Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Encouraging signs from Hirst and Broadhead 15:25 - Feb 18 with 4005 viewsIllinoisblue

The goals will come

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Encouraging signs from Hirst and Broadhead on 10:48 - Feb 19 with 732 viewsibbleobble

Encouraging signs from Hirst and Broadhead on 09:32 - Feb 19 by Bobbychase

I have a wry smile when I see people dismissing Hirst after a handful of games. Wonder if they are the same people who dismissed Kieffer Moore, who went on to play in the Premier League and at a World Cup, who didn't rate Chris Wood who is a Premiership striker, and who decided Ladapo was useless when he had a slow start to the season.

Learn from history.

Or maybe use your eyes to make a judgement of your own based on years of watching football and just have an opinion. He needs to sharpen up majorly in his finishing if he’s to emulate his dad. His movement is great but his finishing is poor.

I’d rather Ladapo at the moment with Hirst from the bench until the end of the season. There’s enough fire power between Chaplin, Ladapo and Broadhead to get us to the Championship.

And for the record, Kieffer Moore was dire here
Encouraging signs from Hirst and Broadhead on 11:46 - Feb 19 with 664 viewsHorsham

Encouraging signs from Hirst and Broadhead on 10:48 - Feb 19 by ibbleobble

Or maybe use your eyes to make a judgement of your own based on years of watching football and just have an opinion. He needs to sharpen up majorly in his finishing if he’s to emulate his dad. His movement is great but his finishing is poor.

I’d rather Ladapo at the moment with Hirst from the bench until the end of the season. There’s enough fire power between Chaplin, Ladapo and Broadhead to get us to the Championship.

My opinion based on years of watching football. I have learned that making an instant opinion isn't the best way. Players can come in hot and tail off and players can come in cold and improve.

The manager and recruitment team have wanted Hirst for a long time. As well as years of watching of football have 1/ years of experience in recruiting footballers, 2/ will have watched hours of Hirst playing, 3/ have played to a much higher level than me, 4/ researched the players character and fitness, 5/ seem to be fairly successful at what they do date taken over the sample size of their entire time at ipswich rather than the last few games....I think I could probably go on.

So unfortunately - and you won't persuade me otherwise that only time will tell but as long as the guy is pulling on the blue shirt then i'll be willing him to prove you wrong.

Also what is it - do we as fanbase seem to have a natural tendency not to like centre forwards over 6 feet tall? Murphy wasn't especially popular until his hot season, Scowcroft was often scapegoated, Ladapo mocked initially. I think the quality big number 9 is the holy grail!
Encouraging signs from Hirst and Broadhead on 12:20 - Feb 19 with 638 viewsWestcountryblue

Encouraging signs from Hirst and Broadhead on 08:49 - Feb 19 by franz_tyson

Maybe a bit early.... but Broadhead looks a level above Harness, Edwards and, dare I say it, Aluko.

He's direct like Edwards and is happy to run at defenders .... but doesn't do the fancy step-overs and seems to be sniffing for openings for himself and others. Better end-priduct advantage straight away over Edwards. Same as Aluko. Aluko's a lovely footballer - but much as I love drooling over his skills.... there usually isn't an end product. Broadheads already over-taken him with goals/assists. As for Harness.... not sure what's happened to him, but his first touch is terrible and he needs a goal. He looked sharp at the start of the season and I thought he'd be up there as top scorer.
Hirst is a bit fortunate to start ahead of Freddie.... but he does work hard. The thankless non-scoring, hard-working role of a McK number 9.

Aluko has contributed 0 assists and 0 goals this season. He last scored against Cambridge away last season. For me, he is miles off and i fully expect TJJ to start putting pressure on the likes of Harness and Edwards now he is nearing a return to fitness.
Encouraging signs from Hirst and Broadhead on 12:22 - Feb 19 with 633 viewsWestcountryblue

I agree re: Chaplin, Ladapo and Broadhead. Would like to see McKenna stick with them until the end of the season.
Encouraging signs from Hirst and Broadhead on 13:57 - Feb 19 with 599 viewsBobbychase

I am using my judgement of years of watching football. My judgement is that if you write a player off after a few games it often comes back to haunt you.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Encouraging signs from Hirst and Broadhead on 15:41 - Feb 19 with 558 viewsHerbivore

Broadhead looks absolute quality. Really good touch, very direct and showed yesterday he can pick a pass as well as strike a ball. Need to keep him fit as he has the potential to be a big player for us this season.

Hirst is a tricky one. He looks good at times and clearly has some ability but no doubt he looks quite rusty as well. If we're thinking he's one for the future and we intend to keep him then there's logic in giving him minutes and developing him, but if he is just a short term loan then it's questionable whether he's able to contribute enough in the short term. Currently he looks a downgrade on Ladapo.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2023 15:54]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Encouraging signs from Hirst and Broadhead on 16:04 - Feb 19 with 511 viewsDJR

Encouraging signs from Hirst and Broadhead on 12:22 - Feb 19 by Westcountryblue

I agree re: Chaplin, Ladapo and Broadhead. Would like to see McKenna stick with them until the end of the season.

I'd add a fit Luongo to that list.
Encouraging signs from Hirst and Broadhead on 18:17 - Feb 19 with 454 viewsHorsham

Encouraging signs from Hirst and Broadhead on 15:41 - Feb 19 by Herbivore

Broadhead looks absolute quality. Really good touch, very direct and showed yesterday he can pick a pass as well as strike a ball. Need to keep him fit as he has the potential to be a big player for us this season.

Hirst is a tricky one. He looks good at times and clearly has some ability but no doubt he looks quite rusty as well. If we're thinking he's one for the future and we intend to keep him then there's logic in giving him minutes and developing him, but if he is just a short term loan then it's questionable whether he's able to contribute enough in the short term. Currently he looks a downgrade on Ladapo.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2023 15:54]

I think re Hirst, minutes now may pay off before the end of the season and we have already seen the number 9 role here isn’t necessarily an easy one for new players to adapt to.

I give quite a lot of credence to McKenna’s comments that it is hard for new players to come in and adapt to our style/patterns of play etc. We are a bit different with the hybrid 3/4 at the the back and the asymmetrical 4-2-3-1 with the two 10’s etc, we’re quite dependent on coached plans being executed etc.
Login to get fewer ads

Encouraging signs from Hirst and Broadhead on 19:34 - Feb 19 with 429 viewsNutkins_Return

Encouraging signs from Hirst and Broadhead on 13:57 - Feb 19 by Bobbychase

I am using my judgement of years of watching football. My judgement is that if you write a player off after a few games it often comes back to haunt you.

Pompey fans were calling Hirst a carthorse early apart of the season.By the end of the season they were absolutely desperate to sign him.

He'll go on to have a good career.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024