Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Morsy 09:23 - Sep 7 with 4600 viewsRobTheMonk

I genuinely don’t know how we got him to drop down to League 1. I genuinely think you could stick him into some Premier League midfields and he wouldn’t look out of place. I mean, he’ll be in our Prem midfield next season!

First month in and he’s already been recognised as one of the top performers which as a combative midfielder speaks volumes in my book.

I’ve not seen a player grab games like he did against Cardiff (although he didn’t have the best first half in that game) since probably Magilton. Second half, he was setting the standards driving forward, big tackles. Just wonderful to watch.

I think we all wish he was 5 years younger!
Morsy on 14:33 - Sep 8 with 655 viewsLion

Morsy on 01:47 - Sep 8 by Sharkey

"I think undoubtedly he is the best midfielder we have had since Matt Holland "

Undoubtedly? That seems harsh on Magilton.

Jim was quality but I don't think as important to the team as Sam. We are not the same team without him.

Poll: Is Blue Badger ( booooooooooooooo ) a cyber bully?

Morsy on 14:44 - Sep 8 with 640 viewsLion

Morsy on 09:39 - Sep 8 by Vegtablue

Very harsh on our Jim, who made at least 200 appearances in the top flight. I'm not old enough to fairly compare the two but I remember him being a giant for us.

As i said to Sharkey, Jim was quality especially in that semi final play off home leg against Bolton, an almost super-human performance. Yes they both played in central midfield but to be fair in very different roles. Sam couldn't finish or take a free kick like Jim. But Sam is pretty much super human every game. He is a colossus and i think at what he does, he is incredible.
[Post edited 8 Sep 2023 14:45]

Morsy on 14:46 - Sep 8 with 641 viewsitfcjoe

Morsy on 14:27 - Sep 8 by textbackup

I get the argument that Skuse had 10/11 seasons in the championship, but was he ever more than a 6.5/10 on a regular basis? I can’t say I saw it.

Morsy is better than him in ever aspect IMO.

I think it underrates Skuse because he's a player many (and I include myself in this) don't enjoy watching because most of what he does is unnoticed as it is just about good positioning etc.

I think had a prime Cole Skuse be in this squad now he'd be a major asset to us - his defensive positioning was always top class and with mcKenna coaching and style it would have taken the handbrake of his passing

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Morsy on 14:54 - Sep 8 with 622 viewsLion

Morsy on 14:46 - Sep 8 by itfcjoe

I think it underrates Skuse because he's a player many (and I include myself in this) don't enjoy watching because most of what he does is unnoticed as it is just about good positioning etc.

I think had a prime Cole Skuse be in this squad now he'd be a major asset to us - his defensive positioning was always top class and with mcKenna coaching and style it would have taken the handbrake of his passing

itfc Joe, Skusey was under-rated and under-appreciated by many, i bet not the by the defence though playing behind him who he shielded so well.But he was never the heartbeat of the team though like Sam. Skusey would be in the right place, put his foot in and generally give a simple pass to a team mate, often sideways or backwards but retained position for the team. Sam makes the whole team tick, he wins tackles he has no right to win, his energy is incredible, he hardly ever loses the ball, he has a lower centre of gravity and can turn on a 6 pence. He dictates the pace of the whole team, he is the drum beat, he generally passes forward. Sometimes you see 5 or 6 players in a bit of a scrum and out he skips with the ball....God i love him. ;0)

Morsy on 15:08 - Sep 8 with 599 views_clive_baker_

Morsy on 14:54 - Sep 8 by Lion

itfc Joe, Skusey was under-rated and under-appreciated by many, i bet not the by the defence though playing behind him who he shielded so well.But he was never the heartbeat of the team though like Sam. Skusey would be in the right place, put his foot in and generally give a simple pass to a team mate, often sideways or backwards but retained position for the team. Sam makes the whole team tick, he wins tackles he has no right to win, his energy is incredible, he hardly ever loses the ball, he has a lower centre of gravity and can turn on a 6 pence. He dictates the pace of the whole team, he is the drum beat, he generally passes forward. Sometimes you see 5 or 6 players in a bit of a scrum and out he skips with the ball....God i love him. ;0)

I think people's memory of Skuse might be a little clouded by the latter days. I think towards the end his legs were gone, he was probably past it and playing in a really really poorly equipped side.

There was a spell prior to that when he was pretty effective and instrumental to our success (relatively speaking) under Mick. He didn't have as much license as Morsy does now but then I don't think he was asked to. I never quite bought in to the hype that sometimes surrounded him, I remember a time on here when you couldn't be critical of him without being accused of 'not understanding his role'. I understand pretty well his role, but think at times he could've offered more, but like all players he had his weaknesses. That said, with Mick's budget he was probably about as good as we could've hoped for at the time.
Morsy on 15:24 - Sep 8 with 579 viewsLeaky

Morsy on 13:16 - Sep 7 by ElephantintheRoom

Money - and Town’s plan at the time as to recreate Wigan.

We don't currently have enough empty seats to recreate Wigan
Morsy on 15:25 - Sep 8 with 580 viewsLion

Morsy on 15:08 - Sep 8 by _clive_baker_

I think people's memory of Skuse might be a little clouded by the latter days. I think towards the end his legs were gone, he was probably past it and playing in a really really poorly equipped side.

There was a spell prior to that when he was pretty effective and instrumental to our success (relatively speaking) under Mick. He didn't have as much license as Morsy does now but then I don't think he was asked to. I never quite bought in to the hype that sometimes surrounded him, I remember a time on here when you couldn't be critical of him without being accused of 'not understanding his role'. I understand pretty well his role, but think at times he could've offered more, but like all players he had his weaknesses. That said, with Mick's budget he was probably about as good as we could've hoped for at the time.

Yeah Clive, Mick brought some great players to the club on a very poor budget - remember DJ Campbell? - he kept us competitive for a long time, we probably over achieved when you look at what he was up against and he took all the flack whilst Evans was nowhere to be heard. But it was in his interest because whilst our budget was one of the lowest, as I understand it he was one of, if not the best paid manager in the league. And he was too pragmatic for me. It was a little sad how it ended and after saving us when he came in he probably deserves to be remembered a little more fondly, i even considered putting him as our 5th best ever manager in that post that was going around the other day, but the football was generally turgid to watch, wasn't it, whilst Joe Royle football was great entertainment and football whilst a results business is supposed to be entertainment, like we have now!

Morsy on 19:02 - Sep 8 with 509 viewsburnbudgiesburn

Speaking of the man, Morsy came on in injury time for Egypt playing about 6 minutes. Enough time for him to get a foul in.
Login to get fewer ads

Morsy on 11:18 - Sep 11 with 361 viewsLion

Morsy on 19:02 - Sep 8 by burnbudgiesburn

Speaking of the man, Morsy came on in injury time for Egypt playing about 6 minutes. Enough time for him to get a foul in.

Good old Sam ;0)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024