Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fanzone, parking & eateries 12:29 - Feb 8 with 2903 viewsfarkenhell

I'm bringing my son (11) to his first ITFC game on Saturday (together with his grandparents). I think I'm looking forward to it more than he is!

I posted a request for help with accommodation a couple of weeks ago and many thanks again to all who responded - it was greatly appreciated. Because I am useless in getting my arse in gear, our preferred choices (in town) were either full or priced out of my range, so we're booked into one of the Premier Inns on the A14, about 5 miles from the ground.

Anyhow, someone helpfully suggested the fanzone before the game, which I like the idea of (our seats are in Magnus as well). What sort of time would be good to get there? Also, linked to this - parking (and no Gatwick please!) Thinking of the Portman Road car park if (and it's a big if) we can get into town early enough. What time does that car park generally fill up when there's a capacity crowd? Any suggestions for a Plan B, particularly if that's full? Both of my parents have some mobility issues, so ideally no more than a 10/15 minutes or so walk to/from the ground. I was considering the park-and-ride at Tesco (we'll be coming in from the A14/A12 roundabout), but there were a couple of negative comments about reliability in my earlier thread and I don't want to risk being stuck without transport after the game.

Talking of which, I'm tasked with feeding a fussy 11 year old and a couple of even fussier septuagenarians in the evening. I was thinking of driving to the Waterfront (I've never been). Are there plenty of pizza/pasta places there? Is it advisable to book? Again, is there plenty of parking there? Any alternative suggestions?

Basically any suggestions to help make this a memorable experience for the boy (aside from 3 points, of course) will be gratefully received.
Fanzone, parking & eateries on 12:35 - Feb 8 with 2850 viewshype313

Fanzone is great, especially if you have children, lots for them to do and things to eat, i'd advise to get there for around 1.45 -2pm, think it shuts at 2.30.

Parking, outside the ground would be your best bet if you have family with mobility issues, I'd advise to nip to a bar for a good half hour after the game as it can be a nightmare to get out.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Fanzone, parking & eateries on 13:38 - Feb 8 with 2748 viewsfarkenhell

Fanzone, parking & eateries on 12:35 - Feb 8 by hype313

Fanzone is great, especially if you have children, lots for them to do and things to eat, i'd advise to get there for around 1.45 -2pm, think it shuts at 2.30.

Parking, outside the ground would be your best bet if you have family with mobility issues, I'd advise to nip to a bar for a good half hour after the game as it can be a nightmare to get out.

Thanks mate - do you know whether the players still sign autographs after the match for the kids that wait by the old ticket office?
Fanzone, parking & eateries on 13:58 - Feb 8 with 2691 viewsMatt_Netherlands

The station is quite handy for parking and is £6 all day so not too unreasonable. Only watch out would be it being busy getting back there after the game with a full away end. Probably a ten minute walk roughly.
Fanzone, parking & eateries on 14:14 - Feb 8 with 2657 viewsgringoblue

Hey, we do the odd long trip from Nottingham with the young'un and a fussy septuagenarian too.

Re: Parking, we've tried all sorts as we are prone to running late. Sometimes you can drive round and round Cardinal Park and find a spot. We tried pre-booking a space at The Station Hotel which was a total failure. The West End Road car park is a good one to try as well if you are heading to Magnus / fanzone.

The fanzone is great if it isn't tipping it down. They usually have some nice food trucks (wood fired pizza and Mexican last time I was there), the lunchtime PL game on a big screen and someone signing autographs (Cam Humphries and Super Frans on my previous visits).

Post game is nightmare to get away if you are parked close, but if you are going to try and get autographs then it should have cleared. On a tip from the mighty Dubtractor, after the Plymouth game we had booked at The Forge Kitchen on Duke Street. Parked at the Duke Orwell Quay Car park. The car park was pretty empty by 6pm when we got there.

