our principles and like I mentioned yesterday , football was the winner

Horrible horrible team to watch , more so than Wycombe

Poll: If it were one or the other

Cameron Burgess and his poor first 6 months on 09:35 - Jan 23 with 1946 viewsJDB23

Yeah he really was a panic buy tbh. Think they looked at some of his stats and thought he’d be worth bringing in but hasn’t looked comfortable since day 1. Wouldn’t be surprised to see us move him on in the summer.
Cameron Burgess and his poor first 6 months on 10:19 - Jan 23 with 1813 viewsBasuco

Cameron Burgess may well have to step in due to injury, illness of suspension and he will do a very good job, the difference is that the players are now being coached and improved, look at the fantastic performance by Tom Carroll yesterday, whereas under Paul Cook players confidence seemed to drain away. Seeing how Town have improved as a team under KcK and how well Leam Richardson has done without Paul Cook, it is very obvious what the problem was, no one knew how to make any technical changes during a match.
Cameron Burgess and his poor first 6 months on 10:20 - Jan 23 with 1814 viewsArnieM

McKenna summed it up succinctly when he said “ they play for set plays, and are good at what they do”.

AS can’t play football so they make it a war . This is literally the FIRST time I’ve known a Town side deal with an opponents approach like this.

When we do do get promoted back to the Championship then you’ll see just how good this team will be ( accepting that we’ll be bringing in even better players) .

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Cameron Burgess and his poor first 6 months on 10:22 - Jan 23 with 1784 viewstextbackup

Cameron Burgess and his poor first 6 months on 10:20 - Jan 23 by ArnieM

McKenna summed it up succinctly when he said “ they play for set plays, and are good at what they do”.

AS can’t play football so they make it a war . This is literally the FIRST time I’ve known a Town side deal with an opponents approach like this.

When we do do get promoted back to the Championship then you’ll see just how good this team will be ( accepting that we’ll be bringing in even better players) .

Whilst commenting on them all being giants it hit me that they had Burgess in that back line too last season!
KMc is right, they are good at what they do, but Christ, it’s a horrible watch

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Cameron Burgess and his poor first 6 months on 10:26 - Jan 23 with 1737 viewsKeaneish

I think that’s unfair on Burgess, he’s actually mot bad with the ball at his feet for someone of his size and build. His best asset is heading. He’s had a couple of iffy moments with the ball on the deck but then so has Wolfenden. Burgess is a cut above the cart horses in their side yesterday IMO.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Cameron Burgess and his poor first 6 months on 17:22 - Jan 23 with 1324 viewsSawtrich

The way we play now depends on the back three all being comfortable enough on the ball. Not sure that Burgess fits in with that, but then JD and Edmondson both passed it to Bolton players last week for their second goal. I can't really see Burgess getting forward with the ball the way those two have in recent weeks though. I hope he proves me wrong if he gets a chance.
Cameron Burgess and his poor first 6 months on 18:27 - Jan 23 with 1082 viewsitfcsuth

I don’t understand the criticism of Burgess, he’s a perfectly decent centre half option.

Doesn’t get in right now due to the form of the current 3, but is good alternative at this level.

I believe up until a couple of weeks ago he was in our top 3 for highest pass completion rate.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2022 18:28]
Login to get fewer ads

Cameron Burgess and his poor first 6 months on 19:15 - Jan 23 with 944 viewsSawtrich

I just don't think he's the style of defender that fits in with how we're looking to play now. For example, Donacien's assist yesterday, bursting forward and pulling the ball back.
Cameron Burgess and his poor first 6 months on 22:44 - Jan 23 with 703 viewsBondiBlue

Cameron Burgess and his poor first 6 months on 10:26 - Jan 23 by Keaneish

I think that’s unfair on Burgess, he’s actually mot bad with the ball at his feet for someone of his size and build. His best asset is heading. He’s had a couple of iffy moments with the ball on the deck but then so has Wolfenden. Burgess is a cut above the cart horses in their side yesterday IMO.

I had similar thoughts to the OP earlier in the season, not in relation to burgess' distribution but instead how high cook wanted us to play. Burgess seems slow on the turn and is exposed when balls went past him. At cambridge it was especially obvious. If he had been scouted properly and the other team's low(er) block taken into account, perhaps we would have looked elsewhere.

Poll: Which would you accept?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024