Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Champions of England 1962 07:15 - Apr 28 with 2593 viewsITFC_nostalgia

60 years ago today Ipswich Town were crowned Champions of England. I'd love to hear hear memories of those that were there, either at the game or at the celebrations that followed.

We've put up a post this morning and will add further photos of the match and celebrations through the day.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cc4kvK0oYiW/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

You can see our back catalogue of games and players from that season here
https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/championsofengland1962/
Champions of England 1962 on 07:22 - Apr 28 with 2547 viewsfooters

I know 'cos I was there. by PJH 28 Apr 2021 8:33
I do not think that Max Boyce, who loved that phrase, was at Portman Road on April 28th 1962 but I was.
On that day Ipswich Town became Champions of England and I know 'cos I was there.

I have made posts on this date for the last four or maybe five years commemorating that day and the months that preceded it so please indulge me as I again post my reminisces (fact checked where possible). This year is particularly poignant for me because my mum, one of the people that was with me that day, passed away in February, my dad having passed away in 2013.

In those days before substitutes each club basically had a first team and that team played if fit. I could just as easily name the Burnley or Spurs first team from that era as the Ipswich one.
Normally if a first team player got injured and had to miss a game or games he was replaced by a reserve and he was straight back in when fit although in one case that did not happen in 1961/62 at Ipswich.
Also if a player lost form he generally played on and on until he regained form although I suppose players did get dropped from time to time.
Short of having a leg broken a player injured during a game usually stayed on the pitch and went out wide so that even if he was more or less static he could still kick the ball if it came in his direction.

Bailey, Carberry, Compton, Baxter, Nelson, Elsworthy, Stephenson, Moran, Crawford, Phillips, Leadbetter-eleven names that Ipswich followers from that era should real off automatically.
They all played at least 37 of the 42 League games and all except Moran, Compton and to a lesser extent Baxter, made up the 2nd Division winning team from the previous season.
Bailey, Carberry, Elsworthy, Phillips and Leadbetter were also in the team that won the 3rd Division (South) in 1956/57.

Douglas Moran was the only new signing in the summer of 1961 and he became the inside-right.
John Compton came into the 1961/62 side after the third game when first team left-back Kenny Malcolm got injured and he kept his place for the rest of the season although Malcolm regained fitness and played 17 games for the Reserves. Alf Ramsey obviously made a conscious decision at some point not to bring back his 'first team' fullback.
Billy Baxter got into the side in December 1960 and played all of the last 19 games of that season so by the end of 1960/61 he was becoming an established first team player. He was doing National Service in those two seasons and I believe that I am right in saying that he had to get his Commanding Officer's permission to play before each and every ITFC game.

Crawford and Phillips were a great goalscoring partnership and they scored 61 of the 93 League goals between them in 1961/62 having scored 70 of 100 the previous season. They were goalscorers in their own right with Phillips having scored 41 goals in 41 games in the 3rd Division in 1956/57 and Crawford scoring over 60 goals in his second spell at PR with Phillips no longer around.
They were different though with Crawford getting a lot of goals from rebounds from Phillips' thunderous shots coming back off the keeper or the woodwork. Both were good in the air but Phillips was lethal from anywhere from thirty yards inwards because of the power of his shooting. He was also the penalty taker and not many goalkeepers tried too hard to get in the way of one of his penalties.

Although based on the goalscoring of those two the tactical genius of Alf Ramsey played a huge part in us winning the title. Wingers were normally quick and they would be expected to beat their fullback and get to the byeline and cross but Alf played Leadbetter and to a lesser extent, Stephenson much deeper and they crossed or passed from areas that wingers did not normally do back then.
The opposing fullbacks had a problem as to whether to move forward to where Stephenson and Leadbetter were playing from and leave gaps behind them or to stay in their conventional place and await a winger that might never arrive.

It took all other teams that season to work out how to combat that tactic but Bill Nicholson at Spurs had his winghalfs marking Stephenson and Leadbetter and his fullbacks marking our inside forwards in the Charity Shield game at PR in August 1962 and Spur swon 5-1 but Ipswich losing Carberry to injury did not help.

Apart from the Charity Shield game that actual title winning team did not play together again until a win at Birmingham in April 1963, a game that I was also at.

