Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
4-0 win against Norwich in 1978 23:59 - Oct 5 with 1897 viewsCopfordBlue

Anyone remember it and have any memories of the game?

Poll: Most enjoyable calendar year as an Ipswich supporter

4-0 win against Norwich in 1978 on 08:10 - Oct 6 with 1740 viewsDJR

I would have been there but can't remember it. Then again, beating Norwich in those days was pretty commonplace, so maybe that's why it doesn't stick in the memory.
4-0 win against Norwich in 1978 on 08:45 - Oct 6 with 1709 viewsLord_Lucan

4-0 win against Norwich in 1978 on 08:10 - Oct 6 by DJR

I would have been there but can't remember it. Then again, beating Norwich in those days was pretty commonplace, so maybe that's why it doesn't stick in the memory.

Same here, I would have been there but I don't really remember it.

Norwich idiots have this thing where they spell Ipsw-1-5-ch something like that because of their 5 - 1 win against us.

Always baffled me as I have seen us beat then 5 - 0 twice.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

4-0 win against Norwich in 1978 on 09:03 - Oct 6 with 1688 viewswoodbridge_blue

4-0 win against Norwich in 1978 on 08:10 - Oct 6 by DJR

Same goes for me too, regular beatings of Norwich at Portman Road in the 70s combined with heavy pre-match sessions have tended to cloud the memory somewhat.

Would certainly have been there in some capacity though.
4-0 win against Norwich in 1978 on 09:19 - Oct 6 with 1674 viewsNthQldITFC

4-0 win against Norwich in 1978 on 09:03 - Oct 6 by woodbridge_blue

Same goes for me too, regular beatings of Norwich at Portman Road in the 70s combined with heavy pre-match sessions have tended to cloud the memory somewhat.

Would certainly have been there in some capacity though.

Or incapacity?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

4-0 win against Norwich in 1978 on 09:39 - Oct 6 with 1650 viewswoodbridge_blue

4-0 win against Norwich in 1978 on 09:19 - Oct 6 by NthQldITFC

Or incapacity?

More than likely.

Vague memory coming back having checked on Pride of Anglia, it was an Easter Monday game at the end of March.

Only thing I can clearly recall is that it was unseasonably cold.
4-0 win against Norwich in 1978 on 09:52 - Oct 6 with 1631 viewsNBVJohn

I remember it vividly - I was the mascot! In those days there was only one mascot per game. It was a really special day for me.

I took a penalty against Paul Cooper in the Churchman’s goal, and met heroes like Paul Mariner, Mick Mills, Brian Talbot and Allan Hunter.

I still have the two shilling (10p by that time but many pre-decimal coins were still in use) that the ref used for the toss, and have a picture on my home office wall of me leaving the pitch.

The one and only time my mum ever set foot inside Portman Road.

Cup fever had well and truly taken hold by now - Wembley was beckoning!

A very happy and memorable day. Thank you for the excuse to reminisce!

Beating Norwich was a relatively routine affair at this time.
4-0 win against Norwich in 1978 on 09:54 - Oct 6 with 1627 viewstextbackup

4-0 win against Norwich in 1978 on 08:45 - Oct 6 by Lord_Lucan

Same here, I would have been there but I don't really remember it.

Norwich idiots have this thing where they spell Ipsw-1-5-ch something like that because of their 5 - 1 win against us.

Always baffled me as I have seen us beat then 5 - 0 twice.

The flag they held up at the playoff game, with ‘9-2’ on it… up there with stupidest things I’ve seen in a football ground

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

4-0 win against Norwich in 1978 on 10:34 - Oct 6 with 1596 viewsBobbychase

4-0 win against Norwich in 1978 on 09:54 - Oct 6 by textbackup

The flag they held up at the playoff game, with ‘9-2’ on it… up there with stupidest things I’ve seen in a football ground

When you have very little to cling to, you cling to it tight.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Login to get fewer ads

4-0 win against Norwich in 1978 on 10:57 - Oct 6 with 1572 viewsBrettenhamBlue

4-0 win against Norwich in 1978 on 10:34 - Oct 6 by Bobbychase

When you have very little to cling to, you cling to it tight.

