Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? 19:54 - Nov 2 with 262134 viewsnoggin

Yeah but Owen Jones...
[Post edited 3 Nov 2023 9:05]

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Is the answer 30,000 on 15:01 - Mar 2 with 1727 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Is the answer 30,000 on 14:57 - Mar 2 by phillymark

Were all the Germans we killed in WW2 Nazis?

Desperate stuff.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 15:07 - Mar 2 with 1708 viewsNthsuffolkblue

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 14:56 - Mar 2 by phillymark

What happens after a ceasefire?
Does Hamas keep the hostages?
If Hamas launches rockets into Israel, is that considered a breach of a ceasefire and Israel is allowed to restart operations?
Is Hamas allowed to rebuild tunnels?

Seriously, what happens after a ceasefire?

What happens if there is no ceasefire? Is that the acceptable outcome you want?
Ideally, a ceasefire leads to the very rapid return of hostages as soon as possible. Why wouldn't it? What is the likely outcome for hostages without a ceasefire? Is that what you want?
Yes, breaching a ceasefire is a breach of a ceasefire regardless of which side breaches it. Would restarting the genocide be an acceptable response to a breach of a ceasefire? No, we shouldn't be supporting the genocide was wrong from the outset. The Israeli government should be seeking to target those responsible even if that is a slower and more difficult process than indiscriminately bombing and starving an entire population.
Why would a ceasefire allow any more rebuilding of tunnels than they already are? Since Israel knows all about these tunnels they should be able to fill in the entrances to them fairly easily. They do already control Gaza, after all!

Seriously, why support the genocide?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Is the answer 30,000 on 08:28 - Mar 4 with 1594 viewsDJR

I am not exactly sure the point you are making but comparisons with WW2 are not appropriate because international law has moved on since then as the following passage from a House of Commons research briefing explains.

"Prior to WW2 there was no specific international legal norm that aimed to protect civilians in conflicts. The mass civilian casualties in World War II prompted the international community to adopt the Fourth Geneva Convention on the Protection of Civilians in Time of War in 1949, stretching the international humanitarian law protections beyond wounded, sick, shipwrecked and captured combatants. Additional Protocols to the Geneva Convention adopted in 1977 reinforced these protections for civilians."

Unfortunately these provisions have not necessarily been followed in conflicts since WW2 but one would expect better of a democratic country like Israel, as opposed to say Russia, and indeed, the very high proportion of casualties who are women and children is so far as I am aware unprecedented.

In addition, as occupying power, Israel has various obligations under the Geneva Convention, which in my view it has not fulfilled. The passage below from the briefing mentioned above summarises some of those obligations.

"The Convention provides that civilians under the power of enemy forces must be treated humanely in all circumstances, without any adverse distinction. They must be protected against all forms of violence and degrading treatment, including murder and torture. Moreover, in case of prosecution, they are entitled to a fair trial affording all essential judicial guarantees.

The protection of civilians extends to those trying to help them, in particular medical units and humanitarian or relief bodies providing essentials such as food, clothing and medical supplies. The warring parties are required to allow access to such organizations. The Convention specifically require belligerents to facilitate the work of the ICRC.

While the Convention protects all civilians without discrimination, certain groups are singled out for special mention. Women and children, the aged and sick are highly vulnerable during armed conflict. So too are those who flee their homes and become internally displaced or refugees. IHL prohibits forced displacements by intimidation, violence or starvation."

To conclude, I am a strong supporter of Israel's right to exist, and to defend itself. I also don't have an antisemitic bone in my body, having a best friend who is Jewish and having worked for a largely Jewish firm of solicitors. But I just feel Israel has overstepped the mark (for understandable reasons given 7 October), and even Joe Biden a staunch supporter of Israel appears to feel the same.

EDIT: And this (from Kamala Harris last night), indicates the Biden administration does not believe Israel is complying with its international humanitarian obligations.

“They [Israel} must open new border crossings. They must not impose any unnecessary restrictions on the delivery of aid. They must ensure humanitarian personnel, sites and convoys are not targeted, and they must work to restore basic services and promote order in Gaza, so more food, water and fuel can reach those in need.”
[Post edited 4 Mar 10:50]
Is the answer 30,000 on 08:50 - Mar 4 with 1550 viewsWeWereZombies

The Nazis killed a fair few Germans too...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Is the answer 30,000 on 09:24 - Mar 4 with 1530 viewsnoggin

Oh that's ok then, we can forgive the IRA for killing non-combatants, during the troubles, because all is fair in war?

