Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any Car Insurance Experts About? 10:58 - May 11 with 1634 viewsSkip_Intro

Hi all,
Does anyone on here have any experience of making a car insurance claim?
Last month I was in a car accident (nothing too serious) which was clearly not my fault. I was approaching a roundabout on a dual carriageway in the right hand lane going straight over the roundabout (2nd exit). The other party was in the left hand lane and attempted to take the 3rd exit turning right, turning into my car.
My insurers have advised that the other party's insurer has not responded to them ref liability and so I need to pay full excess to get the repairs made to my car.
Unfortunately I have no photos although the police did attend and both the other party and the police said that it was the other party's fault.
Do I really have to accept liability and pay the excess even though it clearly wasn't my fault?
Any advice from anyone in the know would be greatly appreciated.
Many Thanks
D
Any Car Insurance Experts About? on 11:31 - May 11 with 1553 viewswkj

Everywhere is different - I would be chasing up why the other insurer isn't responding. I do know we used to refund people their excess retroactively once fault was established (Used to work for RBS/Direct Line/Churchill). Though it is critical that the other company is chased up as it will count as a fault claim on your policy until liability is established.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Any Car Insurance Experts About? on 11:39 - May 11 with 1541 viewsSkip_Intro

Any Car Insurance Experts About? on 11:31 - May 11 by wkj

Everywhere is different - I would be chasing up why the other insurer isn't responding. I do know we used to refund people their excess retroactively once fault was established (Used to work for RBS/Direct Line/Churchill). Though it is critical that the other company is chased up as it will count as a fault claim on your policy until liability is established.

Thanks for your reply WKJ.
My insurance company has outsourced my claim to Enterprise who informed me that the other party's insurer has not responded. The have said that I need to pay the excess for repairs to proceed.
I have explained that I am not willing to pay and so they are returning the claim to my insurance company to deal with it.
I presume that I need to ask my insurers to chase the other party's insurers (which I have done and am waiting a response).
It just feels as though they are hoping that I will just pay the excess to avoid creating additional work for them - which I am not happy about.
Any Car Insurance Experts About? on 11:44 - May 11 with 1525 viewsPinewoodblue

Any Car Insurance Experts About? on 11:39 - May 11 by Skip_Intro

My insurance company has outsourced my claim to Enterprise who informed me that the other party's insurer has not responded. The have said that I need to pay the excess for repairs to proceed.
I have explained that I am not willing to pay and so they are returning the claim to my insurance company to deal with it.
I presume that I need to ask my insurers to chase the other party's insurers (which I have done and am waiting a response).
It just feels as though they are hoping that I will just pay the excess to avoid creating additional work for them - which I am not happy about.

The excess is your responsibility. You, or someone on your behalf, claim it back along with any other expenses you may have incurred from the insurers of the negligent party.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Any Car Insurance Experts About? on 11:48 - May 11 with 1517 viewsSkip_Intro

Any Car Insurance Experts About? on 11:44 - May 11 by Pinewoodblue

The excess is your responsibility. You, or someone on your behalf, claim it back along with any other expenses you may have incurred from the insurers of the negligent party.

Thanks for the reply - do I need to establish fault before paying it? If I don't do this surely my insurance company won't claim it back on my behalf?
Apologies for the stupid questions - the help is much appreciated!
Any Car Insurance Experts About? on 13:28 - May 11 with 1411 viewsPinewoodblue

Any Car Insurance Experts About? on 11:48 - May 11 by Skip_Intro

Thanks for the reply - do I need to establish fault before paying it? If I don't do this surely my insurance company won't claim it back on my behalf?
Apologies for the stupid questions - the help is much appreciated!

You are contracted to pay it. You have to establish fault to successfully claim it back.

Check if your policy includes legal expenses over, if it does the provider will deal with the recovery of the excess and any other costs incurred as a direct result of the negligence of the third party.

As a matter of interest which roundabout? Copdock roundabout is a notorious location for this sort of incident heading towards Ipswich on A12.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Any Car Insurance Experts About? on 13:30 - May 11 with 1406 viewswkj

Any Car Insurance Experts About? on 11:39 - May 11 by Skip_Intro

It is as Pinewood says, unfortunately the excess has to be paid. Though once liability is established to be the other motorist you will see refunds being arranged.
[Post edited 11 May 2023 13:31]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Any Car Insurance Experts About? on 16:32 - May 11 with 1313 viewsSkip_Intro

Thanks both - really appreciate your help. I have legal cover - just need to establish fault I guess.
It was at the Shell Garage roundabout at Woodbridge - I was going straight over and a guy on a moped went from the left hand lane across me to try to turn right. Luckily no-one was hurt which is the main thing!
Any Car Insurance Experts About? on 18:06 - May 11 with 1239 viewsHARRY10

Any Car Insurance Experts About? on 13:30 - May 11 by wkj

It is as Pinewood says, unfortunately the excess has to be paid. Though once liability is established to be the other motorist you will see refunds being arranged.
[Post edited 11 May 2023 13:31]

Not directly linked, but some interesting replies inthis thread.

Somewhile back I was advised to check the excess on my car insurance. Something I had not really considered before.

What does happen (with me anyway) when checking quotes is that to change from £400 to 0 voluntary insurance does not impact on the overall cost - maybe a few pounds at most.

The suggestion being that you should check this when next renewing your insurance - it may not seem important, until you are in the position of the OP.
Login to get fewer ads

Any Car Insurance Experts About? on 19:26 - May 11 with 1200 viewsbadadski

Without a witness you have no chance I’m afraid- 20 plus years insurance experience - 16 years In motor including claims-

The 3rd party company will not pay your company without proof and your company won’t chase as it would cost more to do so than settle the claim.

It’s horrible but it’s what it’s been like for ages

Apologies didn’t read all -

When the police attended did you get their details - reference number -
Like some has stated you pay the excess then insurance recovers it once fault has been established which with Police report stating it was third party you should be fine.

[Post edited 11 May 2023 19:34]
Any Car Insurance Experts About? on 19:49 - May 11 with 1171 viewsSkip_Intro

Any Car Insurance Experts About? on 19:26 - May 11 by badadski

Without a witness you have no chance I’m afraid- 20 plus years insurance experience - 16 years In motor including claims-

The 3rd party company will not pay your company without proof and your company won’t chase as it would cost more to do so than settle the claim.

It’s horrible but it’s what it’s been like for ages

Apologies didn’t read all -

When the police attended did you get their details - reference number -
Like some has stated you pay the excess then insurance recovers it once fault has been established which with Police report stating it was third party you should be fine.

[Post edited 11 May 2023 19:34]

Thanks for the reply. I have a police call reference number and the names and numbers of the officers that attended.
The insurance company told me that it would 'cost too much to contact the police and get their statements'...
Fingers crossed I guess...
Any Car Insurance Experts About? on 19:55 - May 11 with 1159 viewsDBaldy

Not wishing to contradict any of the responses so far, but from my experience (two non-fault claims in the last 5 years plus experience of working at a motor insurance broker) if the other party admit liability you won't / shouldn't have to pay your excess.

Sounds like that might not happen here but something to consider. FWIW Churchill were excellent in handling my most recent claim, after making the initial claim & a few phone calls, everything was basically taken care of for me. The fact that your claim has been outsourced unfortunately won't help you either.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024