Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC 00:53 - Oct 29 with 9281 viewsorfordbuoy

From north Suffolk - losing some population to Norwich City - to East Cambridgeshire to North Essex, with some Londoners I would guess. Population around 800,000, roughly. If so, we probably should be Premier League. That's just my stab at it.
Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 18:39 - Oct 29 with 2556 viewsorfordbuoy

Interesting responses. My takeaway:

We don't really know our catchment area, especially going west and south. The club should know this and work to attract a wider fan base (if Premier League is the goal). Places like Lowestoft, north Suffolk, west Suffolk, Cambridgeshire and north Essex are battlegrounds that could bring the club extra revenue.

N.B. Colchester United has a small following. Is Colchester ITFC, potential ITFC or anti-ITFC
Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 18:57 - Oct 29 with 2532 viewsPinewoodblue

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 18:39 - Oct 29 by orfordbuoy

We don't really know our catchment area, especially going west and south. The club should know this and work to attract a wider fan base (if Premier League is the goal). Places like Lowestoft, north Suffolk, west Suffolk, Cambridgeshire and north Essex are battlegrounds that could bring the club extra revenue.

N.B. Colchester United has a small following. Is Colchester ITFC, potential ITFC or anti-ITFC

The club has an extensive data base including I suppose the post code of every season ticket holder, club member, Junior blue etc.

Looking to the future the ground capacity will at some point be increased. This information will help target future where the growth in attendees is likely to come from.

We are at the start of an era where nothing happens by chance.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 20:06 - Oct 29 with 2473 viewsorfordbuoy

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 18:57 - Oct 29 by Pinewoodblue

The club has an extensive data base including I suppose the post code of every season ticket holder, club member, Junior blue etc.

Looking to the future the ground capacity will at some point be increased. This information will help target future where the growth in attendees is likely to come from.

Yeah, that would provide some indication. It would be interesting to gather that data and that of nearby rivals to determine the fault lines and publish it.
It would also be interesting to see how the club views those battlegrounds and if it actively wants to convert those border areas to Town fans.
As I'm aware and from the responses above this info is not available or simply (and weirdly) has not been collated..
Phil and Gav have some data too on 20:11 - Oct 29 with 2469 viewsunstableblue

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 18:57 - Oct 29 by Pinewoodblue

https://www.twtd.co.uk/questionnaire/chart/1256/where-do-you-live

More from Norfolk than I expected… thought Essex would be higher

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 20:24 - Oct 29 with 2439 viewsgtsb1966

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 13:21 - Oct 29 by thatbdude

Places like Haverhill and Sudbury (specifically Cornard) are more spammers strongholds, the same could be said for Thetford

Towns like Diss and Lowestoft are 50/50. Diss because it's inbetween Ipswich and Nodge.

Lowestoft has more of a divide, with the south of the Lothing being Ipswich and north of the Lothing being Budgies

Essex is an interesting one as I would imagine places like Colchester and Southend being there own places due to both clubs being in the football league for most of their existence. I would imagine southern Essex being hammers while North Essex is where we creep in but like I said above about Haverhill and Sudbury, they still have a quiet large hammers support in the north
[Post edited 29 Oct 2023 13:31]

Cornard is definitely not a West Ham stronghold. It may well have been in the 70's when the overspill was built but not anymore. Since the early 80's Cornard has doubled in size and even more recently ,approx 13 years ago, a big new housing area was built where the old and new rugby clubs are/were. I live near the rugby club and it is full of Town fans. West Ham are the biggest London club supported in Sudbury/Cornard but Ipswich are most certainly top dogs.
Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 20:41 - Oct 29 with 2420 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

West Ham have played a blinder getting a tax payer funded stadium. Without the overheads that Spurs and Arsenal have paying back construction they’ve had dirt cheap season tickets, May have crept up but they started at £200 quid. I know a couple of people who weren’t even West Ham fans that got season tickets for them and the kids as it’s relatively cheap entertainment (though that’s stretching it a little if you have to watch Moyes ball).

That free stadium and years of mediocrity at Town has unfortunately eaten into our heartlands over the past few years. Pretty sure that’s about to change! That said we don’t have to compete with any local big clubs, so the fanbase is huge (5th highest average in a league with big clubs) with potential to grow, and I’m fairly sure that was one of the attractive features for GC when they took us over.
Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 20:51 - Oct 29 with 2391 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 18:39 - Oct 29 by orfordbuoy

That's an interesting takeaway from a thread that appears to me to say there isn't such a thing as a "catchment area" and, if you want to define one it is worldwide as we have supporters all over the world.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 21:13 - Oct 29 with 2366 viewsbournemouthblue

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 09:40 - Oct 29 by orfordbuoy

Colchester - which was once planned to be part of Suffolk - is home to how many supporters I wonder?

