Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Going back to vinyl 12:39 - Jan 5 with 1431 viewsazuremerlangus

Been thinking out it for a while but I’m not convinced it makes any sense. Having replaced most of my vinyl years ago with CDs it worries me that it will just be an expensive trip down nostalgic street for a few weeks.

Anyone been down this road recently who could add their views/experience please?

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Going back to vinyl on 12:48 - Jan 5 with 1376 viewsfactual_blue

Go streaming. Tidal or Deezer and one of these.

https://www.hifonix.co.uk/detail/dcs-apex-dac-integrated-player?color=silver&

You'll save a fortune in the long run.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Going back to vinyl on 12:49 - Jan 5 with 1370 views_clive_baker_

You could turn this up loudly for your fix

This post has been edited by an administrator
Going back to vinyl on 13:19 - Jan 5 with 1285 viewsBasuco

Vinyl has far superior sound quality to CD / digital recordings, if you value quality of sound go for it, but as you say it could get expensive, but well worth it.
Going back to vinyl on 13:27 - Jan 5 with 1257 viewsblueasfook

Going back to vinyl on 13:19 - Jan 5 by Basuco

Vinyl has far superior sound quality to CD / digital recordings, if you value quality of sound go for it, but as you say it could get expensive, but well worth it.

Can Vinyl support modern sound formats such as Dolby Atmos, Pro Logic, etc though?

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Going back to vinyl on 13:30 - Jan 5 with 1236 viewsBlueschev

I did it a couple years back having not replaced my broken turntable for over a decade. It's the best decision you'll make. It will totally reignite your love of buying music. It will not be cheap however, especially if you live within walking distance of a really good record shop as I do.
Going back to vinyl on 14:00 - Jan 5 with 1179 viewsstringy

do it. I lugged my collection around for years gathering dust, then finally bought a new amp, turntable and speakers and it's awesome - nerd out cooking, or doing a jigsaw and wading through my collection - and I buy new stuff (while my cds now gather dust)
Going back to vinyl on 14:06 - Jan 5 with 1153 viewsazuremerlangus

Going back to vinyl on 13:19 - Jan 5 by Basuco

Done some looking into this and the evidence seems to favour CDs when tested for frequency response etc. vinyl has the warmer sound…

Turning this on its head I remember the first time I heard a CD and how clear and responsive the sound was compared to vinyl.

Serious money for a decent turntable and vinyl ain’t cheap. My worry is like the vinyl the turntable will gather be gathering dust within a few weeks…

Going back to vinyl on 14:06 - Jan 5 with 1150 viewsDubtractor

Going back to vinyl on 14:00 - Jan 5 by stringy

do it. I lugged my collection around for years gathering dust, then finally bought a new amp, turntable and speakers and it's awesome - nerd out cooking, or doing a jigsaw and wading through my collection - and I buy new stuff (while my cds now gather dust)

Decent amp and speakers is key.

I do a bit of everything for music buying and listening. Still buy vinyl and cd, plus some digital stuff through bandcamp, as well as a bit of Spotify to fill in the gaps.

Re the OP, be under no illusion that buying vinyl, old or new, is anything other than very expensive!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Login to get fewer ads

Going back to vinyl on 14:08 - Jan 5 with 1145 viewsBluespeed225

Storage innit. Most vinyl people just want ‘the look’ of shelves full of records to impress friends and colleagues on Teams calls. Just go round the charity shops, buy all the albums they have, stick a few good ones in there that you’ll actually play and you’re good to go. Get the look for under £100. I speak as someone who had a massive 45 collection, but it sat and did nothing and as I didn’t DJ anymore I couldn’t be arsed to change disc every 3 minutes at home. It all went to better homes and gets used in public.
Going back to vinyl on 14:10 - Jan 5 with 1116 viewsazuremerlangus

Going back to vinyl on 14:00 - Jan 5 by stringy

I have gone back to serious hi-fi but decided to pause before adding a turntable. CDs and streaming has been great but I’m not really sold on revisiting vinyl - and cost is putting me off at the mo.

Going back to vinyl on 14:16 - Jan 5 with 1085 viewsWhos_blue

I'm a dyed in the wool vinyl geek who never made the switch to CD or more recently to streaming.
That said, I'm not sniffy about either and I stream misic from spotify most days, but for proper listening I always use vinyl.
Although the 90s were tough for vinyl lovers, I've never regretted it.
My collection remains around the 1500 mark, but I do have the occasional cull.
My love for music also extends to audiophile hi-fi too, so have spent £1000s on my system over the last 30+ years.
One thing I would say is that if you are considering moving to vinyl, I would also urge you to consider what hi-fi you're planning to use. Like others have said, it can be an expensive hobby, with a good starter system of turntable, amp, speakers and cables costing between £1000 to £1500. I certainly wouldn't go much lower than £1k.
Hope this helps but PM me if you'd like to chat further.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Going back to vinyl on 14:17 - Jan 5 with 1081 viewsChaplinsLob

For Christmas, I was given a cheap turntable, speakers, and a Bowie compilation album. It was a really nice thought but the quality was so bad it was painful.
Going back to vinyl on 14:21 - Jan 5 with 1048 viewsFoD_Blue

I've been buying vinyl for over 40 years. I wouldn't consider myself a collector, I just prefer the format as I find it more audiably and physically pleasing.

