Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashton and the Owners 08:20 - Jun 29 with 8722 viewsChurchman

I was interested to read Mark Steed’s comments in the EADT. If Ashton is just a snake oil salesmen many people claim him to be, he’s not going to last long. I’ve a feeling the Americans are somewhat demanding to work for and are all over what’s happening with the club.

“I've told Mark (Ashton) that I’ll be impressed when we stop losing money and start winning games! Frankly, that’s how it works!" he declared, with Ashton sat to his right.

“We’ve got other opportunities to fund away from Ipswich, so when Mark comes to us he’s got to make a case.

“I have lots of emails from people who want to spend my money and very few want to come and talk about what they’ve done with the money we’ve already given them.

“To be up front about it, we have a saying in Arizona which says ‘don’t p1ss on my boot and tell me it’s raining’. We work with a lot of CEOs and they all have various ways of trying to hide things. We know all the tricks.

“Sometimes people see me and think ‘he should have more decorum, he’s a man of repute, he should behave himself’. I just don’t operate that way
Ashton and the Owners on 09:26 - Jun 30 with 774 viewsbobbyramsey

Ashton and the Owners on 09:00 - Jun 30 by Radlett_blue

If someone can explain to me how they "evaluate the risk" of spending a few years in the Championship & losing around £20m a season, I would be most interested.

I'm sure they'd be happy to explain.........
Ashton and the Owners on 11:44 - Jun 30 with 713 viewsBonneNIL

“I've told Mark (Ashton) that I’ll be impressed when we stop losing money and start winning games! Frankly, that’s how it works!" he declared, with Ashton sat to his right.

That's exactly what our attitude should be as supporters, I don't understand why we are celebrating this bloke when so far he's managed an 11th place finish and lost a ton of money doing it. I couldn't care two monkeys about undersoil heating, PA's or dugouts, community stuff is nice but none of it wins football matches either.

“I have lots of emails from people who want to spend my money and very few want to come and talk about what they’ve done with the money we’ve already given them."

Very little so far, sounds like they are not overwhelmed with the results so far, and rightly so, none of us should be. We need to demand better.

Poll: Best Adidas Home Shirt of the Modern Era

Ashton and the Owners on 11:58 - Jun 30 with 706 viewsChurchman

Ashton and the Owners on 11:44 - Jun 30 by BonneNIL

That's exactly what our attitude should be as supporters, I don't understand why we are celebrating this bloke when so far he's managed an 11th place finish and lost a ton of money doing it. I couldn't care two monkeys about undersoil heating, PA's or dugouts, community stuff is nice but none of it wins football matches either.

“I have lots of emails from people who want to spend my money and very few want to come and talk about what they’ve done with the money we’ve already given them."

Very little so far, sounds like they are not overwhelmed with the results so far, and rightly so, none of us should be. We need to demand better.

Nobody is celebrating the bloke or that we are still stuck in the L1 pit. He is CEO. What exactly has he done wrong so far? What could he have done better in the 13 months he’s been here? Who would you prefer to run the club? Clegg maybe?

To not have any interest in how the football club interacts with the community or it’s facilities and infrastructure, it’s development and communication with its supporters was exactly Evans’ approach. Please tell me where that got us?

If KM fails this season, you will have a point but it won’t need to be made, because both he and MA will be toast.
Ashton and the Owners on 12:32 - Jun 30 with 672 viewsSouperJim

Ashton and the Owners on 08:34 - Jun 29 by J2BLUE

Let’s be honest, if the Bristol City fans hadn’t come on here crying then no one would be saying a word.

For some reason when other fans say something a certain group of our fans parrot it forever more thinking it’s some sort of clever insight so when it goes wrong they can claim they were ‘right’. It’s pathetic.

I don't think it's unreasonable to be cautious about Ashton given the strength of feeling amongst Bristol City fans. Fans are often a reasonable yardstick for what has gone on at a club, more so than people outside it anyway. Case in point being Mick Mac here, the rest of the football world were saying we were mad to get rid of him and should just accept our lot.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Ashton and the Owners on 12:57 - Jun 30 with 650 viewsChurchman

Ashton and the Owners on 12:32 - Jun 30 by SouperJim

I don't think it's unreasonable to be cautious about Ashton given the strength of feeling amongst Bristol City fans. Fans are often a reasonable yardstick for what has gone on at a club, more so than people outside it anyway. Case in point being Mick Mac here, the rest of the football world were saying we were mad to get rid of him and should just accept our lot.

So your take is that is if Bristol City fans say Ashton is xyz, we should believe them, judge him accordingly and pile in.

Fine, but I prefer to keep an open mind and rate him on what he does here.
Ashton and the Owners on 14:17 - Jun 30 with 619 viewsSouperJim

Ashton and the Owners on 12:57 - Jun 30 by Churchman

So your take is that is if Bristol City fans say Ashton is xyz, we should believe them, judge him accordingly and pile in.