When was it planned to be in Suffolk?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Login to get fewer ads

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 21:15 - Oct 29 with 2357 viewsbournemouthblue

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 12:06 - Oct 29 by DJR

I'm probably remembering the early 1970s when the following suggests what I said was the case (their average attendance in 1972-73 is I think higher than we have ever achieved, as is their record crowd), and was probably thinking more about potential, given that attendances will be obviously be affected by form, and division.

https://www.englishfootballleaguetables.co.uk/stats/Report/gate/a1972-73.html

And I always put this down to the higher population of Norfolk, the absence of a football league club like Col Utd nearby, the influence of London clubs on Essex more generally, and the location of Ipswich on the edge of the county.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2023 12:11]

Our record attendance of 38k saw barriers collapsing didn't it?

The capacity was capped from that games onwards or thereabouts, I suspect we would have broken that further at some stage, if the ground was capable of holding more?

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 21:37 - Oct 29 with 2347 viewsgainsboroughblue

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 21:13 - Oct 29 by bournemouthblue

When was it planned to be in Suffolk?

It was part of the Radcliffe-Maud proposals in the late 60s when considering boundary changes. It would've placed Colchester and Tendring districts in Suffolk, thus having the Haven Ports in the same county. Suffolk would've lost Haverhill and Newmarket to Cambridgeshire.

It never materialised obviously.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2023 21:40]

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 22:00 - Oct 29 with 2320 viewsbournemouthblue

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 21:37 - Oct 29 by gainsboroughblue

It was part of the Radcliffe-Maud proposals in the late 60s when considering boundary changes. It would've placed Colchester and Tendring districts in Suffolk, thus having the Haven Ports in the same county. Suffolk would've lost Haverhill and Newmarket to Cambridgeshire.

Interesting, the Tendering economy and Colchester really are far closer

You have things like Ipswich and Colchester working together for hospitals and our museum service for example

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 22:58 - Oct 29 with 2289 viewsorfordbuoy

so, with the indicative TWTD's poll and the posts in this thread I will boldly draw a triangle from Lowestoft to a Cambridge apex and then through Haverhill and Colchester to Clacton.
I reckon there's about 800,000 folk inside and therefore conclude we have a larger catchment population than Sunderland, and further conclude a new Cobbold stand could take the capacity of PR to 40,000. Done.
Happy to be shot down.
Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 23:09 - Oct 29 with 2281 viewsburnbudgiesburn

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 22:58 - Oct 29 by orfordbuoy

so, with the indicative TWTD's poll and the posts in this thread I will boldly draw a triangle from Lowestoft to a Cambridge apex and then through Haverhill and Colchester to Clacton.
I reckon there's about 800,000 folk inside and therefore conclude we have a larger catchment population than Sunderland, and further conclude a new Cobbold stand could take the capacity of PR to 40,000. Done.
Happy to be shot down.

Clacton used to be a big area for Town supporters in the 70's & 80's, since then Clacton has become little London so I reckon Ipswich rank quite low down if a survey was done now.

I'm sure most of the rest of Tendring is Town territory though.
Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 09:30 - Oct 30 with 2178 viewsElephantintheRoom

Depends on how well Town are doing. When my lads were at school it coincided with Town being so dull even Howard Wilkinson complained. Most of the local kids around Saffron Walden were Spurs, Arsenal or Cambridge supporters. Now Town’ve bought a bit of succèss and are attractive to watch I suspect that dynamic has changed.

The carpetbaggers have bought Town not because there are 800,000 people to be fleeced nearby. but because there is a worldwide audience.

Where I grew up in north sufffolk a number of people went to Ipswich when they were at home and Norwich when they were at home…. I doubt many do that any more.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 09:52 - Oct 30 with 2154 viewstrncbluearmy

. It’s not the geographical size of the county that matters, but the number of people in it. On that measure Norfolk is the 25th. Of those counties below it only one, East Sussex, has enjoyed anything like the success we have. Quote from the oikun

Figures vary online but generally 800000 for naarfolk,750000 Suffolk

They really are completely dillusional

Our support is magnificent considering infrastructure, proximity to London,large part of suffolk much nearer to naarich then Ipswich and the crap we have put up with over many years.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2023 9:54]
Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 10:30 - Oct 30 with 2126 viewsorfordbuoy

Some Sunderland fans were saying their traditional catchment region of Co. Durham was turning black and white. The club was going to schools and actively trying to regain the support from this area.
I wonder if Town makes any effort in Lowestoft, Beccles, Bungay, Newmarket and Cambs, Haverhill, Tendring, etc. I suspect (no data) a decent following in Colchester - but that is a bit cheeky to promote ITFC there,
Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 10:52 - Oct 30 with 2113 viewsArnieM

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 00:55 - Oct 29 by FrimleyBlue

Don't forget
Bulgaria, Holland, Spain, indonesia,

And U.S.A.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 11:02 - Oct 30 with 2100 viewsleitrimblue

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 21:37 - Oct 29 by gainsboroughblue

The Haverhill Popular People's Front would never allow Haverhill to be moved from Suffolk to the cultural desert that is Cambridgeshire
Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 11:24 - Oct 30 with 2073 viewsTresBonne

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 09:55 - Oct 29 by DJR

Maybe I am misremembering, but didn't Bobby Robson once say, when commenting on the size of our crowds, that you couldn't get many supporters from the North Sea?

