Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Can anyone explain why thats offside when Beto intentionally plays the ball? (n/t) 16:54 - Sep 17 with 1971 viewsSimonds92

Can anyone explain why thats offside when Beto intentionally plays the ball? (n/ on 16:55 - Sep 17 with 1964 viewsSitfcB

Bizarre. Even without that I don’t think there’s an offside.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Can anyone explain why thats offside when Beto intentionally plays the ball? (n/ on 17:00 - Sep 17 with 1924 viewsLankHenners

Well he doesn't intentionally play it though really, just sticks a leg out to block the pass and it rebounds all the way through to Nketiah.

Neville is so stupid going on about the lines and angles, just a total misunderstanding about how they work from someone who should (and given he's the co-comm, needs to) know better.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Can anyone explain why thats offside when Beto intentionally plays the ball? (n/ on 17:14 - Sep 17 with 1871 viewsSimonds92

Can anyone explain why thats offside when Beto intentionally plays the ball? (n/ on 17:00 - Sep 17 by LankHenners

Well he doesn't intentionally play it though really, just sticks a leg out to block the pass and it rebounds all the way through to Nketiah.

Neville is so stupid going on about the lines and angles, just a total misunderstanding about how they work from someone who should (and given he's the co-comm, needs to) know better.

He makes an intentional movement towards the ball while Gabriel passes it backwards. There's no way that should be given as offside, it's mad.
Can anyone explain why thats offside when Beto intentionally plays the ball? (n/ on 17:24 - Sep 17 with 1817 viewsLankHenners

Can anyone explain why thats offside when Beto intentionally plays the ball? (n/ on 17:14 - Sep 17 by Simonds92

He makes an intentional movement towards the ball while Gabriel passes it backwards. There's no way that should be given as offside, it's mad.

That doesn't mean he played it intentionally.

Can anyone explain why thats offside when Beto intentionally plays the ball? (n/ on 17:30 - Sep 17 with 1791 viewsFtnfwest

Not sure I understand this one as regardless of what Beto does, Gabriel is playing the ball sideways, not forward anyway. He’s certainly not trying to find nketiah
Can anyone explain why thats offside when Beto intentionally plays the ball? (n/ on 17:34 - Sep 17 with 1770 viewslongtimefan

Can anyone explain why thats offside when Beto intentionally plays the ball? (n/ on 17:30 - Sep 17 by Ftnfwest

Not sure I understand this one as regardless of what Beto does, Gabriel is playing the ball sideways, not forward anyway. He’s certainly not trying to find nketiah

It was marginal but the ball goes slightly forward not sideways. Correct decision for me given the current interpretation of the law, not that I necessarily agree with that interpretation!
Can anyone explain why thats offside when Beto intentionally plays the ball? (n/ on 17:37 - Sep 17 with 1742 viewsSimonds92

Can anyone explain why thats offside when Beto intentionally plays the ball? (n/ on 17:24 - Sep 17 by LankHenners

Fair enough, I guess the instinctive stretching aspect covers this scenario, thanks!
Can anyone explain why thats offside when Beto intentionally plays the ball? (n/ on 23:47 - Sep 17 with 1515 viewsberkstractorboy

Can anyone explain why thats offside when Beto intentionally plays the ball? (n/ on 17:24 - Sep 17 by LankHenners

If he isn't intentionally trying to play the ball he shouldn't stick his leg out. the officials all collectively got this wrong.
Login to get fewer ads

Can anyone explain why thats offside when Beto intentionally plays the ball? (n/ on 00:06 - Sep 18 with 1484 viewsLankHenners

Can anyone explain why thats offside when Beto intentionally plays the ball? (n/ on 23:47 - Sep 17 by berkstractorboy

If he isn't intentionally trying to play the ball he shouldn't stick his leg out. the officials all collectively got this wrong.

No, because by the rules (whether you think they're good or not) sticking your leg out to block a pass in that manner doesn't count as 'intentionally playing the ball'.

Can anyone explain why thats offside when Beto intentionally plays the ball? (n/ on 07:29 - Sep 18 with 1379 viewsWeWereZombies

It's because of the #Be Too movement...sorry, had to get that one out of my system or it will have hung around all day.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Can anyone explain why thats offside when Beto intentionally plays the ball? (n/ on 08:21 - Sep 18 with 1322 viewsSwansea_Blue

Can anyone explain why thats offside when Beto intentionally plays the ball? (n/ on 17:14 - Sep 17 by Simonds92

“It was not a case of instinctive stretching, jumping, or a limited movement that achieved limited contact/control”.

