Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
LOWER NORTH - WTF are you doing?! Seriously 18:26 - Jan 13 with 16167 viewsunstableblue

This is a town team that is missing its captain, it’s main central mid forward, it’s best forward. Playing against a very strong team. And we’ve clawed it back to 1-1.

And YET TO STILL DON’T SING?!

The lads need the support.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

LOWER NORTH - WTF are you doing?! Seriously on 22:29 - Jan 14 with 1320 viewssoupytwist

From my position in the middle of upper SAR the Sunderland fans were probably the loudest away fans this season. Drowned out most other noise when they got going. I'm thinking of moving to a different location next season as I'm fed up of hearing loud away supporters most of the time.

There's a small knot of people on the Cobbold side of upper SAR who spend quite a chunk of their time singing at the away fans every game. But there's not many of them and you can't hear them where I sit.

I can barely ever hear A block from where I sit but that's hardly surprising, they're down the other end of the ground and facing across the pitch.

We can hear the North when it gets going but by then it's normally too late to join in.

This season there are normally attempts to get singing going in the upper SAR. I expect that it's because it's one of the areas where tickets are available on a match by match basis so the people there may be those who would have bought tickets in louder areas of the ground when they were available. So you end up with the flask and blanket long-term season ticket holders mixed with recent interlopers (me and my son) and the match by match brigade. We get a right mix near us so there's no consistency. Until we scored yesterday the bloke behind me (not seen him before) was constantly moaning. I finally snapped when we scored and asked him in a rather robust fashion to now give it a rest. From then on he was more positive and between him, his mates, my son and I, and other people around we were trying our best to latch on to attempts to get some atmosphere. I think that in the second half we did alright, as did the rest of the ground.

Yesterday was frustrating but the inept ref and the second half performance did mean it got going a bit.
Good post, good insights on 23:01 - Jan 14 with 1263 viewsunstableblue

LOWER NORTH - WTF are you doing?! Seriously on 22:29 - Jan 14 by soupytwist

From my position in the middle of upper SAR the Sunderland fans were probably the loudest away fans this season. Drowned out most other noise when they got going. I'm thinking of moving to a different location next season as I'm fed up of hearing loud away supporters most of the time.

There's a small knot of people on the Cobbold side of upper SAR who spend quite a chunk of their time singing at the away fans every game. But there's not many of them and you can't hear them where I sit.

I can barely ever hear A block from where I sit but that's hardly surprising, they're down the other end of the ground and facing across the pitch.

We can hear the North when it gets going but by then it's normally too late to join in.

This season there are normally attempts to get singing going in the upper SAR. I expect that it's because it's one of the areas where tickets are available on a match by match basis so the people there may be those who would have bought tickets in louder areas of the ground when they were available. So you end up with the flask and blanket long-term season ticket holders mixed with recent interlopers (me and my son) and the match by match brigade. We get a right mix near us so there's no consistency. Until we scored yesterday the bloke behind me (not seen him before) was constantly moaning. I finally snapped when we scored and asked him in a rather robust fashion to now give it a rest. From then on he was more positive and between him, his mates, my son and I, and other people around we were trying our best to latch on to attempts to get some atmosphere. I think that in the second half we did alright, as did the rest of the ground.

Yesterday was frustrating but the inept ref and the second half performance did mean it got going a bit.

Thanks for sharing

I think what comes to mind is having more areas spread around the ground which are designated singing areas, much like Block A

Even if its only a block of say 200

Two mates (who are now returning to watching Town for the first time since the Mick era) who are well up for singing were in the Pioneer Upper, the majority of people around them just aren't up for singing or getting fired up (which is fair enough) but that there were like minded people dotted around

In the Pioneer middle there's actually I'd say 40% of people who are up for it, and often lift those around them.

I think the conclusion is be honest with yourself if you're up for being a vocal supporter or if you want to be passive - nothing wrong with wanting to just spectate - and sit in sections that suit your preference.

Those in the Lower North need to realise they are in the de facto singing area, if you're perhaps not as vocal and rabid as you used to be - maybe move?! But the club need to be clearer.

Certainly across the Upper SAR there are clearly enough like minded supporters - they just need to group together, and hopefully when 200 sing, the people less inclined, get fired up to join in.

Apologies is people are finding this thread a bit annoying! I get it.

Good post, good insights on 23:09 - Jan 14 with 1240 viewsJakeITFC

Good post, good insights on 23:01 - Jan 14 by unstableblue

Thanks for sharing

I think what comes to mind is having more areas spread around the ground which are designated singing areas, much like Block A

Even if its only a block of say 200

Two mates (who are now returning to watching Town for the first time since the Mick era) who are well up for singing were in the Pioneer Upper, the majority of people around them just aren't up for singing or getting fired up (which is fair enough) but that there were like minded people dotted around

In the Pioneer middle there's actually I'd say 40% of people who are up for it, and often lift those around them.

I think the conclusion is be honest with yourself if you're up for being a vocal supporter or if you want to be passive - nothing wrong with wanting to just spectate - and sit in sections that suit your preference.

