Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds 03:04 - Oct 20 with 5407 viewsElderGrizzly

And the good thing is, Reform are cannibalising the Tory vote.

I wonder if Richard Tice will still keep his promise and put a candidate against every Tory candidate in the General Election?

Fingers crossed

Also, what a tw@t

[Post edited 20 Oct 2023 3:23]
Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 10:18 - Oct 20 with 1036 viewsGuthrum

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 10:00 - Oct 20 by WeWereZombies

Again, sadly, I suspect his own party will be worrying about how to win the next General Election and far less concerned with any blundering around on the international stage by Sunak. We are going to have to put up with this character who was not in the job at the last election, and not even first choice for the job when the then Prime Minister went. You never know, one of his overseas false steps could see him ousted and then they get in a new Prime Minister to try and have a fresh start and new agenda in the months leading up to the next election.

The question is who might they pick? Who has sufficient strength within the party? Who would actually want the job now? Yet another leadership change would further damage the Conservatives' public image, particularly if it's a fractious contest.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 10:23 - Oct 20 with 1002 viewsbaxterbasics

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 10:18 - Oct 20 by Guthrum

The question is who might they pick? Who has sufficient strength within the party? Who would actually want the job now? Yet another leadership change would further damage the Conservatives' public image, particularly if it's a fractious contest.

It's feeling a little like '97 for me. They'd be wise to just sit tight, accept what is coming and limit the damage best they can. Then use the term or two in opposition for hand-wringing, figuring out what they actually want to stand for and rebuilding. Would be crazy to change leader again.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 10:23 - Oct 20 with 1001 viewsnodge_blue

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 09:25 - Oct 20 by Guthrum

Ah, sorry, missed that! Probably amusing enough to post twice, tho.

Farage might end up as Leader of the Conservatives after all - just of one amongst the splinters it breaks into post a defeat like that. They should fear what happened to the Liberals after 1924*.

Note for clarity: While myself politically non-aligned, I really dislike what the Conservatives have done and become over the last decade. Thus I would be happy at their downfall.

* Edit: Into the political wilderness for 50 years and out of even shared power for 86.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2023 9:27]

Why are you politically non aligned? Do you have some type of civil service role?

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 10:25 - Oct 20 with 974 viewsWeWereZombies

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 10:18 - Oct 20 by Guthrum

Gove ? He hasn't had a go yet.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 10:29 - Oct 20 with 977 viewsGuthrum

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 10:25 - Oct 20 by WeWereZombies

Don't think he'd touch it with a barge-pole. Far too canny to end up in the hot seat under these circumstances.

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 10:29 - Oct 20 with 977 viewsnodge_blue

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 09:58 - Oct 20 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Farage has claimed he’ll be the Tory leader by 2026 according to the Independent!

Still, it will be nice to have closer links with Russia….

I didn't know he'd actually said that.

That would be a disaster. Further polarisation of parties and a really horrible populist set of policies.

Probably best result at GE is Labour have a comfortable majority but don't wipe out the Tories. Strange world, like me hoping for Norwich to take points off Leeds.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2023 10:30]

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 10:33 - Oct 20 with 956 viewsWeWereZombies

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 10:29 - Oct 20 by Guthrum

Don't think he'd touch it with a barge-pole. Far too canny to end up in the hot seat under these circumstances.

He's going, or has just been, through a divorce. Any previous canniness has to be disregarded. All Conservative Central Office have to do is present him with a document headed 'Young Tory Gels Singles Club' and unfold it once he signs to reveal that he has just committed to be the sole candidate for PM

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 10:36 - Oct 20 with 950 viewsGuthrum

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 10:16 - Oct 20 by GlasgowBlue

The Tories are at a bit of a crossroads and both factions will take some comfort from the fact that the Labour vote hardly rose in Tamworth & actually fell in Mid Beds. So they will assess that Tory voters stayed at home rather than flocked to Labour.

The hard right will insist that this is a sign that the party is not right wing enough and the centre right will claim the opposite.

As most One Nation and centre right Tories have been purged from the party then I can only see the hard right winning the argument. Which in turn will see them in opposition for many more years.

Unless I have misjudged the country and we really do want a right wing populist government.

Think that "comfort" is unfounded. Turnouts are nearly always significantly lower in by-elections, usually around 60% of that in a GE. It would be very mistaken to assume that it was only one's own party voters who stayed away. Or indeed that it would be easy to get them to come back out in a few months time.

