Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland 08:30 - Jan 25 with 3455 viewsgiant_stow

Planned for feb: https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/24/europe/russia-naval-exercise-ireland-intl/index.h

Do they often do this? Seems a nice way to stretch Nato.

Edited title thanks to Homer.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2022 8:39]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 14:23 - Jan 25 with 1189 viewsWeWereZombies

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 14:16 - Jan 25 by leitrimblue

That's Co.Cavan/Leitrim butter. Wouldn't trust that it as far as I could throw it.Never seen a dairy cow in Leitrim. Bog makes for fairly poor pasture

Ah, so it's not cow's milk then...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 14:25 - Jan 25 with 1188 viewsChurchman

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 13:43 - Jan 25 by HARRY10

What on earth are you on about !

'Nato is fractured and weak'

Really, I think it is more a case of you being clueless

The first article I came across is from 2021

https://www.politico.eu/article/us-president-joe-biden-embraces-nato-but-europea

Ok, that’s just one article and possibly unreliable. I looked at defence spending by GDP. Of significant economies, the US obviously spend the most, U.K. on 2.29% and France along with Poland at around 2%. Germany? Well, they’re some way beneath the 2%. I also think of the limp response when Russia attacked U.K. citizens in Salisbury.

Add in Biden and that German admiral’s recent comments and this is why I said NATO is fractured and weak. It’s just an opinion and we will see how clueless I am when Ukraine is swallowed up.
Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 15:06 - Jan 25 with 1155 viewsHARRY10

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 14:25 - Jan 25 by Churchman

The first article I came across is from 2021

https://www.politico.eu/article/us-president-joe-biden-embraces-nato-but-europea

Ok, that’s just one article and possibly unreliable. I looked at defence spending by GDP. Of significant economies, the US obviously spend the most, U.K. on 2.29% and France along with Poland at around 2%. Germany? Well, they’re some way beneath the 2%. I also think of the limp response when Russia attacked U.K. citizens in Salisbury.

Add in Biden and that German admiral’s recent comments and this is why I said NATO is fractured and weak. It’s just an opinion and we will see how clueless I am when Ukraine is swallowed up.

So one article spinning a biased US line, and............................err, ..................a comment by one German general and an internal UK police matter is your evidence.

And if you think Russia is about to swallow Ukraine then you definitely are away with the fairies.

Russia is running scared that Ukraine is about to join Nato, if it does it leaves only Belarus left of its former 'empire'.

It now faces a Nato bolstered by former allies - Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Poland, Rumania, Czech, Slovakia, Slovenia, Croatia and Hungary

A NATO (inc the EU) that has the financial clout to wreck Russia via sanctions. I should imagine this is little more than a bit of 'sabre rattling'.
Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 15:06 - Jan 25 with 1155 viewsleitrimblue

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 14:23 - Jan 25 by WeWereZombies

No idea Zombers, no one in Ireland as ever tried it. We have full access to Kerrygold....
Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 15:06 - Jan 25 with 1155 viewsEireannach_gorm

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 14:16 - Jan 25 by leitrimblue

That's Co.Cavan/Leitrim butter. Wouldn't trust that it as far as I could throw it.Never seen a dairy cow in Leitrim. Bog makes for fairly poor pasture

Keeps well in the bog though!

https://www.thejournal.ie/irish-bog-butter-study-4541342-Mar2019/

Suspect it might taste a bit off, so send this to the Russians?
Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 15:16 - Jan 25 with 1144 viewsWeWereZombies

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 15:06 - Jan 25 by Eireannach_gorm

I now have the mental image of the Irish fishing fleet sailing past a Russian warship and all aboard tucking into carragheen smothered in Kerrygold whilst waving packets of Taytos and Tiffin at the Russian sailors 'feck off, youse, yer not getting yer hands on dis'

The Russians look up briefly from their caviar and Smirnoff....

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 15:25 - Jan 25 with 1132 viewsfooters

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 14:23 - Jan 25 by WeWereZombies

"Rats? You promised me dog or higher!"

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 15:28 - Jan 25 with 1126 viewsWeWereZombies

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 15:25 - Jan 25 by footers

"Rats? You promised me dog or higher!"

The skillset required to milk a rat should not be dismissed so readily...

Login to get fewer ads

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 15:41 - Jan 25 with 1112 viewsChurchman

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 15:06 - Jan 25 by HARRY10

So one article spinning a biased US line, and............................err, ..................a comment by one German general and an internal UK police matter is your evidence.

And if you think Russia is about to swallow Ukraine then you definitely are away with the fairies.

Russia is running scared that Ukraine is about to join Nato, if it does it leaves only Belarus left of its former 'empire'.

It now faces a Nato bolstered by former allies - Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Poland, Rumania, Czech, Slovakia, Slovenia, Croatia and Hungary

A NATO (inc the EU) that has the financial clout to wreck Russia via sanctions. I should imagine this is little more than a bit of 'sabre rattling'.

So swallowing the Crimea in 2014 was ‘away with the fairies?’