Is the answer 30,000 on 09:33 - Mar 4 with 1509 viewsStokieBlue

Another post to add to your growing collection of horrible posts on the subject.

It's far from the first time you've attempted to minimise what is happening in Gaza.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Is the answer 30,000 on 09:50 - Mar 4 with 1464 viewsBigalhunter

What a truly desperate and disgusting thing to say.
Is the answer 30,000 on 11:17 - Mar 4 with 1397 viewsphillymark

Is the answer 30,000 on 09:50 - Mar 4 by Bigalhunter

What a truly desperate and disgusting thing to say.

Why?

Civilians die in wars. Innocent ones. It’s a horrible truth.

Login to get fewer ads

Is the answer 30,000 on 11:19 - Mar 4 with 1386 viewsphillymark

Is the answer 30,000 on 15:01 - Mar 2 by leitrimblue

Wow, just wow..

Please explain to this Jew why the policies of the nazis are different from the intentions of Hamas?
How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 11:20 - Mar 4 with 1383 viewsphillymark

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 15:07 - Mar 2 by Nthsuffolkblue

What happens if there is no ceasefire? Is that the acceptable outcome you want?
Ideally, a ceasefire leads to the very rapid return of hostages as soon as possible. Why wouldn't it? What is the likely outcome for hostages without a ceasefire? Is that what you want?
Yes, breaching a ceasefire is a breach of a ceasefire regardless of which side breaches it. Would restarting the genocide be an acceptable response to a breach of a ceasefire? No, we shouldn't be supporting the genocide was wrong from the outset. The Israeli government should be seeking to target those responsible even if that is a slower and more difficult process than indiscriminately bombing and starving an entire population.
Why would a ceasefire allow any more rebuilding of tunnels than they already are? Since Israel knows all about these tunnels they should be able to fill in the entrances to them fairly easily. They do already control Gaza, after all!

Seriously, why support the genocide?

It isn’t a genocide

I support a ceasefire that
A) will hold
B) causes the release of hostages
C) prevents Hamas from launching attacks
Is the answer 30,000 on 11:23 - Mar 4 with 1375 viewsnoggin

Is the answer 30,000 on 11:17 - Mar 4 by phillymark

Why?

"What happens after a ceasefire?"

I fear thousands more bodies of innocent people will be found under the rubble, and over a million innocent people still won't have anywhere to live. (assuming they don't die of hunger or disease in the meantime)

That's just what happens in war though hey?

Is the answer 30,000 on 11:24 - Mar 4 with 1365 viewspositivity

Is the answer 30,000 on 11:17 - Mar 4 by phillymark

Why?

a higher percentage of gazans have died in 5 months than germans in 5 years of world war 2 (and that includes combatants and those killed by the nazis themselves)

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Is the answer 30,000 on 11:56 - Mar 4 with 1318 viewsleitrimblue

Is the answer 30,000 on 11:19 - Mar 4 by phillymark

Please explain to this Jew why the policies of the nazis are different from the intentions of Hamas?

I think this is probably one of those times that it's better you have a good long think about it and answer this yourself
Is the answer 30,000 on 11:57 - Mar 4 with 1317 viewsleitrimblue

Is the answer 30,000 on 11:56 - Mar 4 by leitrimblue

I think this is probably one of those times that it's better you have a good long think about it and answer this yourself

If you still haven't worked it out by the morning then I may do your homework for yer
Is the answer 30,000 on 12:59 - Mar 4 with 1258 viewsGlasgowBlue

Is the answer 30,000 on 11:57 - Mar 4 by leitrimblue

If you still haven't worked it out by the morning then I may do your homework for yer

You’re going to educate a Jew about the Nazis and the Israel/Palestine conflict? This should be good.

Whilst you're at it could you lecture a black person about African slavery? I'm sure they would appreciate your vast experience on the subject.

