Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Don’t understand the little cloud of negativity around… 14:21 - Feb 11 with 4445 viewsSitfcB

To me it really doesn’t feel like it’s only 1 win in 9, we've had some really good performances within these last 9 games and I’ve left games happy and content with performances and the effort shown, even if it was just the second half performances like Leicester and Preston (a)

The only game I left truly disappointed was the Leeds game, understandably.

There’s a difference to not winning and playing badly and not winning and playing well.

Add the fact we’ve been unlucky in a lot of them as well.

The tide turns throughout the season and there are signs that we will get back on a winning run again very soon, and we need to.

People need to remember we’ve just had 4 years in League 1, 3 of those very mediocre, we’re outperforming established Championship teams some of which who’ve not long been in the PL, we’d all like to win every game but that’s impossible.

McKenna has emphasised all season long, especially after a game, what a tough league this is and every win is massive, people forget we had such a good start and if the 30 game form was spread a bit differently they’d be none of this ‘anxiety’ amongst some - if people don’t then I urge you to read McKenna’s post match comments after every game.

Bring on Millwall, can’t wait.

COYB

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Don’t understand the little cloud of negativity around… on 07:58 - Feb 12 with 1252 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

I don’t live or work in Suffolk, and it’s just been refreshing that we are back in the limelight. Fans of other clubs are talking an interest, “your lot belong in the prem”, “that McKenna is a good manager isn’t he”. The heightened national media focus and the work our in-house marketing team are great - people I’d say aren’t football fans, or extremely casual ones have seen the stuff on Ed Sheeran.

Basically it’s just a great feel-good factor after over a decade of being an irrelevance, where the typical response was “oh Ipswich fan…what league are they in now…”.
Don’t understand the little cloud of negativity around… on 08:33 - Feb 12 with 1210 viewsitfcjoe

Totally agree with this, we are just getting on the wrong side of the fine margins whereas throught the whole of 2023 everything that could go for us did go for us. Now the ref is making a decisiont hat doesn't help us, the shot against is creeping in at the post rather than hitting it, the shot is being clawed out by their keeper opposed to going in, etc.

A game like QPR at the start of the season, Armstrong's shot hits both posts and stays out, at Southampton the ball hits Hladky in the face and goes behind.....

But we are still playing well, by basically every metric we are between the 2nd and 4th best side in the league - which is quite incredible.

You have to go back to Sir Alf Ramsey's time in charge for a second tier campaign where we are picking up this many points (adjusted to 3 for a win) and this is more than we ever did under John Lyall, George Burley or Joe Royle at this level.

We are a fantastic side, we've just come through the toughest run of the season and bar QPR at home there aren't any results/outcomes where you look at them as total stinkers (maybe the scoreline at Elland Road but losing to Leeds is no surprise there).

We now go into a run of games where we should be able to accumulate points as we were at the start of the season, with the squad looking well balanced and fit as anything - we are managing this season to perfection but just unfortunate that perfection may not be enough with what we are up against - we are 11 clear of 5th FFS!
[Post edited 12 Feb 8:35]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Don’t understand the little cloud of negativity around… on 08:50 - Feb 12 with 1181 viewsKieran_Knows

Don’t understand the little cloud of negativity around… on 08:33 - Feb 12 by itfcjoe

Totally agree with this, we are just getting on the wrong side of the fine margins whereas throught the whole of 2023 everything that could go for us did go for us. Now the ref is making a decisiont hat doesn't help us, the shot against is creeping in at the post rather than hitting it, the shot is being clawed out by their keeper opposed to going in, etc.

A game like QPR at the start of the season, Armstrong's shot hits both posts and stays out, at Southampton the ball hits Hladky in the face and goes behind.....

But we are still playing well, by basically every metric we are between the 2nd and 4th best side in the league - which is quite incredible.

You have to go back to Sir Alf Ramsey's time in charge for a second tier campaign where we are picking up this many points (adjusted to 3 for a win) and this is more than we ever did under John Lyall, George Burley or Joe Royle at this level.

