Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tried getting into speedway. 19:02 - Mar 23 with 2572 viewsTheBoyBlue

I really have.

The Witches seem really good ambassadors for the town, great history, etc. Just can't get into anything that gets postponed at the first sign of rain, although I understand the safety reasons behind why. The new season has started with a postponement. Must be difficult to get excited about something that presumably stands more chance of getting called off than going ahead at this time of year.

Think I'll just stick with football.

Come on England!

Come on you Blues!

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Tried getting into speedway. on 19:07 - Mar 23 with 2528 viewsUB9Blue

It is a problem particularly as I travel from West London. Don't usually attend early season meetings because of potential postponements. Also I try and meet up with friends in town if it gets called off.
Do enjoy going though and hopefully this will be the Witches year after years in the title wilderness
Tried getting into speedway. on 19:10 - Mar 23 with 2503 viewshatch

Tried getting into speedway. on 19:07 - Mar 23 by UB9Blue

It is a problem particularly as I travel from West London. Don't usually attend early season meetings because of potential postponements. Also I try and meet up with friends in town if it gets called off.
Do enjoy going though and hopefully this will be the Witches year after years in the title wilderness

Fair commitment that.

I can’t quite justify that travel midweek for speedway but it’s a shame Swindon went under as that would have been easier from SW London.

Managed to catch Poole v Ipswich a few times before they disappeared from the Prem too.

Quite astonishing how many speedway teams are at the geographical extremities of the UK…!
Tried getting into speedway. on 19:13 - Mar 23 with 2484 viewsUB9Blue

Tried getting into speedway. on 19:10 - Mar 23 by hatch

Fair commitment that.

I can’t quite justify that travel midweek for speedway but it’s a shame Swindon went under as that would have been easier from SW London.

Managed to catch Poole v Ipswich a few times before they disappeared from the Prem too.

Quite astonishing how many speedway teams are at the geographical extremities of the UK…!

I think thats why the teams suffer, it is a lot of travelling to far flung corners for meetings that can be called off at the last minute.
Hoping to get to Oxford for a couple of meetings this season as its just up the A40
Tried getting into speedway. on 19:34 - Mar 23 with 2382 viewsITFC_Forever

I used to go all the time, believe it or not, me and my wife’s first date was at speedway.

Going back further still to the second half of the seventies, my Mum and Dad used to go to every meeting home and away, my earliest memories are watching the likes of John Louis and Billy Sanders.

But in the modern day, it’s a sport that is run by such an incompetent bunch, they make the EFL, FA, UEFA and FIFA look the model of professionalism.

It’s a sport that had missed a generation or two… the crowds are made of those who remain from the halcyon days of the seventies and early eighties, and it actually has a fairly decent young supporter base, helped no doubt by numerous kids go free offers. But the age bracket from twenties to early fifties are under represented.

There’s not enough riders to go round, and therefore many of the riders in the top two divisions ride for two clubs, one in each division.

You also get the top riders in the league who are far too good for the rest of them and leave them miles behind.

The sport has also suffered from tracks closing down, they often share their facilities with other sports such as stock cars and greyhounds etc, but they still don’t make enough money to make a profit and get bought by property developers.

In short, it’s a simple sport ruined by officialdom, combined with the modern day leaving it behind to some extent.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Tried getting into speedway. on 19:40 - Mar 23 with 2346 viewsTheBoyBlue

Tried getting into speedway. on 19:34 - Mar 23 by ITFC_Forever

I used to go all the time, believe it or not, me and my wife’s first date was at speedway.

Going back further still to the second half of the seventies, my Mum and Dad used to go to every meeting home and away, my earliest memories are watching the likes of John Louis and Billy Sanders.

But in the modern day, it’s a sport that is run by such an incompetent bunch, they make the EFL, FA, UEFA and FIFA look the model of professionalism.

It’s a sport that had missed a generation or two… the crowds are made of those who remain from the halcyon days of the seventies and early eighties, and it actually has a fairly decent young supporter base, helped no doubt by numerous kids go free offers. But the age bracket from twenties to early fifties are under represented.

There’s not enough riders to go round, and therefore many of the riders in the top two divisions ride for two clubs, one in each division.

You also get the top riders in the league who are far too good for the rest of them and leave them miles behind.

The sport has also suffered from tracks closing down, they often share their facilities with other sports such as stock cars and greyhounds etc, but they still don’t make enough money to make a profit and get bought by property developers.

In short, it’s a simple sport ruined by officialdom, combined with the modern day leaving it behind to some extent.

There was a time I thought it would become more mainstream with SKY behind it, but it doesn't seem to have happened.

Tried getting into speedway. on 20:17 - Mar 23 with 2267 viewsSwansea_Blue

I used to go to Foxhall Stadium all the time for whatever was on: speedway, bangers, whatever. I used to love it, but then I could cycle there on my bike and you could watch through the fence. That’s probably all changed now.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Tried getting into speedway. on 20:47 - Mar 23 with 2213 viewsClareBlue

It was huge in the North in the 70s and early 80s. I was at school in Bradford and the crowds were massive at Bradford and Hunslet in Leeds if I am remembering correctly. Went with my son for the first time in 30 years to Belle Vue last year as we were at a loose end in Manchester on the right night. It was OK but not that great to be frank. The crowd profile was mostly my age upwards with around 600 there I would guess, entry and a pint reasonable, 2 hours of entertainment, couple of crashes with no serious injury, some tactical subbing which I didn't understand, and some fanatical fans who dressed and talked the part. All in all OK for a week day night if local, but the days of 20k crowds won't be coming back from what I saw.
Tried getting into speedway. on 23:09 - Mar 23 with 1880 viewsTrequartista

Tried getting into speedway. on 20:47 - Mar 23 by ClareBlue

It was huge in the North in the 70s and early 80s. I was at school in Bradford and the crowds were massive at Bradford and Hunslet in Leeds if I am remembering correctly. Went with my son for the first time in 30 years to Belle Vue last year as we were at a loose end in Manchester on the right night. It was OK but not that great to be frank. The crowd profile was mostly my age upwards with around 600 there I would guess, entry and a pint reasonable, 2 hours of entertainment, couple of crashes with no serious injury, some tactical subbing which I didn't understand, and some fanatical fans who dressed and talked the part. All in all OK for a week day night if local, but the days of 20k crowds won't be coming back from what I saw.