Another article. There are plenty out there, but this one has some interesting views.

https://rusi.org/explore-our-research/publications/commentary/natos-weakness-not

Russia has gone some way to future proofing itself against sanctions, not least by making EU countries dependant on it for gas so EU leverage is at best minimal. NATO has no financial clout. It’s a military alliance which showed pretty little unity in Afghanistan last year. What makes you think it will show any with Russia or China, come to that, if push comes to shove?

I’m sure I am misreading you, but by talking about Belarus being the only country left of its former empire if Ukraine joins NATO you imply that you think Russia has the right to force Ukraine to do as it wishes. This is despite agreeing its border with the Budapest Memorandum. Ukraine is a sovereign country, not Russia lite and should be free to make its own choices like any other in my view.

We’ve been down the ‘ahhh well’ route before in 1938 and that ended rather badly.
Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 15:48 - Jan 25 with 1104 viewsleitrimblue

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 15:06 - Jan 25 by Eireannach_gorm

I was excitedly told a while ago by a colleague who works in the National Museum, that bronze age bog butter is so well preserved in the bog that if you were to sample it when it's first removed you could eat it. I told him in my professional view that 3000 year old butter could completely ruin a bacon sandwich and wasn't worth the risk. Plenty good enough for a few Russian sailors to put on a smoked sausage sarnie though
Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 16:04 - Jan 25 with 1073 viewsHARRY10

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 15:41 - Jan 25 by Churchman

So swallowing the Crimea in 2014 was ‘away with the fairies?’

Another article. There are plenty out there, but this one has some interesting views.

https://rusi.org/explore-our-research/publications/commentary/natos-weakness-not

Russia has gone some way to future proofing itself against sanctions, not least by making EU countries dependant on it for gas so EU leverage is at best minimal. NATO has no financial clout. It’s a military alliance which showed pretty little unity in Afghanistan last year. What makes you think it will show any with Russia or China, come to that, if push comes to shove?

I’m sure I am misreading you, but by talking about Belarus being the only country left of its former empire if Ukraine joins NATO you imply that you think Russia has the right to force Ukraine to do as it wishes. This is despite agreeing its border with the Budapest Memorandum. Ukraine is a sovereign country, not Russia lite and should be free to make its own choices like any other in my view.

We’ve been down the ‘ahhh well’ route before in 1938 and that ended rather badly.

I would stop digging if I were you

Finding obscure websites to back your bizarre theories is the work of nutjob anti vaxxers.

You might care to note that NATO members working in Afghanistan were working under a UN Security Council mandate. Not taking some unilateral action. I would suggest you read up on what that mandate was. It might explain things.

It has the financial clout of its members governments - something that is already in force.

I would suggest you read up on NATOs co-ordination in evacuating 120,000 people from Afghanistan.

"you imply that you think Russia has the right to force Ukraine to do as it wishes"

No, that is just you making up stuff. I never stated that. Though it does go some way to explaining how your mind works, and what leads you to these cranky thoughts. Something underpinned by your weird thought that this is some how akin to 1938.

You'll be telling us that Martians have landed, next.
Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 17:32 - Jan 25 with 1030 viewsHARRY10

"not least by making EU countries dependant on it for gas so EU leverage is at best minimal. NATO has no financial clout. " Churchman

Well, that didn't last long

"The US has helped prepare for the diversion of natural gas supplies from around the world to Europe in the event that the flow from Russia is cut, in an effort to blunt Vladimir Putin’s most powerful economic weapon."

"The Biden administration also insists that US and European financial sanctions plans are converging, and that the US is preparing export controls on western technology which would cripple Putin’s efforts to diversify his economy."

None of which sounds like a fractured and weakened NATO. Sounds like well co-ordinated action. Have read

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/jan/25/us-europe-russia-gas-supplies-en
Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 18:00 - Jan 25 with 1010 viewsJuggsy

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 08:54 - Jan 25 by Churchman

Years ago, they were forever sending aircraft towards U.K. airspace to see response times etc. full exercises?

Thinking about this, a bit of prodding and pushing geographically between Europe and the US symbolically is a very good move on their part, knowing that Western Europe cannot defend itself in any meaningful way and knowing NATO is fractured and weak.

They regularly send Bear and Backfire aircraft around to have a probe, not encroaching further than 12nm from the coastline - much as we do the same kind of thing to them. Navy wise it's a lot less often but when their fleet are transiting through the Atlantic or North Sea they ramp up their activity to cause a bit of a nuisance and have a flex. Nothing is ever unexpected as intel is strong. Source - I was an Aerospace Systems Manager and Surveillance Director for 30 years in the RAF.
Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 18:35 - Jan 25 with 986 viewsRyorry

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 18:00 - Jan 25 by Juggsy

They regularly send Bear and Backfire aircraft around to have a probe, not encroaching further than 12nm from the coastline - much as we do the same kind of thing to them. Navy wise it's a lot less often but when their fleet are transiting through the Atlantic or North Sea they ramp up their activity to cause a bit of a nuisance and have a flex. Nothing is ever unexpected as intel is strong. Source - I was an Aerospace Systems Manager and Surveillance Director for 30 years in the RAF.