Worth remembering that they have won the Milk Cup, beaten Bayern in a European fixture and won the Mr Clutch Cup,

MMcCarthyisaGod
Poll: Favourite ITFC victory of 2018?

4-0 win against Norwich in 1978 on 13:10 - Oct 6 with 1492 viewsCopfordBlue

4-0 win against Norwich in 1978 on 09:52 - Oct 6 by NBVJohn

I remember it vividly - I was the mascot! In those days there was only one mascot per game. It was a really special day for me.

I took a penalty against Paul Cooper in the Churchman’s goal, and met heroes like Paul Mariner, Mick Mills, Brian Talbot and Allan Hunter.

I still have the two shilling (10p by that time but many pre-decimal coins were still in use) that the ref used for the toss, and have a picture on my home office wall of me leaving the pitch.

That’s great. Thanks for sharing.

Poll: Most enjoyable calendar year as an Ipswich supporter

4-0 win against Norwich in 1978 on 13:39 - Oct 6 with 1460 viewsBluespeed225

I was 11, remember it vividly. Stood against wall at front of West Stand, watching the antics of the North. A young T.S. climbed onto the shoulder height dividing barriers we had then, produced a Norwich scarf, set light to it, twirled it around and threw it into their bit! On the way home with my dad, who lived on Norwich road, on from The Punch, we were walking along Waterloo Road, 3 Norwich lads drinking cans of coke sat on the wall of that church that fronts onto Chevalier street. Yell goes up behind us and a group of lads run at them, I'm ushered to one side. Two leg it in different directions, one runs into the corner shop (now a house), holding the door shut as 2 lads kick seven bells out of it. I was whisked off up the road, but I've often wondered dhow that ended up! Things you remember! The win more or less made us safe from relegation, the semi just round the corner.
4-0 win against Norwich in 1978 on 14:55 - Oct 6 with 1401 viewsRadlett_blue

4-0 win against Norwich in 1978 on 09:52 - Oct 6 by NBVJohn

Still rather annoying that we haven't beaten the Budgies in 12 attempts over the last 14 years. Conceding that late equaliser in February 2018 still rankles.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

4-0 win against Norwich in 1978 on 21:50 - Oct 6 with 1278 viewspatrickswell

The report from In Quest of Glory - Ipswich Town under Bobby Robson by John Eastwood and Tony Moyse reads as follows:

Town rediscovered their sparkle to overwhelm Norwich. They scored four and could have had more as they tore the Canaries apart. Paul Mariner, although he didn’t score, was the star of a classy all-round show, establishing complete mastery over Welsh international David Jones and crashing a first half drive against the bar.

Ipswich - Cooper, Burley, Mills, Talbot, Hunter, Beattie, Osborne (Lambert 74), Wark, Mariner, Geddis & Woods.
Norwich (manager John Bond) Hansbury, Ryan, Sullivan, McGuire (Sugget 60), Jones, Powell, Neighbour, Downs, Paddon, Reeves & Robson.

Goals - TALBOT (12 & 32), GEDDIS (62), MILLS (79)

Referee - Mr K Styles (Barnsley)
Att: 29, 989
4-0 win against Norwich in 1978 on 08:25 - Oct 7 with 1149 viewsWeWereZombies

I went to every home game that season (but didn't get in amongst the first fifteen thousand (?) for the Manchester United game because I had a look at the queue at the ticket office when the tickets went on sale and decided that it was too long, thus missing out on a voucher and having to queue sixteen hours overnight for a Cup Final ticket...) so I must have been there but, as others have said, have no memory of it. I think it was coping with the end of my long term teenage / early twenties relationship rather than the beer i my case. That and we were all preoccupied with the upcoming semi-final so, for once, the local derby was a sideshow.

Interesting that the side that day was the same as for the Final, and that Lambert came on just a few more minutes before he did in the Final.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024