Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Advice required please: Data protection breach 12:23 - Sep 10 with 1428 viewsMalcolmMeatballHead

Hello folks. My 13 year old is currently being assessed for a few medical issues. It's all being done through the NHS (or so I thought) but I received a letter today from Barnardo's advising that my son's data has been shared. A quote from the letter as follows:

'on Wednesday 24 August a member of staff at Suffolk Neurodevelopmental pathway shared a spreadsheet on a social media platform . The staff member shared it for the purpose of getting advice from an excel user support group and believed they had removed all personal data from the document. They subsequently realised that the document contained a hidden 'tab' which included your child's first and last name, date of birth and GP details'.

It goes onto say it was up for 14 hours before being taken down along with an apology.

My question is should I be alarmed? Is there anything I need to do? I appreciate their apology and don't want to make any unnecessary fuss or get any Barnardo's staff on trouble but I'm a bit worried.

Has anybody encountered anything similar? Just don't know if it's going to compromise my family.

Thanks in advance, have a nice day folks
[Post edited 10 Sep 2022 12:25]
Advice required please: Data protection breach on 12:28 - Sep 10 with 1373 viewsStu_boy

Hi malcolm, any kind of dp breach is worth raising a formal complaint about. You can complain directly to the nhs, if your not happy with their outcome you can take it further to the healthcare ombudsman
Advice required please: Data protection breach on 12:35 - Sep 10 with 1325 viewsPinewoodblue

Presumably others will have received a similar letter, of course you should complain far too often personal data is carelessly shared.

You might also ask for details of who else the data has been shared with.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Advice required please: Data protection breach on 12:44 - Sep 10 with 1286 viewsBlueBadger

Advice required please: Data protection breach on 12:28 - Sep 10 by Stu_boy

Hi malcolm, any kind of dp breach is worth raising a formal complaint about. You can complain directly to the nhs, if your not happy with their outcome you can take it further to the healthcare ombudsman

This. If a formal complaint is raised, it has to be investigated and processes reviewed.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Advice required please: Data protection breach on 12:53 - Sep 10 with 1249 viewsRyorry

"On a social media platform" would concern me. Maybe contact that platform to alert them in case any attempt's made to use or post the data? Plus keep a checking eye on the platform yourself.

I'm no expert tho, others will probably have more in depth knowldge/advice.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Advice required please: Data protection breach on 13:00 - Sep 10 with 1221 viewsSitfcB

Advice required please: Data protection breach on 12:53 - Sep 10 by Ryorry

"On a social media platform" would concern me. Maybe contact that platform to alert them in case any attempt's made to use or post the data? Plus keep a checking eye on the platform yourself.

Sounds like it may have been a Facebook group for excel ‘geeks’ which would’ve been a closed group with only a certain number of people in and not the whole world, so to speak, whilst still not right it may not have been seen by as many people as it could have and hopefully by people who wouldn’t use the information.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Advice required please: Data protection breach on 13:01 - Sep 10 with 1215 viewsIllinoisblue

Advice required please: Data protection breach on 12:53 - Sep 10 by Ryorry

I’m sure it was an honest mistake but that’s the thing that’s a bit odd. If you need help on something why share it on a social platform?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Advice required please: Data protection breach on 13:12 - Sep 10 with 1163 viewshomer_123

DM me bud.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Advice required please: Data protection breach on 13:13 - Sep 10 with 1162 viewsgiant_stow

Advice required please: Data protection breach on 13:01 - Sep 10 by Illinoisblue

I’m sure it was an honest mistake but that’s the thing that’s a bit odd. If you need help on something why share it on a social platform?

There are loads of Excel forums and bloggers with comments who I've used for help on tricky stuff - probably one of those.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Login to get fewer ads

Advice required please: Data protection breach on 13:14 - Sep 10 with 1162 views05Jchamb

I used to work in data breach response and whilst this isn’t ideal I wouldn’t be overly concerned in all honesty. Your child’s name and DOB is likely to be available online already from other sources and in all honesty doesn’t really have any inherent value to other people.

On the understanding that their GP details (name of / address) are the only additional info - again I see limited risk of harm. If NHS number or description of condition has also been included, this would be slightly worse but again needs to be viewed in the context of how would an unscrupulous person actually benefit from misusing this data? There is so much personal info of much greater value on the web that criminals tend to go for the low hanging fruit.

Also factor in that this was shared for a) a relatively short period of time b) on a (presumably private) group made up of people who are unlikely to misuse it, and c) in a hidden tab that means it is unlikely to have been seen by the majority of viewers.

Probably worth raising a complaint asking to be kept advised of any evidence of misuse but that is out of an abundance of caution and I personally wouldn’t be losing any sleep.

Had this been a US for profit, I would be more inclined to kick up a fuss but mistakes happen and unless you suffer actual harm, my view would be that the NHS has enough on its plate and mistakes happen.

Hope this helps
Advice required please: Data protection breach on 13:23 - Sep 10 with 1113 viewsDeano69

Advice required please: Data protection breach on 12:35 - Sep 10 by Pinewoodblue

Presumably others will have received a similar letter, of course you should complain far too often personal data is carelessly shared.

You might also ask for details of who else the data has been shared with.

A few things I would have liked explained.

1. How many people was the data initially exposed to (the forum members) and were they medically certified.

2. Is there any evidence that the file had been downloaded or save by others.

3. Exactly what information was enclosed in the file?

4. Has the incident been reported to the ICO

5. What actions have been taken to ensure this could never happen again

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Advice required please: Data protection breach on 14:20 - Sep 10 with 997 viewsStu_boy

Advice required please: Data protection breach on 13:13 - Sep 10 by giant_stow

There are loads of Excel forums and bloggers with comments who I've used for help on tricky stuff - probably one of those.

Yes but the key thing is to kerp the information generic. It's one thing asking for help on something and something else sending personal information which is what has happened in this instance
Advice required please: Data protection breach on 14:20 - Sep 10 with 1002 viewsMalcolmMeatballHead

Thanks so much for taking time to reply to you all. You're a good bunch (mostly) and I appreciate it.

Homer: thanks, I will dm you soon and I appreciate your reply.

further to a previous question Barnardo's said it has been reported to the ICO

Btw, to clarify I don't want to take it further and make things even harder for the NHS or Barnardo's in terms of wanting to sue or get people sacked as those guys do an amazing job to protect and look after our little ones. I just want reassurance that my boy won't have any problems getting a bank account or his identity being stolen. Just want peace of mind as I'm a nervous worrier lol.

Cheers again. Uppa towen!
[Post edited 10 Sep 2022 14:22]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024