Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First international to play in this country 21:57 - Apr 20 with 3242 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Baggott's debut the other day got me thinking.

We have the first Indonesian international to play in this country.
Sergei was the first Soviet.
Was Muhren the first Dutch player in this country?
Was Yallop the first Canadian?
Shumilokoski the first Macedonian?
Did Colin Viljoen have South African nationality as well as English (and was he preceded by another)?
Did Terry Butcher hold Singaporean nationality as well as English?

Have we had any other nationalities that have been the first of that nationality to play in this country?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

First international to play in this country on 22:09 - Apr 20 with 2642 viewsParisBlue

Boncho - the first Bulgarian

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

First international to play in this country on 22:11 - Apr 20 with 2630 viewsKeno

Bru, the first Mauritian?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

First international to play in this country on 22:20 - Apr 20 with 2606 viewsVeggie

Tommy Smith the first New Zealand international?
First international to play in this country on 22:25 - Apr 20 with 2588 viewsBlueBadger

I'd like to say that Robert Earnshaw was the first martian to play for Norwich, but....

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

First international to play in this country on 22:59 - Apr 20 with 2537 viewsParisBlue

First international to play in this country on 22:20 - Apr 20 by Veggie

a few before him, Ryan Nelson, Rory Fallon!
[Post edited 20 Apr 2022 22:59]

Libraries gave us power

First international to play in this country on 23:13 - Apr 20 with 2513 viewsPhilTWTD

Earl Jean, first St Lucian?
Vlado Bosinoski, first Macedonian-Australian?
First international to play in this country on 23:59 - Apr 20 with 2473 viewsRocky

"Did Colin Viljoen have South African nationality as well as English (and was he preceded by another)?"

Viljoen was capped twice for England under Don Revie - I don't think "Willowen" - as Bobby Robson always corrected pronounced his name - ever played for South Africa. There were several earlier South African players before him - notably Stuart Leary of Charlton Athletic who also was a leading cricketer for Kent and who sadly took his life many years later on Table Mountain.
First international to play in this country on 00:22 - Apr 21 with 2446 viewszondervan

Mark Venus......he played out of this world
Login to get fewer ads

First international to play in this country on 00:24 - Apr 21 with 2437 viewsParisBlue

First international to play in this country on 23:13 - Apr 20 by PhilTWTD

Earl Jean, first St Lucian?
Vlado Bosinoski, first Macedonian-Australian?

If we're playing the half and half game, first Spanish-Australian. Andy Bernal. He had a book out last year.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Riding-Shotgun-Autobiography-Original-Wizard/dp/1925914

Bersant Celina made one league appearance for Man City before his first loan. First Kosovan maybe?

Libraries gave us power

First international to play in this country on 00:25 - Apr 21 with 2439 viewsBLUEBEAT

British people born in Singapore are not viable for Singaporean nationality.

I did enquire as born there too - and a Lowestoft lad!

Poll: W or W

First international to play in this country on 13:38 - Apr 21 with 2171 viewsNthsuffolkblue

First international to play in this country on 22:20 - Apr 20 by Veggie

No, Rory Fallon preceded him.

First international to play in this country on 13:39 - Apr 21 with 2159 viewsNthsuffolkblue

First international to play in this country on 23:59 - Apr 20 by Rocky

"Did Colin Viljoen have South African nationality as well as English (and was he preceded by another)?"

Viljoen was capped twice for England under Don Revie - I don't think "Willowen" - as Bobby Robson always corrected pronounced his name - ever played for South Africa. There were several earlier South African players before him - notably Stuart Leary of Charlton Athletic who also was a leading cricketer for Kent and who sadly took his life many years later on Table Mountain.

Yes, I wasn't meaning international in the sense they had represented their country but rather of that nationality.

First international to play in this country on 13:40 - Apr 21 with 2156 viewsSuperblue95

Reggie Lambe first Bermudan?

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

First international to play in this country on 13:48 - Apr 21 with 2133 viewsNthsuffolkblue

First international to play in this country on 13:40 - Apr 21 by Superblue95

Reggie Lambe first Bermudan?

Shaun Goater.

First international to play in this country on 19:07 - Apr 21 with 2033 viewsTangledupin_Blue

OP mentions Sergei as first from USSR. Must also count as the first Ukrainian.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

First international to play in this country on 19:32 - Apr 21 with 2008 viewsPhilTWTD

Steve Stacey, as well as being Town's first black player, was the first African-American to play professional football in the UK, although he was with clubs before he was with us.

This post has been edited by an administrator
First international to play in this country on 19:35 - Apr 21 with 1993 viewsPhilTWTD

How about Edwin Dutton? First Germany international to coach a side in England? Not sure whether that's the case but must be a decent chance he was.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Dutton
First international to play in this country on 21:47 - Apr 21 with 1891 viewsRadlett_blue

First international to play in this country on 13:48 - Apr 21 by Nthsuffolkblue

Shaun Goater.

Clyde Best, West Ham, 1968-78.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

First international to play in this country on 22:02 - Apr 21 with 1862 viewsTangledupin_Blue

First international to play in this country on 19:35 - Apr 21 by PhilTWTD

How about Edwin Dutton? First Germany international to coach a side in England? Not sure whether that's the case but must be a decent chance he was.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Dutton

Sammy Chung, though born in England, had a Chinese father so would have been eligible to play for China. I wonder whether he would be the first coach so qualified...

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

First international to play in this country on 22:07 - Apr 21 with 1846 viewsNthsuffolkblue

First international to play in this country on 22:02 - Apr 21 by Tangledupin_Blue

Sammy Chung, though born in England, had a Chinese father so would have been eligible to play for China. I wonder whether he would be the first coach so qualified...

According to Wiki he worked with McGarry at Watford before joining us anyway.

First international to play in this country on 22:35 - Apr 21 with 1800 viewsRadlett_blue

First international to play in this country on 22:07 - Apr 21 by Nthsuffolkblue

According to Wiki he worked with McGarry at Watford before joining us anyway.

Chung also spent 5 years as assistant to Mick Mills at Stoke.
Frank Soo, who was born in Liverpool to Chinese parents, was the first English footballer of Chinese origin, playing for Stoke & Luton. He coached a variety of clubs, including managing Scunthorpe in 1959-60.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

First international to play in this country on 23:25 - Apr 21 with 1768 viewshollywoodginge

First international to play in this country on 13:39 - Apr 21 by Nthsuffolkblue

Yes, I wasn't meaning international in the sense they had represented their country but rather of that nationality.

That being the case, Lee Norfolk was from New Zealand and Neil Gregory was born in Zambia

Ipswich til I Die

First international to play in this country on 23:44 - Apr 21 with 1751 viewsmarchy

I think Barnsley's Hristov in the play-off final was Macedonian...
First international to play in this country on 14:18 - Apr 22 with 1626 viewsoldburian

First international to play in this country on 22:02 - Apr 21 by Tangledupin_Blue

He is disqualified, played for Norwich.
First international to play in this country on 14:19 - Apr 22 with 1624 viewsKieran_Knows

Is Baggott the first player we've had play for their country first before making their first team debut?

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024