Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Another day, another Tories decimated election map 22:36 - Oct 14 with 2910 viewsthebooks

I do like Suffolk going completely red (including Coffey getting trounced), apart from Hancock (hanging on by 500 or so votes) and Cartlidge (less than 200). Enjoy:

https://electionmaps.uk/nowcast
Another day, another Tories decimated election map on 20:16 - Oct 15 with 722 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Another day, another Tories decimated election map on 22:39 - Oct 14 by Lord_Lucan

I'm not sure about that forecast

Not so much the Tory / Labour thing but I think that Labour have a chance of giving Sturgeon a good beating.

The forecast looks like it lacks much nuance. I am sure that, if there were an election tomorrow, it would not play out that close to that.

One thing I did find interesting was several LibDem gains projected there with low 30s% of the vote.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Another day, another Tories decimated election map on 20:19 - Oct 15 with 715 viewsXYZ

Another day, another Tories decimated election map on 20:03 - Oct 15 by HARRY10

I think tactical voting will play a major part as in 1997. We saw that recently where voters turned out in their thousands to rid the country of the odious bloater.

By the time a GE comes round the impact of mortgages rising will have hit home badly. Money lost by incompetent covid loans may be forgiven as it could be claimed the intent behind those loans was worthy. Something only the most deluded brexiter (there are others?) could defend about the suicidal mini budget.

It should not be ignored how one subject can fixate voting. Johnsons lies about brexit and the Libdems lie about student loans.

However, a week is a long time in politics, as we have once again discovered. And there are many more weeks before a GE happens.

How much voters remember the damage caused by brexit will have to be seen. But I do think the mood is one for change. Failing to deliver is one thing - but a deliberate policy of harm to the country is another.

I don't see it as what happened in France post liberation, but I do think those responsible and their supporters will pay a heavy price at the ballot box.

Some good points there, Harry.

I don't think it was a lie by the Lib Dems - i.e. an untruth when said - it was a bare-faced abandonment of a red line promise to get a sniff of power. Almost as bad, but not quite.

Completely correct on Johnson. He should be locked up at best.
Another day, another Tories decimated election map on 20:20 - Oct 15 with 714 viewsSwansea_Blue

Another day, another Tories decimated election map on 20:16 - Oct 15 by Nthsuffolkblue

The forecast looks like it lacks much nuance. I am sure that, if there were an election tomorrow, it would not play out that close to that.

One thing I did find interesting was several LibDem gains projected there with low 30s% of the vote.

Agreed, it wouldn’t play out like this at all. I can understand why people get excited by the polls, but this far out they are utterly meaningless in terms of the next GE. It’s like getting excited in a match over the score after 15 minutes.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Another day, another Tories decimated election map on 20:51 - Oct 15 with 703 viewslongtimefan

Another day, another Tories decimated election map on 13:03 - Oct 15 by Mullet

Definitely merit to that. Along with the rather dark reality that their mismanagement of Covid killed off many voters and soured their older children towards them supposedly.

But we've had a sickening dose of jingoism and nonsense thanks to the Queen's death and that seems to stir up Toryism too. There are so many factors at play, but I do hope that Starmer wins comfortably and introduces PR so the Tories can never ruin Britain again.

I'd take a few Far Right protest MPs every few years in the HoC as at least they wouldn't be disguised in blue as they are now.

“ There are so many factors at play, but I do hope that Starmer wins comfortably and introduces PR so the Tories can never ruin Britain again. ”

I would think one of the biggest risks to PR is if Starmer were to win comfortably. I don’t think it’s really central to his vision. If he has a large majority I don’t think he go for it. Far more likely with a narrow victory in my opinion.
Another day, another Tories decimated election map on 23:00 - Oct 15 with 663 viewsHARRY10

Another day, another Tories decimated election map on 20:51 - Oct 15 by longtimefan

“ There are so many factors at play, but I do hope that Starmer wins comfortably and introduces PR so the Tories can never ruin Britain again. ”

I would think one of the biggest risks to PR is if Starmer were to win comfortably. I don’t think it’s really central to his vision. If he has a large majority I don’t think he go for it. Far more likely with a narrow victory in my opinion.

Stop peddling nonsense, and putting out there the idea that what the UK needs is less democracy and more central control

Which ever party has most seats, runs the country unless you subscribe to this la la PR fantasy that decisions by the executive and Bills passed by the legislative are like a wall emulsion - a mixture of the component parts

" We will bring back hanging but as in agreement with our smaller coalition partners we will only enforce it for those crimes committed on the week end, and as the Greens have 7 seats the noose will be made of hemp."