Also, if your kid's first game you can let the club know and they get a certificate and stuff in the Fanzone, shake Bluey's hoof, a shout out on the p.a. / big screen. He might be too old to be bothered with that though!

https://www.itfc.co.uk/supporters/first-time-fans/
[Post edited 8 Feb 2023 14:15]
Fanzone, parking & eateries on 14:20 - Feb 8 with 2607 viewsfarkenhell

Fanzone, parking & eateries on 14:14 - Feb 8 by gringoblue

Hey, we do the odd long trip from Nottingham with the young'un and a fussy septuagenarian too.

Re: Parking, we've tried all sorts as we are prone to running late. Sometimes you can drive round and round Cardinal Park and find a spot. We tried pre-booking a space at The Station Hotel which was a total failure. The West End Road car park is a good one to try as well if you are heading to Magnus / fanzone.

The fanzone is great if it isn't tipping it down. They usually have some nice food trucks (wood fired pizza and Mexican last time I was there), the lunchtime PL game on a big screen and someone signing autographs (Cam Humphries and Super Frans on my previous visits).

Post game is nightmare to get away if you are parked close, but if you are going to try and get autographs then it should have cleared. On a tip from the mighty Dubtractor, after the Plymouth game we had booked at The Forge Kitchen on Duke Street. Parked at the Duke Orwell Quay Car park. The car park was pretty empty by 6pm when we got there.

Also, if your kid's first game you can let the club know and they get a certificate and stuff in the Fanzone, shake Bluey's hoof, a shout out on the p.a. / big screen. He might be too old to be bothered with that though!

That's really helpful. Thank you very much.
Fanzone, parking & eateries on 14:26 - Feb 8 with 2594 viewsCityBlue

as mentioned above, the fan zone WILL close at 2:30 and may be even earlier due to the large crowd expected (29k plus).
Accordingly, parking wherever you choose will be a right pain so park a bit further rout and walk or accept the jam at end of game.
Food wise, the fan zone has a good selection of food available as does a few concessions opposite the main club shop (the shop in the fan zone is small).
The waterfront is a good place to go for food and there is a Pizza express that you would be advisable to book a table for. The other eateries are non chain and therefore slightly more pricey but good quality.
I hope he enjoys his first experience of fortress Portman Road.

I T I D

Fanzone, parking & eateries on 14:28 - Feb 8 with 2585 viewsTractorCam

Fanzone, parking & eateries on 12:35 - Feb 8 by hype313

Although if you want to have food/drink in the fanzone, you would want to get there earlier than that as it will be packed with a capacity crowd.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Fanzone, parking & eateries on 14:39 - Feb 8 with 2565 viewsFreddies_Ears

Portman Road car park is likely to be full by 1.30pm. Station a good bet if you are late. Pay points are by the station entrance, not by the car park.
Login to get fewer ads

Fanzone, parking & eateries on 15:22 - Feb 8 with 2479 viewsfarkenhell

Thanks for all of the replies. Very helpful.
Fanzone, parking & eateries on 16:14 - Feb 8 with 2404 viewsBasingstokeBlue

Don't forget to register your son as a First Time Fan

and arrive early enough for him to collect his certificate from Bluey in the FanZone.

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

Fanzone, parking & eateries on 16:54 - Feb 8 with 2355 viewsTractorgirlforever

I think the weathers meant to be nice so i would get to the fanzone around 1.15, lots of kids activities.id park at the mermaid, just a 10 min walk to the ground and easy to get out of when heading back out. Have a great day.
Fanzone, parking & eateries on 16:57 - Feb 8 with 2353 viewsOldTractor

The best car park is the one in West End Road just across from Ipswich Crown Court. With such a large crowd you really need to be there before 1pm. Then walk around the front of the Court - good coffee stop at Cool Beanzs in Russell Road and then walk around to the Fan Zone. There is another not so well known option to park in the small car park diagonally opposite the Crown Court in front of the new hotel that is being built, This is the car park to the former gym and Staples store etc. A couple of matches ago I talked with a guy in charge of the area thinking that he was there to stop people parking however he explained that the spaces were available only for disabled people and those with mobility issues. Seemed very friendly and genuine.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2023 16:58]
Fanzone, parking & eateries on 20:45 - Feb 8 with 2083 viewsbluebudgie

re parking, my son-in-law owns a used car garage and it's situated opposite the council dump Portmans Walk (off Sir Alf Ramsey Way), IP1 2DW it's a 3-minute stroll to the Fanzone/ ground it's secure parking and he charges £7 . He is open from 12.30 onwards for parking. I hope that helps
Fanzone, parking & eateries on 20:50 - Feb 8 with 2079 viewsfarkenhell

