Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So, these American sweet shops taking over Oxford Street 11:36 - Jun 23 with 1280 viewsLord_Lucan

What's it all about?

Something doesn't ring true, is it some money laundering thing?

nothing is priced up and they are usually empty - the cost of setting them up and the rent would be crippling.

What's going on????

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

So, these American sweet shops taking over Oxford Street on 11:38 - Jun 23 with 1243 viewsIllinoisblue

A scam to avoid taxes but that’s surely not the whole story

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/london-news-american-candy-shops-oxford-s

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

So, these American sweet shops taking over Oxford Street on 11:40 - Jun 23 with 1236 viewswrightsrightglove

Money laundering, think there’s a lot of evidence so no idea how it’s allowed to happen. Companies earning exactly the same amount of money year on year, or companies lasting for just under a year before being dissolved and set up under a new name.
So, these American sweet shops taking over Oxford Street on 11:42 - Jun 23 with 1219 viewsLord_Lucan

So, these American sweet shops taking over Oxford Street on 11:38 - Jun 23 by Illinoisblue

A scam to avoid taxes but that’s surely not the whole story

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/london-news-american-candy-shops-oxford-s

Yeah, Steve Allen was talking about this rates thing but it completely doesn't make any sense.

No sense whatsoever.

Why would you open 30 stores in the most expensive street in the UK and just knock the rates???

It has to be money laundering, surely??

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

So, these American sweet shops taking over Oxford Street on 11:44 - Jun 23 with 1211 viewsGlasgowBlue

I would imagine that they will trade for 18 months, run up massive debts with HMRC ETC, pay a tame liquidator a few grand to close the business and then open again in a week or so under a slightly different name.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

So, these American sweet shops taking over Oxford Street on 11:44 - Jun 23 with 1210 viewshype313

So, these American sweet shops taking over Oxford Street on 11:42 - Jun 23 by Lord_Lucan

Yeah, Steve Allen was talking about this rates thing but it completely doesn't make any sense.

No sense whatsoever.

Why would you open 30 stores in the most expensive street in the UK and just knock the rates???

Same thing with Turkish Barbers, there's one on Woodbridge Rd and I have never seen anyone in there, despite the fact that most long standing barbers have a 3-4 week waiting list.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

So, these American sweet shops taking over Oxford Street on 11:46 - Jun 23 with 1193 viewsPrideOfTheEast

They appeared from nowhere during lockdown and are now bl00dy everywhere. Said at the time that it didn't make any sense and they can't be making any money.
So, these American sweet shops taking over Oxford Street on 11:47 - Jun 23 with 1189 viewsIllinoisblue

So, these American sweet shops taking over Oxford Street on 11:42 - Jun 23 by Lord_Lucan

No sense whatsoever.

Talking of scams in London what happened to those “auction” shops where you’d have a couple of dodgy blokes luring in tourists with promises of great deals. But i think the goods were always covered up so you were probably buying either an empty box or some knock-off rubbish.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

So, these American sweet shops taking over Oxford Street on 11:50 - Jun 23 with 1138 viewsLord_Lucan

So, these American sweet shops taking over Oxford Street on 11:44 - Jun 23 by GlasgowBlue

I would imagine that they will trade for 18 months, run up massive debts with HMRC ETC, pay a tame liquidator a few grand to close the business and then open again in a week or so under a slightly different name.

Still doesn't make sense

They seem to actively discourage business.

Login to get fewer ads

So, these American sweet shops taking over Oxford Street on 12:02 - Jun 23 with 1080 viewsSTYG

So, these American sweet shops taking over Oxford Street on 11:44 - Jun 23 by hype313

Same thing with Turkish Barbers, there's one on Woodbridge Rd and I have never seen anyone in there, despite the fact that most long standing barbers have a 3-4 week waiting list.

There are a number of takeaways which I am aware of, which I won't name, that have been going for a considerable number of years, despite having one or two customers a day by the looks of it. All the people that work there have very expensive and new cars and lovely watches and jewellery.

