Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Parachute Payments... 08:26 - Oct 6 with 5838 viewsBlueBoots

...just checked out of curiousity, and didn't realise how ridiculous they've become (teams relegated last year will receive £44million in 2023-24, £36million in 2024-25 and £16million in 2025-26)

That sort of money is an insane advantage in this division, both in terms of spending power on new players, and the wages they can pay. I think relegated teams should have the option of how much they receive in parachute payments at the start the season, but at a penalty...a one point deduction for every £4m they accept (which would mean if teams relegated last season chose to accept the full amount, they would start the season on -11 points in 2023-24, -9 points in 2024-25 and -4 points in 2025-26) So as an example, Leeds could have chosen to start this season with a £24m payment rather than £44m, but start the season on -6 points. Any money the relegated clubs don't claim would be divided equally between the other 21 clubs in the division.

Obviously never going to happen, but would make for a much more level playing field at the start of the season and reduce the number of clubs yo-yoing between the divisions more from financial advantage rather than being particularly well run, and encourage teams who are promoted to run their clubs in a more sustainable way rather than just throwing money at staying in the Prem. That's my 2p's worth...

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Parachute Payments... on 18:53 - Oct 6 with 942 viewsPinewoodblue

The thing that annoys me is that when a team is promoted back to the Premier League the money ringfenced to be paid goes back into Premier League kitty instead of being shared amongst the Football League e club as an enhanced solidarity payment.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Parachute Payments... on 19:25 - Oct 6 with 911 viewsBlueBoots

Parachute Payments... on 18:53 - Oct 6 by Pinewoodblue

The thing that annoys me is that when a team is promoted back to the Premier League the money ringfenced to be paid goes back into Premier League kitty instead of being shared amongst the Football League e club as an enhanced solidarity payment.

Latest developments are that the Premier League and EFL are going to be jointly selling their overseas TV rights from 2028; think I read somewhere that the solidarity payments are due to double at some point in the near future too, possibly off the back of that. However much money filters down to the EFL in increases, I'm pretty sure the Prem aren't going to be missing out if there's any extra revenue floating about.

Parachute Payments... on 23:08 - Oct 6 with 853 viewsDennyx4

Parachute Payments... on 08:35 - Oct 6 by EssexBloo

How many Championship sides received a payment this year? I assume Nodge still received a decent amount?

There are only 5 teams with parachute money this year.

Leeds, Leicester, Southampton, Norwich and Watford.

The parachute payments depend on how long you were in the Premier League.

1 season = 2 years payments
2 seasons = 3 years payments
3 seasons or more = 4 years payments.

The details in the original post relate to Leeds, however Leicester and Southampton will receive 4 payments.
Parachute Payments... on 23:43 - Oct 6 with 839 viewsPioneerBlue

Parachute Payments... on 23:08 - Oct 6 by Dennyx4

There are only 5 teams with parachute money this year.

Leeds, Leicester, Southampton, Norwich and Watford.

The parachute payments depend on how long you were in the Premier League.

1 season = 2 years payments
2 seasons = 3 years payments
3 seasons or more = 4 years payments.

The details in the original post relate to Leeds, however Leicester and Southampton will receive 4 payments.

PP make a mockery of the EFL champ competition. That needs reform but until they do certainly those clubs shouldn’t be benefiting from the EFL tv deal, that’s double dipping.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Parachute Payments... on 00:15 - Oct 7 with 832 viewsredrickstuhaart

Parachute Payments... on 08:37 - Oct 6 by FrimleyBlue

I just feel if a relegated club sells a player. That figure comes off their parachute entitlement.

Why should you get 20 mill for a player. Spend 20 mill on another or a combination of 2 players and still get parachute payments on top.

Then they would have no incentive to sell.
Parachute Payments... on 00:54 - Oct 7 with 827 viewsbournemouthblue

Parachute Payments... on 08:54 - Oct 6 by BlueBoots

...or Sky Sports to go the way of ITV Digital so there's no money for anyone!

I assume parachute payments became a thing because of the collapse of ItV digital

We have been battling them ever since

Sheepshanks was saying he felt our relegation was the worst season ever to get relegated in

It's complete sods law they will scrap parachute payments once we are back in the Prem, you can almost guarantee it!

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Parachute Payments... on 08:09 - Oct 7 with 772 viewsrodney76

The system is unfair because the payments seem over generous, not because they exist.

The Premier League does not seem to be the money spinner it is touted as being. This solely due to the extortionate wage demands of any player with top league credentials.