Login to get fewer ads

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 10:37 - Oct 20 with 944 viewsHerbivore

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 10:25 - Oct 20 by WeWereZombies

It'll be Braverman or Mordaunt I imagine, both doing their best to pitch for it currently. Truss might have a pop but despite her delusions and those of her few backers, she is far too damaged goods to pull it off. The few thousand Tory members will convince themselves they've got the next Thatcher when in fact they'll have another Truss.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 10:40 - Oct 20 with 936 viewsGuthrum

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 10:37 - Oct 20 by Herbivore

It'll be Braverman or Mordaunt I imagine, both doing their best to pitch for it currently. Truss might have a pop but despite her delusions and those of her few backers, she is far too damaged goods to pull it off. The few thousand Tory members will convince themselves they've got the next Thatcher when in fact they'll have another Truss.

Possibly Badenoch also. She's quite well liked by the Rees-Moggistas.

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 10:42 - Oct 20 with 926 viewsHerbivore

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 10:40 - Oct 20 by Guthrum

Possibly Badenoch also. She's quite well liked by the Rees-Moggistas.

I think she'll go for it but she's from a similar branch of the party as Braverman and Suella has a higher profile at this point. Badenoch will probably drop out to land herself a juicy shadow cabinet role under Braverman.

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 10:45 - Oct 20 with 902 viewsSwansea_Blue

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 07:35 - Oct 20 by BanksterDebtSlave

Wish I felt happier about the prospect but anyway "just for fun."

Please let it be so. Although that's too good for them. Some of the b@stewards who've dragged us through mire over the last few years deserve to be in front of a judge.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 10:46 - Oct 20 with 900 viewsGuthrum

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 10:42 - Oct 20 by Herbivore

I think she'll go for it but she's from a similar branch of the party as Braverman and Suella has a higher profile at this point. Badenoch will probably drop out to land herself a juicy shadow cabinet role under Braverman.

Tho Braverman's higher profile has opened her to criticism over performance. If it's going to be a leadership election fought on "How nasty can we be to immigrants, the unemployed and wokies?", the Home Secretary had not been a glittering success (e.g. at 'stopping the boats', the shambles over the detention barge).

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 10:46 - Oct 20 with 892 viewsWeWereZombies

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 10:29 - Oct 20 by nodge_blue

I didn't know he'd actually said that.

That would be a disaster. Further polarisation of parties and a really horrible populist set of policies.

Probably best result at GE is Labour have a comfortable majority but don't wipe out the Tories. Strange world, like me hoping for Norwich to take points off Leeds.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2023 10:30]

If Norwich are to take points off Leeds can we at least hope that they are losing at half time...and Delia rouses them with another 'Let's Be 'Avin' Ya'. I guess the Conservative equivalent would be a drunken...actually that doesn't rule any of them out.

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 10:49 - Oct 20 with 892 viewsHerbivore

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 10:46 - Oct 20 by Guthrum

Tho Braverman's higher profile has opened her to criticism over performance. If it's going to be a leadership election fought on "How nasty can we be to immigrants, the unemployed and wokies?", the Home Secretary had not been a glittering success (e.g. at 'stopping the boats', the shambles over the detention barge).

She's the darling of the right wing press regardless of that though. The Tories and their backers don't seem to care much about competence and performance, it's more how well you can spit out rhetoric and distract the masses from the ongoing money grab of the kinds of folk who support the Tories.

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 10:50 - Oct 20 with 882 viewsMattinLondon

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 10:16 - Oct 20 by GlasgowBlue

The Tories are at a bit of a crossroads and both factions will take some comfort from the fact that the Labour vote hardly rose in Tamworth & actually fell in Mid Beds. So they will assess that Tory voters stayed at home rather than flocked to Labour.

The hard right will insist that this is a sign that the party is not right wing enough and the centre right will claim the opposite.

As most One Nation and centre right Tories have been purged from the party then I can only see the hard right winning the argument. Which in turn will see them in opposition for many more years.

Unless I have misjudged the country and we really do want a right wing populist government.

The Tories, as they are, will definitely not get my vote but I do think it’s important that the country has a strong opposition. So part of me doesn’t want to see the Tories to be wiped out.
Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 10:52 - Oct 20 with 879 viewsGuthrum

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 10:23 - Oct 20 by nodge_blue

Why are you politically non aligned? Do you have some type of civil service role?

No, I just don't feel a strong attraction to any of the parties. Have a political philosophy which doesn't align with any of them. Where I cast my vote depends upon policies and manifesto at the time, plus personality of the candidate. That last being quite a strong motivator, given they are to be my representative in the Commons.

