Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nixon saying we're looking at Hughes.. 09:01 - Dec 31 with 10255 viewsITFCBlues

I can't read that, but assume it's Wigan Charlie Hughes who we've been linked with before?

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Nixon saying we're looking at Hughes.. on 22:05 - Dec 31 with 2420 viewsHalifaxBlue

Nixon saying we're looking at Hughes.. on 09:04 - Dec 31 by ITFCBlues

Oh and Palace and Brighton looking at McKenna

Brighton are the club I've been most worried about for the longest. De Zerbi will get a big job eventually. McKenna's football is probably more similar to De Zerbi's than anyones. Brighton have an excellent track record of giving young/unproven (in the Prem at least) managers a shot, and I think it is probably a club he'd find very appealing given how well run they are and the profile of their squad.

Brighton had De Zerbi lined up well in advance of losing Potter. I'd be very surprised if McKenna wasn't someone they are watching very regularly.

I think if you look at the Premier League table as it stands today, he would leave for any of the top half, but I'd like to think he'd stay if any of the others came knocking - with the possible exception of Everton.

EDIT: thinking about this now, I honestly think McKenna as the next Brighton manager would be a very good punt IF we failed to go up. Not meaning to be negative. It's the way of the road. I think we have reason to be hopeful that our owners would be similarly adept as Brighton in succession planning.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2023 22:09]

Poll: Hurst or Ross, discounting any other candidates?

Nixon saying we're looking at Hughes.. on 02:48 - Jan 1 with 2209 viewsBcarefulwhatUWish4

Nixon saying we're looking at Hughes.. on 13:09 - Dec 31 by Penzanceblue

Very highly thought of and fits the business model.

Has actually captained his side on a few occasions which shows how highly he is rated.
Nixon saying we're looking at Hughes.. on 07:41 - Jan 1 with 2106 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Nixon saying we're looking at Hughes.. on 22:05 - Dec 31 by HalifaxBlue

Brighton are the club I've been most worried about for the longest. De Zerbi will get a big job eventually. McKenna's football is probably more similar to De Zerbi's than anyones. Brighton have an excellent track record of giving young/unproven (in the Prem at least) managers a shot, and I think it is probably a club he'd find very appealing given how well run they are and the profile of their squad.

Brighton had De Zerbi lined up well in advance of losing Potter. I'd be very surprised if McKenna wasn't someone they are watching very regularly.

I think if you look at the Premier League table as it stands today, he would leave for any of the top half, but I'd like to think he'd stay if any of the others came knocking - with the possible exception of Everton.

EDIT: thinking about this now, I honestly think McKenna as the next Brighton manager would be a very good punt IF we failed to go up. Not meaning to be negative. It's the way of the road. I think we have reason to be hopeful that our owners would be similarly adept as Brighton in succession planning.

Palace appears much more likely to me if we don’t go up.
Nixon saying we're looking at Hughes.. on 08:16 - Jan 1 with 2052 viewstextbackup

It would also surprise me if KM were to leave that MA doesn’t have replacements lined up (or atleast a few names on a list)
Also, call me a sentimental fool, but I think KM might even possibly have a hand in advising on a successor.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Nixon saying we're looking at Hughes.. on 10:37 - Jan 1 with 1874 viewsFreddies_Ears

Nixon saying we're looking at Hughes.. on 07:41 - Jan 1 by PrideOfTheEast

Palace appears much more likely to me if we don’t go up.

KM is on record as being an admirer of RdZ's Brighton side. I am concerned he would go there if RdZ moves on, but possibly less so if he were sacked!
No no no no on 10:56 - Jan 1 with 1818 viewsunstableblue

Remember the criteria

Fails on key measure:

1. Brighton only have an average attendance 2000 higher than us
2. The club has limited history with no honours
3. Their fan base is weak, with the Amex having quite a poor atmosphere - weren’t they talking about playing crowd noise through the loud speakers?

McKenna is designing a new training ground here - Brighton do have a good one. And I think he’ll be challenging himself to kick in at Town after the next two windows.

I do think the danger with McKenna is if he feels the parachute payment difference is going to prove too much to battle.

But next season I expect it will be Leicter and Saints who go back up, potentially with us!! And teams they will come down will be weaker.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Nixon saying we're looking at Hughes.. on 11:01 - Jan 1 with 1789 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Nixon saying we're looking at Hughes.. on 10:37 - Jan 1 by Freddies_Ears

KM is on record as being an admirer of RdZ's Brighton side. I am concerned he would go there if RdZ moves on, but possibly less so if he were sacked!

McKenna is going nowhere, he's baked into the project here and wants to take us all the way.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Nixon saying we're looking at Hughes.. on 13:56 - Jan 1 with 1645 viewsbobbyramsey

Nixon saying we're looking at Hughes.. on 10:07 - Dec 31 by Plums

8th place in the Premier League Brighton??

Exactly, why would they be looking at KM?
Login to get fewer ads

Nixon saying we're looking at Hughes.. on 12:35 - Jan 2 with 1469 viewsPhilTWTD

Not hearing positive noises on this. However, I did hear his name mentioned in the summer - when was given similar noises - so may have been some interest at some point or one we may be watching longer term.
Nixon saying we're looking at Hughes.. on 18:57 - Jan 2 with 1176 viewsBluespeed225

Nah, the Club are just looking to put new tv's in the executive boxes, Hughes have a sale on.
Nixon saying we're looking at Hughes.. on 22:27 - Jan 2 with 913 viewsHalifaxBlue

I never meant to imply anything was imminent or that De Zerbi would be leaving soon, sorry if that was confusing. Of course there is no noise - there is no reason to believe the job will be available any time soon. We're fine for now, and if we go up I think we're fine, period.

I'm simply saying they're watching him and he'd be high on their list. They are very public about how active they are in their succession planning, he fits their mold perfectly. Their recalling Sarmiento to send to us only makes me more convinced of this. There isn't a club in the country that makes more sense for them to send players on loan. He is the obvious continuity option there. It won't happen soon, and odds are it won't happen at all, but if I had to put money on any club in the world, it would be them.

I don't think there would be any criteria for McKenna other then which club gives him the best chance to get to where he wants to be, whether he'd admit that publicly or not. I don't think he'd leave for Palace, but Brighton would at least turn his head.

Edit: just realized Phil (obviously) wasn't talking about this. Apologies for hijacking the thread.
[Post edited 2 Jan 22:28]

Nixon saying we're looking at Hughes.. on 22:29 - Jan 2 with 905 viewsHalifaxBlue

Nixon saying we're looking at Hughes.. on 13:56 - Jan 1 by bobbyramsey

Exactly, why would they be looking at KM?

Because De Zerbi will move to a bigger club eventually and they are extremely active in succession planning.

Nixon saying we're looking at Hughes.. on 23:26 - Jan 2 with 785 viewsChurchman

Nixon saying we're looking at Hughes.. on 13:29 - Dec 31 by Whos_blue

This speculation is a worry.
KM to Brighton would be a great fit.
The thing is, in a couple of years we could be doing a Brighton.
I guess a lot of it will come done to KM's eagerness to get to the prem with or without us.

Why is it a good fit for McKenna? He uproots his family for a job that he cannot improve on his successors with at an established PL club where he is less likely to have an influence than here. Brighton are as good as they’re ever going to be. Same with Palace. Can’t see it.

I can see him going to a Spurs, Everton, Aston Villa if they start failing, size club. Even Newcastle or at the lower end West Ham when the time is right.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024