Those in the Lower North need to realise they are in the de facto singing area, if you're perhaps not as vocal and rabid as you used to be - maybe move?! But the club need to be clearer.

Certainly across the Upper SAR there are clearly enough like minded supporters - they just need to group together, and hopefully when 200 sing, the people less inclined, get fired up to join in.

Apologies is people are finding this thread a bit annoying! I get it.

An unfortunate bi-product of our success is that the Blue Action move to section 5 is now harder than ever - if season ticket holders there were reluctant to move when they had the choice of the stadium to move to, there’s zero chance that they’ll move now there are only the dregs left with the amount of ST holders we have now.

I think the comments about the development of the new Cobbold are the important consideration here, atmosphere has to be an important part of the planning in that project.
Good post, good insights on 23:20 - Jan 14 with 1213 viewstonydinning

Good post, good insights on 23:09 - Jan 14 by JakeITFC

An unfortunate bi-product of our success is that the Blue Action move to section 5 is now harder than ever - if season ticket holders there were reluctant to move when they had the choice of the stadium to move to, there’s zero chance that they’ll move now there are only the dregs left with the amount of ST holders we have now.

I think the comments about the development of the new Cobbold are the important consideration here, atmosphere has to be an important part of the planning in that project.

I really like what someone else said about a corner stand from the North Stand into the new Cobbold. I know Mark Ashton likes his four stand stadia but that's literally what's needed: something to link the two groups.

As long as it didn't fill up with ever more people going there *for* the atmosphere, not to *make* the atmosphere.

Poll: Is it time to rotate keepers and give Walton his spot back?

LOWER NORTH - WTF are you doing?! Seriously on 10:20 - Jan 15 with 1011 viewsLeaky

Could it be that people complaining about noise in SBR lower are watching on telly where sky can vary the sound. I was in SBR lower section 5 most of us were singing all game
LOWER NORTH - WTF are you doing?! Seriously on 10:50 - Jan 15 with 960 viewsgainsboroughblue

LOWER NORTH - WTF are you doing?! Seriously on 10:20 - Jan 15 by Leaky

Could it be that people complaining about noise in SBR lower are watching on telly where sky can vary the sound. I was in SBR lower section 5 most of us were singing all game

I have wondered about the 'Sky sound' thing. Certainly on the bonus streams, it has sounded deathly quiet at all grounds. I watched us play Hull earlier in the season on the red button and it was really really quiet and I couldn't understand it with us playing so well. Everything seemed so muted. When I watched the ITFC official highlights from the same game, there was much more sound.
[Post edited 15 Jan 10:50]

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

LOWER NORTH - WTF are you doing?! Seriously on 12:00 - Jan 15 with 891 viewsChocorange

LOWER NORTH - WTF are you doing?! Seriously on 10:20 - Jan 15 by Leaky

I stand in section 5 as well and theres a lot around us who sing but looking further forward to the front 6 or 7 rows of section 5 , the ones who sing or even clap are few and far between .
It’s like we have attracted people to the atmosphere end of the ground, who don’t know they have to sing to keep it alive… a bit like Man U and their tourists or Chelsea’s prawn sarnie brigade.

For the Sunderland game , I don’t think there was a sky speaker thing in front of the North , where there usually is , I saw one around block B of the Cobbold , this would effect noise on the tv, away fans always have their speaker.

The games atmos improved 2nd half , as some have pointed out the inept ref played a part in this.

I think there are other elements that have made it quieter in the SBRL, up til around this time last year and when the barrier was put up to make people sit in the upper if they had a ticket there , the drop off of noise was also caused by that.

How loud are Section A and Blue Action , in section 5 not that loud , however the bouncing , turning around and Leif celebrations , are impressive and great!
Song choice by Blue Action could be better , some songs are sung over and over without getting buy in, the Sam Morsy he’s Egyptian one , to She’s Electric is often sung but never gets traction , and drones on ,( would be surprised if much of section 4 can hear it at all) yet at away games the simpler Super Sam , For our superb captain is way way way louder but never sung at home…

I do like to hear the new songs and personally don’t have a problem with the Omari one , give the kid some support I say.

As others have said Ipswich to Amazing Grace is worth a go, and for me Blue. Army is better than blue and white army ( think back to that monster version of it at Barnsley last season) .

A lot of those songs are simple ones , easy to gain traction and others to join in, keep it simple.

The Ladapo in attack one could do with updating too ..Hursty , Chaplin , Broady maybe?

The Broady one , with slip and slide lyrics included is better … not just the just can’t get enough over and over was excellent at Derby last season , rarely sang at home.

A bit more thought into what songs are on the playlist.

And people who dont sing in the lower north , consider moving elsewhere , the improved atmosphere from more people singing there , will help your enjoyment of the match wherever else you are in the ground.
LOWER NORTH - WTF are you doing?! Seriously on 16:11 - Jan 15 with 745 viewsMedblue

LOWER NORTH - WTF are you doing?! Seriously on 18:28 - Jan 14 by JakeITFC

Another boring acoustics post, but to me yesterday the Sunderland fans sounded so loud in the first half (as good as I can remember an away following in ages) and I couldn’t hear block A at all (quite a few minutes of genuine silence in the ground at times which is just horrible), but then you watch the Town specific highlights on the Town in 5 and other clips and you can hear the block A drum and songs that I just don’t hear in the stadium.

