Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Make sure you buy electric cars 11:16 - Aug 29 with 3501 viewschicoazul

And get a heat pump. And don’t drive cars in ULEZ zones. And don’t take any flights. And recycle. It’s very important and makes an enormous difference.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/aug/29/china-coal-plants-climate-goals-ca

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Make sure you buy electric cars on 11:29 - Aug 29 with 2782 viewsPowrigan

But us ruining our lives will make a massive difference!!!
Make sure you buy electric cars on 11:31 - Aug 29 with 2770 viewsKeno

you forget to add wash your baked beans tins out before spending £27k on a private jet before a day trip to France

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Make sure you buy electric cars on 11:46 - Aug 29 with 2710 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Kind of ironic how many of our electric vehicles are built over there from coal fired steel, then coal powered production line, and finally shipped 1,000’s of miles on very polluting container ships. Still you get to feel good with a green patch on your license plate, and some free spyware.
Make sure you buy electric cars on 12:34 - Aug 29 with 2559 viewscrouchendyachtclub

Make sure you buy electric cars on 11:46 - Aug 29 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Kind of ironic how many of our electric vehicles are built over there from coal fired steel, then coal powered production line, and finally shipped 1,000’s of miles on very polluting container ships. Still you get to feel good with a green patch on your license plate, and some free spyware.

Whereas ICE cars are all made in the UK with domestically produced, none coal fired steel?
Make sure you buy electric cars on 12:39 - Aug 29 with 2536 viewsgiant_stow

Maybe its not as bad as it looks? I read that China is pushing hard on renewable energy, but building these coal plants as backup. Apparently, they don't fancy Nuclear as a backup because of security concerns about the west blocking nuclear fuel imports in the event of conflict (cold or otherwise), whereas coal is plentiful there.

Perhaps such stations will see less and less use as renewable tech gets better and better?

Or perhaps I'm an over-hopeful, gullible fool? Who knows.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Make sure you buy electric cars on 12:47 - Aug 29 with 2482 viewsgiant_stow

hanging on to old cars and keeping them running doesn't fit with the consumerist dream I spose.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Make sure you buy electric cars on 12:53 - Aug 29 with 2463 viewsCrayonKing

Make sure you buy electric cars on 12:34 - Aug 29 by crouchendyachtclub

Whereas ICE cars are all made in the UK with domestically produced, none coal fired steel?

well yes, any new car has a big pollution footprint. I'm sure I read somewhere that the majority of a car's emissions over its lifetime are in its initial production [citation needed].

The most environmentally friendly option is usually to keep the car you already own for as long as possible
Make sure you buy electric cars on 13:28 - Aug 29 with 2367 viewsRozz

Make sure you buy electric cars on 12:34 - Aug 29 by crouchendyachtclub

I don't think they make cars out of ice. It would melt.
Login to get fewer ads

Make sure you buy electric cars on 13:42 - Aug 29 with 2322 viewsTractorBrew

On the flip side, I think I read from the same source recently that China produces more solar energy than the rest of the world combined, and is also the leading producer of wind power also. There are also some huge hydro generation points, but they normally involve flooding villages so not a great look. Think they also have almost 1,000 GW in the pipeline also, which dwarfs the numbers quoted here

Obviously it is madness that anyone wants to build coal power stations (or any fossil fuel based system), but they are a damn site more progressive then the UK is when it comes to investing in renewables.

Obviously we are the ones driving the demand for this power because we all need loads more cheap crap in our lives, and to replace our cars every 3 years. This will only ever be fixed by changing consumer behaviour. I have a friend that is on their 3rd EV, swapped every 2 years, and he is convinced he is being really green...
Make sure you buy electric cars on 13:45 - Aug 29 with 2313 viewsPowrigan

Make sure you buy electric cars on 13:42 - Aug 29 by TractorBrew

On the flip side, I think I read from the same source recently that China produces more solar energy than the rest of the world combined, and is also the leading producer of wind power also. There are also some huge hydro generation points, but they normally involve flooding villages so not a great look. Think they also have almost 1,000 GW in the pipeline also, which dwarfs the numbers quoted here

Obviously it is madness that anyone wants to build coal power stations (or any fossil fuel based system), but they are a damn site more progressive then the UK is when it comes to investing in renewables.