They must be millionaires that really wanted to spend their time sweating next to a giant lump of lamb and they just finances all the losses to live that dream.
So, these American sweet shops taking over Oxford Street on 12:04 - Jun 23 with 1062 viewsLord_Lucan

So, these American sweet shops taking over Oxford Street on 12:02 - Jun 23 by STYG

There are a number of takeaways which I am aware of, which I won't name, that have been going for a considerable number of years, despite having one or two customers a day by the looks of it. All the people that work there have very expensive and new cars and lovely watches and jewellery.

They must be millionaires that really wanted to spend their time sweating next to a giant lump of lamb and they just finances all the losses to live that dream.

Here's the thing though

I quite admire the obvious laundering operations like car washes, barbers, chicken shops etc - but the American sweet thing doesn't sit well with me for some reason.

So, these American sweet shops taking over Oxford Street on 12:07 - Jun 23 with 1029 viewswaveneyblue

Its convenience stores in Lowestoft -

In one particular area (Bevan Street) there are 4 within 500 metres of each other.

All legitimate businesses - obviously
So, these American sweet shops taking over Oxford Street on 12:08 - Jun 23 with 1019 viewsSteve_M

So, these American sweet shops taking over Oxford Street on 11:44 - Jun 23 by GlasgowBlue

Yes, pretty much that. Private Eye has been on this for a while.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

So, these American sweet shops taking over Oxford Street on 12:10 - Jun 23 with 999 viewsSTYG

So, these American sweet shops taking over Oxford Street on 12:04 - Jun 23 by Lord_Lucan

Here's the thing though

I quite admire the obvious laundering operations like car washes, barbers, chicken shops etc - but the American sweet thing doesn't sit well with me for some reason.

Wasn't there an Indian Restaurant on Crown Street that never had any customers and it ended up that the entire top floor (and subsequent lighting) was part of a cannabis farm or did I imagine that?
So, these American sweet shops taking over Oxford Street on 12:11 - Jun 23 with 997 viewsKingsCrossBlue

So, these American sweet shops taking over Oxford Street on 12:04 - Jun 23 by Lord_Lucan

Here's the thing though

I was reading an article on this the other day - here it is.... https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jun/17/oxford-street-us-candy-stores

Essentially, the landlord is exempt from business rates if they turn a blind eye to opening a shop selling counterfeit sweets to kids
So, these American sweet shops taking over Oxford Street on 12:12 - Jun 23 with 992 viewsSTYG

So, these American sweet shops taking over Oxford Street on 12:07 - Jun 23 by waveneyblue

Its convenience stores in Lowestoft -

In one particular area (Bevan Street) there are 4 within 500 metres of each other.

All legitimate businesses - obviously

It's the amount of staff that gets me.

When you've got more people working in a kebab shop that's dead day after day than the whole of Tesco Martlesham have.
So, these American sweet shops taking over Oxford Street on 12:38 - Jun 23 with 885 viewsElephantintheRoom

It’s the new Aberdeen Angus Steakhouse

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

So, these American sweet shops taking over Oxford Street on 13:17 - Jun 23 with 770 viewsElderGrizzly

They are counterfeit goods too in there. There was a big seizure of goods last week

https://inews.co.uk/news/american-candy-shops-500k-fake-wonka-bars-vapes-seized-
So, these American sweet shops taking over Oxford Street on 13:46 - Jun 23 with 663 viewsBig_Jase

So, these American sweet shops taking over Oxford Street on 11:44 - Jun 23 by hype313

3-4 week waiting list for a haircut at a barbers?

I've never been to a barbers thats not a walk in, the Turkish on Tacket Street is fantastic.

Poll: Who would actually care if Norwich responded with a plane banner?

So, these American sweet shops taking over Oxford Street on 13:46 - Jun 23 with 662 viewsGlasgowBlue

So, these American sweet shops taking over Oxford Street on 13:17 - Jun 23 by ElderGrizzly

They are counterfeit goods too in there. There was a big seizure of goods last week

https://inews.co.uk/news/american-candy-shops-500k-fake-wonka-bars-vapes-seized-

Talking of counterfeit goods, I was amazed to see a shop in a big shopping centre selling fake Gucci and Louis Vuttion handbags.

I get that fly pitchers will get away with this at a market but surely not shops that are open all year round.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024