Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The issue? 20:07 - Jan 23 with 1466 viewsMcCall

Hello

Long time reader, first time poster... so go easy on me!

Just wondering what the issue is at the moment? The drop off in form is concerning and I wonder what people's views are on what has gone wrong?

Do we think the we had a new manager bounce or is it more the players?
The issue? on 20:17 - Jan 23 with 1386 viewsGiveusaWave

We create chances...but conversion rate is really poor. For some reason we also seem to lose our momentum/energy levels in the last 15/20 minutes of games (I'm including extra time here). We are very good at possession football and controlling a game for long periods.

Poll: If we sign one player in the Jan window....

The issue? on 20:19 - Jan 23 with 1367 viewsHerbivore

Our issues by Herbivore 22 Jan 2023 8:30
It's not that we've been sussed out. It's not that we need to change the system. It's not that we need to sign more players. It is, very simply, that we do not take as many of our good chances as we should and we concede a higher proportion of chances against than we should. We have the lowest xG against in the league and by far the highest xG for. I know xG is far from perfect, but the xG stats suggest we should be pissing the league: https://footballxg.com/xg-league-tables/

The stats back up what we are seeing most weeks. Even yesterday when we were below par, we created enough good chances to win two games, whereas Oxford have scored from two situations where you wouldn't expect a team to score, the first of which was very much down to our lack of defending.

The issue is how to fix it and that's the complicated part. Will a change of system make us more clinical? Will it mean we still manage to create loads of good chances whilst stopping the opposition from scoring on the rare occasion they get near our goal? I'm not convinced. It strikes me that because this has been going on for a while, even when we were winning games to some extent, it's become a chronic issue and a mental block. We are under pressure, much of it self inflicted, and it seems to be causing us to make small errors at both ends that are invariably being punished. It risks killing our season, but I don't see how throwing our toys out of the pram and calling for wholesale changes is going to help matters. It certainly won't do anything to address the actual problems we're facing, imo.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The issue? on 20:26 - Jan 23 with 1321 viewsPerublue

Fair question,but i must warn you and you do know this.. that there is no way you're going to get much feedback unless you first of all fave cheese and Pablo or kuqi us up.

Poll: Rugby World Cup Winner ?

The issue? on 20:26 - Jan 23 with 1313 viewsMcCall

The issue? on 20:19 - Jan 23 by Herbivore

Our issues by Herbivore 22 Jan 2023 8:30
It's not that we've been sussed out. It's not that we need to change the system. It's not that we need to sign more players. It is, very simply, that we do not take as many of our good chances as we should and we concede a higher proportion of chances against than we should. We have the lowest xG against in the league and by far the highest xG for. I know xG is far from perfect, but the xG stats suggest we should be pissing the league: https://footballxg.com/xg-league-tables/

The stats back up what we are seeing most weeks. Even yesterday when we were below par, we created enough good chances to win two games, whereas Oxford have scored from two situations where you wouldn't expect a team to score, the first of which was very much down to our lack of defending.

The issue is how to fix it and that's the complicated part. Will a change of system make us more clinical? Will it mean we still manage to create loads of good chances whilst stopping the opposition from scoring on the rare occasion they get near our goal? I'm not convinced. It strikes me that because this has been going on for a while, even when we were winning games to some extent, it's become a chronic issue and a mental block. We are under pressure, much of it self inflicted, and it seems to be causing us to make small errors at both ends that are invariably being punished. It risks killing our season, but I don't see how throwing our toys out of the pram and calling for wholesale changes is going to help matters. It certainly won't do anything to address the actual problems we're facing, imo.

Very good points. I don't get often these.days due to bad health but thats certainly the impression I get. I do wonder whether all these January signings will just confuse and make matters worse? I hope we.dont start chopping and changing all the time as I think we need a settled first eleven now more than ever?
The issue? on 20:29 - Jan 23 with 1291 viewsHerbivore

The issue? on 20:26 - Jan 23 by McCall

Very good points. I don't get often these.days due to bad health but thats certainly the impression I get. I do wonder whether all these January signings will just confuse and make matters worse? I hope we.dont start chopping and changing all the time as I think we need a settled first eleven now more than ever?

The system and core of the team are settled enough that we can rotate a few of the attacking players game to game without it really impacting performances. The new lads will hopefully ultimately add a bit of extra quality at both ends of the pitch. That's the hope. I worry that we might be cursed though.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The issue? on 20:33 - Jan 23 with 1269 viewsMcCall

The issue? on 20:29 - Jan 23 by Herbivore

The system and core of the team are settled enough that we can rotate a few of the attacking players game to game without it really impacting performances. The new lads will hopefully ultimately add a bit of extra quality at both ends of the pitch. That's the hope. I worry that we might be cursed though.

