Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Zak Crawley 16:10 - Jun 26 with 2046 viewsZx1988

Why?!

The absolute definition of a walking wicket.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Zak Crawley on 16:19 - Jun 26 with 1704 viewsSaleAway

this has to be his last test. Just not good enough. His uncertainty caused that run out too.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Zak Crawley on 16:23 - Jun 26 with 1692 viewsZx1988

Zak Crawley on 16:19 - Jun 26 by SaleAway

this has to be his last test. Just not good enough. His uncertainty caused that run out too.

If he's going down, he's taking everyone else with him.

Zak Crawley on 16:29 - Jun 26 with 1671 viewsChrisd

Zak Crawley on 16:23 - Jun 26 by Zx1988

If he's going down, he's taking everyone else with him.

Lees and Crawley should’ve seen if the ball had beaten the field before deciding on the run. It’s a game of inches, because that shot was terrific for none.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Zak Crawley on 16:30 - Jun 26 with 1667 viewsZx1988

Zak Crawley on 16:29 - Jun 26 by Chrisd

Lees and Crawley should’ve seen if the ball had beaten the field before deciding on the run. It’s a game of inches, because that shot was terrific for none.

Good shot, but Crawley should have been calling rather than just gazing at the ball.

I half wonder if he was baffled at not having edged it to slip for once.

Zak Crawley on 16:32 - Jun 26 with 1656 viewsChrisd

Zak Crawley on 16:30 - Jun 26 by Zx1988

Good shot, but Crawley should have been calling rather than just gazing at the ball.

I half wonder if he was baffled at not having edged it to slip for once.

Lees can call that too, but he’s backed up so much he’s too far down the wicket. Crawley’s playing some shots here, he’s not going down without a fight and good luck to the lad. Personally, I hope he gets a score because I do believe he’s good enough.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2022 16:34]

Zak Crawley on 16:36 - Jun 26 with 1610 viewsZx1988

Zak Crawley on 16:32 - Jun 26 by Chrisd

Lees can call that too, but he’s backed up so much he’s too far down the wicket. Crawley’s playing some shots here, he’s not going down without a fight and good luck to the lad. Personally, I hope he gets a score because I do believe he’s good enough.

I see your point, but with a ball played to (extra) cover, the batsman is always going to have the perfect view and should be able to make an early call, even if it's just "wait on".

Zak Crawley on 16:39 - Jun 26 with 1593 viewsChrisd

Zak Crawley on 16:36 - Jun 26 by Zx1988

I see your point, but with a ball played to (extra) cover, the batsman is always going to have the perfect view and should be able to make an early call, even if it's just "wait on".

Feel both should’ve waited to see if it went past the fielder. You can see why they both perhaps thought it got past him, Crawley timed it so well. Top fielding from Williamson though, credit where it’s due.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2022 16:40]

Zak Crawley on 16:50 - Jun 26 with 1549 viewsChrisd

That might be it now for him. Disappointing end.

Login to get fewer ads

Zak Crawley on 16:50 - Jun 26 with 1549 viewsSaleAway

He really isn't good enough. That shot was a disgrace.

Zak Crawley on 16:51 - Jun 26 with 1545 viewsgordon

Really hard to make case that he's good enough tbh, his county cricket record is actually only a bit better that his test record, which is very poor.
Zak Crawley on 16:53 - Jun 26 with 1539 viewsZx1988

Zak Crawley on 16:50 - Jun 26 by SaleAway

Did exactly what NZ were inviting him to do. Not good enough for, supposedly, one of England's best batters.

Even if he's capable of getting a respectable score now and then, his consistency is nowhere near good enough. The number of times Root finds himself coming in at a double-digit score is a joke.

Zak Crawley on 16:53 - Jun 26 with 1538 viewsChrisd

Zak Crawley on 16:50 - Jun 26 by SaleAway

The previous shots show he is. The shot he got out to was naive though, but good captaincy by Williamson. Perhaps it is time for him to go back to the county game and score some runs to build some confidence. It will be interesting to see what the selection is for the India test on Friday.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2022 16:55]

Zak Crawley on 16:54 - Jun 26 with 1537 viewsZx1988

Zak Crawley on 16:51 - Jun 26 by gordon

Really hard to make case that he's good enough tbh, his county cricket record is actually only a bit better that his test record, which is very poor.

If his father wasn't a multi-millionaire big cheese at Kent, he'd have been waved goodbye long ago.

Zak Crawley on 16:54 - Jun 26 with 1532 viewsChrisd

Zak Crawley on 16:51 - Jun 26 by gordon

Marcus Trescothick and Michael Vaughan’s first class records weren’t brilliant when they both got selected for England.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2022 16:56]

Zak Crawley on 16:58 - Jun 26 with 1496 viewsgordon

Zak Crawley on 16:54 - Jun 26 by Zx1988

If his father wasn't a multi-millionaire big cheese at Kent, he'd have been waved goodbye long ago.