So we are now at April 28th 1962 and ITFC go into their last game of the season against Aston Villa with a two point lead over Burnley but with 2 points for a win and Burnley having 2 games to play and a better goal average even a win would not guarantee the title.
The official attendance figure that day was 28932, it was NOT all ticket.
It took until the 72nd minute for us to score, Ray Crawford scoring with a diving header after John Elsworthy had headed a Stephenson freekick against the bar.
Crawford got a second goal four minutes later although that goal does not appear on the film that I have seen of that day, it is in my head though!

We then had to wait for the Burnley result and we eventually heard that they had drawn 1-1 at home to already relegated Chelsea so they could no longer catch us and WE were Champions. Burnley also lost their last game but that was irrelevant.
On hearing the result there were pitch invasions and the players were hoisted onto shoulders.

I have not started rambling about other memories from that season but will leave it there apart from mentioning three things that I always associate with those times.

Firstly, the team running onto the pitch to the tune 'Entry Of The Gladiators'.

Secondly, the crowd singing 'Keep Right On To The End Of The Road' which was and is a Birmingham City song and I have no idea when ITFC supporters adopted it or finished using.

Thirdly, Ipswich bus conductor Swede Herring going round the pitch pumping up the supporters 'One, Two, Three, Four , Who are we for, I-P-(you know the rest)

On April 28th 1962 Ipswich Town became Champions Of England and I know 'cos I was there.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Champions of England 1962 on 07:29 - Apr 28 with 2529 viewsPJH

Champions of England 1962 on 07:22 - Apr 28 by footers

I know 'cos I was there. by PJH 28 Apr 2021 8:33
I do not think that Max Boyce, who loved that phrase, was at Portman Road on April 28th 1962 but I was.
On that day Ipswich Town became Champions of England and I know 'cos I was there.

I have made posts on this date for the last four or maybe five years commemorating that day and the months that preceded it so please indulge me as I again post my reminisces (fact checked where possible). This year is particularly poignant for me because my mum, one of the people that was with me that day, passed away in February, my dad having passed away in 2013.

In those days before substitutes each club basically had a first team and that team played if fit. I could just as easily name the Burnley or Spurs first team from that era as the Ipswich one.
Normally if a first team player got injured and had to miss a game or games he was replaced by a reserve and he was straight back in when fit although in one case that did not happen in 1961/62 at Ipswich.
Also if a player lost form he generally played on and on until he regained form although I suppose players did get dropped from time to time.
Short of having a leg broken a player injured during a game usually stayed on the pitch and went out wide so that even if he was more or less static he could still kick the ball if it came in his direction.

Bailey, Carberry, Compton, Baxter, Nelson, Elsworthy, Stephenson, Moran, Crawford, Phillips, Leadbetter-eleven names that Ipswich followers from that era should real off automatically.
They all played at least 37 of the 42 League games and all except Moran, Compton and to a lesser extent Baxter, made up the 2nd Division winning team from the previous season.
Bailey, Carberry, Elsworthy, Phillips and Leadbetter were also in the team that won the 3rd Division (South) in 1956/57.

Douglas Moran was the only new signing in the summer of 1961 and he became the inside-right.
John Compton came into the 1961/62 side after the third game when first team left-back Kenny Malcolm got injured and he kept his place for the rest of the season although Malcolm regained fitness and played 17 games for the Reserves. Alf Ramsey obviously made a conscious decision at some point not to bring back his 'first team' fullback.
Billy Baxter got into the side in December 1960 and played all of the last 19 games of that season so by the end of 1960/61 he was becoming an established first team player. He was doing National Service in those two seasons and I believe that I am right in saying that he had to get his Commanding Officer's permission to play before each and every ITFC game.

Crawford and Phillips were a great goalscoring partnership and they scored 61 of the 93 League goals between them in 1961/62 having scored 70 of 100 the previous season. They were goalscorers in their own right with Phillips having scored 41 goals in 41 games in the 3rd Division in 1956/57 and Crawford scoring over 60 goals in his second spell at PR with Phillips no longer around.
They were different though with Crawford getting a lot of goals from rebounds from Phillips' thunderous shots coming back off the keeper or the woodwork. Both were good in the air but Phillips was lethal from anywhere from thirty yards inwards because of the power of his shooting. He was also the penalty taker and not many goalkeepers tried too hard to get in the way of one of his penalties.