Clubs, like Luton this year who refuse to or unable to fork out big money either for transfers or wages stand no chance but by recognizing this and accepting their fate before a ball is kicked they are by necessity using the system. Luton will suddenly end up wealthy enough to update their facilities and perhaps become a more consistent Championship force by banking this season's television money and then two years of parachutes on top of that. However, you can bet your bottom dollar that the club's wages bill is by far higher than it has ever been and that it will continue to be when they go down.

It is a complex situation brought about by the massive gap between the two top leagues. Simple solutions like abandoning them altogether are not the answer. An even bigger gap could come about, and besides they are not the only "unfair" thing about our professional football set up by far.

Quite frankly I see them as a safeguard against the American way whereby relegation and therefore promotion does not exist, and I would loathe that to happen. That does not mean that the current state of affairs is either suitable or fair. It is a clumsy remedy to a genuine problem whereby the PL/Sky just throw money at it without any in depth thought.
[Post edited 7 Oct 2023 8:59]
Parachute Payments... on 08:38 - Oct 7 with 746 viewsMookamoo

Parachute Payments... on 08:09 - Oct 7 by rodney76

The system is unfair because the payments seem over generous, not because they exist.

The Premier League does not seem to be the money spinner it is touted as being. This solely due to the extortionate wage demands of any player with top league credentials.

Clubs, like Luton this year who refuse to or unable to fork out big money either for transfers or wages stand no chance but by recognizing this and accepting their fate before a ball is kicked they are by necessity using the system. Luton will suddenly end up wealthy enough to update their facilities and perhaps become a more consistent Championship force by banking this season's television money and then two years of parachutes on top of that. However, you can bet your bottom dollar that the club's wages bill is by far higher than it has ever been and that it will continue to be when they go down.

It is a complex situation brought about by the massive gap between the two top leagues. Simple solutions like abandoning them altogether are not the answer. An even bigger gap could come about, and besides they are not the only "unfair" thing about our professional football set up by far.

Quite frankly I see them as a safeguard against the American way whereby relegation and therefore promotion does not exist, and I would loathe that to happen. That does not mean that the current state of affairs is either suitable or fair. It is a clumsy remedy to a genuine problem whereby the PL/Sky just throw money at it without any in depth thought.

I can see a future where promotion/relagtion is reduced to 2 teams in the hope they avoid ill-equipped clubs like Luton going up. The Championship winner should be in a position to compete, and then have the playoff winner go up.

Very little the EFL could do to argue against it when they only allow 2 in from the National League
Login to get fewer ads

Parachute Payments... on 09:07 - Oct 7 with 707 viewsBlueBoots

Parachute Payments... on 08:09 - Oct 7 by rodney76

"The system is unfair because the payments seem over generous, not because they exist."

Completely agree, which is why I touted the idea in the OP; make the current payouts available to the relegated clubs who may need them to balance the books, but if they choose to draw those funds it will cost them a points penalty. As I mentioned in a later post, the team finishing bottom of the Prem will receive nearly £100m in prize money (plus their share of the TV revenue rights on top of that) - Leicester have the highest wage bill in the division (around £60m pa), so that is more than covered by prize money alone; the idea that Parachute Payments are there to cover possible financial hardship no longer holds water.

You gave Luton as a good example of a team who look like they're going to be financially responsible (don't think they paid more than £5m for a player in the transfer window, which puts a few Championship clubs to shame); use the money to safeguard the club long term, improve infrastructure, and evolve the team / squad long-term. I would hope if we are lucky enough to win promotion this season, that would be the model we follow, rather than throwing big transfer fees / wages around. I posted at the end of last season how much I think of the squad we've put together and hoped the players would be given a crack at the Championship; I'd be delighted to be writing a similar post next summer.

Good point about "not the only "unfair" thing about our professional football set up by far." As we found ourselves, as well as the drop-off in payments between Prem and Championship, there's quite a drop-off between Champ and Leagues One and Two as well. At that level, even a small increase could make a difference for teams being able to pay their bills, even basics; would be interesting to know how much more it now costs to run a set of floodlights for an evening match after the recent increases in energy prices compared to a couple of years back. A lot of smaller clubs can be the focal point for communities, so would be good to see money filtering down to them for improvements on and off the pitch.

Parachute Payments... on 11:21 - Oct 7 with 688 viewsDennyx4

Parachute Payments... on 23:43 - Oct 6 by PioneerBlue

PP make a mockery of the EFL champ competition. That needs reform but until they do certainly those clubs shouldn’t be benefiting from the EFL tv deal, that’s double dipping.

Agree, those 5 teams should all be in the top 6, with the money they have compared to the rest of the league.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024