Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hybrid hatchback car 13:25 - Jul 9 with 1360 viewsfarkenhell

Does anyone have any recommendations for a hybrid hatchback? My wife's car has died, uneconomical to repair and we've decided to bite the bullet and look for a replacement. Spent the entire morning searching online, which has left us more confused than ever! Ideally a hybrid (not plugin), no more than 3 years old or thereabouts and budget max £10k. Any suggestions what to consider (and what to ignore)? Many thanks...
Hybrid hatchback car on 13:30 - Jul 9 with 1311 viewsstopmoaning

Are there any options out there for 10k for a hybrid that’s not older than 3 years?
Hybrid hatchback car on 13:30 - Jul 9 with 1319 viewsChurchman

Toyota have been making hybrids for years. I know from having had many Toyotas over the years, including the misses’ 3 year old Yaris, they make a pretty bullet proof car.

Edit: my comment is the make of car rather than hybrid/electric. I’ve only ever had standard petrol cars.
[Post edited 9 Jul 2022 15:24]
Hybrid hatchback car on 14:04 - Jul 9 with 1243 viewsDurovigutum

Most of the hybrids are a waste of time, when on battery you lug around a huge engine and gearbox and when on petrol you lug around a heavy battery. The Toyota non-plug in hybrid is probably the exception as it is accelerating the consumes petrol and braking that wastes energy which the “self charging” hybrid captures. It doesn’t do much more than add 10mpg to your journey however, as the Toyota will only do about half a mile on battery. It (Prius, some Auris and Eav4 models) is also probably the only manufacturer you will get near on your budget, unless you want a ten year old Zoe battery only that does 70 miles before stranding you….
Hybrid hatchback car on 14:57 - Jul 9 with 1172 viewsChondzoresk

Of no interest to you, but I got myself a new Pug 3008. The hybrid technology is poor. 22 miles max…poor regeneration. In full EV I get 32 miles. Great for local driving, useless for any long range drives. I’d stick to an ICE for now.
Hybrid hatchback car on 14:59 - Jul 9 with 1166 viewsChondzoresk

Hybrid hatchback car on 14:04 - Jul 9 by Durovigutum

Most of the hybrids are a waste of time, when on battery you lug around a huge engine and gearbox and when on petrol you lug around a heavy battery. The Toyota non-plug in hybrid is probably the exception as it is accelerating the consumes petrol and braking that wastes energy which the “self charging” hybrid captures. It doesn’t do much more than add 10mpg to your journey however, as the Toyota will only do about half a mile on battery. It (Prius, some Auris and Eav4 models) is also probably the only manufacturer you will get near on your budget, unless you want a ten year old Zoe battery only that does 70 miles before stranding you….

Basically as I have found out…..a complete waste of time.
Hybrid hatchback car on 15:16 - Jul 9 with 1136 viewssuffolkpoker

Save your money and buy an old diesel. Don’t believe the hype of the electric and hybrid.

Depending on age, any 1.9TDI ie mark 4 or 5 golf = 55 mpg. Typical cost £1.5k
Or more modern 1.6TDI Audi, Skoda or VW etc. my wife has a Skoda fabia Monte Carlo 1.6 £20 a year tax and 75MPG. Cost about £4K

The VAG family has tons of hatch back variants with super MPG.

I run a large rental fleet, even now I won’t entertain hybrids and electric for the masses.

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

Hybrid hatchback car on 15:46 - Jul 9 with 1091 viewshomer_123

Hybrid hatchback car on 15:16 - Jul 9 by suffolkpoker

Save your money and buy an old diesel. Don’t believe the hype of the electric and hybrid.

Depending on age, any 1.9TDI ie mark 4 or 5 golf = 55 mpg. Typical cost £1.5k
Or more modern 1.6TDI Audi, Skoda or VW etc. my wife has a Skoda fabia Monte Carlo 1.6 £20 a year tax and 75MPG. Cost about £4K

The VAG family has tons of hatch back variants with super MPG.

I run a large rental fleet, even now I won’t entertain hybrids and electric for the masses.

What is the hype?

I bought an EV in December...just under 300 miles from a full charge.