Although based on the goalscoring of those two the tactical genius of Alf Ramsey played a huge part in us winning the title. Wingers were normally quick and they would be expected to beat their fullback and get to the byeline and cross but Alf played Leadbetter and to a lesser extent, Stephenson much deeper and they crossed or passed from areas that wingers did not normally do back then.
The opposing fullbacks had a problem as to whether to move forward to where Stephenson and Leadbetter were playing from and leave gaps behind them or to stay in their conventional place and await a winger that might never arrive.

It took all other teams that season to work out how to combat that tactic but Bill Nicholson at Spurs had his winghalfs marking Stephenson and Leadbetter and his fullbacks marking our inside forwards in the Charity Shield game at PR in August 1962 and Spur swon 5-1 but Ipswich losing Carberry to injury did not help.

Apart from the Charity Shield game that actual title winning team did not play together again until a win at Birmingham in April 1963, a game that I was also at.

So we are now at April 28th 1962 and ITFC go into their last game of the season against Aston Villa with a two point lead over Burnley but with 2 points for a win and Burnley having 2 games to play and a better goal average even a win would not guarantee the title.
The official attendance figure that day was 28932, it was NOT all ticket.
It took until the 72nd minute for us to score, Ray Crawford scoring with a diving header after John Elsworthy had headed a Stephenson freekick against the bar.
Crawford got a second goal four minutes later although that goal does not appear on the film that I have seen of that day, it is in my head though!

We then had to wait for the Burnley result and we eventually heard that they had drawn 1-1 at home to already relegated Chelsea so they could no longer catch us and WE were Champions. Burnley also lost their last game but that was irrelevant.
On hearing the result there were pitch invasions and the players were hoisted onto shoulders.

I have not started rambling about other memories from that season but will leave it there apart from mentioning three things that I always associate with those times.

Firstly, the team running onto the pitch to the tune 'Entry Of The Gladiators'.

Secondly, the crowd singing 'Keep Right On To The End Of The Road' which was and is a Birmingham City song and I have no idea when ITFC supporters adopted it or finished using.

Thirdly, Ipswich bus conductor Swede Herring going round the pitch pumping up the supporters 'One, Two, Three, Four , Who are we for, I-P-(you know the rest)

On April 28th 1962 Ipswich Town became Champions Of England and I know 'cos I was there.

Thanks for linking that. My contribution today is much briefer and may go unnoticed.
Maybe I will do a full version again next year.
Champions of England 1962 on 07:59 - Apr 28 with 2478 viewsoldburian

Unfortunately I was in my front room with Grandstand on recovering from bronchitis and pleurisy! Gave my dear old dog the fright of her life when it came we had scored our second and Chelsea, relegated that year, were winning at Burnley.
Champions of England 1962 on 08:35 - Apr 28 with 2429 viewssolemio

I had a friend who would back the assertion about Ted's penalties. He was in goal for Harwich and Parkeston in a pre-season friendly against ITFC. Ted took a penalty which my friend swears he never saw and it broke the net.

Sir Alf always said that TP kicked a football harder than any other player he ever saw.

If I can't get to sleep at night that 61-62 team is the first I say silently to myself. It does help!
Champions of England 1962 on 08:57 - Apr 28 with 2396 viewsBeattie78

I was there two weeks short of my 12th birthday. It was the first game I had attended on my own. I can't remember why my Dad didn't go but I was determined to be there. I managed to get a place against the West Stand wall roughly opposite the Churchman's penalty spot so had a great view of both goals. Can't recall anything else about the match though. I do remember pushing my way through the crowd afterwards to see Sir Alf being interviewed in front of the dressing room.

LexdenBlue62

Champions of England 1962 on 09:09 - Apr 28 with 2380 viewsBlueandTruesince82

I was nor there as I was not born but happy Champions of England day to al TWTDers

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Champions of England 1962 on 09:47 - Apr 28 with 2336 viewsBloomBlue

I was there with my granddad and dad, I remember my granddad getting emotional at the end of the game. Never seen him get emotional before but he had always believed Town would do it. My Dad said remember this, it will be the first of many.... He got that wrong but Sir Alf was his hero and after he moved to England Dad said 'we've just lost the greatest manager ever not sure we'll ever win the league again'.. he got that correct

My main memory of that day is walking to the ground and just knowing we were going to win the league, no thoughts of it not happening irrelevant of Burnley results after all we had Crawford and Leadbetter. Running onto the pitch after the game losing sight of Dad & Granddad but nobody cared we had won the league after all.