Kenny Carter, Halifax and Bradford. So nearly world champion but ended in murder-suicide. Dunno about Leeds though, they closed in 1938.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Login to get fewer ads

Tried getting into speedway. on 07:31 - Mar 24 with 1659 viewsjontysnut

Tried getting into speedway. on 19:34 - Mar 23 by ITFC_Forever

I used to go back in the day as well. Started about 14, two buses and a long walk each way. I loved it. My dad made me a witch shaped programme board. I seem to remember that somewhere in the woods near Chantry/Belgium someone had made a cycle speedway track. Nearest track now is Sheffield.
Tried getting into speedway. on 08:26 - Mar 24 with 1545 viewsBloomBlue

Years ago I became obsessed with speedway, I really needed to put the brakes on but couldn't.
Tried getting into speedway. on 08:37 - Mar 24 with 1505 viewsBLUEBEAT

One of the most exciting speedway nights I went to was at Foxhall in the rain.

It was lashing down and absolute carnage.

I think it was against Hull.
[Post edited 24 Mar 2023 9:44]

Poll: W or W

Tried getting into speedway. on 09:30 - Mar 24 with 1422 viewslurcher

It is a summer sport, much like cricket it is always like this March and into April. I love speedway, results and performances aren't as life of death as football for me and I can appreciate the away sides riders. Everything about it is a bit more c'est la vie. It is a good year to follow the Witches they have a very strong side, highly likely that there wont ever be an opportunity to see such a decent side at Foxhall again.
[Post edited 24 Mar 2023 9:32]
Tried getting into speedway. on 09:33 - Mar 24 with 1393 viewsITFC_Forever

Tried getting into speedway. on 09:30 - Mar 24 by lurcher

It is a summer sport, much like cricket it is always like this March and into April. I love speedway, results and performances aren't as life of death as football for me and I can appreciate the away sides riders. Everything about it is a bit more c'est la vie. It is a good year to follow the Witches they have a very strong side, highly likely that there wont ever be an opportunity to see such a decent side at Foxhall again.

Probably the best Witches side since 1998.

Another thing that doesn't help speedway is the high turnover of riders at each club each year.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Tried getting into speedway. on 10:50 - Mar 24 with 1293 viewslurcher

Tried getting into speedway. on 09:33 - Mar 24 by ITFC_Forever

Probably the best Witches side since 1998.

Another thing that doesn't help speedway is the high turnover of riders at each club each year.

Yes it is.

The sport is trapped in a death cycle, it just has so many problems. Sadly most clubs will go to the wall over the coming years and there just won't be enough of them left to make a decent league. It is a real shame I go out to Poland 2-3 times a year and it really is something else out there big crowds, top riders and an exciting spectacle
Tried getting into speedway. on 11:21 - Mar 24 with 1240 viewsI_LOVE_GOLLOB

Tried getting into speedway. on 10:50 - Mar 24 by lurcher

Yes it is.

The sport is trapped in a death cycle, it just has so many problems. Sadly most clubs will go to the wall over the coming years and there just won't be enough of them left to make a decent league. It is a real shame I go out to Poland 2-3 times a year and it really is something else out there big crowds, top riders and an exciting spectacle

Thankfully there's been some improvements during the Winter with Emil, Bewley & Nicki p rejoining the league. Sadly, it's nowhere enough but it's small steps.

Poll: How would you kill a budgie?

Tried getting into speedway. on 21:48 - Mar 24 with 970 viewsClareBlue

Tried getting into speedway. on 23:09 - Mar 23 by Trequartista

Kenny Carter, Halifax and Bradford. So nearly world champion but ended in murder-suicide. Dunno about Leeds though, they closed in 1938.

Yes, Leeds is obviously a false early memory. I think I remember going to greyhounds next to the football stadium in Leeds in late 70s and it had some speedway history, but that might be another one from a compromised memory bank.
Tried getting into speedway. on 22:26 - Mar 24 with 912 viewsTheBoyBlue

Tried getting into speedway. on 08:26 - Mar 24 by BloomBlue

Years ago I became obsessed with speedway, I really needed to put the brakes on but couldn't.

Ha!

Tried getting into speedway. on 22:34 - Mar 24 with 863 viewsPhilTWTD

Tried getting into speedway. on 09:30 - Mar 24 by lurcher

On a retro speedway note, Nigel Flatman was at the Shrews game in the press box. Lives in Perth these days.
Tried getting into speedway. on 00:39 - Mar 25 with 783 viewsWhos_blue

I used to be a regular at Mildenhall Fen Tigers around the time they won the National League title. I stopped going through the late 80s, then went for a while during the 90s.
It was so different.
The West Row stadium used to be packed and the ITV "Big match" cameras were often there. The 3 or 4 team tournaments featuring Ipswich, Kings Lynn and Peterborough were great, but the main rivals were the Rye House Rockets.
Sadly, the numbers had dwindled and not a camera in sight.
It's been several years since I last went, but I might give it a try this season.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024