So completely clear. He didn’t ’deliberately play’ the ball, he just kicked it. It’s completely different

I look forward to them not crediting goals to players who’ve stuck out a leg/head instinctively.

I wonder what Brian Clough would make of today’s rubbish.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Can anyone explain why thats offside when Beto intentionally plays the ball? (n/ on 08:25 - Sep 18 with 1317 viewsJakeITFC

Can anyone explain why thats offside when Beto intentionally plays the ball? (n/ on 17:30 - Sep 17 by Ftnfwest

Weirdly, I’m not sure you have to pass the ball forward for a player to be offside. Think I remember an odd one before with a short corner catching someone and it being controversial in that regard.
Can anyone explain why thats offside when Beto intentionally plays the ball? (n/ on 08:32 - Sep 18 with 1302 viewsWickets

That's what I could not understand Gabriel does not play the ball forward !
Can anyone explain why thats offside when Beto intentionally plays the ball? (n/ on 08:36 - Sep 18 with 1287 viewsredrickstuhaart

Can anyone explain why thats offside when Beto intentionally plays the ball? (n/ on 08:32 - Sep 18 by Wickets

That's what I could not understand Gabriel does not play the ball forward !

The answer is "because they broke and over complicated the offside rule (unecessarily) to appease bad pundits who didn't understand it and who couldn't grasp the essential role of a referee exercising judgment"

See also "handball".
Can anyone explain why thats offside when Beto intentionally plays the ball? (n/ on 09:20 - Sep 18 with 1259 viewsberkstractorboy

Can anyone explain why thats offside when Beto intentionally plays the ball? (n/ on 00:06 - Sep 18 by LankHenners

No, because by the rules (whether you think they're good or not) sticking your leg out to block a pass in that manner doesn't count as 'intentionally playing the ball'.

Yes its the Laws that are wrong it's nonsense not to call that deliberate. A team penalised for a ball going absolutely nowhere near where it was being played. Football has become such nonsense now.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2023 9:22]
Can anyone explain why thats offside when Beto intentionally plays the ball? (n/ on 10:14 - Sep 18 with 1209 viewsLankHenners

Can anyone explain why thats offside when Beto intentionally plays the ball? (n/ on 09:20 - Sep 18 by berkstractorboy

Yes its the Laws that are wrong it's nonsense not to call that deliberate. A team penalised for a ball going absolutely nowhere near where it was being played. Football has become such nonsense now.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2023 9:22]

That specific scenario is a bit odd (and rare) but the rules are there to stop goalhanging essentially. Otherwise you're saying you'd be happy to see someone stick out a leg to block a shot or cross, have the ball bounce through to someone in the 6 yard box way beyond the line of defence and score, which would seem very unfair to me.

Can anyone explain why thats offside when Beto intentionally plays the ball? (n/ on 11:06 - Sep 18 with 1179 viewsberkstractorboy

Can anyone explain why thats offside when Beto intentionally plays the ball? (n/ on 10:14 - Sep 18 by LankHenners

That specific scenario is a bit odd (and rare) but the rules are there to stop goalhanging essentially. Otherwise you're saying you'd be happy to see someone stick out a leg to block a shot or cross, have the ball bounce through to someone in the 6 yard box way beyond the line of defence and score, which would seem very unfair to me.

No not advocating goalhanging but you get my point for that scenario a team should not be penalised as they still had work to do to get the goal.

Everton are stealing a living in the EPL I am glad the right result at the end.
Can anyone explain why thats offside when Beto intentionally plays the ball? (n/ on 11:23 - Sep 18 with 1139 viewsLankHenners

Can anyone explain why thats offside when Beto intentionally plays the ball? (n/ on 11:06 - Sep 18 by berkstractorboy

No not advocating goalhanging but you get my point for that scenario a team should not be penalised as they still had work to do to get the goal.

Everton are stealing a living in the EPL I am glad the right result at the end.

Yeah I agree it's a bit strange and seems harsh considering the circumstances but to rule out more obvious things like goal hanging it'll throw up something like this once in a while where the same rules apply.

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024