Edited spelling mistake.
[Post edited 4 Mar 14:06]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Is the answer 30,000 on 13:26 - Mar 4 with 1228 viewsleitrimblue

Is the answer 30,000 on 12:59 - Mar 4 by GlasgowBlue

You’re going to educate a Jew about the Nazis and the Israel/Palestine conflict? This should be good.

Whilst you're at it could you lecture a black person about African slavery? I'm sure they would appreciate your vast experience on the subject.

Edited spelling mistake.
[Post edited 4 Mar 14:06]

Why on earth do you think only a Jewish person could understand the Nazis or the Isreal/Palestine conflict?
Is the answer 30,000 on 13:46 - Mar 4 with 1187 viewsphillymark

Is the answer 30,000 on 13:26 - Mar 4 by leitrimblue

Why on earth do you think only a Jewish person could understand the Nazis or the Isreal/Palestine conflict?

point beautifully missed
How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 13:48 - Mar 4 with 1172 viewsNthQldITFC

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 11:20 - Mar 4 by phillymark

It isn’t a genocide

I support a ceasefire that
A) will hold
B) causes the release of hostages
C) prevents Hamas from launching attacks

May I ask whether the following would make it into your list of criteria for a more meaningful and long-term ceasefire?:

D) gives a cast iron guarantee for a two-state solution, finally providing freedom, equality and a degree of justice for Palestinian people 75 years too late
E) funds the rebuilding of the destroyed Gaza Strip, home to 2 million oppressed people
F) reverses all settler land theft in the West Bank and compensates the dispossessed
G) guarantees no further land-grabbing by this or any future Israeli administration, with real and enforceable international sanctions ready in place to stop it

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Is the answer 30,000 on 13:50 - Mar 4 with 1169 viewsphillymark

Is the answer 30,000 on 11:56 - Mar 4 by leitrimblue

https://www.wilsoncenter.org/article/doctrine-hamas
Is the answer 30,000 on 13:50 - Mar 4 with 1167 viewsphillymark

Is the answer 30,000 on 08:50 - Mar 4 by WeWereZombies

The Nazis killed a fair few Germans too...

And Hamas has killed a fair few Palestinians
How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 13:51 - Mar 4 with 1164 viewsphillymark

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 13:48 - Mar 4 by NthQldITFC

May I ask whether the following would make it into your list of criteria for a more meaningful and long-term ceasefire?:

D) gives a cast iron guarantee for a two-state solution, finally providing freedom, equality and a degree of justice for Palestinian people 75 years too late
E) funds the rebuilding of the destroyed Gaza Strip, home to 2 million oppressed people
F) reverses all settler land theft in the West Bank and compensates the dispossessed
G) guarantees no further land-grabbing by this or any future Israeli administration, with real and enforceable international sanctions ready in place to stop it

So you too have conditions for a ceasefire? Got it

You answer my conditions first, ok
Is the answer 30,000 on 13:54 - Mar 4 with 1158 viewsleitrimblue

Is the answer 30,000 on 13:46 - Mar 4 by phillymark

point beautifully missed

Perhaps you could explain how religion equals historical understanding Mark?
Is the answer 30,000 on 13:59 - Mar 4 with 1148 viewsleitrimblue

Is the answer 30,000 on 13:50 - Mar 4 by phillymark

https://www.wilsoncenter.org/article/doctrine-hamas

Do you think the Nazis headed a Sunni extremist movement?
Why do you think this article explains the policies of the Nazis in comparison to Hamas?
Do you think any of your questions excuses you from your sickening response to the brutal deaths of over 25,000 innocent women and children in Gaza?
How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 14:05 - Mar 4 with 1135 viewsNthQldITFC

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 13:51 - Mar 4 by phillymark

So you too have conditions for a ceasefire? Got it

You answer my conditions first, ok

Absolutely, unequivocally yes to all of yours.

edit: spelling correction, 'fo' to 'of'.
[Post edited 4 Mar 14:07]

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 14:10 - Mar 4 with 1107 viewsphillymark

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 14:05 - Mar 4 by NthQldITFC

Absolutely, unequivocally yes to all of yours.

edit: spelling correction, 'fo' to 'of'.
[Post edited 4 Mar 14:07]

So we both agree to preconditions for a ceasefire. Cool

Makes "ceasefire now" seem like a strange chant then doesn't it?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024