Although it wasn't just the that game it was the season which had built up and up and the belief with it.
Champions of England 1962 on 12:18 - Apr 28 with 2235 viewsChurchman

My dad was not at the final game due to the demands of a young family, including me. He did go to a good number of the games that season and rightly lauds it as the club’s greatest achievement. His favourite player was Ted Phillips with his hammer of a shot.

I’d love to have been there and it’s always great to hear from people who were. It was a fantastic achievement.
Login to get fewer ads

Champions of England 1962 on 18:25 - Apr 28 with 2073 viewsFrimleyBlue

Champions of England 1962 on 07:29 - Apr 28 by PJH

Thanks for linking that. My contribution today is much briefer and may go unnoticed.
Maybe I will do a full version again next year.

I appreciate PJH has me ignore. But if anyone could let him know that's a fantastic piece of historic overview for those who didn't have the luxury of enjoying such an occasion.

Would anyone be able to share what the expectation was of the club.. not those of town fans themselves but through out football, were we the big shock or were we slowly building towards this before that season?
[Post edited 28 Apr 2022 18:26]

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Champions of England 1962 on 18:47 - Apr 28 with 2058 viewsfarkenhell

Champions of England 1962 on 18:25 - Apr 28 by FrimleyBlue

I appreciate PJH has me ignore. But if anyone could let him know that's a fantastic piece of historic overview for those who didn't have the luxury of enjoying such an occasion.

Would anyone be able to share what the expectation was of the club.. not those of town fans themselves but through out football, were we the big shock or were we slowly building towards this before that season?

Message to PJH from FrimleyBlue:

"I appreciate PJH has me ignore. But if anyone could let him know that's a fantastic piece of historic overview for those who didn't have the luxury of enjoying such an occasion."
Champions of England 1962 on 18:51 - Apr 28 with 2044 viewsPJH

Champions of England 1962 on 18:25 - Apr 28 by FrimleyBlue

I don't have you on ignore and this is not the time to discuss the reason(s) for my limited use of TWTD.

Thank you for your comment regarding the post, that was actually the thread that I posted last April 28th, I have (I think) made posts concerning that season on every April 28th from 2016 onwards.

I think the national view of our chances prior to the start of the 1961/62 season was that we would do nothing other than come straight back down and I doubt if many other than Alf Ramsey and those within the club believed that to be wrong.

I was ten years old at the start of that season and I cannot recall my thoughts but as the season developed and we got and stayed close to the top then the belief that we could do it spread, not just locally but nationally.

Burnley had the title in their own hands right up to and including that last Saturday because if they had won then and also the game that they still had to play they would have won the league. They got to the F.A. Cup Final and weekends were not kept free for cup games after the third or maybe fourth round of the cup so they kept getting league games postponed.

I think at one point they were two or three points above us with two games in hand (2 pts for a win) so they really did throw the league away.

Whichever way it is looked at, we finished top.
Champions of England 1962 on 19:46 - Apr 28 with 1999 viewsFrimleyBlue

Champions of England 1962 on 18:51 - Apr 28 by PJH

I don't have you on ignore and this is not the time to discuss the reason(s) for my limited use of TWTD.

Thank you for your comment regarding the post, that was actually the thread that I posted last April 28th, I have (I think) made posts concerning that season on every April 28th from 2016 onwards.

I think the national view of our chances prior to the start of the 1961/62 season was that we would do nothing other than come straight back down and I doubt if many other than Alf Ramsey and those within the club believed that to be wrong.

I was ten years old at the start of that season and I cannot recall my thoughts but as the season developed and we got and stayed close to the top then the belief that we could do it spread, not just locally but nationally.

Burnley had the title in their own hands right up to and including that last Saturday because if they had won then and also the game that they still had to play they would have won the league. They got to the F.A. Cup Final and weekends were not kept free for cup games after the third or maybe fourth round of the cup so they kept getting league games postponed.

I think at one point they were two or three points above us with two games in hand (2 pts for a win) so they really did throw the league away.

What an amazing season that must have been. Especially that period of waiting for Burnley results in those game in hand, it's hard to imagine a world without social media with what it's become, but pub meets must have been brilliant. I think that's the biggest thing missing from football nowadays is that most of the talk is already done before you meet up with friends.

Incredibly envious of all of you who lived through those years. For me the Burley years were amazing but really don't even touch the sides to what you witnessed.