Over recent years, the cost of vinyl has become insane, with new release albums often aproaching almost £50 compared to £15 for a CD.

I tend to buy music that I like on CD and music that I love on Vinyl, this keeps the cost down considerably. I also stream music when I am working from home or otherwise occupied and just using the music for background.
Going back to vinyl on 14:26 - Jan 5 with 1012 viewsford6600

Have kept my vinyl as not a huge amount and may become valuable or might start playing again one day. Noticed in HMV that the BEATLES greatest hits albums were priced at £74.99
or so? Modern copies? If so what are 1970s copies worth?!
Going back to vinyl on 14:28 - Jan 5 with 998 viewsSwansea_Blue

Going back to vinyl on 14:16 - Jan 5 by Whos_blue

I'm a dyed in the wool vinyl geek who never made the switch to CD or more recently to streaming.
That said, I'm not sniffy about either and I stream misic from spotify most days, but for proper listening I always use vinyl.
Although the 90s were tough for vinyl lovers, I've never regretted it.
My collection remains around the 1500 mark, but I do have the occasional cull.
My love for music also extends to audiophile hi-fi too, so have spent £1000s on my system over the last 30+ years.
One thing I would say is that if you are considering moving to vinyl, I would also urge you to consider what hi-fi you're planning to use. Like others have said, it can be an expensive hobby, with a good starter system of turntable, amp, speakers and cables costing between £1000 to £1500. I certainly wouldn't go much lower than £1k.
Hope this helps but PM me if you'd like to chat further.

I’ve been thinking for a while about re-starting. I had a half(ish) decent system, but it’s gathered dust since the speakers gave out. The streaming options have put me off if anything. It used to be simple - whack media in/on machine, press play.

I think the bigger problem though is I’ve fallen out of love with music without realising. I used to listen non-stop. When the hifi wasn’t on, my Walkman was. When that wasn’t, the car stereo was, and that always had to be upgraded. I’m not sure I’d know where to start now, and would worry that I’d spend a fortune on kit and then not get as much enjoyment as I used to.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Going back to vinyl on 14:40 - Jan 5 with 962 viewsZx1988

Going back to vinyl on 14:26 - Jan 5 by ford6600

Have kept my vinyl as not a huge amount and may become valuable or might start playing again one day. Noticed in HMV that the BEATLES greatest hits albums were priced at £74.99
or so? Modern copies? If so what are 1970s copies worth?!

I'd hazard a guess at "a good sight less than £74.99".

Prices for modern re-issues are crazy, and even more so if you're getting them from HMV.

Take 'Greatest Hits' by Queen (chosen as being a fairly ubiquitous LP).

A modern pressing can be bought from HMV for £30 (reduced from £40(!)), whereas an original copy in good condition can be sourced on Discogs for about £10.

I'm sure that there are some notable exceptions, but modern re-issue vinyl feels like a mugs' game.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Going back to vinyl on 14:56 - Jan 5 with 923 viewsketton_itfc

Going back to vinyl on 14:06 - Jan 5 by azuremerlangus

Done some looking into this and the evidence seems to favour CDs when tested for frequency response etc. vinyl has the warmer sound…

Turning this on its head I remember the first time I heard a CD and how clear and responsive the sound was compared to vinyl.

Serious money for a decent turntable and vinyl ain’t cheap. My worry is like the vinyl the turntable will gather be gathering dust within a few weeks…

I've been out of the hi-fi scene for a while, but I still have separates from the 80s that work beautifully. I've not really understood the vinyl comeback, especially from a sound point of view.

Back in the day, there was a noticeable difference between vinyl and CDs. Vinyl was a totally analogue process (sound to master tape, then to vinyl), whereas some of the early CDs could sound clear but harsh, likely a consequence of early digital processing.

However, as electronics have progressed, the sound quality from CDs (I'm sceptical about some streaming services due to compression) has improved too.