Obviously we are the ones driving the demand for this power because we all need loads more cheap crap in our lives, and to replace our cars every 3 years. This will only ever be fixed by changing consumer behaviour. I have a friend that is on their 3rd EV, swapped every 2 years, and he is convinced he is being really green...

I wouldn’t be seen dead in anything other than an up to 2 year old Bentley!!!
[Post edited 29 Aug 2023 13:53]
Make sure you buy electric cars on 14:09 - Aug 29 with 2248 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

“they are a damn site more progressive then the UK is when it comes to investing in renewables.”

Are you sure?

Renewable energy in the UK is currently >40pc, and projected to be around 70-80pc by 2030. China is currently around 30pc, and has targeted 40pc by 2030.
Make sure you buy electric cars on 14:41 - Aug 29 with 2155 viewsTractorBrew

Make sure you buy electric cars on 14:09 - Aug 29 by SuperKieranMcKenna

“they are a damn site more progressive then the UK is when it comes to investing in renewables.”

Are you sure?

Renewable energy in the UK is currently >40pc, and projected to be around 70-80pc by 2030. China is currently around 30pc, and has targeted 40pc by 2030.

I think we have missed an opportunity to really be at the forefront of renewables, the fact the Govt hasn't back / exploited the opportunities for areas like tidal power is just nuts. Also, there have been a lot of rejected wind and solar projects that really should have been getting approved if we were serious about this.

China is by no means a good benchmark, and have come from a far worse position. We should have kicked on massively in this space and just haven't. As a result we have missed a big opportunity to become a hub for renewables tech.
Make sure you buy electric cars on 14:48 - Aug 29 with 2125 viewsHerbivore

Make sure you buy electric cars on 14:09 - Aug 29 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Are you sure?

We include burning wood as being renewable in the UK though, our definition of renewable is not the same as what most people would consider to be green energy.

Edit - in fact, burning stuff that isn't coal or gas is our biggest source of 'renewable' energy: https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/environmentalaccounts/articles/aburningissuebioma
[Post edited 29 Aug 2023 14:52]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Make sure you buy electric cars on 14:49 - Aug 29 with 2112 viewsJ2BLUE

Yep, it's over. Too late to prevent the coming consequences.

We still have to try and minimise the impact though and keep throwing everything at it.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Make sure you buy electric cars on 15:00 - Aug 29 with 2058 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Make sure you buy electric cars on 14:48 - Aug 29 by Herbivore

We include burning wood as being renewable in the UK though, our definition of renewable is not the same as what most people would consider to be green energy.

Edit - in fact, burning stuff that isn't coal or gas is our biggest source of 'renewable' energy: https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/environmentalaccounts/articles/aburningissuebioma
[Post edited 29 Aug 2023 14:52]

Yes it’s proper greenwashing but it’s still only ~11pc of our energy mix and projected to decline.
Make sure you buy electric cars on 15:05 - Aug 29 with 2043 viewschicoazul

Ahhhh, so it’s our fault.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Make sure you buy electric cars on 15:06 - Aug 29 with 2026 viewsHARRY10

Poor righties, cranks to the last.

Because not everything changes overnight then it must be opposed. And dumb enough to think the comment about fossil fuel still being used in part of the chain is some earth shattering revelation.

Well, it is if your source is only ever the Mail and kGB news. The same argument that would stop the construction of solar panels and wind turbines.

The odd thing is that there is no rationale to their bleats. It goes deeper and touches on the righties need for some dark force, taking away their 'freedom', their individuality etc to be the cause. Eastasia, Farmer Jones, the Jews, the Devil, the EU, civil servants, the Yellow Peril. Each era hands the right with a new conjured up threat to sate his paranoia.

Something Trump and to a lesser extent Johnson tapped into. The stupidity that lies behind the thinking society can be run as an unconnected bunch of humans with no responsibility or dependence on others.

Rather like children who see regulation as an imposition, not an agreed level of behaviour that allows society to function.