By comparison, Norwich is in the centre of Norfolk (a larger county in terms of population), which may well explain why over the years, it has tended to attract larger crowds, although that seems to be changing these days.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2023 9:56]

Yeah, I've got a few budgie supporting mates, and all their mates are budgie supporting mates, simply cos they're over the border, far away from any other club and it's the only option. I'd hazard a guess that 85% of the population 10-18 in Norfolk, are Norwich. Wouldn't be the same for Essex areas, or even Ipswich.

Side note, I know quite a few that are now tapping back into ITFC - for example ran into a work mate and his 12 year old son at the game Sat, been United fans for years but now following Town and going to Town games since the start of this season.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2023 11:27]
Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 17:28 - Oct 30 with 1993 viewsblue_curacao

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 09:40 - Oct 29 by orfordbuoy

Colchester - which was once planned to be part of Suffolk - is home to how many supporters I wonder?

There's always been a very sizable Town support in Colchester - I would estimate in the thousands (although obviously not all actively attending games). I think that Col U support has really dropped off in the last 20 years since they moved to the Weston Homes stadium. If Town make it back to the premier league in the next couple of years I feel like a lot of the "dormant" Ipswich support in Colchester will come back to life
Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 18:51 - Oct 30 with 1947 viewsorfordbuoy

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 17:28 - Oct 30 by blue_curacao

There's always been a very sizable Town support in Colchester - I would estimate in the thousands (although obviously not all actively attending games). I think that Col U support has really dropped off in the last 20 years since they moved to the Weston Homes stadium. If Town make it back to the premier league in the next couple of years I feel like a lot of the "dormant" Ipswich support in Colchester will come back to life

Pretty sure, in this thread, no Colchesterian Towner has stepped forward. Do they exist? Are they amongst us?
Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 19:45 - Oct 30 with 1907 viewsblue_curacao

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 18:51 - Oct 30 by orfordbuoy

Pretty sure, in this thread, no Colchesterian Towner has stepped forward. Do they exist? Are they amongst us?

Yes there are plenty of us!

I would also add that Colchester & district is fertile ground for Ipswich to pick up academy players. When my son was playing local football as a teenager, it seemed like as many of the promising boys ended up in the Ipswich system as the Col U system. Obvious examples include Cam Humphreys, Elkan and Albie Armin
Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 19:52 - Oct 30 with 1894 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 19:45 - Oct 30 by blue_curacao

I would also add that Colchester & district is fertile ground for Ipswich to pick up academy players. When my son was playing local football as a teenager, it seemed like as many of the promising boys ended up in the Ipswich system as the Col U system. Obvious examples include Cam Humphreys, Elkan and Albie Armin

I am not sure what Orford Boy is trying to achieve in this thread. I thought your comment was fairly clear that you are in Colchester and he then responds to say no one in this thread has identified as being in Colchester (the thread didn't ask anyone to either). It seems a bizarre thread really.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 20:14 - Oct 30 with 1857 viewsorfordbuoy

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 19:45 - Oct 30 by blue_curacao

Superb blue_curacao. I have a question - can you be a Colchester United fan and a Towner. Or, is there some antagonism there?
Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 20:46 - Oct 30 with 1829 viewsSharkey

Any data to suggust the catchment area of ITFC on 11:31 - Oct 29 by gainsboroughblue

It's not a linear process. So much depends on the quality of 'the product' of the time, getting people hooked at the right age and the demographic having an interest in football the first place. I'd argue clubs like Bristol City, Bradford etc lose a lot of people to rugby union/league before you factor in rival football clubs in the area.

Prior to their Premier League days, Leicester would lose people to the rugby and they also often played at home on the same day.

Essex is a really interesting one. I reckon the more South you go, you hit Hammers territory, Harlow into Herts is more Spurs with a smattering of Arse. Anywhere from around Chelmsford onwards is partly ours if we want it, and 40 odd years ago, we did have it. Tendring always was strongly blue, but again tradition, family, relocation made it all a bit jumbled up.

Harlow may have plenty if Spurs fans, but it's really the heartland of Orient support, more so than Leyton, due to migration patterns.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024