Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sing Up Sir Alf 10:52 - Nov 12 with 1402 viewsAndrewRatcliffITFC

Why is the support from the Sir Alf stand so poor? It reminds me of when Robson got into a lot of trouble for calling us "Zombies" back in the day because of the lack of atmosphere. Our away support is great with everyone chanting in unison....does nobody from the Sir Alf go to away games? You need to step up and start making a racket if we are going to win this league - Mckenna has asked for it ....stop being silent sheep! COYB
Sing Up Sir Alf on 11:01 - Nov 12 with 1352 viewsgainsboroughblue

I've been to most away grounds in England and with only a few exceptions, it is the same situation everywhere. One or possibly two areas of the home crowd making all the noise, and the rest much quieter. It's nothing unique.

When I first started going, I was in the Churchmans Stand. Very rarely would make their own atmosphere but would often join in given the right game and circumstances. There would often be a loud 'Come on you Blues' if there was a corner at that end. It could be quite impressive to be fair, but it was always much maligned and the butt of the jokes from the rowdier North Stand.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Sing Up Sir Alf on 11:23 - Nov 12 with 1284 viewsAndrewRatcliffITFC

Sing Up Sir Alf on 11:01 - Nov 12 by gainsboroughblue

I've been to most away grounds in England and with only a few exceptions, it is the same situation everywhere. One or possibly two areas of the home crowd making all the noise, and the rest much quieter. It's nothing unique.

When I first started going, I was in the Churchmans Stand. Very rarely would make their own atmosphere but would often join in given the right game and circumstances. There would often be a loud 'Come on you Blues' if there was a corner at that end. It could be quite impressive to be fair, but it was always much maligned and the butt of the jokes from the rowdier North Stand.

I agree it's nothing unique but there must be lots of people from the Sir Alf stand who sing at away games, so what's keeping them quiet at home? It's probably just self consciousness. If there was a critical mass of people chanting I'm sure they would join in... it would be great to make Portman Rd a cauldron of noise......
Sing Up Sir Alf on 11:29 - Nov 12 with 1269 viewsAndrewRatcliffITFC

Sing Up Sir Alf on 11:23 - Nov 12 by AndrewRatcliffITFC

I agree it's nothing unique but there must be lots of people from the Sir Alf stand who sing at away games, so what's keeping them quiet at home? It's probably just self consciousness. If there was a critical mass of people chanting I'm sure they would join in... it would be great to make Portman Rd a cauldron of noise......

Perhaps Blue Action could look at taking a few seats there to stoke things up a bit...
Sing Up Sir Alf on 11:30 - Nov 12 with 1266 viewsTheBoyBlue

I guess its easier when you're in with a crowd of others also making news, but if you stand up to sing and you're the only one, it's hard to sustain!

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Sing Up Sir Alf on 11:32 - Nov 12 with 1255 viewsgainsboroughblue

Some of it may be self counciousness. Being in certain parts of a ground kind of makes you adapt to your surroundings. I was always more lairy in the North Stand or JJ block back in the day as you risked the 'disapproving stare' in other areas.

Some people just aren't as inclined to make noise and wave their arms about and that's fine.

The fact they are there demonstrates they have a passion for the club. Other people have 'done their time' and I put myself in that category. I've done the conga at Vale Park, started off chants at Molineux, ran on the pitch at PR when that last minute goal goes in. If I went now, I'd probably be the one at the back of stand taking things in.

Sing Up Sir Alf on 11:37 - Nov 12 with 1233 viewsVaughan8

Because not everyone wants to sing every chant. That's why the north stand (lower) is for those people.

Not too hard to understand.

Every ground is like it so not sure why it's a thread now? Haha

They do give it to the away fans though........
Sing Up Sir Alf on 11:42 - Nov 12 with 1218 viewsgainsboroughblue

Sing Up Sir Alf on 11:37 - Nov 12 by Vaughan8

Because not everyone wants to sing every chant. That's why the north stand (lower) is for those people.