Don't have a home charger...simply charge of a 3 pin overnight which gives me 20% top up. No tax (at the moment) about £11 to charge...insurance no different really. In terms of price...managed to get a decent deal.

They aren't perfect and long journeys need a bit more planning but it's a no brainer really.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Hybrid hatchback car on 15:48 - Jul 9 with 1090 viewshomer_123

Don't bother with a hybrid. Go full EV bud.

Login to get fewer ads

Hybrid hatchback car on 16:03 - Jul 9 with 1076 viewsFather_Jack

We've had a hybrid automatic Yaris for years. Done over 100k miles and still going strong with no probs.

Less is more.

Hybrid hatchback car on 16:13 - Jul 9 with 1060 viewsFromReuserWithLove

Hybrid hatchback car on 15:46 - Jul 9 by homer_123

What is the hype?

Don't have a home charger...simply charge of a 3 pin overnight which gives me 20% top up. No tax (at the moment) about £11 to charge...insurance no different really. In terms of price...managed to get a decent deal.

They aren't perfect and long journeys need a bit more planning but it's a no brainer really.

Cost you more than 10k right?
Hybrid hatchback car on 16:39 - Jul 9 with 1005 viewshomer_123

Hybrid hatchback car on 16:13 - Jul 9 by FromReuserWithLove

Cost you more than 10k right?

Yep but my reply wasn't to the OP - it was to Suffolk. :)

Hybrid hatchback car on 17:03 - Jul 9 with 956 viewsKievthegreat

What is the hype?

Just out of interest, why did you forego the 7kW home charger? I've had EVs for 4 years now, and I can't imagine being on a 3-pin charger and my EVs (Renault Zoes) clearly have a smaller battery than yours.
Hybrid hatchback car on 17:45 - Jul 9 with 915 viewshomer_123

Hybrid hatchback car on 17:03 - Jul 9 by Kievthegreat

Just out of interest, why did you forego the 7kW home charger? I've had EVs for 4 years now, and I can't imagine being on a 3-pin charger and my EVs (Renault Zoes) clearly have a smaller battery than yours.

I've used nothing but 3 pin since I bought her in December. Don't really do long distances daily...as I say 20% overnight charge on a 3 pin is more than enough for me.

Hybrid hatchback car on 18:02 - Jul 9 with 880 viewsLord_Lucan

I would also steer away from Hybrid - drive Ipswich to Brum and you’ll get about 30 miles on electric.

You can get a lease electric for about £250 a month - that would be my option.

I wouldn’t buy electric, in fact I wouldn’t buy any car at the moment unless it’s a cheap petrol or diesel until the vehicle future becomes clearer.

I don’t think electric is the long term answer.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Hybrid hatchback car on 18:07 - Jul 9 with 867 viewssuffolkpoker

What is the hype?

EV will work for a few people I’m sure.

The Tesla is a good example, decent charge, build quality is good etc if you got deep pockets.

£10k budget I’m pretty sure nothing will touch a VAG diesel for quality, MPG, reliability and cost on a modest budget.

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

Hybrid hatchback car on 18:13 - Jul 9 with 853 viewsFreddies_Ears

Hybrid hatchback car on 18:07 - Jul 9 by suffolkpoker

EV will work for a few people I’m sure.

The Tesla is a good example, decent charge, build quality is good etc if you got deep pockets.

£10k budget I’m pretty sure nothing will touch a VAG diesel for quality, MPG, reliability and cost on a modest budget.

I would buy an EV right now if I never did more than around 200 miles a day.
For Town fans who do away day trips, EV needs a bit of headscratching. Many will need a couple of long top-ups, with few options around the away ground.
Hybrid hatchback car on 20:56 - Jul 9 with 768 viewsfarkenhell

Many thanks everyone for the constructive comments. I think we need a re-think! Mrs F mainly uses her car to travel to and from our closest town, about 6 miles away, plus the very occasional longer journey. She's therefore looking for a small hatchback. An EV would be perfect, but well above our budget (and second hand models seem to be more scarce than a Naarich win last season!) Might look into leasing as Lucan suggested.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024