Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gutted for the Lionesses 09:16 - Dec 6 with 1391 viewsRyorry

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67630288

"Beth Mead said England are "devastated" while manager Sarina Wiegman said it "really hurts" after her side agonisingly missed out on a place in the Women's Nations League finals on goal difference.

The Lionesses thrashed Scotland 6-0 at Hampden Park but it was not enough to top the table as the Netherlands, who defeated Belgium 4-0, advanced on a night of high drama.

England's game had finished when the Netherlands scored their decisive fourth goal in the 95th minute, ending the Lionesses' Nations League campaign and also meaning Team GB will not be in the Paris 2024 Olympics football competition."

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Gutted for the Lionesses on 09:23 - Dec 6 with 1352 viewsWhos_blue

Yeah. Gutting for them.

These situations where you're relying on other results are always a role of the dice though.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Gutted for the Lionesses on 14:03 - Dec 6 with 1157 viewsPaul

Am I missing something? (Probably)

Why does the Lionesses result affect the Olympic football team?

England and Scotland are two separate countries, but Team GB involves both nations? Couldn't Scotland let England score ten to ensure Team GB qualified?

Like I say, I am probably missing something obvious but it seems weird to me.
Gutted for the Lionesses on 14:09 - Dec 6 with 1141 viewsglasso

Gutted for the Lionesses on 14:03 - Dec 6 by Paul

England and Scotland are two separate countries, but Team GB involves both nations? Couldn't Scotland let England score ten to ensure Team GB qualified?

Bizarre, isn't it?

Would've served those Scotland/GB players better to have gifted us a couple more goals, helping England to win the group and then they could all play at the Olympics.
Gutted for the Lionesses on 14:10 - Dec 6 with 1140 viewsviewfromtheu2

Should any of the home nations have made it to the next stage of the Nations League it would have meant a "Team GB' would have been entered at the Olympics as the individual country (ENG/SCO/WAL/NIR) don't compete.

@BonoITFC

Gutted for the Lionesses on 14:17 - Dec 6 with 1125 viewsMookamoo

I think the England team is the nominated representative - there was not going to be a combined team. Not sure why.
Gutted for the Lionesses on 14:30 - Dec 6 with 1102 viewsviewfromtheu2

Gutted for the Lionesses on 14:17 - Dec 6 by Mookamoo

I think the England team is the nominated representative - there was not going to be a combined team. Not sure why.

You-re right, they were nominated but the final "Team GB' team would have been a mix fall the home nations, according to various articles. Shame really as it would have been another tournament for fans to watch

@BonoITFC

Gutted for the Lionesses on 15:41 - Dec 6 with 1028 viewsRadlett_blue

Gutted for the Lionesses on 14:17 - Dec 6 by Mookamoo

That's the problem with having a GB football team. For the 2012 Olympics, the squad had 13 English players, 5 Welsh but no Scottish players. I don't know if that's because the SFA refused to participate. It creates an oddity when you have 4 separate teams & then they try to come together for the Olympics.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Gutted for the Lionesses on 15:46 - Dec 6 with 1015 viewsMookamoo

Gutted for the Lionesses on 15:41 - Dec 6 by Radlett_blue

That's the problem with having a GB football team. For the 2012 Olympics, the squad had 13 English players, 5 Welsh but no Scottish players. I don't know if that's because the SFA refused to participate. It creates an oddity when you have 4 separate teams & then they try to come together for the Olympics.

I vote we just scrap the Union just to make this sort of thing easier.
Login to get fewer ads

Gutted for the Lionesses on 15:54 - Dec 6 with 1001 viewsitfcjoe

Gutted for the Lionesses on 14:09 - Dec 6 by glasso

Bizarre, isn't it?

Would've served those Scotland/GB players better to have gifted us a couple more goals, helping England to win the group and then they could all play at the Olympics.

Yep, and had Scotland won the group then Team GB wouldn't have qualified either.....but only 1 or 2 of them would have made the squad but a strange quirk

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Gutted for the Lionesses on 16:34 - Dec 6 with 935 viewsRadlett_blue

Gutted for the Lionesses on 15:46 - Dec 6 by Mookamoo

I vote we just scrap the Union just to make this sort of thing easier.

In 2016, the English Football Association (FA) did not send a men’s or women’s team to the Rio Olympics after objections from the Scottish and Welsh FAs.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Gutted for the Lionesses on 17:03 - Dec 6 with 906 viewsPerublue

Some answers I know have hit various nails on the head....
but yes..it would have been a mixed team if qualifed and yes traditioanlly the "smaller" nations feared their existence if backing a GB team as we do have the anomaly from another era of having 4 instead of 1 vote or representation full stop league and national team wise.
The West Indies have a similar problem whenever cricket is used in a multi event thingy.

Poll: Rugby World Cup Winner ?

Gutted for the Lionesses on 18:35 - Dec 6 with 847 viewsRyorry

A Scottish pundit said on BBCR5l y'day evening just before k/o that their team are natural competitors (understandable, esp v. England of course) & that pride would be at stake.

To understand the second of those, I guess you have to think back to our '9' game v. Manure, and how we're still hoping that some other club or other will go worse with one more, thereby taking away an unwanted record from us.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024