It's hard to break with tradition I guess as the North has always been the go to place for the hard-core, noisier groups. But since the away fans have been 100% concentrated in the Cobbold Stand at the opposite end, it has made more sense for the noise to come from Churchans/SAR. There would certainly be less 'Football in a library' chants from the away fans and they'd be drowned out easier

Acoustics may be better in SAR too.
[Post edited 12 Nov 2022 11:43]

Sing Up Sir Alf on 12:19 - Nov 12 with 1100 viewsAndrewRatcliffITFC

Sing Up Sir Alf on 11:37 - Nov 12 by Vaughan8

Atmosphere in a stadium is generally considered a good thing why not make it as good as it could be.... people chanting at away games but not at home are not helping. It's fine if people don't want to sing or chant but the end result is grounds like Craven Cottage where football is played to a deadly hush....We should follow the example of our German friends Fortuna Dussledorf
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Fortuna+dusseldorf+fans&newwindow=1&so
Login to get fewer ads

Sing Up Sir Alf on 12:24 - Nov 12 with 1087 viewsAndrewRatcliffITFC

Sing Up Sir Alf on 11:32 - Nov 12 by gainsboroughblue

Some of it may be self counciousness. Being in certain parts of a ground kind of makes you adapt to your surroundings. I was always more lairy in the North Stand or JJ block back in the day as you risked the 'disapproving stare' in other areas.

Some people just aren't as inclined to make noise and wave their arms about and that's fine.

The fact they are there demonstrates they have a passion for the club. Other people have 'done their time' and I put myself in that category. I've done the conga at Vale Park, started off chants at Molineux, ran on the pitch at PR when that last minute goal goes in. If I went now, I'd probably be the one at the back of stand taking things in.

"done their time" I used to stand on the Churchmans when it had wooden planks as terracing, you're never to old to lend vocal support, we need to up it, give McKenna what he has asked for.
Sing Up Sir Alf on 12:31 - Nov 12 with 1063 viewsPinewoodblue

Sing Up Sir Alf on 12:19 - Nov 12 by AndrewRatcliffITFC

Atmosphere in a stadium is generally considered a good thing why not make it as good as it could be.... people chanting at away games but not at home are not helping. It's fine if people don't want to sing or chant but the end result is grounds like Craven Cottage where football is played to a deadly hush....We should follow the example of our German friends Fortuna Dussledorf
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Fortuna+dusseldorf+fans&newwindow=1&so

It isn’t that long ago that you could sit to SAR and not have a clue what the chants were from SBRL, at times there were more than one chants at the same time.

Just support the team and stop moaning about fellow fans.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Sing Up Sir Alf on 12:38 - Nov 12 with 1003 viewsSE1blue

I’ve always wondered how and why that Premiership game against Manchester United - with only 22,007 people - created so much noise. Every single person in the ground was up for making noise that night and it was so loud that even SAF commented on it.

Struggling to think of other matches since then that have brought the same energy from the crowd. Maybe it’s the change in the layout of Portman Road but I also think it’s years and years of failure that have made folks hesitant to let go.

Think McKenna is right to ask for it now though.

Poll: Should VAR be scrapped?
Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Sing Up Sir Alf on 12:41 - Nov 12 with 995 viewsCoastalblue

I think maybe get the North singing in unison without anything offensive first, then start to worry about getting the rest of the ground to join in. The sound from there is often a mess during games.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Sing Up Sir Alf on 12:41 - Nov 12 with 994 viewsnoggin

I sat in the West Stand for the Cambridge game. Honestly,it was like a shop dummy conference. Not one person stood up, or raised their voice, throughout the whole game.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

[Redacted] on 12:52 - Nov 12 with 946 viewsvictorywilhappen

Sing Up Sir Alf on 12:41 - Nov 12 by noggin

I sat in the West Stand for the Cambridge game. Honestly,it was like a shop dummy conference. Not one person stood up, or raised their voice, throughout the whole game.

[Redacted]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024