It's Rob Key, basically - family friend and mentor
to Crawley since Crawley was young, and director of England cricket team - without Key's influence he'd never have been anywhere near the England team give his county record, and no way any other top order batter goes a so long averaging in the teens in the England without getting dropped.
Zak Crawley on 17:05 - Jun 26 with 1469 viewsgordon

Zak Crawley on 16:54 - Jun 26 by Chrisd

Marcus Trescothick and Michael Vaughan’s first class records weren’t brilliant when they both got selected for England.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2022 16:56]

Vaughan had 2 1,000 run summers in county cricket at +40 average, completely different to Crawley. Trescothick had a worse record, but still a fair bit better than Crawley.
Zak Crawley on 18:02 - Jun 26 with 1384 viewsChrisd

Zak Crawley on 17:05 - Jun 26 by gordon

Vaughan had 2 1,000 run summers in county cricket at +40 average, completely different to Crawley. Trescothick had a worse record, but still a fair bit better than Crawley.

This is a good read, if you have the time. Seems like having a consistent base at county level for a sustained 3 year period is the way to gain better international success.

In conclusion - ‘Vaughan (35 ave) and Trescothick (29 ave) had modest career records before their Test debuts.’ In comparison, Zak Crawley’s first class career average was 31 when he was first selected by England.

https://redballdata.blog/2019/08/16/mythbusting-vaughan-and-trescothick-were-sel
[Post edited 26 Jun 2022 18:22]

Zak Crawley on 20:58 - Jun 26 with 1178 viewsjas0999

He really is the weakest link at the moment.
Zak Crawley on 21:21 - Jun 26 with 1147 viewsPlums

This does a neat job of summing him up
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2022/jun/26/zak-crawley-should-be-a-perfe

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Zak Crawley on 08:01 - Jun 27 with 917 viewsGuthrum

Zak Crawley on 16:58 - Jun 26 by gordon

It's Rob Key, basically - family friend and mentor
to Crawley since Crawley was young, and director of England cricket team - without Key's influence he'd never have been anywhere near the England team give his county record, and no way any other top order batter goes a so long averaging in the teens in the England without getting dropped.

But also a lack of alternatives - who haven't already been tried and failed in their own ways, or are more useful further down the order (e.g. Bairstow).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Zak Crawley on 08:12 - Jun 27 with 904 viewsSaleAway

Zak Crawley on 08:01 - Jun 27 by Guthrum

But also a lack of alternatives - who haven't already been tried and failed in their own ways, or are more useful further down the order (e.g. Bairstow).

I give you Ben Compton.... played on the same early season pitches as Crawley, but did well.

Currently just short of 1000 first class runs for the season, at an average a tick under 100.

Opens. In form.

It doesn't get to be an easy selection than that.

Zak Crawley on 08:20 - Jun 27 with 892 viewsitfcjoe

Zak Crawley on 08:12 - Jun 27 by SaleAway

I give you Ben Compton.... played on the same early season pitches as Crawley, but did well.

Currently just short of 1000 first class runs for the season, at an average a tick under 100.

Opens. In form.

It doesn't get to be an easy selection than that.

Kumar Sangakarra was saying yuesterday we should open with Jos Buttler and give him a Matt Hayden/Virender Sehwag role - if going to have someone who attacks from the off it might as well be someone who is at least talented enough to do so as Crawley simply isn't.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Zak Crawley on 08:44 - Jun 27 with 853 viewsSaleAway

Zak Crawley on 08:20 - Jun 27 by itfcjoe

Kumar Sangakarra was saying yuesterday we should open with Jos Buttler and give him a Matt Hayden/Virender Sehwag role - if going to have someone who attacks from the off it might as well be someone who is at least talented enough to do so as Crawley simply isn't.

Much as I have a lot of respect for Kumar Sangakarra, I don't agree with him here. Pinch hitting openers don't really work in England in test cricket.

Sehwag's average in England was 27, he batted way below his career average ( and that is elevated by the 1 hundred he got on an absolute road at Trent Bridge ( where Vaughan hit 197).

Hayden was also massively below his career average at 34...

Our most successful openers have been those that take the safety first option. I don't even care if they don't score that many, but if they can at least bat through half to one session, our middle order can score runs.... the problem is if Pope and Root are always coming in in the 2nd or 3rd over.

Zak Crawley on 09:01 - Jun 27 with 822 viewsZx1988

Zak Crawley on 08:44 - Jun 27 by SaleAway

Much as I have a lot of respect for Kumar Sangakarra, I don't agree with him here. Pinch hitting openers don't really work in England in test cricket.

Sehwag's average in England was 27, he batted way below his career average ( and that is elevated by the 1 hundred he got on an absolute road at Trent Bridge ( where Vaughan hit 197).

Our most successful openers have been those that take the safety first option. I don't even care if they don't score that many, but if they can at least bat through half to one session, our middle order can score runs.... the problem is if Pope and Root are always coming in in the 2nd or 3rd over.

Would it work this summer, though, given the abysmal state of this year's Dukes ball?

From what I've seen/read, you just have to see out the first few overs and then help yourself.

Not to take anything away from Bairstow in particular, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the ball's toothlessness has played a part in some of the excellent performances by players who can get themselves in and then smash the ball to all corners with gay abandon.

Zak Crawley on 10:23 - Jun 27 with 760 viewsChrisd

Zak Crawley on 08:44 - Jun 27 by SaleAway

It’s ok when things are going well and we are winning test matches, but let’s see how they get on against India in their backyard on pitches where the ball turns square or against the Aussies when bowling with hostile pace. If we then keep getting skittled out then that’s when I can see the critics begin to question this gusto approach. I still feel we need to find a balance.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024