Thanks all again. He's now booked in for the First Time Fan experience, including his name on the scoreboard at half time (following an impressively quick reply from the club this evening). Thank you for the helpful suggestions for parking and eating out in the evening. We're going to try to get to the fanzone as early as we can, just need the A14 to be kind to us. Can't wait for the weekend, it's like I'm 11 again, not the boy!
[Post edited 8 Feb 2023 20:53]
Fanzone, parking & eateries on 21:08 - Feb 8 with 2025 viewsBLUEBEAT

Will never forget the moment my lad walked up the steps and saw the inside of Portman Rd/the fans singing his first time x

Poll: W or W

Fanzone, parking & eateries on 21:14 - Feb 8 with 2009 viewsMatt_Netherlands

Fanzone, parking & eateries on 14:39 - Feb 8 by Freddies_Ears

Portman Road car park is likely to be full by 1.30pm. Station a good bet if you are late. Pay points are by the station entrance, not by the car park.

That really does sun up the shambles of a design which is Ipswich Station, doesn’t it!
Fanzone, parking & eateries on 14:39 - Feb 9 with 1768 viewsfarkenhell

Fanzone, parking & eateries on 21:08 - Feb 8 by BLUEBEAT

Will never forget the moment my lad walked up the steps and saw the inside of Portman Rd/the fans singing his first time x

Just did a bit of a double-take at this - when I read it first, I thought you said "the fans singing his name..."!!
Fanzone, parking & eateries on 17:44 - Feb 9 with 1657 viewsGrumpy_Old_Man

Fanzone, parking & eateries on 21:14 - Feb 8 by Matt_Netherlands

That really does sun up the shambles of a design which is Ipswich Station, doesn’t it!

I suggest you download both MiPermit & Paybyphone apps which will make paying for parking much easier for you. These cover the car parks at the station and around the ground.
Fanzone, parking & eateries on 21:48 - Feb 9 with 1581 viewsfarkenhell

Fanzone, parking & eateries on 17:44 - Feb 9 by Grumpy_Old_Man

I suggest you download both MiPermit & Paybyphone apps which will make paying for parking much easier for you. These cover the car parks at the station and around the ground.

I hadn't thought of that, thank you.
Fanzone, parking & eateries on 11:31 - Feb 10 with 1440 viewsHarlestonblue

Pizza Express on the Waterfront. Definitely book. I use both Park and Rides: Copdock and Martlesham. Also, Prezzo in the Buttermarket Centre for pizza and pasta. 10 minutes from the ground and close to P&R stops in Princes street and Civic Drive.
Fanzone, parking & eateries on 12:58 - Feb 10 with 1338 viewshoppy

Fanzone, parking & eateries on 14:14 - Feb 8 by gringoblue

I was going to say about the First Time Fan too, so good to see a couple of others have given the link already. A nice little touch from the club.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Fanzone, parking & eateries on 13:03 - Feb 10 with 1321 viewsfarkenhell

Fanzone, parking & eateries on 11:31 - Feb 10 by Harlestonblue

Pizza Express on the Waterfront. Definitely book. I use both Park and Rides: Copdock and Martlesham. Also, Prezzo in the Buttermarket Centre for pizza and pasta. 10 minutes from the ground and close to P&R stops in Princes street and Civic Drive.

Thank you. Pizza Express now booked!
Fanzone, parking & eateries on 10:36 - Feb 11 with 1136 viewsHarlestonblue

Fanzone, parking & eateries on 13:03 - Feb 10 by farkenhell

Thank you. Pizza Express now booked!

You are welcome! I hope you all enjoy your day.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024