Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thinking out loud 18:16 - Oct 9 with 7859 viewsUnhinged_dynamo

This calendar year we are averaging 2.33 ppg
This season so far we are averaging 2.54 ppg

Leeds are currently in 5th on 19 points and are more than likely the most capable team below us that could chase us down (squad depth and quality, manager etc)

If our ppg drops due to a bad run and we average 2 ppg from here on in we would still achieve 98
Leeds would need to increase their ppg from 1.72 to 2.3 to reach 99 which although not impossible would be a big ask

If the dream is to come true there is a hell of a long way to go and anything can happen but the team have really put themselves in a great position

Poll: Who do you think will win the league?

I think everyone on this thread is actually agreeing on 10:52 - Oct 10 with 1050 viewsFreddies_Ears

I think everyone on this thread is actually agreeing on 10:27 - Oct 10 by Vegtablue

Yes I acknowledge I've laboured my points Dyllers but that's my M.O. in fairness to me.

Excellent point made, by you and many in this thread.

I can only add, there are several sides bunched very closely below us. They will take points off each other. Every game we win strengthens our position over at least some.

Agree, the risk is that just one side below us picks up the kind of ridiculous run we are on. But those sides are mostly looking at the table and just hoping for the big day out at Wembley that I am just starting to dread...
Thinking out loud on 10:53 - Oct 10 with 1053 viewsbaxterbasics

All this analysis is very interesting.

I just had a look again at our December fixture schedule. Holy Hell.

I have a feeling come January we will know if it's a realistic promotion chase or if we have to settle for playoffs. Until then I don't feel it can be called.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Thinking out loud on 10:58 - Oct 10 with 1031 viewsDyland

Thinking out loud on 10:53 - Oct 10 by baxterbasics

All this analysis is very interesting.

I just had a look again at our December fixture schedule. Holy Hell.

I have a feeling come January we will know if it's a realistic promotion chase or if we have to settle for playoffs. Until then I don't feel it can be called.

Even thinking about "settling for playoffs" is premature at this stage.

One game at a time, stay humble, stay positive, stay focused.

December looks very tough, on paper. Guthers mentioned Burnley's 18 game run when they dropped points only twice, a loss and a draw. 18 games takes us to the end of November... look at the fixture list... barring injuries and bad luck, and taking each game as it comes, there's no rational reason we won't look to win each game...

Hmmmmmm.

COYFB
[Post edited 10 Oct 2023 10:59]

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Thinking out loud on 11:03 - Oct 10 with 1022 viewsbaxterbasics

Also wonder if at some point soon the smarter managers in the league will figure out more effective ways to counter 'McKenna Ball'

zip

Thinking out loud on 11:33 - Oct 10 with 976 viewsHerbivore

Thinking out loud on 11:03 - Oct 10 by baxterbasics

Also wonder if at some point soon the smarter managers in the league will figure out more effective ways to counter 'McKenna Ball'

Easier said than done, we're a very versatile side these days and have numerous ways to hurt team. If someone had asked fans what McKenna ball looked like last season I'm sure there'd have been lots of talk of possession and dominating the ball, this season we're closer to 50% possession across our opening games. We've adapted our style a lot and can now play deeper and look to counter, or press high and pen the opposition in. Very hard to counter us when we can also adapt how we play.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Thinking out loud on 13:54 - Oct 10 with 921 viewsGuthrum

Thinking out loud on 10:04 - Oct 10 by Dyland

One loss and one draw from 18 is ridiculous.

Looking at our fixtures to take us to 18 which is end of November... it would be absurd, bizarre, surreal, to win all of them. Possible? Sure, but you'd need serious medication if you planned on betting anything serious on that.

I think Speccer's underlying point is a very sound one... one game at a time, stay humble.

Indeed and it's excellent that we have a manager, coaches and team who take the approach in your final paragraph. Fan hubris is one thing, the club falling into it would be much more dangerous.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Thinking out loud on 14:48 - Oct 10 with 902 viewsStewart27

Thinking out loud on 18:38 - Oct 9 by xrayspecs

A top six finish will be a very good outcome this season and that is far from certain.

We have come out on the right end of some very close games. We could easily have had less than 20 points to date. Hung on against a Sunderland team who were toothless up front, did not deserve the win at QPR, needed Hladky heroics and a late equaliser at Huddersfield. Cardiff were cruising until they decided to protect their two goal lead. We needed Hladky face to save us a point against Southampton. We could have got something from Leeds game to be fair.

Our PPG will not be sustained at the current levels and you cannot assume 2ppg, that itself is exceptional form.

We have had a head start on teams who are still integrating new players, which has been great.

Leicester, Leeds and Southampton have quality and will be there or thereabouts for automatic promotion. Sunderland and Boro starting to find their form too. I also expect to see Coventry move up the table as their new players settle in.

Great to have a lead over third but to assume we are going to maintain or grow this gap given the quality in this division is far too optimistic for me.

What the heck?

I mean I get that some people try to polish a turd. But you’ve pretty much reversed that with us this season.

Teams win leagues on merit by doing the exact things that you’ve mentioned in your post. Things that every team have done against us over the past 10 years or so.

Plus we’ve had the highest XG out of any team in the league.
Stop that right now Derek! on 14:59 - Oct 10 with 894 viewstractorboy1978

Stop that right now Derek! on 10:13 - Oct 10 by Dyland

FFS!

Haha. It is just how I feel. It's a bit like when Southampton beat us 5-2 at home in the August of the season they did back to back promotions. They just looked absolute class and even that early it was hard not to see them being up there.
Login to get fewer ads

Thinking out loud on 16:02 - Oct 10 with 857 viewsGavTWTD

This thread is like a readout of my brain patterns.

This season is RIDICULOUS and long may it continue.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Thinking out loud on 10:01 - Oct 11 with 783 viewsbaxterbasics

zip

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024