Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We’re going to finish a max 13:06 - Apr 20 with 2175 viewsVic

of 3 points better off than last season, and quite possibly a place or two lower!

I’m loving what KM is doing, but he really has got to get the team performing at a step level above what he’s done so far. I’m confident that he will, but really we’ve fallen a long way short and it’s not all Cooks fault.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

We’re going to finish a max on 14:47 - Apr 20 with 476 viewsabracaDOBRA_

We’re going to finish a max on 14:38 - Apr 20 by pointofblue

Guessing you mean Jackson rather than Morsy? He didn’t start until McKenna’s eighth game in charge (MK Dons away) - our goal scoring in the run between then and Portsmouth, when he went off injured, was eight goals in six matches, three of those coming against Burton.

Admittedly missing Edmundson (why is he known as Fridge) has admittedly hurt our defence. I think Bakinson has done well since arriving and I have no idea why Carroll was preferred against Cambridge.

Jackson as well yeah, but Morsy was injured for a couple games after getting injured in the same game as Fridge. He also had that 3 game suspension (his own fault i know)
We’re going to finish a max on 15:01 - Apr 20 with 448 viewspointofblue

We’re going to finish a max on 14:47 - Apr 20 by abracaDOBRA_

Jackson as well yeah, but Morsy was injured for a couple games after getting injured in the same game as Fridge. He also had that 3 game suspension (his own fault i know)

I think I’d be more tempted to blame Andy Holt personally.

Morsy’s played in 17 of McKenna’s 21 matches in charge - missed four games covering from Wimbledon to Doncaster which I assume was the suspension? He went off injured at Posrtsmouth, came off the bench against Oxford then returned to the starting line up for the Plymouth game.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

We’re going to finish a max on 15:02 - Apr 20 with 448 viewstractorboy1978

We’re going to finish a max on 14:15 - Apr 20 by pointofblue

Yes.

First ten games - 2.1 points
Last ten games (before yesterday) - 1.4 points

I think Cook left with a record of 1.4 points per game from his final ten (or was that his overall time in charge this season?) Either way, not much different there. I said on another another thread, I’d be happier if we took 1.4 ppg from our first ten and 2.1 ppg from the next ten as that would show progress. As it is, points wise, we’re slipping backwards.

Add to this we haven’t kept a clean sheet - our strength - in four games, our defending from set pieces and long throws looks increasingly dodgy and we don’t create enough compared to the amount of possession we have; we scored nine goals in McKenna’s first five games in charge at nearly two goals a game but have only netted 15 in the sixteen matches since.

As for the quality of the squad, whilst people question it’s quality, on paper whose squad would you swap it with given the opportunity?

McKenna’s done a good job since taking over and two performances akin to yesterday will give me a little more confidence heading into the summer. I am looking forward to what he’s going to do with the squad. But I still have some nagging doubts I can’t shift. I’m not pleased or proud that they’re there but they are, and that’s because of the above.

My advice would be stop catastrophising and overthinking, enjoy the summer sunshine and see where we are after a few games next season.
We’re going to finish a max on 15:16 - Apr 20 with 431 viewspointofblue

We’re going to finish a max on 15:02 - Apr 20 by tractorboy1978

My advice would be stop catastrophising and overthinking, enjoy the summer sunshine and see where we are after a few games next season.

Just trying to provide balance - I acknowledge that the post drives the negative too far but it feels like others are pushing the positives too far too.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

We’re going to finish a max on 15:20 - Apr 20 with 419 viewsElephantintheRoom

Two things missing from that analysis - Cook destroyed team spirit and created a sow’s ear that had every player wanting to leave within a couple of weeks of arriving. McKenna by contrast had a clean slate on offer and demoralised players such as Woolf, Jackson and Norwood to bring in. Only relatively recently have the wheels come off as the loan players and out of contract players look for their next move.

It’s a bit simplistic to think a few signings will make much difference. Five new pointless loans will arrive and our record of turning prolific strikers into complete duds stretches back many years. I’d also add in the hard-nosed Americans currently questioning Ashton & co why the league table and management team looks so different to what was glibly promised a year ago. Behind them the real owner of the franchise, Mr Schwarz will be asking some very difficult questions

Mind you - IF McKenna has the common sense to build on what he has got, rather than do a Cookie - and IF Jackson and KVY are still here and stay fit - it could be a good season despite few signings and pointless loans

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

We’re going to finish a max on 16:07 - Apr 20 with 396 viewsSTYG

We’re going to finish a max on 15:20 - Apr 20 by ElephantintheRoom

Two things missing from that analysis - Cook destroyed team spirit and created a sow’s ear that had every player wanting to leave within a couple of weeks of arriving. McKenna by contrast had a clean slate on offer and demoralised players such as Woolf, Jackson and Norwood to bring in. Only relatively recently have the wheels come off as the loan players and out of contract players look for their next move.

It’s a bit simplistic to think a few signings will make much difference. Five new pointless loans will arrive and our record of turning prolific strikers into complete duds stretches back many years. I’d also add in the hard-nosed Americans currently questioning Ashton & co why the league table and management team looks so different to what was glibly promised a year ago. Behind them the real owner of the franchise, Mr Schwarz will be asking some very difficult questions

Mind you - IF McKenna has the common sense to build on what he has got, rather than do a Cookie - and IF Jackson and KVY are still here and stay fit - it could be a good season despite few signings and pointless loans

That first paragraph had me thinking a normal poster had hacked into your account.

But you managed to convince me it was really you early in the second with 'five pointless new loans'.

Then the final paragraph made me question it again.

At 45% positive content, I make this a new record for you on the positivity scale by at least 44%.
We’re going to finish a max on 17:11 - Apr 20 with 358 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Last season Lambert had us just shy of the play-offs before Cook was installed and took us backwards. He was not in place long enough to drop us too far.

This season Cook had nearly half the season in which we were well short of where we were under Lambert.

To be fair on McKenna, compare the second half of last season with the second half of this season. I am quite confident McKenna will stand up well. If you compare the first halves of the two, I am sure it will reveal a lot about Cook vs Lambert too.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

We’re going to finish a max on 17:11 - Apr 20 with 357 viewschicoazul

He does Opie yes that’s true, but it’s also true that we have genuine reasons for optimism now for the first time in five years.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Login to get fewer ads

We’re going to finish a max on 17:40 - Apr 20 with 351 viewsTheBoyBlue

Whilst you are factually correct on the headline facts, that seems a very simplistic way of looking at things. We need strikers with confidence. He has tried with our current strikers, but only Jackson has responded and sadly he got injured of course. Otherwise there is nothing he can do about that until he gets into the transfer market.

He has had no preseason to properly whip the squad into shape and naturally there will be one or two other areas he will have realised he can only improve with transfers.

Hopefully then we'll see the team performing at a step level above.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024