Thanks for the overview. If you have any others or interview based around those years and Sir Bobby's, I'd appreciate seeing them.

I'll leave the thread here as don't want to overflow it. But thank you.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2022 19:58]

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Champions of England 1962 on 19:57 - Apr 28 with 1997 viewsOldsmoker

My first season at PR was 66/67.
I got to read all the programmes that my brother brought home during the 61/62 season. I used to read them cover to cover, over and over again.
They had a league table and that showed the ascent to the top.
Being too young to attend matches I became a stats geek and still am.

I'm very proud and possessive of my SIr Alf Avatar. I hope my posts never let the great man down.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Champions of England 1962 on 22:14 - Apr 28 with 1919 viewsbluebudgie

Champions of England 1962 on 08:00 - Apr 29 with 1809 viewssolemio

Champions of England 1962 on 09:09 - Apr 28 by BlueandTruesince82

I was nor there as I was not born but happy Champions of England day to al TWTDers

That's a pathetic excuse for your absence!
Champions of England 1962 on 08:46 - Apr 29 with 1791 viewsLeaky

I remember it well I was in Huntingdon Hospital with a fractured pelvis having been knocked off my bike by a car. Fortunately the kids ward at that time had a tv so did enjoy watching it.
Champions of England 1962 on 08:49 - Apr 29 with 1786 viewsElephantintheRoom

Champions of England 1962 on 18:51 - Apr 28 by PJH

I’m not sure Burnley threw it away. They like Spurs had the FA Cup to contend with in an era when the FA Cup was possibly seen as more important than the league. Unlike Spurs they were in the grim north and Burnley took more than its fair share of grim weather in the early 60s which must have made their extra games far more debilitating. The fact is Burnley won just one of their last ten league games - and also lost the cup final.

I was only eight at the time and vaguely remember hoping Town could stay up. I felt much the same a few years later when Town popped back up under McGarry - when the media attention was far more on fellow promotion team ‘Rodney Marsh’s QPR’ - who promptly got relegated.

On the subject of Ted Phillips penalties - which goalies were allegedly advised not to save - I think the last one might have been in Ray Crawford’s testimonial? Not the most successful of his efforts if memory serves - though the script was followed in the retake

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Champions of England 1962 on 10:33 - Apr 29 with 1686 viewsSTYG

Champions of England 1962 on 08:49 - Apr 29 by ElephantintheRoom

I’m not sure Burnley threw it away. They like Spurs had the FA Cup to contend with in an era when the FA Cup was possibly seen as more important than the league. Unlike Spurs they were in the grim north and Burnley took more than its fair share of grim weather in the early 60s which must have made their extra games far more debilitating. The fact is Burnley won just one of their last ten league games - and also lost the cup final.

I was only eight at the time and vaguely remember hoping Town could stay up. I felt much the same a few years later when Town popped back up under McGarry - when the media attention was far more on fellow promotion team ‘Rodney Marsh’s QPR’ - who promptly got relegated.

On the subject of Ted Phillips penalties - which goalies were allegedly advised not to save - I think the last one might have been in Ray Crawford’s testimonial? Not the most successful of his efforts if memory serves - though the script was followed in the retake

You're 68? I genuinely had you down as 50 years younger.

To set up a username like yours which screams committed to creating controversy and then following it through so relentlessly with a negative spin on everything was, I assumed, was not the act of a pensioner.

I'll forever associate you now with Victor Meldrew in my mind now. Although he was a lot more optimistic and cheery.
Champions of England 1962 on 14:08 - Apr 29 with 1590 viewsoldburian

Champions of England 1962 on 08:49 - Apr 29 by ElephantintheRoom

Allegedly, if the result was obvious, the Sheffield Wednesday players would give a penalty away. Ron would then go to Ted and tell him which way he was diving!
The game was different in those days.
Champions of England 1962 on 18:38 - Apr 29 with 1499 viewsElephantintheRoom

Champions of England 1962 on 10:33 - Apr 29 by STYG

You're 68? I genuinely had you down as 50 years younger.

To set up a username like yours which screams committed to creating controversy and then following it through so relentlessly with a negative spin on everything was, I assumed, was not the act of a pensioner.

I'll forever associate you now with Victor Meldrew in my mind now. Although he was a lot more optimistic and cheery.

Your mum allows you to use a computer in your pram?

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024