Fine, but I prefer to keep an open mind and rate him on what he does here.

Why do feel the need to try and create a pointless binary arguement? In no way have I said what you just attributed to me.

I completely agree that we should have an open mind and judge him on what he does at ITFC. I'm simply saying that I am more cautious about him than I would be if the fans of one of his previous clubs didn't have such a negative opinion of him.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Ashton and the Owners on 15:51 - Jun 30 with 592 viewsChurchman

Ashton and the Owners on 14:17 - Jun 30 by SouperJim

Why do feel the need to try and create a pointless binary arguement? In no way have I said what you just attributed to me.

I completely agree that we should have an open mind and judge him on what he does at ITFC. I'm simply saying that I am more cautious about him than I would be if the fans of one of his previous clubs didn't have such a negative opinion of him.

Fair enough. It was not my intention to create an argument. Apologies, I was wrong.

I am completely neutral on him. It’s what he delivers - as you say in your second paragraph.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2022 15:56]
Ashton and the Owners on 15:58 - Jun 30 with 589 viewsDyland

Ashton and the Owners on 02:54 - Jun 30 by Kropotkin123

Perhaps, but it was a deal with Ed Sheeran that was struck prior to this ownership that is a significant catalyst. I think what the shirts sales really do for them is highlight that the club were a good pick in terms of the fan base and market opportunities. They should be confident that the more they do and the more success they have, the more they will be able to elevate revenue and turn a profit in the long run.

Innit, and that's thanks to the tenacity of that lady in marketing/comms or whatever... I forget the name... and position... but good on her, top work.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Login to get fewer ads

Ashton and the Owners on 16:56 - Jun 30 with 568 viewsGeomorph

Ashton and the Owners on 15:58 - Jun 30 by Dyland

Innit, and that's thanks to the tenacity of that lady in marketing/comms or whatever... I forget the name... and position... but good on her, top work.

rosie?
Ashton and the Owners on 17:02 - Jun 30 with 566 viewsnodge_blue

what I found a bit bizarre about that, is that Mark Ashton effectively is hired and works for Game Changer?

Its not really Mark Ashton trying to make a case of funding - as whats the alternative? What would be the point of buying a football club in the first place? You've already made that decision.

Its flipping football. Nothing is guaranteed. But if you want success, then buy good players and pay good wages is normally a fast way to achieve it. Its not like Mark Ashton is going to say give me £5 million so that we can all go on the lash.

The "case" is - do you want success from this team that you've already bought.

And as for losing money - you must have seen that ME was losing £7 a year. So as you want to invest and improve the club over ME subsistence levels, you will be losing 10 to 15 mil a year I guess. Until we are in the prem. So suck it up.

I always thought a pension fund investing in a football club was weird.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2022 17:09]

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Ashton and the Owners on 19:35 - Jun 30 with 523 viewsVeggie

Ashton and the Owners on 15:58 - Jun 30 by Dyland

Didn’t he actually say that he was surprised the club hadn’t contacted him about some form of sponsorship and that he actually had to contact them?
Ashton and the Owners on 21:15 - Jun 30 with 450 viewsitfcjoe

Ashton and the Owners on 12:32 - Jun 30 by SouperJim

Surely the example to take from Mick is that Ipswich fans claimed he was terrible and we needed to get rid and turned out that he wasn't and was holding the club together - maybe Ashton is similar

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Ashton and the Owners on 21:24 - Jun 30 with 430 viewsFrimleyBlue

Ashton and the Owners on 21:15 - Jun 30 by itfcjoe

Surely the example to take from Mick is that Ipswich fans claimed he was terrible and we needed to get rid and turned out that he wasn't and was holding the club together - maybe Ashton is similar

Think BC fans are basing all their frustrations at Ashton because their club accounts took a pounding year on year after he took over and it didn't result in any success.

I find the problem with twtd is you can't have reservations about Ashton without apparently being a follower of BC fans. It just isn't the case.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Ashton and the Owners on 08:02 - Jul 1 with 325 viewsIpstone

Ashton and the owners engagement with supporters has been superb so far. Increasing community activities is vital if you want to grow the fan base, The club has to matter to as many people as possible. Fanbase grows the club grows the asset value grows.

There is much improvement in the day to day running at the club improved uptake in sales aroiund shirts / season tickets etc.

Investment in the clubs infrastructure to help sustain the club financially in things like land purchases, and facilities.

For fans Its all about Saturdays but the club has to be successful throughout the week.

Everything is going in the right direction off the field and the Evans Decay is being cut away. On the field success will follow.

The club is being placed on a long term stable footing this is to be celebrated even if we are all impatient regarding on the field success.

Obviously getting out of this division is something we desperately need and want but i fully expect McKenna to be here next season if very decent progress toward promotion has been shown.

Ashton will be here because he is doing a very sound job thus far in building the off field club into a solid performing entity
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024