We are a fantastic side, we've just come through the toughest run of the season and bar QPR at home there aren't any results/outcomes where you look at them as total stinkers (maybe the scoreline at Elland Road but losing to Leeds is no surprise there).

We now go into a run of games where we should be able to accumulate points as we were at the start of the season, with the squad looking well balanced and fit as anything - we are managing this season to perfection but just unfortunate that perfection may not be enough with what we are up against - we are 11 clear of 5th FFS!

Only 11 points clear of 5th? McKenna out I say.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Don’t understand the little cloud of negativity around… on 08:57 - Feb 12 with 1165 viewsReuser_is_God

Don’t understand the little cloud of negativity around… on 08:50 - Feb 12 by Kieran_Knows

Only 11 points clear of 5th? McKenna out I say.

Wes Burns’ fault

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Don’t understand the little cloud of negativity around… on 08:58 - Feb 12 with 1161 viewsKieran_Knows

Don’t understand the little cloud of negativity around… on 08:57 - Feb 12 by Reuser_is_God

Wes Burns’ fault

Wes Burns’ barber*

Or something like that.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Don’t understand the little cloud of negativity around… on 09:11 - Feb 12 with 1112 viewsbaxterbasics

It's natural that with the performance of the team over the last 12 months being so spectacular, expectations have also risen.

Saying "you'd have taken this position if offered at start of the season" might be true but when you've started so strong it is still going to be a little disappointing to see us sliding back down the table. It's more about our current trajectory rather than being concerned about where we currently are.

In a way I wish we'd had our rough patch earlier before going on a run.

But there's still lots to look forward to and hope for, and the fact we've gone from looking like a long-term L1 side to Championship challengers in such a short space of time should give us regular reason to celebrate.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Good upvote gatherer this. (n/t) on 09:56 - Feb 12 with 1062 viewstextbackup

Good upvote gatherer this. (n/t) on 14:27 - Feb 11 by Bloots

He’s played the crowd perfectly he, he knew what he was doing 😂

Upvote hunting slag

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Don’t understand the little cloud of negativity around… on 10:38 - Feb 12 with 1018 viewsLankHenners

Don’t understand the little cloud of negativity around… on 08:33 - Feb 12 by itfcjoe

Said the other day that it always feels worse when you get a string of unfavourable results in a row as even though the overall picture still looks good, in the moment every point dropped can feel like a big blow. To be 4 points off 2nd at this stage of the season (with us having to play that team at home and they having to travel to tricky aways before that) is something everyone would have taken at the start of the season. Just a bit unlucky really that we're behind three of the strongest relegated teams in recent history.

Also worth remembering before this sticky run we beat Watford and Boro back to back where lots were saying a point at each would be good results! Hopefully this run coming up allows us to put some wins together and everyone can just chill out a little.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Login to get fewer ads

Don’t understand the little cloud of negativity around… on 11:58 - Feb 12 with 984 viewsVic

I think the only negativity is coming from the fact that we've done so well and have slipped off those standards a bit in terms of results the last couple of months. However you disguise in 1 win in 9 isn't great after what we'd been doing.

It just needs to be tempered by the reality that we were doing far better than our wildest dreams. I just think that some of us had started to dare to dream that we might just keep that form up through out the season. Unfortunately We've dropped off a bit while Saints and dirty Leeds have found the level of consistency that only us and Leicester had for the first 4 months of the season.

Have to admit that for the first time this season i looked at the table below us on Saturday. What a pleasant sight to see the rest still 11 points behind. But we really could do with getting back to winning more than we draw or lose soon. If we do we'll be very strong in the playoffs.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Don’t understand the little cloud of negativity around… on 12:09 - Feb 12 with 965 viewstextbackup

Don’t understand the little cloud of negativity around… on 11:58 - Feb 12 by Vic

I think the only negativity is coming from the fact that we've done so well and have slipped off those standards a bit in terms of results the last couple of months. However you disguise in 1 win in 9 isn't great after what we'd been doing.

It just needs to be tempered by the reality that we were doing far better than our wildest dreams. I just think that some of us had started to dare to dream that we might just keep that form up through out the season. Unfortunately We've dropped off a bit while Saints and dirty Leeds have found the level of consistency that only us and Leicester had for the first 4 months of the season.