"The next Olympics will be PR, whereby the three medals are divided by the place you finish ie. 8th in the race will entitle you to 1/16th of the gold medal etc. The medal ceremony will feature all eight national anthems played simultaneously, with the volume of each determined by where the competitor finished"

And as much as I loathe the Tories and all they stand for

"and introduces PR so the Tories can never ruin Britain again. ”

....... is quite disturbing.

There is every reason for wanting to stop the abuses by Tory MPs*, but there can never be justification for gerry mandering the voting system to benefit/block any party, even the BNP/UKIP.

It is a slippery sloop, as with PR, where control is taken out of the hands of voters and given to a small number of party 'apparatchiks'.

* Non attendance in Parliament so as to travel abroad on private earnings trips

2nd/jobs 'consulting' work, to end

Claims made in the house to be accountable (fact checked) and made to retract if found inaccurate (as with newspapers) - perhaps have MPs speaking on oath, perjury might cause many to take a bit more care with what they say

Otherwise ................get rid of much of the archaic ritual that smacks of Tom Browns school days rather than 2022
Another day, another Tories decimated election map on 23:02 - Oct 15 with 661 viewsXYZ

Another day, another Tories decimated election map on 23:00 - Oct 15 by HARRY10

Stop peddling nonsense, and putting out there the idea that what the UK needs is less democracy and more central control

Which ever party has most seats, runs the country unless you subscribe to this la la PR fantasy that decisions by the executive and Bills passed by the legislative are like a wall emulsion - a mixture of the component parts

" We will bring back hanging but as in agreement with our smaller coalition partners we will only enforce it for those crimes committed on the week end, and as the Greens have 7 seats the noose will be made of hemp."

"The next Olympics will be PR, whereby the three medals are divided by the place you finish ie. 8th in the race will entitle you to 1/16th of the gold medal etc. The medal ceremony will feature all eight national anthems played simultaneously, with the volume of each determined by where the competitor finished"

There is every reason for wanting to stop the abuses by Tory MPs*, but there can never be justification for gerry mandering the voting system to benefit/block any party, even the BNP/UKIP.

It is a slippery sloop, as with PR, where control is taken out of the hands of voters and given to a small number of party 'apparatchiks'.

Claims made in the house to be accountable (fact checked) and made to retract if found inaccurate (as with newspapers) - perhaps have MPs speaking on oath, perjury might cause many to take a bit more care with what they say

Otherwise ................get rid of much of the archaic ritual that smacks of Tom Browns school days rather than 2022

Gotta watch out for slippery sloops.
Another day, another Tories decimated election map on 23:08 - Oct 15 with 641 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Another day, another Tories decimated election map on 20:51 - Oct 15 by longtimefan

Either it will be in the manifesto, or it won't. I can't see how it won't be currently. Once in the manifesto, the bigger the majority, the greater the pressure to enact the manifesto on which they have been elected.

I agree that Starmer does not appear keen, but I think it has to be a part of the next Labour manifesto. The big question then is what form it takes.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Another day, another Tories decimated election map on 23:15 - Oct 15 with 636 viewsHARRY10

Another day, another Tories decimated election map on 23:02 - Oct 15 by XYZ

Gotta watch out for slippery sloops.

frig it

another typo
Login to get fewer ads

Another day, another Tories decimated election map on 23:44 - Oct 15 with 624 viewsXYZ

Another day, another Tories decimated election map on 23:15 - Oct 15 by HARRY10

frig it

another typo

Well, we've all been there.
Another day, another Tories decimated election map on 02:27 - Oct 16 with 609 viewsbournemouthblue

Suffolk turning red would be amazing, we have some constituencies where you could elect a monkey with a blue rosette

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Another day, another Tories decimated election map on 11:06 - Oct 16 with 568 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Another day, another Tories decimated election map on 02:27 - Oct 16 by bournemouthblue

Suffolk turning red would be amazing, we have some constituencies where you could elect a monkey with a blue rosette

As evidenced at the last GE.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Another day, another Tories decimated election map on 21:42 - Oct 16 with 533 viewslongtimefan

Another day, another Tories decimated election map on 23:00 - Oct 15 by HARRY10

You seem to be somewhat triggered by the words PR. If you’d actually read my post you’d have seen no mention of the benefits or detriments of PR, simply a comment on the likelihood of its adoption.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024