It's not so much us being cursed, we're poor in both boxes which is a recipe for under achieving!
The issue? on 20:46 - Jan 23 with 1204 viewsSenatorBlue

The issue? on 20:33 - Jan 23 by McCall

It's not so much us being cursed, we're poor in both boxes which is a recipe for under achieving!

Great post Herb. Exactly my take on it too.

You also can’t avoid feeling there’s a curse, which of course there’s not, because of the deflections going top bins and the like; but then you make your own luck and both players and fans right now get nervous last 15. Pre Charlton we saw out games with relative comfort, and often with a clean sheet. Right now clean sheets are as rare as unicorn poo.

Time to change this and get on a run, one game at a time.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2023 20:46]
The issue? on 20:53 - Jan 23 with 1142 viewsGiveusaWave

We should be fine against Morecambe though (copy from another post)

They aren't in-form away from home:

Last 10 games away from home=

Port Vale 1-0 Morecambe
Plymouth 2-1 Morecambe
Papa Jones Trophy (Lincoln win on penalties)
Lincoln 2-1 Morecambe
Carabao Cup - MK Dons 2-0 Morecambe
FA Cup- Sheffield Wednesday 2-0 Morecambe
Wycombe 1-1 Morecambe
Cheltenham 1-0 Morecambe
Papa Jones Trophy - Harrogate 2-1 Morecambe
Burton 1-1 Morecambe

Won- 0 Drawn-2 Lost- 8

Goals for - 6
Goals against- 15

They have been good recently at home but don't travel well.

Poll: If we sign one player in the Jan window....

Login to get fewer ads

The issue? on 21:01 - Jan 23 with 1095 viewsSwansea_Blue

The issue? on 20:33 - Jan 23 by McCall

We concede goals too easily l, but our defensive record is probably the least worrying of the ‘both boxes’ argument. It looks worst than it is because we’re gifting goals rather than teams having to work for them.

Our misses by the likes of Ladapo, Burns and Harkness have caused the real damage imo. We’re getting enough very good chances to win games twice over, even after conceding one or two.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The issue? on 21:01 - Jan 23 with 1092 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The issue? on 20:53 - Jan 23 by GiveusaWave

We should be fine against Morecambe though (copy from another post)

They aren't in-form away from home:

Last 10 games away from home=

Port Vale 1-0 Morecambe
Plymouth 2-1 Morecambe
Papa Jones Trophy (Lincoln win on penalties)
Lincoln 2-1 Morecambe
Carabao Cup - MK Dons 2-0 Morecambe
FA Cup- Sheffield Wednesday 2-0 Morecambe
Wycombe 1-1 Morecambe
Cheltenham 1-0 Morecambe
Papa Jones Trophy - Harrogate 2-1 Morecambe
Burton 1-1 Morecambe

Won- 0 Drawn-2 Lost- 8

Goals for - 6
Goals against- 15

They have been good recently at home but don't travel well.

A lot of very close defeats there.

It is really important we win tomorrow night as the games begin to run out. Currently 2 ppg from now until the end would leave us on 89 points which is touch and go for automatic in all probability. We don't want to be needing in excess of 2 ppg especially over a prolonged set of fixtures.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

The issue? on 21:03 - Jan 23 with 1084 viewsBondiBlue

I think the issue has become confidence. The pitch at oxford was obviously pretty hard but we looked terrified to get the ball down and play for pretty much the whole of the first half. The pressure applied to the incumbents in the new signings' positions could be reacted to in a positive or negative way depending on the individual. Hope most, if not all, up their games instead of going into their shells. Thought JD was good first half, for example. Second half i couldn't see him through the fog, so not sure.

Poll: Which would you accept?

The issue? on 21:27 - Jan 23 with 1008 viewsTalkingBlues

Don’t take enough chances
Concede too easily
Marcus Evans death by a 1000 cuts ruined club
Fans don’t sing loud enough
Turnstiles painted too late
Cursed by gypsies
Only spent another £10 million on players this season
Keeper is rubbish
Pitch needs replacing
Beer at the ground needs serving out of REAL kegs
We’re Ipswich, it’s what we do
There’s still “X” games to go, everything is fine
Manager is inexperienced and gamble hasn’t paid off

Pick 3 of the above, any 3 you like and you’ve got as a good an answer as anybody else on here

Poll: Is it wrong to take more pleasure from seeing Germany lose, than England win

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024