Have to admit that for the first time this season i looked at the table below us on Saturday. What a pleasant sight to see the rest still 11 points behind. But we really could do with getting back to winning more than we draw or lose soon. If we do we'll be very strong in the playoffs.

I keep seeing 5/6th etc 11/12/13 points behind us… then remember leeds and Soton were that only 8 weeks back… when we held 2nd spot. (They are excellent teams so I’m not going to dwell on that)

Am I a little concerned, yeah I am. We aren’t playing poorly at all, but mistakes are getting punished, and we aren’t putting away some big chances.

I don’t feel bad that I’m feeling that way. Doesn’t mean I hate KM and the great set of players that got us here.

I’ve just got a cautious eye on things, because not finishing in the top 6 now would be an absolute disaster IMHO

Don’t understand the little cloud of negativity around… on 12:21 - Feb 12 with 944 viewstractorboy1978

Don’t understand the little cloud of negativity around… on 12:09 - Feb 12 by textbackup

I keep seeing 5/6th etc 11/12/13 points behind us… then remember leeds and Soton were that only 8 weeks back… when we held 2nd spot. (They are excellent teams so I’m not going to dwell on that)

Am I a little concerned, yeah I am. We aren’t playing poorly at all, but mistakes are getting punished, and we aren’t putting away some big chances.

I don’t feel bad that I’m feeling that way. Doesn’t mean I hate KM and the great set of players that got us here.

I’ve just got a cautious eye on things, because not finishing in the top 6 now would be an absolute disaster IMHO

15 points from 16 games will very likely guarantee us the play offs though. And it'll likely even end up being less than that.
[Post edited 12 Feb 12:22]
Don’t understand the little cloud of negativity around… on 12:50 - Feb 12 with 899 viewstextbackup

Don’t understand the little cloud of negativity around… on 12:21 - Feb 12 by tractorboy1978

15 points from 16 games will very likely guarantee us the play offs though. And it'll likely even end up being less than that.
[Post edited 12 Feb 12:22]

Ok, that might be true.

Would you fancy going into the playoffs off the back of 15 points from the next 16 games?

Don’t understand the little cloud of negativity around… on 13:31 - Feb 12 with 856 viewstractorboy1978

Don’t understand the little cloud of negativity around… on 12:50 - Feb 12 by textbackup

Ok, that might be true.

Would you fancy going into the playoffs off the back of 15 points from the next 16 games?

If we did that, probably not. But that sort of points haul will get us there. It would take something catastrophic for us not to make it. The likelihood is we will end the season with a better ppg than our last 9 but worse than the ridiculous level we set at the start of the season.

I think whoever finishes 5th/6th is going to be a case of 'who is sitting on the chair when the music stops' to be honest. All the teams down to about 13th look as inconsistent as each other, although I suppose one may come out of nowhere and end the season on ridiculous form and with momentum.

If we end up in the play offs, we are probably going to need to beat Leeds or Southampton at Wembley. That's an incredibly tough ask whatever form we are in at the time.
Don’t understand the little cloud of negativity around… on 13:44 - Feb 12 with 835 viewsitfcjoe

Don’t understand the little cloud of negativity around… on 12:50 - Feb 12 by textbackup

Ok, that might be true.

No, but that isn't going to happen is it - we'll get in there comfortably

Don’t understand the little cloud of negativity around… on 13:54 - Feb 12 with 787 viewstextbackup

Don’t understand the little cloud of negativity around… on 13:44 - Feb 12 by itfcjoe

No, but that isn't going to happen is it - we'll get in there comfortably

I do believe that too, I think.

Also think we stand a much better chance over the two legs if we play away first.

Don’t understand the little cloud of negativity around… on 13:56 - Feb 12 with 773 viewsitfcjoe

Don’t understand the little cloud of negativity around… on 13:54 - Feb 12 by textbackup

I do believe that too, I think.

Also think we stand a much better chance over the two legs if we play away first.

Which will be the case, can't see that WBA team gaining 12 points on us, if anything I's expect that gap to get bigger over rest of season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024