Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Barry Cryer RIP. 10:37 - Jan 27 with 2324 viewsgainsboroughblue

Legend.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-60154371

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Barry Cryer RIP. on 23:20 - Jan 27 with 630 viewsRyorry

Barry Cryer RIP. on 23:15 - Jan 27 by Swansea_Blue

Oops, accidentally down vote

Corrected :)

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Barry Cryer RIP. on 23:21 - Jan 27 with 627 viewsWhos_blue

Barry Cryer RIP. on 22:37 - Jan 27 by Lord_Lucan

Only just read this. What do you mean by the way?

What did he ever do anyway? He's always seemed to be the bloke who popped up talking about people like Harry Sycombe, Eric Sykes, Lionel Blair etc when they died.

I'm sure he was a nice guy but when I've seen him trying to be funny he wasn't.

Was he actually a comedian?

As posted by the OP, this might help you.

BBC News - Barry Cryer: Tributes paid to veteran comedian and writer
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-60154371

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Barry Cryer RIP. on 23:25 - Jan 27 with 623 viewsLord_Lucan

Barry Cryer RIP. on 22:44 - Jan 27 by jeera

He probably wrote more of the stuff we've laughed at over the years buddy rather than performing it.

Dave Allen among one of the big names he used to write with apparently.

Big history in radio comedy too.

Maybe, maybe not.

The likes of Dave Allen were ok, I used to enjoy him to a point.

Did he write for Monkhouse and co? I don't know by the way.

He was undoubtably very accomplished otherwise he wouldn't have got as far as he did, and I mean that as much as respect as in stature.

I still don't get him though, he always seemed to be the comedian for old tvvats.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Barry Cryer RIP. on 01:03 - Jan 28 with 572 viewsjeera

Barry Cryer RIP. on 23:25 - Jan 27 by Lord_Lucan

Maybe, maybe not.

He was undoubtably very accomplished otherwise he wouldn't have got as far as he did, and I mean that as much as respect as in stature.

I still don't get him though, he always seemed to be the comedian for old tvvats.

Well yes we'd have been too young for much of his/their material but I was fond of people like Tommy Cooper when I was a kid. Most families were familiar with Morecambe and Wise etc.

But I did like the dry Dave Allen once I was old enough and went to see on stage the likes of Spike Milligan and Jasper Carrot. I stress this was in my early teens.

So sure, it's likely I would have watched some of his material without even knowing it.

Quite a list here for example.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Cryer

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Barry Cryer RIP. on 10:39 - Jan 28 with 499 viewsLord_Lucan

Barry Cryer RIP. on 01:03 - Jan 28 by jeera

Well yes we'd have been too young for much of his/their material but I was fond of people like Tommy Cooper when I was a kid. Most families were familiar with Morecambe and Wise etc.

But I did like the dry Dave Allen once I was old enough and went to see on stage the likes of Spike Milligan and Jasper Carrot. I stress this was in my early teens.

So sure, it's likely I would have watched some of his material without even knowing it.

Quite a list here for example.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Cryer

I listened all night to very talented people saying how funny Barry Cryer was and quoting his funny jokes and punchlines . I remained unimpressed so I have decided that I am simply wrong and I am a bit weird by not finding him funny.

I'm not trying to be a tvvat here, I honestly think that he was obviously brilliant but just not for me.

It's a bit like Prince, I completely acknowledge that he was one of the most talented musicians ever on the planet - but I can't stand any of his stuff.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Barry Cryer RIP. on 19:02 - Jan 28 with 431 viewsZXBlue

Barry Cryer RIP. on 23:25 - Jan 27 by Lord_Lucan

Maybe, maybe not.

Thats what i thought, until I started listening to Im sorry I havent a clue. When it became apparent he was incredibly clever and funny.
Barry Cryer RIP. on 19:30 - Jan 28 with 406 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Barry Cryer RIP. on 10:39 - Jan 28 by Lord_Lucan

I listened all night to very talented people saying how funny Barry Cryer was and quoting his funny jokes and punchlines . I remained unimpressed so I have decided that I am simply wrong and I am a bit weird by not finding him funny.

I'm not trying to be a tvvat here, I honestly think that he was obviously brilliant but just not for me.

It's a bit like Prince, I completely acknowledge that he was one of the most talented musicians ever on the planet - but I can't stand any of his stuff.

Maybe it's something you needed to have grown up with rather than diving straight into now. You're body's just not tuned into it. Like Battenberg and pineapple on pizza.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Barry Cryer RIP. on 19:36 - Jan 28 with 394 viewsLord_Lucan

Barry Cryer RIP. on 19:30 - Jan 28 by The_Flashing_Smile

Maybe it's something you needed to have grown up with rather than diving straight into now. You're body's just not tuned into it. Like Battenberg and pineapple on pizza.

It could be that I am right and everyone else is wrong - but doubtful

I listen to LBC all night as I am a mild insomniac and they were talking about BC and how funny he was. Originally I thought I just hadn't heard enough of him but they kept rolling out his so called funniest clips and I just didn't get them.

And then I didn't get Wordle....................

It's been a funny ol day!

Login to get fewer ads

Barry Cryer RIP. on 19:54 - Jan 28 with 375 viewsKeno

Barry Cryer RIP. on 19:36 - Jan 28 by Lord_Lucan

It could be that I am right and everyone else is wrong - but doubtful

I listen to LBC all night as I am a mild insomniac and they were talking about BC and how funny he was. Originally I thought I just hadn't heard enough of him but they kept rolling out his so called funniest clips and I just didn't get them.

And then I didn't get Wordle....................

It's been a funny ol day!

He was very much the comedians comic.

Although he was a conventional stand up or actor he had a writing career that spanned several decades and several genres of comedy and for a lot of 'the greats' he was their go to guy.

Think of you your favourite underrated Town player of all time was, thats kind of the role Barry Cryer had in comedy

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Barry Cryer RIP. on 20:11 - Jan 28 with 356 viewsLord_Lucan

Barry Cryer RIP. on 19:54 - Jan 28 by Keno

He was very much the comedians comic.

Although he was a conventional stand up or actor he had a writing career that spanned several decades and several genres of comedy and for a lot of 'the greats' he was their go to guy.

Think of you your favourite underrated Town player of all time was, thats kind of the role Barry Cryer had in comedy

Are you saying Steve McCall is dead?

Barry Cryer RIP. on 20:12 - Jan 28 with 354 viewsKeno

Barry Cryer RIP. on 20:11 - Jan 28 by Lord_Lucan

Are you saying Steve McCall is dead?

Not yet, but a good player comparison with Cryer

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024