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 10:55 - Oct 20 with 862 viewsWeWereZombies

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 10:49 - Oct 20 by Herbivore

She's the darling of the right wing press regardless of that though. The Tories and their backers don't seem to care much about competence and performance, it's more how well you can spit out rhetoric and distract the masses from the ongoing money grab of the kinds of folk who support the Tories.

And the 'masses' haven't just rejected those distractions at the by-election polls ? Or am I not being aware enough of how Labour are shadowing the Conservative rhetoric playbook. For what it is worth, I don't think I am. Everyone is getting fed up of being given half the news and having their tails pulled now.

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 10:58 - Oct 20 with 859 viewsHerbivore

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 10:55 - Oct 20 by WeWereZombies

And the 'masses' haven't just rejected those distractions at the by-election polls ? Or am I not being aware enough of how Labour are shadowing the Conservative rhetoric playbook. For what it is worth, I don't think I am. Everyone is getting fed up of being given half the news and having their tails pulled now.

It's not a strategy that's working currently, but it's worked for them well in other recent elections, 2019 in particular. They put out a back of a fag packet manifesto, told a load of lies, and won a landslide. They won't change tack,.it's not in them, they'll just hope the country will forget the last 5 years (they will eventually with the press machinery in full swing as well) and come back to the Tories. I have very little faith in the UK electorate, we've had Tory governments for most of my life and they've all been various shades of sh!t and yet they always end up back in power and cling there for long enough to drag the country downwards.

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 10:59 - Oct 20 with 856 viewsbaxterbasics

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 10:52 - Oct 20 by Guthrum

No, I just don't feel a strong attraction to any of the parties. Have a political philosophy which doesn't align with any of them. Where I cast my vote depends upon policies and manifesto at the time, plus personality of the candidate. That last being quite a strong motivator, given they are to be my representative in the Commons.

I do feel that if more voters properly scrutinised the individual candidates, and worried less about the party, we would have a much better standard of politics regardless of which team wins power.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 11:05 - Oct 20 with 845 viewsHerbivore

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 10:59 - Oct 20 by baxterbasics

I do feel that if more voters properly scrutinised the individual candidates, and worried less about the party, we would have a much better standard of politics regardless of which team wins power.

Not sure about that. FPTP and the party whip limits the amount of good individual MPs can actually do.

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 11:07 - Oct 20 with 840 viewsWhos_blue

This is why I find politics so infuriating yet fascinating at the same time.

This is quite the take, but someone somewhere is being paid to come up with these lines!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-67126173?ns_mchannel=social&ns_s

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 11:11 - Oct 20 with 828 viewsWeWereZombies

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 10:58 - Oct 20 by Herbivore

It's not a strategy that's working currently, but it's worked for them well in other recent elections, 2019 in particular. They put out a back of a fag packet manifesto, told a load of lies, and won a landslide. They won't change tack,.it's not in them, they'll just hope the country will forget the last 5 years (they will eventually with the press machinery in full swing as well) and come back to the Tories. I have very little faith in the UK electorate, we've had Tory governments for most of my life and they've all been various shades of sh!t and yet they always end up back in power and cling there for long enough to drag the country downwards.

Not necessarily, another thing people worry about is finances, not just their own but the state's as well. There is an underlying sense that we overspent to a greater degree than many other nations (and what on you might ask) during the pandemic as well as not achieving the efficiencies that other developed nations have done subsequently. Obviously Hunt is a steadier hand in the Treasury now but there is a general feeling of being in some trouble with no firm grip on the purse. What once held for the Conservative mantra about Labour not being safe with the money has turned on its head and many want steady Starmer in for security not just in the finances but in the wider brief of how the ship of state is maintained and sails forward.

Edit: Other developed nations, not over developed nations
[Post edited 20 Oct 2023 11:15]

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 11:39 - Oct 20 with 788 viewsGuthrum

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 11:05 - Oct 20 by Herbivore

Not sure about that. FPTP and the party whip limits the amount of good individual MPs can actually do.

I'd actually say that FPTP reinforces the individual MP's clout. Under pure PR, they are simply on a party's list and entirely beholden to head office. Defy the whip or show insufficient loyalty and your name is excluded for next time.

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 11:43 - Oct 20 with 774 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

Tory voters on a protest, but hope Tice does screw them at the next election by fielding a full slate. As for the Lib Dems, they continue to be a political irrelevance in this country. They were banking on winning Mid-Beds.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024