Considering a lot of modern vinyl is pressed from digital masters, I'm not sure I see the benefit now. Sure, old records will still have that original 'something' people talk about, but when comparing modern vinyl to CDs, I really don't know.
Going back to vinyl on 15:14 - Jan 5 with 884 viewsronnyd

If you aren't an out and out audiophile, i think that you could be spending thousands for nothing. I have an old system of separates but find i mostly use my cd's or stream now. Laziness really i suppose.
Going back to vinyl on 15:14 - Jan 5 with 884 viewsjaykay

go proper retro get your self a jukebox. like i did several years ago to put all my singles i bought in the 60s on it.
plus my juke box has increased in value over the years

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Going back to vinyl on 15:17 - Jan 5 with 879 viewsazuremerlangus

Going back to vinyl on 14:56 - Jan 5 by ketton_itfc

I've been out of the hi-fi scene for a while, but I still have separates from the 80s that work beautifully. I've not really understood the vinyl comeback, especially from a sound point of view.

Back in the day, there was a noticeable difference between vinyl and CDs. Vinyl was a totally analogue process (sound to master tape, then to vinyl), whereas some of the early CDs could sound clear but harsh, likely a consequence of early digital processing.

However, as electronics have progressed, the sound quality from CDs (I'm sceptical about some streaming services due to compression) has improved too.

Considering a lot of modern vinyl is pressed from digital masters, I'm not sure I see the benefit now. Sure, old records will still have that original 'something' people talk about, but when comparing modern vinyl to CDs, I really don't know.

Having done a bit of online research I am kind of have a similar view, which is why when I returned to hi-fi I was hesitant at the possible turntable bolt-on - and still am.

I need convincing that the expense is worth more than just a trip down retro memory lane.

If I still had 300 + vinyl albums waiting to see the light of day again then I would take the plunge and fork out serious coin on a decent turntable, but I don’t . Apart from about a dozen lurking under the stairs I will be starting from scratch.

Going back to vinyl on 16:10 - Jan 5 with 793 viewsChimayBlue

Going back to vinyl on 15:17 - Jan 5 by azuremerlangus

Having done a bit of online research I am kind of have a similar view, which is why when I returned to hi-fi I was hesitant at the possible turntable bolt-on - and still am.

I need convincing that the expense is worth more than just a trip down retro memory lane.

If I still had 300 + vinyl albums waiting to see the light of day again then I would take the plunge and fork out serious coin on a decent turntable, but I don’t . Apart from about a dozen lurking under the stairs I will be starting from scratch.

I love music and went Vinyl -> CD -> MP3 (around 20000) and then there was Spotify etc. MP3 and Spotify destroyed my love for music. CD's may be better quality and decent equipment is a must if you want to have a good sound... I've been back with Vinyl for 5 years now and my love for music is back how it used to be. And then there is "the chase", that feeling of finding a record that you've been searching for (like opening a packet of panini football stickers and finding the player you're after). Touching a record and putting the needle on is just magic. The fact that you can no longer zap is a blessing in disguise, you'll find yourself listening to the whole side of an album again which will end up reminding you that that is how an album should be listened to.
Going back to vinyl on 16:22 - Jan 5 with 774 viewsford6600

Going back to vinyl on 14:40 - Jan 5 by Zx1988

I'd hazard a guess at "a good sight less than £74.99".

Prices for modern re-issues are crazy, and even more so if you're getting them from HMV.

Take 'Greatest Hits' by Queen (chosen as being a fairly ubiquitous LP).

A modern pressing can be bought from HMV for £30 (reduced from £40(!)), whereas an original copy in good condition can be sourced on Discogs for about £10.

I'm sure that there are some notable exceptions, but modern re-issue vinyl feels like a mugs' game.

Yeah thought so, yes HMV prices, heard that vinyl production costs nowadays are high, hence crazy (to us) reissue prices. So old vinyl second hand prob worth collecting...
My Linda Ronstadt album is prob still worth a bomb though...?!!
Going back to vinyl on 16:28 - Jan 5 with 754 viewschicoazul

Going back to vinyl on 14:10 - Jan 5 by azuremerlangus

I have gone back to serious hi-fi but decided to pause before adding a turntable. CDs and streaming has been great but I’m not really sold on revisiting vinyl - and cost is putting me off at the mo.

Same here. I lust after the Leak systems on Richer Sounds but the price of vinyl is deranged. I’d stick with CD and get good amp CDT and speakers I was you. As it is I’m sticking to streaming with Apple Music and Sonos.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Going back to vinyl on 16:43 - Jan 5 with 712 viewssoupytwist

I got a turntable for my 50th birthday five years ago, having been without one for a number of years. My wife and I hadn't got rid of our records however, but we'd bought loads of CDs over the years. I did have a good enough amp and speakers still though.

I don't really buy new reissue vinyl, anything new that I want I buy on CD as they're a decent price. However, I really enjoy playing the stuff I got in the 80s and 90s and second hand stuff I've bought since.

If you've only got relatively few records, not sure I'd spend the money on buying the kit and a load more vinyl. Stick with the CDs.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024