Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Energy prices in the UK 14:21 - Aug 4 with 3783 viewsIllinoisblue

I keep reading how energy bills are set to treble (or more) around October this year. Besides obscene profiteering, what is causing these insane price hikes?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Energy prices in the UK on 14:09 - Aug 5 with 463 viewsKieran_Knows

Energy prices in the UK on 13:59 - Aug 5 by textbackup

Couldn’t Chuck me £7.50 of that a month could ya buh?

Our fixed rate with E-on next ends this month and the £115 DD we pay is jumping to £235 a month on a variable rate 😂😂

£405 a month if we want to fix it…. I mean, what!

Ha, I really have no idea why it's been reduced? Lulling us in before we get a massive spike in October no doubt!

Crazy isn't it? We were paying £57 a month when we moved in last February. That rose too £160 in March, and will now be £140 from next month.

It's madness, but when does it all end/go back to relative normality?!

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Energy prices in the UK on 14:13 - Aug 5 with 447 viewsJakeITFC

Energy prices in the UK on 10:40 - Aug 5 by Steve_M

Even Texas had a stabilisation fund to utilise oil revenues when required, not the UK though.

The most frustrating thing regarding energy policy is that around 15 years ago every energy company had it's own version of a graph which showed the current generation mix (coal 30%, gas 40%, nuclear 20%, renewables and other making up the rest) and future projections as coal closed under environmental legislation and nuclear stations, other than Sizewell reached the end of their operating life. It all pointed to being very dependent on imported gas round about now in the full knowledge that a) a lot of that gas would come from Russia and b) LNG would go where the market incentivised it too.

Now, in reality the growth of renewable energy has actually been better than projected but coal has probably reduced by rather more as Drax repeatedly makes ploys for better subsidies. The gas dependency still holds and new nuclear is arriving far too slowly (not Christmas 2017 as EDF once promised).

These next few winters as we finally enter a genuine post-coal transition are going to be very scary from a margins perspective (summers too if we see heat like July become commonplace).
Energy prices in the UK on 14:23 - Aug 5 with 422 viewstextbackup

Energy prices in the UK on 14:09 - Aug 5 by Kieran_Knows

Ha, I really have no idea why it's been reduced? Lulling us in before we get a massive spike in October no doubt!

Crazy isn't it? We were paying £57 a month when we moved in last February. That rose too £160 in March, and will now be £140 from next month.

It's madness, but when does it all end/go back to relative normality?!

I felt so thick the other day when I had to Google ‘will energy prices ever go back to normal’

Turns out I got a few words in and it came up as a suggested search, so glad to see more have had to asked the same question!

We are lucky at the moment, both work, overtime etc, so we can manage… but I look around at some families with just the bloke working, minimal extra income each month, a DD of £300+ from £150 will destroy them

Genuinely have no idea what is going on and where it stops

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Energy prices in the UK on 14:25 - Aug 5 with 416 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Energy prices in the UK on 14:23 - Aug 5 by textbackup

I felt so thick the other day when I had to Google ‘will energy prices ever go back to normal’

Turns out I got a few words in and it came up as a suggested search, so glad to see more have had to asked the same question!

We are lucky at the moment, both work, overtime etc, so we can manage… but I look around at some families with just the bloke working, minimal extra income each month, a DD of £300+ from £150 will destroy them

“ Genuinely have no idea what is going on and where it stops”

…probably when Vlad takes a fall from his balcony.

On a serious note have a read of the thread and some of the links, it will give you the wider context.
Energy prices in the UK on 14:27 - Aug 5 with 414 viewsKieran_Knows

Yes, I can imagine that has been searched millions of times!

Absolutely. Glad to hear you'll be alright buh! Certainly going to be tight for me and the missus as shes currently off on maternity leave (just on stat pay) and she's taking the additional 3 months off to have the whole year off. This is the last month she gets paid before going back in December, so we'll have the muddle through till then but once she's back part time, the money coming in will be a lot more than what she's on now so we should be fine from the New Year!

Just madness, it really is.

Hope your strike all went well last week! Any joy from it? (apologies if you've mentioned it elsewhere and I've missed it).

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Energy prices in the UK on 14:29 - Aug 5 with 408 viewsmutters

Energy prices in the UK on 12:10 - Aug 5 by itfcjoe

There is some build up, but from 2nd April until 3rd May we have used £210 in that time, currently with Octopus but on an old Avro tarriff

Without knowing your details, that seems a lot however guess the heating was on some during that period which probably account for a chunk of that. People in the house etc. My number was from mid June to mid July so no heating and only showers, so that why my is lower I guess.

Really not looking forward to October.

Solar panels seem like a great idea, you've definitely planted that seed in my head now.

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

Energy prices in the UK on 14:31 - Aug 5 with 405 viewsleitrimblue

Energy prices in the UK on 14:05 - Aug 5 by cbower

Stop ruining it for me!!!! Would it be fair to say she didn't help the situation by selling off British Gas et al and closing down our pits whilst still importing coal from elsewhere?
It's still her fault!!!!

I've never forgiven her for taking away our milk from when I was a kid
Energy prices in the UK on 14:31 - Aug 5 with 405 viewstextbackup

Energy prices in the UK on 14:27 - Aug 5 by Kieran_Knows

Yes, I can imagine that has been searched millions of times!

Absolutely. Glad to hear you'll be alright buh! Certainly going to be tight for me and the missus as shes currently off on maternity leave (just on stat pay) and she's taking the additional 3 months off to have the whole year off. This is the last month she gets paid before going back in December, so we'll have the muddle through till then but once she's back part time, the money coming in will be a lot more than what she's on now so we should be fine from the New Year!

Just madness, it really is.

Hope your strike all went well last week! Any joy from it? (apologies if you've mentioned it elsewhere and I've missed it).

Na fck all will happen, knew that before we went on strike, but had to be done so so he knew how we all felt.
Again, that strike wasn’t really for me, and the centre we work, was more so the wider company and those on lesser grades etc

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Login to get fewer ads

Energy prices in the UK on 14:34 - Aug 5 with 390 viewsmutters

Energy prices in the UK on 13:59 - Aug 5 by textbackup

Couldn’t Chuck me £7.50 of that a month could ya buh?

Our fixed rate with E-on next ends this month and the £115 DD we pay is jumping to £235 a month on a variable rate 😂😂

£405 a month if we want to fix it…. I mean, what!

I don't believe you have to accept the rise.

Bulb tried to pull that one on me a while ago and wanted to double my DD. I politely told them no and when challenged I pointed out that I have never been in arrears and so they should not be worried about me managing my own account. I said I would top up when needed and change it myself down the line. They backed off

My mother currently have nearly £600 credit in her bulb account at the moment, which to me seems bonkers as its her money!

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

Energy prices in the UK on 14:38 - Aug 5 with 374 viewshype313

Probably not for a couple of years, if ever, quite harrowing really.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024