This latest whinge is nothing new. Stuff that we now see as normal had similar cranks bleating out dire warnings of the consequences of the requirement to wear crash helmets, seat belts and the restrictions on places you can smoke. I've no doubt there were righties predicting the end of civilisation when measures were taken after the 'Great Smog' of 1952 and the 'Great Stink' 0f 1858.

Mind you, wait till Labour win the next election and confiscate your house and hand it to Albanians. Force you all onto bikes and confiscate your cars and hand them to Albanians. And no need to guess where your confiscated savings will end up. Why do you think Labour, Lib Dem and Green members are behind the illegal boats making illegal landings with illegal illegals on them ?
Make sure you buy electric cars on 15:07 - Aug 29 with 2037 viewsHerbivore

Make sure you buy electric cars on 15:00 - Aug 29 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Yes it’s proper greenwashing but it’s still only ~11pc of our energy mix and projected to decline.

Bit worrying that our main source of supposedly green energy still involves burning stuff though. It suggests we really aren't anywhere near as far along as we claim to be in moving to green energy. I know you've mentioned before your concerns about the use of cargo ships and we import most of our bio fuel, and given the volume that's adding a lot more to the carbon footprint of our main source of renewable energy.

Make sure you buy electric cars on 15:11 - Aug 29 with 2028 viewschicoazul

Make sure you buy electric cars on 15:06 - Aug 29 by HARRY10

Poor righties, cranks to the last.

Because not everything changes overnight then it must be opposed. And dumb enough to think the comment about fossil fuel still being used in part of the chain is some earth shattering revelation.

Well, it is if your source is only ever the Mail and kGB news. The same argument that would stop the construction of solar panels and wind turbines.

The odd thing is that there is no rationale to their bleats. It goes deeper and touches on the righties need for some dark force, taking away their 'freedom', their individuality etc to be the cause. Eastasia, Farmer Jones, the Jews, the Devil, the EU, civil servants, the Yellow Peril. Each era hands the right with a new conjured up threat to sate his paranoia.

Something Trump and to a lesser extent Johnson tapped into. The stupidity that lies behind the thinking society can be run as an unconnected bunch of humans with no responsibility or dependence on others.

Rather like children who see regulation as an imposition, not an agreed level of behaviour that allows society to function.

This latest whinge is nothing new. Stuff that we now see as normal had similar cranks bleating out dire warnings of the consequences of the requirement to wear crash helmets, seat belts and the restrictions on places you can smoke. I've no doubt there were righties predicting the end of civilisation when measures were taken after the 'Great Smog' of 1952 and the 'Great Stink' 0f 1858.

Mind you, wait till Labour win the next election and confiscate your house and hand it to Albanians. Force you all onto bikes and confiscate your cars and hand them to Albanians. And no need to guess where your confiscated savings will end up. Why do you think Labour, Lib Dem and Green members are behind the illegal boats making illegal landings with illegal illegals on them ?

Lol

Make sure you buy electric cars on 15:22 - Aug 29 with 2002 viewsHerbivore

Make sure you buy electric cars on 15:05 - Aug 29 by chicoazul

Ahhhh, so it’s our fault.

It's capitalism's fault primarily.

Make sure you buy electric cars on 15:35 - Aug 29 with 1968 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Had a quick scan through but it looks like one of those conspiracy threads so I will have nothing to do with it....I will sit back and wait for the grown ups to debunk it.

Now, off to buy some more stuff.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Make sure you buy electric cars on 15:55 - Aug 29 with 1915 viewsParsley

ULEZ is primarily to improve air quality in London and reduce the number of people dying because of air pollution
Make sure you buy electric cars on 16:02 - Aug 29 with 1880 viewsronnyd

Make sure you buy electric cars on 13:45 - Aug 29 by Powrigan

I wouldn’t be seen dead in anything other than an up to 2 year old Bentley!!!
[Post edited 29 Aug 2023 13:53]

A hearse ok?
Make sure you buy electric cars on 16:06 - Aug 29 with 1861 viewsTIB

At least cleaning baked bean tins allows Neymar to keep his private 747…

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Make sure you buy electric cars on 17:01 - Aug 29 with 1767 viewsPowrigan

Make sure you buy electric cars on 16:02 - Aug 29 by ronnyd

A hearse ok?

Just a lowly V8 Continental GT
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024