I don’t know whether where I am (Section 4 in the lower North) is just a weird dead spot acoustically, but it would be interesting if the club were able to do some sort of sound monitoring or decibel level checks of various points - it certainly seems dumb to have the away fans in the bit of the ground that makes the best racket. FWIW the lads in Section 4 have the same problem as Blue Action the other side in that the majority of the chants that start are dead by the time they reach the middle of Section 5 (although admittedly there is some absolute Shiite both sung and shouted in Section 4).

A lot of sound engineers on here all of a sudden talking about the “acoustics” of the stadium.
The only acoustic problem at PR is that people don’t want to sing.
Login to get fewer ads

LOWER NORTH - WTF are you doing?! Seriously on 16:30 - Jan 15 with 709 viewsJakeITFC

LOWER NORTH - WTF are you doing?! Seriously on 16:11 - Jan 15 by Medblue

A lot of sound engineers on here all of a sudden talking about the “acoustics” of the stadium.
The only acoustic problem at PR is that people don’t want to sing.

The point of my post is that I don't understand the acoustics because I'm not a sound engineer, which you might have picked up if you could read properly.
Nailed it… a must read on 19:42 - Jan 15 with 614 viewsunstableblue

LOWER NORTH - WTF are you doing?! Seriously on 12:00 - Jan 15 by Chocorange

I stand in section 5 as well and theres a lot around us who sing but looking further forward to the front 6 or 7 rows of section 5 , the ones who sing or even clap are few and far between .
It’s like we have attracted people to the atmosphere end of the ground, who don’t know they have to sing to keep it alive… a bit like Man U and their tourists or Chelsea’s prawn sarnie brigade.

For the Sunderland game , I don’t think there was a sky speaker thing in front of the North , where there usually is , I saw one around block B of the Cobbold , this would effect noise on the tv, away fans always have their speaker.

The games atmos improved 2nd half , as some have pointed out the inept ref played a part in this.

I think there are other elements that have made it quieter in the SBRL, up til around this time last year and when the barrier was put up to make people sit in the upper if they had a ticket there , the drop off of noise was also caused by that.

How loud are Section A and Blue Action , in section 5 not that loud , however the bouncing , turning around and Leif celebrations , are impressive and great!
Song choice by Blue Action could be better , some songs are sung over and over without getting buy in, the Sam Morsy he’s Egyptian one , to She’s Electric is often sung but never gets traction , and drones on ,( would be surprised if much of section 4 can hear it at all) yet at away games the simpler Super Sam , For our superb captain is way way way louder but never sung at home…

I do like to hear the new songs and personally don’t have a problem with the Omari one , give the kid some support I say.

As others have said Ipswich to Amazing Grace is worth a go, and for me Blue. Army is better than blue and white army ( think back to that monster version of it at Barnsley last season) .

A lot of those songs are simple ones , easy to gain traction and others to join in, keep it simple.

The Ladapo in attack one could do with updating too ..Hursty , Chaplin , Broady maybe?

The Broady one , with slip and slide lyrics included is better … not just the just can’t get enough over and over was excellent at Derby last season , rarely sang at home.

A bit more thought into what songs are on the playlist.

And people who dont sing in the lower north , consider moving elsewhere , the improved atmosphere from more people singing there , will help your enjoyment of the match wherever else you are in the ground.

Good insight from someone in the Lower North

Who confirms what we all know is the real issue.

And ends with a great call to action:

“And people who dont sing in the lower north , consider moving elsewhere , the improved atmosphere from more people singing there , will help your enjoyment of the match wherever else you are in the ground.”

Nailed it… a must read on 20:59 - Jan 15 with 551 viewspennblue

Nailed it… a must read on 19:42 - Jan 15 by unstableblue

Good insight from someone in the Lower North

Who confirms what we all know is the real issue.

And ends with a great call to action:

“And people who dont sing in the lower north , consider moving elsewhere , the improved atmosphere from more people singing there , will help your enjoyment of the match wherever else you are in the ground.”

Unfortunately it really is not easy to sort out now due to lack of seats elsewhere, so even if the non singers wanted to help they are now limited in choice.

The problem is a combination of a number of ill thought our decisions where atmosphere was never considered. This compound effect has left us in a bit of a mess.

The club cannot easily step in either, i mean how do you assess whether someone is contributing enough or not.

But it really is not a new problem at Ipswich, we have never been the most vociferous at home due to our demographic.

Leeds is still noisy and the old skool singers are down one end and the new kids elsewhere, but there are several differences, demographic is different as they are a city that attract youngsters, they have kop stands, and northerners are bloody loud

Solution? Smash down churchmans and build us a kop. Reserve 1,000 spaces for blue action members only

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024