Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
HS2 Embarassment 16:12 - Oct 5 with 3515 viewsblueasfook

There ought to be a national enquiry into this monumental f*** up. How can we undertake future large infrastructure projects seriously without the risk of them running massively over-budget and ultimately being abandoned.

We need to thoroughly understand why this project has massively failed, learn lessons and ensure future projects are delivered (reasonably) on-time and budget.

If I was Keir, I'd be all over this as a huge stick with which to beat the govt.

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

HS2 Embarassment on 08:47 - Oct 6 with 760 viewsDJR

HS2 Embarassment on 08:19 - Oct 6 by redrickstuhaart

That is really quite disingenuous. To oppose it long beforehand does not mean, for one moment, that he is opposed to it now, when huge amounts of time and cash have been expended.

To insinuate that that is the reason he won't commit to reversing the decision is just misleading. Of course you can't commit to reversing this sort of decision. The cost of restarting a project which has been closed down would be enormous, the money which has been allocated will have been spent or moved elsewhere. Who knows how much would have been reversed by election time, land sold off, landscaping reversed, key staff paid off etc etc. Absolutely impossible, at this stage, to make such a committment.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2023 8:24]

I'm not so sure I fully buy the argument that it would be impossible to restart, if there were the political will. But I don't think either party has the political will, and I am sure Labour are relieved that it is the Tories, not them, that cancelled it because the Tories will get the blame.
HS2 Embarassment on 09:08 - Oct 6 with 725 viewsElderGrizzly

HS2 Embarassment on 08:24 - Oct 6 by GlasgowBlue

And it wouldn’t surprise me to see Sunak use money earmarked for HS2 as pre election bribes over the next year and a bit.

That's exactly what he is doing with the whole "Northern Rail" announcement he made on Wednesday.

Ely, which isn't anywhere near the North, has been given about £30m for a junction improvement. Money he had previously said no to about 6 months ago.
The MP conveniently is one of his closest allies and in a vulnerable position for her seat.

Lee Anderson's constituency has been given £90m across two different funding packages.

The 'bribes' have already started.
HS2 Embarassment on 09:10 - Oct 6 with 714 viewsElderGrizzly

HS2 Embarassment on 08:47 - Oct 6 by DJR

I'm not so sure I fully buy the argument that it would be impossible to restart, if there were the political will. But I don't think either party has the political will, and I am sure Labour are relieved that it is the Tories, not them, that cancelled it because the Tories will get the blame.

Sunak has already started to undo the legislation that compulsory purchased land and buildings on the first bit from Birmingham to Manchester.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/oct/05/sunaks-spiteful-sale-of-land-int

So i'm sure they *could* undo it, but it would take years and years of further legal wrangling for very little return in the end.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2023 9:11]
HS2 Embarassment on 09:22 - Oct 6 with 695 viewsDJR

HS2 Embarassment on 09:10 - Oct 6 by ElderGrizzly

Sunak has already started to undo the legislation that compulsory purchased land and buildings on the first bit from Birmingham to Manchester.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/oct/05/sunaks-spiteful-sale-of-land-int

So i'm sure they *could* undo it, but it would take years and years of further legal wrangling for very little return in the end.

It strikes me that the situation is maybe not so clearcut as the article suggests, given this.

https://inews.co.uk/news/government-bought-house-hs2-line-rishi-sunak-cancelled-

We are, after all, talking about a project that wouldn't be completed for decades, and with there only being one year to the next election.

But there is clearly no political will on the part of those at the top of Labour Party for the project.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2023 9:23]
HS2 Embarassment on 09:30 - Oct 6 with 677 viewsElderGrizzly

HS2 Embarassment on 09:22 - Oct 6 by DJR

It strikes me that the situation is maybe not so clearcut as the article suggests, given this.

https://inews.co.uk/news/government-bought-house-hs2-line-rishi-sunak-cancelled-

We are, after all, talking about a project that wouldn't be completed for decades, and with there only being one year to the next election.

But there is clearly no political will on the part of those at the top of Labour Party for the project.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2023 9:23]

I agree that the money is better invested nationally, if it really is new money and it is invested in what they say it will be.

HS2 as planned originally made a lot of sense. The shell we have been left with clearly doesn't.
HS2 Embarassment on 10:08 - Oct 6 with 646 viewsleitrimblue

HS2 Embarassment on 09:10 - Oct 6 by ElderGrizzly

Surely any future government could just CPO the land again?
Archaeological Consultants in both England and Ireland have already received 10,s of millions for geophysical surveys, desk top studies etc for the stretch from Birmingham to Manchester. I'm sure the government as also wasted the same or even more money on geological and environmental surveys/reports for the sections that will never be completed.
There is also the issue of contracts that have already been signed for the sections that will no longer be completed.
The money wasted is just incredible
HS2 Embarassment on 10:26 - Oct 6 with 630 viewsHelp

Be interesting to see who buys the land and properties acquired by the government that are now being sold off, and what profit/development is made by the purchasers.
HS2 Embarassment on 10:44 - Oct 6 with 619 viewsblueasfook

HS2 Embarassment on 10:26 - Oct 6 by Help

Be interesting to see who buys the land and properties acquired by the government that are now being sold off, and what profit/development is made by the purchasers.

I imagine tory party supporters (who also happen to be developers) are being lined up for bargain land purchases as we speak.

It's all very depressing and a huge embarrassment to this country. Maybe we should bring in the French or the Chinese to show us how to do large rail projects.

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Login to get fewer ads

HS2 Embarassment on 11:16 - Oct 6 with 589 viewsSwansea_Blue

HS2 Embarassment on 19:17 - Oct 5 by Plums

This is a good explanation:

That's an interesting little piece. No surprise at all to hear someone suggest that it began going wrong when Cameron and Johnson started meddling for their own benefit. That's very much their modus operandii - self- or party- interest above the greater good (what's that in Latin? It should be their motto).

There is a positive to all of this in that some areas of pristine woodland and countryside will now be left alone. But overall what a cluster**** politically. Like many of their activities over the last decade or so it highlights the practical and financial incompetence of the UK Government.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2023 11:25]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024