Nice one Juggsy, interesting line of work.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 18:38 - Jan 25 with 974 viewsRyorry

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 15:48 - Jan 25 by leitrimblue

I was excitedly told a while ago by a colleague who works in the National Museum, that bronze age bog butter is so well preserved in the bog that if you were to sample it when it's first removed you could eat it. I told him in my professional view that 3000 year old butter could completely ruin a bacon sandwich and wasn't worth the risk. Plenty good enough for a few Russian sailors to put on a smoked sausage sarnie though

Less likely to be so well preserved in future, sadly, due to climate change (reports in today' news bulletins).

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 18:51 - Jan 25 with 966 viewsChurchman

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 16:04 - Jan 25 by HARRY10

I would stop digging if I were you

Finding obscure websites to back your bizarre theories is the work of nutjob anti vaxxers.

You might care to note that NATO members working in Afghanistan were working under a UN Security Council mandate. Not taking some unilateral action. I would suggest you read up on what that mandate was. It might explain things.

It has the financial clout of its members governments - something that is already in force.

I would suggest you read up on NATOs co-ordination in evacuating 120,000 people from Afghanistan.

"you imply that you think Russia has the right to force Ukraine to do as it wishes"

No, that is just you making up stuff. I never stated that. Though it does go some way to explaining how your mind works, and what leads you to these cranky thoughts. Something underpinned by your weird thought that this is some how akin to 1938.

You'll be telling us that Martians have landed, next.

If you have read the Washington Post you will find that even if world gas supplies can meet Germany’s need, European port capacity will only take 50% in the event of Russia shutting its pipeline down. One of the reasons energy prices are so high is that Russia is already restricting supply, I believe.

Hey ho, believe what you want.

That is the third time you have been rude. I have not been rude to you once. My conversation with you ends here.
Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 18:54 - Jan 25 with 961 viewsChurchman

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 18:00 - Jan 25 by Juggsy

Wow, thanks for this. That’s interesting. As Ryorry says, a really interesting line of work.

Have you lunched in the RAF Club? You deserve that privilege for doing that stuff
[Post edited 25 Jan 2022 18:54]
Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 20:04 - Jan 25 with 943 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 18:51 - Jan 25 by Churchman

If you have read the Washington Post you will find that even if world gas supplies can meet Germany’s need, European port capacity will only take 50% in the event of Russia shutting its pipeline down. One of the reasons energy prices are so high is that Russia is already restricting supply, I believe.

Hey ho, believe what you want.

That is the third time you have been rude. I have not been rude to you once. My conversation with you ends here.

Ignore him he’s a parody account anyway.

Any financial sanctions will be less crippling to Russia than if he cuts off gas the Germany and the EU. Nord stream was a terrible idea for this reason, and exactly why the US opposed it.
Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 23:07 - Jan 25 with 871 viewsJuggsy

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 18:54 - Jan 25 by Churchman

Wow, thanks for this. That’s interesting. As Ryorry says, a really interesting line of work.

Have you lunched in the RAF Club? You deserve that privilege for doing that stuff
[Post edited 25 Jan 2022 18:54]

I have, yes! Lovely place.

It was a really interesting and fulfilling career, although I think I left at the right time about 3 years ago as the defence cuts were starting to bite hard and any real perks eroded so I started a new career on the Tyne & Wear Metro :D
Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 23:31 - Jan 25 with 848 viewsChurchman

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 23:07 - Jan 25 by Juggsy

I have, yes! Lovely place.

It was a really interesting and fulfilling career, although I think I left at the right time about 3 years ago as the defence cuts were starting to bite hard and any real perks eroded so I started a new career on the Tyne & Wear Metro :D

Great isn’t it. I was invited with my MoD ski buddy by a former Lightning, Phantom, Tornado and just about everything else pilot who was interested to meet me. A lovely, interesting bloke and obviously top of the heap in pilot terms. We had a great time and we tottered out having done lunch and beyond justice.

The only scary moment was the first pint, served up the day after the new beige carpet had been laid in the bar. The barman filled the glass right to the top. I wept… but I didn’t spill a drop.

I think you did leave at the right time. I finished two and a half years ago, but the year and a half before that I got involved with some interesting stuff in Main Building and know how tough it was getting. I also got shown Henry’s wine cellar, which I knew about but never thought I’d get to see.
Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 06:44 - Jan 26 with 754 viewsWeWereZombies

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 15:48 - Jan 25 by leitrimblue

Not for long:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-60091485

'Because peat contains very little oxygen, organic materials like wood, leather and textiles do not rot. They can survive for thousands of years, preserved by the stable anoxic chemistry of the soil.

But if the soils dry, oxygen can enter the system, kick-starting the process of decomposition. If that happens artefacts can, quite quickly, rot away.'

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 14:13 - Jan 26 with 696 viewsHARRY10

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 20:04 - Jan 25 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Ignore him he’s a parody account anyway.

Any financial sanctions will be less crippling to Russia than if he cuts off gas the Germany and the EU. Nord stream was a terrible idea for this reason, and exactly why the US opposed it.

blimey there's two of them !

at least that's what it 'appears'
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024