Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC 00:53 - Oct 29 with 9283 viewsorfordbuoy

From north Suffolk - losing some population to Norwich City - to East Cambridgeshire to North Essex, with some Londoners I would guess. Population around 800,000, roughly. If so, we probably should be Premier League. That's just my stab at it.
Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 21:16 - Oct 30 with 1094 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 20:14 - Oct 30 by orfordbuoy

Superb blue_curacao. I have a question - can you be a Colchester United fan and a Towner. Or, is there some antagonism there?

There are no rules on who you can and cannot support. There are some who have supported both Ipswich and nodge over the years. I would suggest they were not tribal in their support but in wanting both clubs to do well and in going so far as to have season tickets at both they were fans. I am not aware of anyone who would support both clubs in that way nowadays but they can exist. There are certainly Town fans who live in Norwich, so if you want to describe a "catchment area" you would have to include there on that basis. I am not really sure what you mean by a catchment area really.

In the same way that 99% of nodge fans wouldn't entertain the idea of supporting Ipswich, the same is probably true of most Col U fans. In the past there seemed little animosity from them but more recently (probably since Burley was appointed manager) many of their fans developed a hatred towards Town.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 21:28 - Oct 30 with 1063 viewsblue_curacao

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 20:14 - Oct 30 by orfordbuoy

Superb blue_curacao. I have a question - can you be a Colchester United fan and a Towner. Or, is there some antagonism there?

Some of the young Col U fans try to create a rivalry that, in my opinion, doesn't really exist. I think there are plenty that support both. I used to occasionally take my kids to Layer Road when they were younger and I always follow Col U results. I know a couple of guys who sometimes go to Col when Town are away from home.

I even once watched Ipswich vs Col U from the away end with two of my Col supporting mates in a cup game. 2007/2008-ish I think. Thoroughly enjoyed it, Kevin Lisbie scored for us after we'd bought him from them the season before.

Over the years I've watched Town from pretty much every area of all 4 stands so it was cool to have also watched a game from the away section :)
Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 00:24 - Oct 31 with 1002 viewsorfordbuoy

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 21:28 - Oct 30 by blue_curacao

Some of the young Col U fans try to create a rivalry that, in my opinion, doesn't really exist. I think there are plenty that support both. I used to occasionally take my kids to Layer Road when they were younger and I always follow Col U results. I know a couple of guys who sometimes go to Col when Town are away from home.

I even once watched Ipswich vs Col U from the away end with two of my Col supporting mates in a cup game. 2007/2008-ish I think. Thoroughly enjoyed it, Kevin Lisbie scored for us after we'd bought him from them the season before.

Over the years I've watched Town from pretty much every area of all 4 stands so it was cool to have also watched a game from the away section :)

I know I keep resurrecting this thread, annoying at least one poster - and, at the same time highlighting my poor spelling in the title, but one last question: To your knowledge, has the club actively promoted ITFC in Essex?
Phil and Gav have some data too on 00:41 - Oct 31 with 995 viewsVegtablue

Phil and Gav have some data too on 20:11 - Oct 29 by unstableblue

https://www.twtd.co.uk/questionnaire/chart/1256/where-do-you-live

More from Norfolk than I expected… thought Essex would be higher

4.4% Norfolk in the pie chart
Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 00:03 - Nov 1 with 905 viewsSharkey

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 00:24 - Oct 31 by orfordbuoy

I know I keep resurrecting this thread, annoying at least one poster - and, at the same time highlighting my poor spelling in the title, but one last question: To your knowledge, has the club actively promoted ITFC in Essex?

What do you mean by 'actively promote'? There's never been a club shop or anything like that in Essex, as far as I know. In the Burley Premier League years, the players would go on the occasional jolly in Colchester, but I don't know if that counts as promoting the club. I have very vague memories of some ITFC presence at Essex cricket, which may have been to do with Greene King sponsoring both.
Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 00:21 - Nov 1 with 894 viewsorfordbuoy

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 00:03 - Nov 1 by Sharkey

What do you mean by 'actively promote'? There's never been a club shop or anything like that in Essex, as far as I know. In the Burley Premier League years, the players would go on the occasional jolly in Colchester, but I don't know if that counts as promoting the club. I have very vague memories of some ITFC presence at Essex cricket, which may have been to do with Greene King sponsoring both.

I gave the example of Sunderland in the thread going into catchment areas they were losing to Newcastle to win back supporters. I think I mentioned schools. But my question/issue is 2 fold. Does ITFC actively seek increasing support? and if not - as I suspect - shouldn't the club, involved in a multi-million pound set-up, do this?
Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 00:39 - Nov 1 with 884 viewsSharkey

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 19:45 - Oct 30 by blue_curacao

Yes there are plenty of us!

I would also add that Colchester & district is fertile ground for Ipswich to pick up academy players. When my son was playing local football as a teenager, it seemed like as many of the promising boys ended up in the Ipswich system as the Col U system. Obvious examples include Cam Humphreys, Elkan and Albie Armin

Yes, it's interesting that Town have picked up three players from (the town of ) Colchester who are better than Colchester's own academy players. Only Sammy Szmodics is really comparable to them. Arguably Colchester have done better than Town at getting good London players into their academy, (Poku and Tchamadeu being the most obvious examples) but Ashton seems to be on the case when he proposes moving the academy 'to the Colchester side of the town'.
Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 01:11 - Nov 1 with 876 viewsSharkey

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 17:28 - Oct 30 by blue_curacao

There's always been a very sizable Town support in Colchester - I would estimate in the thousands (although obviously not all actively attending games). I think that Col U support has really dropped off in the last 20 years since they moved to the Weston Homes stadium. If Town make it back to the premier league in the next couple of years I feel like a lot of the "dormant" Ipswich support in Colchester will come back to life

Colchester's support hasn't dropped off. It's small, but it always was. All my life a typical Colchester crowd has been about 3,300. In the eighties and early nineties, when violence was rife, it was lower. When Colchester were the best team in East Anglia for a season in the Championship, the crowd was only 5,200, because that's what the ground held. The gate against Notts Co. recently was almost that, and even last time out (against Morecambe, very few away fans) it was about 3,300. They wouldn't have got more than that ten years ago or twenty or thirty. As I say, (pitiably) small, but not actually getting smaller. And I'd maintain that currently there are few clubs in England who could as easily double their gates as Colchester with just a bit of success, especially if the huge growth on those northern fringes of the town result in better public transport. (I think I'm right in saying that Colchester have gone longer without a promotion than any team in the Football League, and they have only been close-ish once in about the last ten years.)

My personal experience ( a couple of family, and a few blokes who drink in my local) is that the Town support in Colchester is no longer 'dormant'. But there are an awful lot of West Ham, Arsenal, Tottenham and even Chelsea fans in Colchester, of all ages. (I'd say that Rangers are still up there as one of the commonest shirts on display, even if the army presence in the town is not what it once was.)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024